UCLA @ Colorado

WBT

1 minute ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Because they thought Texas and part of the Big XII were going, and they were getting left. So they jumped the gun for the invite. Culturally and geographically they’re a fit. 

True, student body-wise they're almost a California state school. Just tougher for football recruiting so far.

Huh...so I honestly do love Pac-12 After Dark games...especially on Saturday nights when it feels like we get an extra heaping helping of games in the late night slot going on into the early (next day) morning  here in the Central time zone.  On a whim, I just Googled "Pac 12 after dark" and noticed this interesting result:

https://www.oregonlive.com/pac-12/index.ssf/2018/09/pac-12_commissioner_larry_scott_says_night_games_u.html

Larry Scott defends Pac-12 After Dark, says late-night college football games 'unlock significant value'

A season ago, Scott said 24 of the Pac-12's 80 conference games had local start times of 7 p.m. or later. He did not give an estimated figure for 2018.

"The reason we play almost a third of our games at night is that was a way to unlock significant value from television in our last negations," Scott said. "ESPN and Fox placed a high value on us giving them a little more flexibility and being willing to play more night games."

ne·ga·tion
nəˈɡāSH(ə)n/
noun
plural noun: negations
  1. 1.
    the contradiction or denial of something.
    "there should be confirmation—or negation—of the findings"
    synonyms: denial, contradiction, repudiation, refutation, rebuttal; More

2. 2.
    the absence or opposite of something actual or positive.
    "evil is not merely the negation of goodness"
    synonyms: opposite, reverse, antithesis, contrary, inverse, converse; More

I feel like he is subconsciously not helping the cause....

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Can't remember - Google is being unhelpful there unfortunately.

Found it, it was in a Bruce Feldman write up in the Athletic

Spoiler

The secret is out at Colorado. Inside the program this summer, Mike MacIntyre and his staff were downright giddy about the potential of sophomore Laviska Shenault, a linebacker-sized X-factor offensive weapon with 4.4 speed. “He’s a total freak,” MacIntyre told me, after asking to keep some of the hype about Shenault on the down low. MacIntyre said Shenault has great hands and was going to play every receiver position for CU while also lining up in the backfield, at Wildcat QB, just about everywhere you could imagine. 

“I’ve never had anything like him,” MacIntyre said. “He’s that good. I’m tellin’ ya. He’s ridiculous.”

The 6-2, 220-pounder started 2018 with a bang, catching 11 passes for 211 yards and a TD in a win Friday vs. Colorado State. He also had one carry for 5 yards and looks like quite a factor for Steven Montez and the Buffs’ offense.

LaviskaShenault2-e1536097730459-1024x799

(Aaron M. Sprecher / Associated Press)

Colorado beat out Alabama and TCU among others to land Shenault. The Buffs also recruited one of his best friends from high school in K.D. Nixon, a top wide receiver on a powerful DeSoto (Texas) High team that finished their final season as the No. 2-ranked team in the country. 

Shenault told me Monday the reason he turned down a powerhouse like Alabama for CU was that he was intrigued to go somewhere he could make a difference. “I didn’t want to go somewhere that was already on the map,” he said. He also really liked Colorado when he visited and said he wanted to get away from where he grew up, particularly the climate. 

“That Texas heat is something fierce,” he said.