Avengers: Infinity War

BYG Jacob

Spoiler

Guess I don't understand everyone thinking Gamora is genuinely dead and gone. Although she died pre-snap, her embodiment was still somewhere with Thanos after his "solution".  Besides, she's under contract and widely expected to be in the final GotG sequel, which supposedly is the last of a trilogy.  I guess maybe it could be GotG 3:  The Search for Gamora.

IMO, her soul is attached or trapped in the soul stone and they'll need Gamora, as he's really Thanos' only emotional vulnerability, to somehow defeat him.  I think she comes back in the 2nd part somehow.

Took my son and some of his friends yesterday.  It was an amazing movie, I think this is now favorite Marvel movie.  My son and his friends were silent as the credits rolled until the post credit scene.  That is pretty unusual for a bunch of 12 year olds after a great movie.  They were trying to take it all in, but couldn't believe it at the same time.

28 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Question for those who have seen it - I didn't understand one thing:

Reveal hidden contents

Why didThor get his eye back, and generally improved hair/skin when he got the new axe?

Spoiler

the dwarf gave it to him. i was doing a bit of day drinking at alamo, so i don't remember all the details, but he popped it in and at first, it didn't work properly. not sure about the looks and skin stuff, though.

"Question for those who have seen it - I didn't understand one thing:"

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

the dwarf gave it to him. i was doing a bit of day drinking at alamo, so i don't remember all the details, but he popped it in and at first, it didn't work properly. not sure about the looks and skin stuff, though.

Spoiler

I thought Rocket gave it to him and chastised him for not cleaning it before putting it in.  Did the Lannister Imp provide him with a new and improved eye?

46 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Question for those who have seen it - I didn't understand one thing:

Hide contents

Why didThor get his eye back, and generally improved hair/skin when he got the new axe?

Spoiler

Rocket, who likes to collect body parts, gave him a new eye he had, which also harkens back to these two scenes in GotG movies.

As far as Thor in the final battle, he's been on his own hero's journey in this movie and come out the other side a changed and re-invigorated man with Stormbreaker and having survived the energy from a Star.  In short, he got his mojo back....

26 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

"Question for those who have seen it - I didn't understand one thing:"

Hide contents

I thought Rocket gave it to him and chastised him for not cleaning it before putting it in.  Did the Lannister Imp provide him with a new and improved eye?

No I think you are right. 

47 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

I was also day drinking at the Alamo

29 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:
  Hide contents

Rocket, who likes to collect body parts, gave him a new eye he had, which also harkens back to these two scenes in GotG movies.

As far as Thor in the final battle, he's been on his own hero's journey in this movie and come out the other side a changed and re-invigorated man with Stormbreaker and having survived the energy from a Star.  In short, he got his mojo back....

Spoiler

That makes perfect, sense and I understood that he had been on the hero's journey, but I had forgotten about the guy's eye and just assumed that he magically was physically restored. This is much better.
But when did Rocket pop it in? Neither my daughter nor I caught that, because she didn't know where the eye came from either. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:
  Hide contents

That makes perfect, sense and I understood that he had been on the hero's journey, but I had forgotten about the guy's eye and just assumed that he magically was physically restored. This is much better.
But when did Rocket pop it in? Neither my daughter nor I caught that, because she didn't know where the eye came from either. 

Rocket gave it to him on the ship. Thor popped it in, it was a different eye color, and took a while for the eye to work, Thor fiddled with it for a while

9 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:
  Hide contents

That makes perfect, sense. I had forgotten about the guy's eye. But when did Rocket pop it in? Neither my daughter nor I caught that, because she didn't know where the eye came from either. 

Spoiler

Right after their emotional exchange, Rocket realizes Thor is a broken man/god and empathizes with all of his recent loss.  Rocket gives Thor his stolen eye and Thor pops it in as they arrive at Nidaviller, the giant forge with the overgrown Tyrion Lannister.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

57 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:
  Hide contents

By the way, giant Peter Dinklage was genius. People in my Alamo clapped when they realized what they were seeing. 

Spoiler

I thought he was pretty terrible.  He was like a sad, emo rastafarian Tyrion Lannister.  

I liked it. Thanos was a phenomenal villain. This is finally the movie where Thor gets to be the bad-ass that he should have been all this time. I know humor is Marvel's thing, but I wonder if it could have been better if they played it mostly straight.

Spoiler

Personally, though I can understand the reasons why, I thought having both Captain America and IronMan survive was a bit of a letdown. You want to hit it hard, kill one of those two.

