86th Texas Legislative Session 01/08/19 - 05/27/19 thread of fail

Message Board User

Today, the Texas House of Representatives voted to approve HB 63, which would reduce penalties for possession of 1 ounce of marijuana. This is a historic step forward in changing Texas’ current draconian laws. Now that the bill has made it out of the House, it will move on to the Senate.

There was an amendment made on the floor but HB 63 will still accomplish no arrest, no jail time, and an opportunity to avoid a criminal record. Here are the highlights:

• Possession of an ounce or less of marijuana would be a Class C Misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of $500, but no arrest or jail time.
  • Upon payment of fine and plea of no contentre (or guilty), a case may be automatically deferred once a year, allowing the individual to avoid a criminal record if the judge’s orders are followed (completing community service and/or drug education course).
  • Dismissed cases would not generate a criminal record, which can follow a person for life and jeopardize employment prospects, housing, and educational opportunities.
  • Under this revised proposal, the offense wouldn’t qualify as a “drug offense,” which eliminates the trigger for DL suspension and other collateral consequence.

This is an improvement from current law, which penalizes even small amounts with an arrest, up to 180 days in jail, up to $2,000 in fines, and a permanent criminal record

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, swraith said:

What is actually likely to pass both Houses and be signed by the Governor?

Most likely nothing.  I am guessing it won’t even make it to the senate floor for debate.  We will be in the same boat for another two years until we elect officials that will accept legalization or reduced penalties is the right thing to do.

1 hour ago, swraith said:

What is actually likely to pass both Houses and be signed by the Governor?

None.

And decriminalization is still bullshit. You would still get hassled, have a possible fine and have to deal with drug classes etc. Make it legal.

Of course, it's still illegal federally, so its still a gray line even if the state makes it legal in their eyes.

Edited by relapse98
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Big D said:

Most likely nothing.  I am guessing it won’t even make it to the senate floor for debate.  We will be in the same boat for another two years until we elect officials that will accept legalization or reduced penalties is the right thing to do.

This.  It'll never see the Senate floor because a flatulent carpetbagger with a fake name and not a single a male feature on his soft, dainty frame will refuse to send it to any committee.  Some law enforcement guys showed up to speak about all of the dangers this bill will present and that's all the cellulite riddled lady man of Texas will need to hear because he backs the blue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Big D said:

The hemp bill will make it id guess.

the only effect it would have is to align Texas with federal law on hemp. Even pussy boy Patrick shouldn’t be afraid to send that one through right?

Edited by Voldemort86

Serious question, as a fiscal conservative---if one testicle was worth $100mm in budgetary significance...how many billions could Dan Patrick gargle?  And bear in mind, I'm not even talking about cupping the balls.  The old jokes about Perry being gay are offensive and inaccurate.  But there are cum guzzlers among us and I know which Zach-Morris reject has the beat on political white-washes.  

That said, if Adler and Patrick were to fall to Earth at a high rate of speed while being filmed having nekkid buttsecks during a skydiving competition I wouldn't lose any sleep.

Well, maybe a minute or two at the image, but then nothing but REM baby.

Edited by Cajun

Any Leg that hairlips Steve Adler and his merry band of COA crooks is ok by me.

Austin voters already have a remedy if they want to make a change in their city leadership. It’s not the proper place of the legislature to usurp local control on purely local issues, at least where nobody’s fundamental rights are being violated.

7 hours ago, Cajun said:

Any Leg that hairlips Steve Adler and his merry band of COA crooks is ok by me.

Many folks get your frustration with a particular local government.  But ask the folks in small-town Texas how the "kill all local government entities" crusade is going for them.  In places where the school district is the largest employer and provides the center of community life.  In places where the city and county provide key essential services on a shoestring budget.  When you drop the "local government killer" bomb, you throw out a shit-ton of babies with that bathwater.

Nevermind, of course, that the places that are held up as hell on earth -- Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas -- are also the economic engines of the state.

Trump Republicans are killing legitimate rural Republicans, all to show what hardasses they can be.  Let's see how that works out for them.

• Like 1

We have a three tier system in Texas designed to peddle the most harmful drug in America to the public in a way that maximizes revenue to the state, but we can't decriminalize cannabis and do the same. 
God bless Texas.

Well, lots of folks who consume cannabis are...well, you know...those people.

14 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We have a three tier system in Texas designed to peddle the most harmful drug in America to the public in a way that maximizes revenue to the state, but we can't decriminalize cannabis and do the same. 

God bless Texas.

Maybe Goeb did us a favor. Can you imagine the disaster if they gave Marijuana control over to TABC?

9 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Maybe Goeb did us a favor. Can you imagine the disaster if they gave Marijuana control over to TABC?

I just want to be able to go to the store and buy some edibles and maybe some vape pens.

I can't tell you how jealous of Colorado I am. I have friends who send me pics of their hauls to taunt me.

• Like 3

Looks like the senate education committee is going to vote on the education bill tomorrow morning. The house is trying to tie their property tax relief bill to the education bill they already passed. I can honestly say that this has been a really good session for the house. I completely expect the senate to fuck things up.

