86th Texas Legislative Session 01/08/19 - 05/27/19 thread of fail

Message Board User

10 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

This financial cliff they’ve created is Republicans’ insurance policy against a Dem takeover. If Dems actually were to win some statewide power in 2-4 years, they’ll be forced to either support a tax increase or to roll back the teacher pay increases. If Republicans keep power, they’ll just cut women’s healthcare some more or something else white evangelicals don’t care about to make up the gap.

Republicans claim they are fiscal conservatives until they get in office and raid the piggy bank. Then when they lose and finances turn to shit, they blame the Dems for not lowering taxes. I have yet to figure out how you make money by collecting less than you did before. 

16 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

This financial cliff they’ve created is Republicans’ insurance policy against a Dem takeover. If Dems actually were to win some statewide power in 2-4 years, they’ll be forced to either support a tax increase or to roll back the teacher pay increases. If Republicans keep power, they’ll just cut women’s healthcare some more or something else white evangelicals don’t care about to make up the gap.

They are awful, awful people.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Pretty inauspicious start, Bonnen.

I'd already decided he was one of the good guys. May still be one, but also seems to be a fuckup.

Offering a quid pro quo to primary republicans who don't fall in line with you doesn't sound like a good guy.

Edited by DDD Dad

Bonnen has asked that the full conversation to be released but this Sullivan guy hasn't acceded to that demand yet and has only allowed specific members to listen to the conversation, which may well have been illegally recorded if I'm reading the Texas law correctly (I ain't no lawyer). While Bonnen may have well done what is accused, I don't trust anyone from Empower Texans (or most any other Republican including Bonnen) as far as I can throw them. I wonder how much Bonnen may have been baited and certainly would like to hear the full context of the conversation.

"I said terrible things": Texas House Speaker Dennis Bonnen apologizes for Michael Quinn Sullivan meeting

Texas House Speaker Dennis Bonnen has apologized to members for taking a meeting with hardline conservative activist Michael Quinn Sullivan that has since thrown the lower chamber into chaos.

“I was stupid to take a meeting with an individual who has worked hard to divide our House,” Bonnen, an Angleton Republican, wrote to House members in an email Tuesday afternoon. “I said terrible things that are embarrassing to the members, to the House, and to me personally.”

Nearly two weeks ago, Sullivan, CEO of Empower Texans, accused Bonnen and state Rep. Dustin Burrows, R-Lubbock, of offering his group House media credentials if the organization targeted a list of 10 GOP members in the 2020 primaries. Sullivan later revealed he had secretly recorded the June 12 meeting — and called on both Bonnen and Burrows to "recant their false claims." If they did not, Sullivan said, he would feel obligated to release the recording, either in full or in part. Bonnen has forcefully pushed back against Sullivan’s account of the meeting multiple times. And Burrows has not responded publicly to the allegations.

Bonnen, along with other House members, has called on Sullivan to release the entire recording — a push the speaker emphasized in his Tuesday email, which was obtained by The Texas Tribune.

“Once again, I call for the release of the entire unedited recording so the House is no longer held hostage, and we can begin to heal," Bonnen wrote.

Bonnen in his email did not explicitly address Sullivan's allegation that he and Burrows offered Empower Texans media credentials in exchange for targeting 10 GOP members.

Over the past week, a number of House Republicans have listened to the recording. One member who listened, Travis Clardy, R-Nacogdoches, said Bonnen made "disparaging" comments about members during the meeting. Sullivan previously said that two House Democrats — Jon Rosenthal of Houston and Michelle Beckley of Carrollton — were the subject of “amusing (if slightly vulgar)” comments by Bonnen at the meeting.

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

This.

After everything MQS and Empower Texans did to your former boss, your mentor, your friend Joe Straus, you actually thought you could sit down and meet with him?

What a fucking idiot. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Offering a quid pro quo to primary republicans who don't fall in line with you doesn't sound like a good guy.

Isn't Sullivan the one with the ethics issues? I swear there is a case currently going on where he didn't register as a lobbyist, which any common sense person knows he is.

Fuck Sullivan, Fuck Bonnen, I guess Sullivan came out with this because Bonnen is a RINO (to them) and that's worse than a libtard communist beta cuck (I think I got a bingo there) to them.

Edited by relapse98

I hope Bonnen sticks around until Dems take over. He is by far the most reasonable option that we have. The education funding bill was far from perfect but would have been unthinkable under a different speaker.  Empower Texans won’t be happy until every student is in an unairconditioned shack learning that Jesus rose a t-Rex. Yes, it’s hyperbole but this stuff happens with state money in places like Louisiana.

Guys like Bonnen are actually the best hope for republicans in Texas for the long run. The more influence guys like Patrick have, the quicker their demise will be.

• Like 1

They're going to be really embarrassed by this if the Dems win the House in 2020.

It’s about time to jump on the local bandwagons and start putting money on local races. I’ve got an event coming up that will do just that. Let’s get something going. Fuck these guys let’s sweep their asses out.
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I hope Bonnen sticks around until Dems take over. He is by far the most reasonable option that we have. The education funding bill was far from perfect but would have been unthinkable under a different speaker.  Empower Texans won’t be happy until every student is in an unairconditioned shack learning that Jesus rose a t-Rex. Yes, it’s hyperbole but this stuff happens with state money in places like Louisiana.

Guys like Bonnen are actually the best hope for republicans in Texas for the long run. The more influence guys like Patrick have, the quicker their demise will be.

Are you saying when Jesus rose from the dead he was actually a T-Rex? Because I could get behind that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

It’s about time to jump on the local bandwagons and start putting money on local races. I’ve got an event coming up that will do just that. Let’s get something going. Fuck these guys let’s sweep their asses out.

