Westworld Season 2

mackavelli

On 6/12/2018 at 4:53 AM, idigTexas said:

I thought the episode was done well, though having to read most of it was annoying.  Whether it was integral to the plot or a means to drive the story forward really doesn't concern me as much as some of you.  Sure, I want to get to the end at some point, but what's the rush? 

i don't think the stagnant overall plot is what's bothering people.  i think the fact that it is motionless is leading many to worry that they just don't have enough interesting story remaining to fill out the (10-12 eps+) rest of the show in a satisfying way.  that's where i'm at. 

this was a fine standalone episode that they absolutely have not earned. 

They grabbed me back in with the last episode. It was interesting, tied together a small plot-line, and although the story still seems like a jumbled mess overall, they narrowed the episode down and focused on a character/line for one episode, and it worked great.

And Heart-Shaped Box was a GREAT rendition. +rep for the post.

Still watching and looking forward to the finale, but the show really is an unnecessarily convoluted mess.  But I also feel that way about a lot of Jonathan Nolan stuff, mainly Inception and Interstellar.  (ducks)

My thoughts, for what they’re worth, after this episode. I think I’m batting .000 on predictions, but oh well. Here goes:

I think Ford’s end game is somehow to get the host’s code/consciousness to be written over or saved in the Forge - so that when the rich guests have their new selves printed, instead of their own consciousness that is uploaded it will be the host’s - his children. So that way they will overwrite humanity and it will be the dawn of a new species. 

21 minutes ago, hornian said:

My thoughts, for what they’re worth, after this episode. I think I’m batting .000 on predictions, but oh well. Here goes:

I think Ford’s end game is somehow to get the host’s code/consciousness to be written over or saved in the Forge - so that when the rich guests have their new selves printed, instead of their own consciousness that is uploaded it will be the host’s - his children. So that way they will overwrite humanity and it will be the dawn of a new species. 

Ooooh, good one!

Missed this in the episode:

Why Slaughterhouse-Five?
Nothing on Westworld is by accident, and this specific reference is an interesting choice. Why would William put his profile card in a copy of Slaughterhouse-Five, rather than on a shelf, in a drawer, or wherever else? Get this: Kurt Vonnegut’s book features a protagonist named Billy, which we hear William’s wife call him earlier in the episode. It’s a novel heavy on flashbacks and features an unreliable narrator, calling to mind how Westworld toys with its audience by mixing up its narrative with flashbacks and multiple timelines. Plus, consider how this line from the novel might apply to Westworld: “He never knows what part of his life he is going to have to act in next..” Aren’t we watching our own Billy “act” in a part of his life in these flashbacks? Putting the card in that book could be a clever Easter egg, or it could be a clue that not all is what it seems.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/westworld-questions-theories-season-2-episode-9.html

Edited by hornian

While it has been much more prevalent this season, the entire series has had a very noticeable fascination with parent/child relationships.  Even this season's intro sequence shows a host mother holding an infant.  The big question is whether the hosts will be able to reach the point where they are able to procreate.  The ability to produce offspring that can procreate, is what defines a species. 

10 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

While it has been much more prevalent this season, the entire series has had a very noticeable fascination with parent/child relationships.  Even this season's intro sequence shows a host mother holding an infant.  The big question is whether the hosts will be able to reach the point where they are able to procreate.  The ability to produce offspring that can procreate, is what defines a species. 

sadk-759x500.jpg

So the ending with MIB digging in his arm for the interface means he thinks he's a host? Or is he trying to confirm that he is not a host? I really wanted him to pull the trigger. At least it would have given some closure to a story line.

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

Teddy eventually ends up in the lake right?  So I'm assuming someone is reviving him.

I think Clementine's new code is going to revive the "dead" hosts and they all end up in the flooded valley beyond.

30 minutes ago, HouTex said:

So the ending with MIB digging in his arm for the interface means he thinks he's a host? Or is he trying to confirm that he is not a host? I really wanted him to pull the trigger. At least it would have given some closure to a story line.

Little of A, little of B. That's what having a psychological profile of "delusions" and "paranoid subtype" gets you.

He didn't pickup Der Schlacthof Funf because of the time jumping necessity of "Billy."  He picked it up because they're going to firebomb Westworld and only those below ground will survive.  Last I checked, lotta bunkers in that place.  I dunno, it's been an up and down season, hope it ends well.  

3 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Teddy eventually ends up in the lake right?  So I'm assuming someone is reviving him.

I think he’s already in the Valley. It sure looked like where they were was surrounded by mountains. Fill up that valley, there’s a sea/lake where there wasn’t one before, and Teddy is already there. 

Not even Delos could fill up a space that fast with fresh water.  It's a salt water reservoir.  If the bodies have been in there for a 1-2 weeks, they wouldn't look like that.  Something else is afoot.  or two feet even.  

this might be a series that actually benefits from binge watching. I can't even remember how we got from Hale and Co finding out Bernard was a host to him back out in the Park. My guess is those are on different timelines, but damn if it isn't hard keeping all these things straight

• Like 1

I think they were planning on making a shitload of money on every possible angle.  Some would pay for immortality, some would pay to replace someone in an important position with a robot they have total control over and some would buy the personal data from time spent in the park as blackmail.  Delos would have been in position to run the world.