7 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I can honestly say that this has been a really good session for the house. I completely expect the senate to fuck things up.

That will happen when the House loses 12 seats and you have a new energized speaker willing to work with the other party.  That will happen when you re-elect Patrick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexEx15 said:

That will happen when the House loses 12 seats and you have a new energized speaker willing to work with the other party.  That will happen when you re-elect Patrick.

It’s not just the 12 seats, it’s the fact that a lot were in the burbs. Plenty of pubs see the writing on the wall if they don’t work on property taxes and education. Unfortunately you are right about Patrick and things won’t really change until his is gone. 

5 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Looks like the senate education committee is going to vote on the education bill tomorrow morning. The house is trying to tie their property tax relief bill to the education bill they already passed. I can honestly say that this has been a really good session for the house. I completely expect the senate to fuck things up.

The house has been great this session.  It seems like they’re actually trying to get things done for the people of Texas. I was pleasantly surprised that they brought the decriminalization bill to the floor, voted on it, and passed it. 

The senate on the other hand is run by evangelical nut job idiots. The biggest one of them all is a psycho who wants to check your pecker before going into the bathroom. Good luck getting anything positive or constructive done with the fucktard at lieutenant governor presiding over that chamber. 

34 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Lotta parallels between the US Senate and Texas Senate. 

And what's crazy is that the Senate in each is supposed to be the more mature body. But in Texas the past few sessions it's been the complete opposite. I know a good portion of the Tea Party types hate Straus and now Bonnen, but they have acted somewhat like adults.

On 4/30/2019 at 10:47 AM, Brisketexan said:

Many folks get your frustration with a particular local government.  But ask the folks in small-town Texas how the "kill all local government entities" crusade is going for them.  In places where the school district is the largest employer and provides the center of community life.  In places where the city and county provide key essential services on a shoestring budget.  When you drop the "local government killer" bomb, you throw out a shit-ton of babies with that bathwater.

Nevermind, of course, that the places that are held up as hell on earth -- Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas -- are also the economic engines of the state.

Trump Republicans are killing legitimate rural Republicans, all to show what hardasses they can be.  Let's see how that works out for them.

I don't disagree with you at all.

I was just talking about Adler and Company.

The "alright with me" comment wasn't genuine.  None of those fucks on either side are alright with me.

None

Speaking of the TX Senate:

The government's assault on the borderlands (and the butterflies) continues. The chemical the Texas Senate approved (pending $10 million from the feds) is Imazapyr. Some brand names of this poison cause irreversible eye damage, even blindness, to birds and other creatures. It is broad spectrum, so it will kill much more than the cane, and they will attempt aerial spraying on the river bank and river--our only source of fresh water. In many areas, the cane is the only thing providing any erosion protection. The Material Data Safety Sheet warns "Acute toxicity, dermal" and "Acute aquatic toxicity." Would you allow this at your home? #NoWall #NoChemicalAssault#Resist with National Audubon Society, Defenders of Wildlife, Sierra Club, Center for Biological Diversity and American Birding Association

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

The chemical the Texas Senate approved (pending $10 million from the feds) is Imazapyr.

That one is from do nothing donna campbell, https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=86R&Bill=SB1205

I guess the good news(?) is that it is contingent upon federal dollars, else it will die just like the last time they did this in 2015.

I wonder what the experts say about this:

Amade Rubio, a biology instructor at TAMIU says the herbicide doesn’t just have one target, it’s typically non-selective herbicides that are utilized to kill the Carrizo Cane.

Rubio says, "Anything isn't considered to be the weed species or target species could be affected, which is often most likely the case in it being a large scale collateral damage for important species in our area. Especially for ecological services."

Rubio says another thing that is not clear is how the communities along the river would be affected.

Rubio says, "We have no idea what the fate of this chemical is in the human body. It might not have any immediate effect, but in the long term? These things are not researched or explored. I wouldn't like to sit back and see things to unfold in such a negative or deleterious way for people that live along the watercourse."

He adds a better method would be to use mechanical removal and then place native species to better combat the Carrizo Cane, something the state is partially doing.

Donna isn't really all that into listening to experts, she has feelins.

Carpetbagging bitch.

The senate education committee voted and fast tracked their bill today. Full senate will vote tomorrow. Both the senate and house bills would be an improvement. Just hoping the final version doesn’t become worthlessly watered down. 

Just as a reminder, AISD pays the same amount into recapture as it does for all salaries in the district combined. It’s roughly 46% of the budget....just gone. Desperate for this mess to get fixed.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

The senate education committee voted and fast tracked their bill today. Full senate will vote tomorrow. Both the senate and house bills would be an improvement. Just hoping the final version doesn’t become worthlessly watered down. 

Just as a reminder, AISD pays the same amount into recapture as it does for all salaries in the district combined. It’s roughly 46% of the budget....just gone. Desperate for this mess to get fixed.

And that 46% equals roughly $600,000,000.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:04 AM, RexWilson said:

Looks like Danny was sorta fibbing. I'm shocked.