Overhead loudly, someone screaming "this is Bullshit!" as Black Panther wisped away

13 minutes ago, naija said:

Hide contents

Personally, though I can understand the reasons why, I thought having both Captain America and IronMan survive was a bit of a letdown. You want to hit it hard, kill one of those two.

Overhead loudly, someone screaming "this is Bullshit!" as Black Panther wisped away

Im pretty sure Marvel is rethinking having dusted Black Panther considering the BP movie is going to end up bypassing Last Jedi for total worldwide box office

13 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Hide contents

Im pretty sure Marvel is rethinking having dusted Black Panther considering the BP movie is going to end up bypassing Last Jedi for total worldwide box office

Spoiler

Why?  Are you under some allusion that Blank Panther is going to stay dead?  They also killed Spiderman and the Guardians, yet those characters will enjoy sequels as well.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

33 minutes ago, naija said:

I liked it. Thanos was a phenomenal villain. This is finally the movie where Thor gets to be the bad-ass that he should have been all this time. I know humor is Marvel's thing, but I wonder if it could have been better if they played it mostly straight.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

May hit harder if they actually kill one of them off for good in the 2nd part of the story instead of the faux deaths all the characters to end this movie enjoyed, no?  

• Like 1

I read a theory that makes a lot of sense in regards to Avengers 4

In Doctor Strange the Ancient One said that she couldn't see past her death. Dr. Strange was able to see the defeat of Thanos. This means that he will be brought back to life or that they are not really dead and are in the mirror dimension.

So the heroes who were "killed" have their souls trapped in the Soul Stone, correct? In the original comic arc Adam Warlock frees Gamora's soul from the stone while fighting Thanos, and we know Warlock will be in GotG3...

My guess is the surviving heroes (basically the OG Avengers) sacrifice themselves somehow in A4 to release those who have been "killed" from the stone. Those guys (Strange, BP, Spidey, etc.) will then move the franchise forward for the newer generation.

12 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:
  Hide contents

May hit harder if they actually kill one of them off for good in the 2nd part of the story instead of the faux deaths all the characters to end this movie enjoyed, no?  

Spoiler

true.

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

So the heroes who were "killed" have their souls trapped in the Soul Stone, correct? In the original comic arc Adam Warlock frees Gamora's soul from the stone while fighting Thanos, and we know Warlock will be in GotG3...

My guess is the surviving heroes (basically the OG Avengers) sacrifice themselves somehow in A4 to release those who have been "killed" from the stone. Those guys (Strange, BP, Spidey, etc.) will then move the franchise forward for the newer generation.

Spoiler

I don't think that the souls are in the Soul Stone, only Gamora at this point. And to go to your point, I think we'll see Captain Marvel take Adam Warlock's place, Nebula trying to steal the gauntlet, and Tony and Cap definitely sacrificing themselves.

I don't see Adam Warlock getting that large of a role considering he's only been hinted at the end of one movie and won't be introduced prior to the second part (unless he shows up in Captain Marvel). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:
  Hide contents

I don't think that the souls are in the Soul Stone, only Gamora at this point. And to go to your point, I think we'll see Captain Marvel take Adam Warlock's place, Nebula trying to steal the gauntlet, and Tony and Cap definitely sacrificing themselves.

I don't see Adam Warlock getting that large of a role considering he's only been hinted at the end of one movie and won't be introduced prior to the second part (unless he shows up in Captain Marvel). 

Spoiler

I tend to agree with this.  Gamora will be brought back via the soul stone and instead the time stone will be used to bring back the other half of universe's population.  Can you imagine how crowded the soul stone was with half the population of the world?  LOL.  I see Warlock as part of GotG's 3rd movie which won't be on the slate until after the conclusion of this film.  Captain Marvel as a stand in for him or Silver Surfer makes sense.  

I do think one or more of the OG Avenger team will sacrifice themselves in the 2nd part which will "retire" all the folks with expiring contracts and allow Spidey, Doc, BP, Cap Marvel and others to take over in Phase 4.  Perhaps the bringing back of Gamora using the soul stone will provide an out for Marvel and road map if they ever want to bring back Cap or IM or whomever makes the great sacrifice in the back end of this story.

2 hours ago, Bobby Light said:

I gotta say, in some ways I kinda agree with Thanos' plan

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but I did feel some relief due to severe MCU and comic book movie fatigue.

Spoiler

New Ant Man & The Wasp trailer came out and they are teasing something called a quantum realm (the characters look like ghosts and seem to be on another plane, but still on earth fighting bad guys)... this realm plus dead Black Panther realm (astral plane I think?) seem like they'll play big parts going forward. I'm kind of disappointed nobody is dead-dead. I don't see how anybody even felt bad at the movies when you know GOTG and Spider-Man are already booked.