Paterno on HBO April 7

PhillyD

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nycHorn said:

Wow. Watched it tonight. That last scene really drove a knife through Paternos reputation and his position that he only knew about it from McCreary.
I hope Sandusky is getting repaid 10000x in prison.

That along with her story that Sandusky was playing with his kids in the pool in NOLA, which happened after he was confronted by the '76 kid. I imagine that was the goal line stand game, Bryant's next to last title vs Penn St in the '79 Sugar Bowl.

11 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

PSU students come off pretty bad in this

From all I have heard, it was about 50/50. The non vocal 50% were horrified by what happened and the other half of the student body reactions.  They also feared the reactions from the Pennsylvania rednecks who seemed to be about 95% behind JoePed, so they did not speak up publically.

I am friends with a married couple who are both PSU grads. They are in their early 40's and were previously worshippers at the altar of Paterno.They wanted every trace of Paterno wiped from the school records.

CSB time...

The dude that played McCreary was my friend Darren Goldstein.  We worked together bartending when I was first moved to freelance in NYC and he was doing theater here.  Crazy talented - could impersonate anyone right off the bat.  

I once saw him and one other actor in a small play off 7th ave. where they would wear a stack of caps with names of characters on them and without looking would pull one off to reveal a different character and jump right into it. They played whole scenes with multiple characters with just two actors.  My jaw was on the floor.  

I think his other big role was Limitless.

/CSB

Edited by nycHorn

6 hours ago, bamachine said:

From all I have heard, it was about 50/50. The non vocal 50% were horrified by what happened and the other half of the student body reactions.  They also feared the reactions from the Pennsylvania rednecks who seemed to be about 95% behind JoePed, so they did not speak up publically.

I am friends with a married couple who are both PSU grads. They are in their early 40's and were previously worshippers at the altar of Paterno.They wanted every trace of Paterno wiped from the school records.

Your friends are the extreme exception to the rule.

Just finished watching it. Two things come to mind:

1. A whole bunch of enablers need to rot in hell alongside Joe Pa and Sandusky
  2. Barry Levinson did a fantastic job with this, and I hope he's whispering in Peter Berg's ear right now saying "you're just the right guy to direct the film about Art Briles and Baylor

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Just finished watching it. Two things come to mind:

1. A whole bunch of enablers need to rot in hell alongside Joe Pa and Sandusky
  2. Barry Levinson did a fantastic job with this, and I hope he's whispering in Peter Berg's ear right now saying "you're just the right guy to direct the film about Art Briles and Baylor

Fuck.  Yes.

5 hours ago, nycHorn said:

CSB time...

The dude that played McCreary was my friend Darren Goldstein.  We worked together bartending when I was first moved to freelance in NYC and he was doing theater here.  Crazy talented - could impersonate anyone right off the bat.  

I once saw him and one other actor in a small play off 7th ave. where they would wear a stack of caps with names of characters on them and without looking would pull one off to reveal a different character and jump right into it. They played whole scenes with multiple characters with just two actors.  My jaw was on the floor.  

I think his other big role was Limitless.

/CSB

I believe he's in the Showtime tv show "The Affair" as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veritas aequitas said:

I thought they did a pretty good job of showing Paterno as a guy who only gave a shit about his being the all time wins leader and nothing else.

Did the movie address the convenient timing of the fact that the dominoes didn't begin to fall until the very next week after he had gained the record by beating a terrible Illinois team? 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
Burn in hell, JoePa.

Yeah, he refused to read the Grand Jury indictment several times because he said he was too busy with prep for the Nebraska game.  This was really good.  It's definitely worth a watch.  Probably the best thing Pacino has done in awhile.  No yelling at all and was very subtle.  He disappeared in to the character.

Edited by kevwun

Full disclosure, I saw most of it, but not all. That being said...

The best scene is when his daughter asked what the kid said about the shower incident. And Paterno and everyone were like, no one asked the kid what happened. No one asked if he was okay. No one asked the right questions aka acted like a decent human fucking being. And that was the point. 

18 hours ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Saw it tonight.  Slightly above average.  Thought the last scene with the phone call was a good way to end it. 

That's kind of how I felt.  I could have done without the extended stylistic sequences of JoPa/Pacino with the things whirling around in his head... (in the MRI machine and a few more times)... that got tiresome.

And yeah -- all of those Penn State fans/students who were rallying to the defense of JoPa and the merry band of kiddie-rape enablers can fuck right off along with all of the Briles supporting Baylor fans.

The whole riot scene when they are chanting "fuck the media!"... Did that actually happen?  Yeah... "fuck the media" for reporting about your kiddie-rape enabling administration and head coach.  Yeah... it's the media's fault you dumb fucking rednecks.

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

And yeah -- all of those Penn State fans/students who were rallying to the defense of JoPa and the merry band of kiddie-rape enablers can fuck right off along with all of the Briles supporting Baylor fans.

This right here. 

Very superficial and sometimes laughable re-telling of events that have been pretty much known for years. Pacino does pretty well, but given the way they portray Joe as being mostly a bystander to every conversation (which is totally believable at that point), an unknown actor would have been better for the story.

3 hours ago, Bartles said:
Very superficial and sometimes laughable re-telling of events that have been pretty much known for years. Pacino does pretty well, but given the way they portray Joe as being mostly a bystander to every conversation (which is totally believable at that point), an unknown actor would have been better for the story.

Wasn't this partly the point of the story?  A once proud and dynamic leader of men had slowly turned into nothing but an empty pair of khakis with platitudes.  It really hammers home the fact that someone in their 80's probably shouldn't be the CEO and/or cult leader of big business....  Instead of a defensive, cunning or slippery personality, you get this sad and pathetic little figure because he's too fucking old to critically consider his actions, his place in it all.  He can't remember enough....  A story about misplaced demagoguery and hero worship in small towns in America (pretty topical if you think about it).  The last scene is heartbreaking and incendiary because there once was a man who once was defensive, cunning, and slippery.  Who put himself, his self-interests and his legacy above the well being of kids in his community but when it was time for the reckoning, he wasn't up for the fight..... He was simply too impotent.

• Like 3