We should start a surly “PAC”. Not a real one but start a thread where people can discuss their favorite local candidate in a tight race, as a group we pick a couple, and donate. I bet there are enough surlists that would do it and move the needle for a person running for the Texas House.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Empower Texans won’t be happy until every student is in an unairconditioned shack learning that Jesus rose a t-Rex. Yes, it’s hyperbole but this stuff happens with state money in places like Louisiana.

I'm not sure that it is.

2 hours ago, troph said:

I’m in

Give me some time I’ll pm you. Save 11/3 on your calendars though. Will be Texas Lege focused. If we can flip the house - and we will - then this insanity will stop over night. 9 seats, that’s it. We are that close.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Bonnen is the best hope for democrats if they want to actually try to enjoy a legislative session.

bonnen doesn’t seem to give a fuck, he just puts bills up for a vote and gets shit done. He’s 10 times better than the girly man in the senate who plays mind games and legislates based on his personal feelings.

hoping we get the house in 2020 and it’s a moot point tho.

Edited by Voldemort86

13 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

bonnen doesn’t seem to give a fuck, he just puts bills up for a vote and gets shit done.

Please. They fucked up school financing and declared victory. He isn't as bad as the other 2 slow kids, but he aint great.

Bonnen is the best hope for democrats if they want to actually try to enjoy a legislative session.
bonnen doesn’t seem to give a fuck, he just puts bills up for a vote and gets shit done. He’s 10 times better than the girly man in the senate who plays mind games and legislates based on his personal feelings.
hoping we get the house in 2020 and it’s a moot point tho.

Bonnen is using his own funds to start a super PAC to help republicans in tight local races. Game on folks. If you post enough to care it’s time to put up some cash. National is great but we are “this” close to flipping the Texas house. Let’s do it.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, troph said:

Bonnen is using his own funds to start a super PAC to help republicans in tight local races. Game on folks. If you post enough to care it’s time to put up some cash. National is great but we are “this” close to flipping the Texas house. Let’s do it.

It’s a bit early but we need to get organized and start funneling cash into the correct races. How good is polling for Texas house races? Also, how many of them are set up with act blue? Bucy, my rep, did a fantastic job in his first term but he collected donations through a different site. 

It’s a bit early but we need to get organized and start funneling cash into the correct races. How good is polling for Texas house races? Also, how many of them are set up with act blue? Bucy, my rep, did a fantastic job in his first term but he collected donations through a different site. 

Well full disclosure I’m on the board of one of the statewide progressive orgs and we will be targeting protect and take seats and we will be funding cash to those races once the primaries are complete and funding voter registration and gotv plans among young voters. Before you balk, we saw tremendous results with the youth and it turned some of the 12 house seats we picked up last round. And more importantly we are building a movement of young activists, ones that will keep the state blue for decades to come. And finally, we are there year round and even more so during the session so we can follow our dollars and hold reps accountable in ways a single donor cannot.

• Like 3

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/texas-house-speaker-dennis-bonnen-michael-quinn-sullivan/

1) The tl;dr Version

The shortest version of this thing we’re calling Bonnghazi, instead of Bonnenghazi, because I’m not a sore loser, is this: On June 12, shortly after the end of the last legislative session, Bonnen, the new speaker of the House, and state representative Dustin Burrows, his lieutenant, had a meeting with Sullivan, a de facto leader of the Republican Party’s far-right faction. Sullivan runs Empower Texans, a group funded largely by Midland oil billionaire Tim Dunn, which pushes hard for legislation during session years and hard for far-right candidates in election years. Both sides acknowledge that the meeting happened.

Y'all let us know when you get the SurlyPAC going. 

Edited by cactusflinthead

13 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

We are going to end up with a dan patrick type in the house aren’t we?

That’s precisely what I’m afraid of. 

I still think bonnen is the best Texas Democrats could hope for unless we defy the odds and win control of the state House next year.

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Aside from Bonnen's apparent malfeasance, I'd like to know if Sullivan broke any laws by secretly recording their conversation

Sec. 16.02.  UNLAWFUL INTERCEPTION, USE, OR DISCLOSURE OF WIRE, ORAL, OR ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS.
   (c)  It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under Subsection (b) that:
      3) a person acting under color of law intercepts:
         (A) a wire, oral, or electronic communication, if the person is a party to the communication or if one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to the interception;

Basically - the recording is legal because the dickhead, Sullivan, is a party to the conversation.

21 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I still think bonnen is the best Texas Democrats could hope for unless we defy the odds and win control of the state House next year.

Maybe - but remember this whole hubbub also involved Bonnen asking Empower Texans to specifically target certain Democrats.

So, fuck Bonnen.

https://www.texasobserver.org/from-bon-temps-to-bonnghazi-the-tale-of-texas-embattled-house-speaker/

So, what the hell happened? In a word, hubris. Instead of dancing with the ones who brung him, Bonnen tried to salsa with a serpent. In this case, the snake was Empower Texans, a radically right-wing insurgent group financed in large part by a West Texas oil billionaire who thinks that the ideal system of governance is a theocratic Christian kingdom. 

----

“I would prefer you not hammer me every chance you get. But as long as you don’t spend against me,” Bonnen said, according to Direct Action, before listing some of the Republican incumbents who Sullivan could go after—those who had gotten in the way of conservative priorities like a state ban on taxpayer-funded lobbyists. 

Bonnen also allegedly said at other points, “All right, so we are clear the money is the issue and back down on the rhetoric” and “We can make this work. I’ll put you guys on the floor next session.”

• 2 weeks later...