Westworld Season 2

mackavelli

I loved the movie.

I loved season 1.

I tried to convince myself that I loved season 2 when it aired, but looking back it really was a convoluted shit show that took itself way too seriously,

Edited by Tom

I dont get the complaints... You knew its a non linear story based on first season.
They keep the parts hidden until the reveal well and it then ties it together. I was intrigued most of the season. Plus the total mindfuck at the end was amazing from my p.o.v.

• 1 month later...

Does give some encouragement.  There seems to be other worlds within our proper civilization.  

Anyway, thanks for the “2020”, HBO.  We kinda figured that.  Would you care to elaborate?   That looks like an awful lot of production design and principal photography for something not coming out for another 12 months.  

I’ll still defend season 2 - they tried to put on film the idea of being unstuck in time that Vonnegut pioneered in Slaughterhouse 5. Was it the easiest thing in the world to follow? No. Was it what the viewing public wanted? Probably not. Was it confusing? At times, yes. But it was audacious and they tried something hard. And I think they did what they set out to do. 

That said; I’m also glad they don’t seem to be going that route for S3. 

Good point in the parallel to Vonnegut, but they failed.  Season 2 had three really good standalone episodes (not bottled episodes, just three that were part of the arc that stood out as really great start to finish).  The others were just jumbled crap.  Not that the original movie stands culturally as a source work of multi-generational merit, but everybody from Hulu to HBO to Prime to AMC is realizing that adapting novels/original works into multi-season series is hard.  That part we know.  And then there's the challenge of you don't know how many seasons you'll have, so how do you telegraph your arc/acts/ending?  But the thing that's really becoming obvious is everybody wants to use their story as they exhaust the source material, to become a mirror for what they see wrong in society today. 

It's a bloated social media platform with little regard for the fact that the original author/creator/artist already fucking did that.  And it's your artistic license to adapt that mirror to what you see today, the lens being the point of art to begin with.  But everybody it seems is redundantly copying the same motifs.  The Handmaid's Tale should cover the plight of women in Trump's America.  Sure, that makes sense (though they're not doing it terribly well as of late).  But Westworld is struggling to combine the coming age of AI, with the rising power of the 1% of America, with callbacks to slavery, and now it seems Facism rears its head.  They're not that bright, and neither is their audience.  It should be Groundhog Day with more tits and violence.  

22 hours ago, Lobo said:

Good point in the parallel to Vonnegut, but they failed.  Season 2 had three really good standalone episodes (not bottled episodes, just three that were part of the arc that stood out as really great start to finish).  The others were just jumbled crap.  Not that the original movie stands culturally as a source work of multi-generational merit, but everybody from Hulu to HBO to Prime to AMC is realizing that adapting novels/original works into multi-season series is hard.  That part we know.  And then there's the challenge of you don't know how many seasons you'll have, so how do you telegraph your arc/acts/ending?  But the thing that's really becoming obvious is everybody wants to use their story as they exhaust the source material, to become a mirror for what they see wrong in society today. 

It's a bloated social media platform with little regard for the fact that the original author/creator/artist already fucking did that.  And it's your artistic license to adapt that mirror to what you see today, the lens being the point of art to begin with.  But everybody it seems is redundantly copying the same motifs.  The Handmaid's Tale should cover the plight of women in Trump's America.  Sure, that makes sense (though they're not doing it terribly well as of late).  But Westworld is struggling to combine the coming age of AI, with the rising power of the 1% of America, with callbacks to slavery, and now it seems Facism rears its head.  They're not that bright, and neither is their audience.  It should be Groundhog Day with more tits and violence.  

Groundhog day doesn't have tits.