I think the overall theme of this show is that the more human machines become the more machines humans become. And one way or another, the human side always fucks their shit up just when they think they're getting it figured out.

Edited by DougO

It's kind of frustrating that we just had a "William episode" and we still don't know much about William's background or his current goals. We learned that his alcoholic wife killed herself and that his daughter blames herself. We saw him kill his daughter. He's delusional and paranoid. There's still a lot of pieces missing from his story. Depending on how long they intend the show to hang around, it's understandable they won't give us his full story at this point, but it's nonetheless frustrating.

3 hours ago, naija said:

this might be a series that actually benefits from binge watching. I can't even remember how we got from Hale and Co finding out Bernard was a host to him back out in the Park. My guess is those are on different timelines, but damn if it isn't hard keeping all these things straight

Him out in the park with Elsie right now is prior to him being found in the beach in episode 1, which is prior to Strand/Hale finding out he’s a host. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I was thinking maybe his daughter was a Host. But MIB killed her and never checked. It would be crazy if MIB was a host. 

I still don’t know Fords long game. I think he has one or why would he be sticking around? 

He checked her arm for a port.  It's why he almost killed himself later.

14 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah but he stopped when he saw she had his personality data card in her hand. And we never saw the result of the scan from the QA team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

1 hour ago, hornian said:

Yeah but he stopped when he saw she had his personality data card in her hand. And we never saw the result of the scan from the QA team. 

What he said. 

If they wanted to definitely say she wasn’t a Host, they could of showed him cut open her arm or shown the Guards scan results. They did neither.  Which leaves the door open. 

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

What he said. 

If they wanted to definitely say she wasn’t a Host, they could of showed him cut open her arm or shown the Guards scan results. They did neither.  Which leaves the door open. 

Actually, the scan would leave things open. Remember, Bernard passed through the scanner that determined human or bot. Hale and Co had no idea until they saw all of his clones. Their scanning tech may be behind the times and Ford came up with a way to fool it.

all the scanner does is look for that explosive device in the "spine" of the Host.  It doesn't actually read human activity.  The "green/clear" deal on it just means there's no device in that particular body, be it a host or human.  

His "daughter" was never cleared (as stated above).  The profile "card" means nothing.  if Ford made one, he made two.  And gave her "host body" another one to ferry around the park.  

42 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t remember Bernard passing the scanner. On the beach? 

If I recall correctly, it was when he was with Hale going underground. I don't remember the specific detail, but I believe it was mentioned that the door scanner read DNA which apparently was sprayed on him like perfume or something. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Bernard simply doesn't have an explosive device in him, that's how he passes the scanner.  Ford knew he'd never leave the park until the whole game had played out,  so there was no need for one  in the interim.  The DNA reader is another story.  

The real question I have about Bernard is, at some point in the first season---he's certainly at the very top of the Delos/WW leadership chain.  Certainly Top 5.  I'm sure they all know everyone else's chops and pedigree when they arrive.  Head of this is from New York, went to Yale.  Head of that is from London, went to Cambridge.  This guy is from West Point and that gal is from Sorbonne.  When was somebody gonna say, "Hey, prior to the opening of the parks and around the time Ford's partner died...Bernard came along and zipped up the corporate food chain.  Yet, nobody knows where he went to school, what other companies he worked at, or what his hobbies were before showing up on the island."  

One of the things I didn't quite understand; did the wife (Juliet?) commit suicide because she found out that MiB was a host while reading his profile or because she saw he loved the bot dolores? He kept messing with his forearm at and post-charity event in the real world and his monologue was vague and could have suggested an everyday, run-of-the-mill billionaire ennui or it could have been more literal and confessional. 

6 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

One of the things I didn't quite understand; did the wife (Juliet?) commit suicide because she found out that MiB was a host while reading his profile or because she saw he loved the bot dolores? He kept messing with his forearm at and post-charity event in the real world and his monologue was vague and could have suggested an everyday, run-of-the-mill billionaire ennui or it could have been more literal and confessional. 

The rubbing of the forearm at the party was interesting.  What did he says when he did it?  Something about the darkness creeping in?

Maybe he created a more ruthless version of himself.

Edited by Don Johnson

28 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

The rubbing of the forearm at the party was interesting.  What did he says when he did it?  Something about the darkness creeping in?

Maybe he created a more ruthless version of himself.

I don’t think he’s a host, I think he’s just paranoid and *thinks* he might be a host and wants to find out. In fact, I’m sure he hopes he’s a host to explain why he would kill his own daughter (mind degrading like Jim Delos), but I think we find out next episode he isn’t and so he has to live with his own choices and can’t blame them on anyone or anything else. 

Questions that the finale still needs to answer:

How did the lake/sea get created in the valley beyond?

Where is Albernathy’s control unit/what did Dolores use it for?

Why did some of the hosts pulled from the lake have “virgin” control units (not wiped, like there had never been data there at all)?

Where are Dolores, Maeve, Akecheta, Maeve’s daughter, etc? Did they escape? Did they take over human host copies?

Why is Bernard so confused when he’s on the beach?

How did he kill all the hosts that are in the lake?

Will Charlotte Hale get naked this season?

Maeve is super annoying as a character and actress to look at-- I might be out on season 3 just because she sucks (well, and if the finale sucks and I feel like this season was a waste of time)