“Criminal Justice Chair @Whitmire_John is right that #HB 63 is dead in the @Texas Senate” Patrick tweeted on Tuesday. “I join with those House Republicans who oppose this step toward legalization of marijuana.”

But state Sen. John Whitmire -- the Houston Democrat cited in Patrick’s tweet -- said in an interview with the American-Statesman that he made the comments before the House voted to approve HB 63, which was revised prior to the vote in an effort to make it more palatable to some Republicans. Whitmire, who says he supports a reduction in penalties for low-volume pot possession, also said he didn’t use the word “dead” to describe the bill’s chances in the Senate.

“The reality is we don’t have the votes in the Senate as we talk,” Whitmire said. But he also said: “I don’t believe it’s dead and I’m going to do the best I can (to round up support). I’m trying to see if we have the votes in the Criminal Justice Committee to get it to the (Senate) floor.”

Still, the lieutenant governor can block Senate action on a bill by preventing it from coming up for floor debate.

32 minutes ago, bolverk said:

And that 46% equals roughly $600,000,000.

In FY2019, AISD anticipates the district will submit $669.6 million to the state in recapture funds. This amount is expected to increase by $115 million in FY2020, as a result of a projected increase in the district’s taxable property value and tax collection and the recalculation of the state funding formulas. From FY2002 to FY2019, AISD will have paid the state of Texas more than $3.7 billion in recapture payments.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

That's simply a colossal burden to place on the residents of a single school district. Jesus.

It sure as hell is.  But by the same token, a young Texan shouldn't get a better or worse education because he lives in Richville vs. Poorville, or vice-versa.  And of course, the system should also take into account that costs are higher in Richville than Poorville, so purely equal per-student funding won't make sense.  We've done a horrific job of our statewide, constitutional obligation to educate our children.  They are our seedstock, and we're letting a shitload of them rot before they ever get planted.

The current system leads to bad outcomes, educationally and fiscally, all the way around.  And all we do is try to re-jigger a busted-ass system.  But, at least for the first time in a LONG-ass time, some of them are trying to govern, so that's nice to see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

It sure as hell is.  But by the same token, a young Texan shouldn't get a better or worse education because he lives in Richville vs. Poorville, or vice-versa.  And of course, the system should also take into account that costs are higher in Richville than Poorville, so purely equal per-student funding won't make sense.  We've done a horrific job of our statewide, constitutional obligation to educate our children.  They are our seedstock, and we're letting a shitload of them rot before they ever get planted.

The current system leads to bad outcomes, educationally and fiscally, all the way around.  And all we do is try to re-jigger a busted-ass system.  But, at least for the first time in a LONG-ass time, some of them are trying to govern, so that's nice to see.

Oh, I absolutely agree 100 percent and don't disagree with a word. I will, however, remind that Austin while "property rich" - amazingly with the amount of property owned by either the State or UT - we have more than our fair share of difficult and expensive to teach children with 51.3% labeled "at risk," 53.4% "economically disadvantaged," and 27.5% with "limited English proficiency." I'd argue that they likely have to raise our tax rate to adjust for having so much taken away. But because Austinites generally are in favor of public education, we don't revolt and instead just bite the bullet.

https://schools.texastribune.org/districts/austin-isd/

If we're committed to having no income tax in the state and I had my druthers, I'd insist that the State carry 50 percent of the cost burden AND enact a massive consolidation of school districts to even out the gross disparities concentrated in small geographic areas and maybe make them all countywide. Right now, we have 1200 districts across 254 counties, meaning almost five districts (on average) in each county which 1) allows for little rich enclaves like Eanes, 2) further exasperates wealth concentration and redlining, and 3) creates the feedback mechanism that reinforces a poor quality of education in poor areas.

I, honestly, don't think we'll ever get close to having a constitutionally mandated system that "establish(es) and make(s) suitable provision for the support and maintenance of an efficient system of public free schools" without consolidation.

Edited by bolverk
linkage & editing
  • Like 2

This year AISD was forced to reduce custodians per campus and did away with lunch monitors all together. Teacher salaries have stagnated for years and are far behind the other metro areas. 10 years and a masters degree will not crack 50k/yr.

La Joys ISD on the border just built a water park. The current system is such trash that it should be scrapped altogether. My goal for this cycle is just for funding to increase enough that some of my teachers can give up their second job.

• Like 2

Not to mention all the megastadium football fields around the state. 2 schools in my area have artificial turf, both are 3A. You can't tell me that money couldn't have been better spent on things more necessary than artificial turf.

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

Not to mention all the megastadium football fields around the state. 2 schools in my area have artificial turf, both are 3A. You can't tell me that money couldn't have been better spent on things more necessary than artificial turf.

Those were paid for with bonds for that specific purpose that were voted on by the taxpayers. The water park was paid for with general education funds....aka Austin’s recapture money.

14 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Those were paid for with bonds for that specific purpose that were voted on by the taxpayers. The water park was paid for with general education funds....aka Austin’s recapture money.

actual question: how are they repaying the bonds?