Avengers: Infinity War

BYG Jacob

5 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:
  Hide contents

I'm kind of disappointed nobody is dead-dead. I don't see how anybody even felt bad at the movies when you know GOTG and Spider-Man are already booked.

Spoiler

The thing is... There's a saying amongst comic fans: "Nobody stays dead except for Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben."  And even then, Uncle Ben is now the only one to have actually stayed dead. You kind of expect deaths to be temporary. Such is the world of comic books. So, yes, it's easy to look ahead and see who has sequels planned and which character makes money and oh, this is a comic book movie, nobody stays dead... That's not the point. The point of going to watch most entertainment-driven movies is to get lost in the moment; to immerse yourself in the world on screen and forget about everything else for a moment. When you allow yourself to get emotionally invested in the story at the moment, it's very easy to have the emotional response that many people are describing during Gamora's death, or BP, or Spider-Man (which was EXCELLENTLY delivered by Tom Holland. "Mr. Stark, I don't want to go." Fucking heartbreaking man)

But like many others have said, I think some of the OG Avengers, namely Stark or Cap will be sacrificed for good in A4 and that will be even bigger because of the sense of finality both in the movie and moving forward.

• Like 2

spoiler because why not,

1) when is A4 coming out

2) what was that symbol at the end on nick fury's device?
3) this was as non-stop of a film as i can remember.  might be atop the MCU canon for me for now.  theater was silent the entire time as credits rolled.  felt more like the ending to a drama - schindler's list, passion, boy in the striped pajamas come to mind as far as the palpable silence in the theater at the end.
4) where did thanos go?
5) can someone put together a list of who died and who lived?  i get that no one is dead-dead yet.
6) tobias funke was hysterical and i was bummed no one around me caught it.

20 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

spoiler because why not,

Hide contents

1) when is A4 coming out

2) what was that symbol at the end on nick fury's device?
3) this was as non-stop of a film as i can remember.  might be atop the MCU canon for me for now.  theater was silent the entire time as credits rolled.  felt more like the ending to a drama - schindler's list, passion, boy in the striped pajamas come to mind as far as the palpable silence in the theater at the end.
4) where did thanos go?
5) can someone put together a list of who died and who lived?  i get that no one is dead-dead yet.
6) tobias funke was hysterical and i was bummed no one around me caught it.

Spoiler

May 3, 2019.

It was Captain Marvel's logo.  She will be in the next movie and has a solo movie coming out.

Cool.

Inside the Soul Stone.

It's on the internet.  Google is your friend but basically Avengers OG -- alive.  Avengers next generation -- dead.  A few discrepancies. 

A few people caught it here.

12 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:
  Hide contents

The thing is... There's a saying amongst comic fans: "Nobody stays dead except for Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben."  And even then, Uncle Ben is now the only one to have actually stayed dead. You kind of expect deaths to be temporary. Such is the world of comic books. So, yes, it's easy to look ahead and see who has sequels planned and which character makes money and oh, this is a comic book movie, nobody stays dead... That's not the point. The point of going to watch most entertainment-driven movies is to get lost in the moment; to immerse yourself in the world on screen and forget about everything else for a moment. When you allow yourself to get emotionally invested in the story at the moment, it's very easy to have the emotional response that many people are describing during Gamora's death, or BP, or Spider-Man (which was EXCELLENTLY delivered by Tom Holland. "Mr. Stark, I don't want to go." Fucking heartbreaking man)

But like many others have said, I think some of the OG Avengers, namely Stark or Cap will be sacrificed for good in A4 and that will be even bigger because of the sense of finality both in the movie and moving forward.

Spoiler

If they do kill off Cap, I'm gonna be bummed.  Easily my favorite character out of all these movies.  

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:
  Hide contents

May 3, 2019.

It was Captain Marvel's logo.  She will be in the next movie and has a solo movie coming out.

Cool.

Inside the Soul Stone.

It's on the internet.  Google is your friend but basically Avengers OG -- alive.  Avengers next generation -- dead.  A few discrepancies. 

A few people caught it here.

Spoiler

What makes you think Thanos is inside the Soul Stone?  I'm fully with the theory that those who were snapped out of existence are in the soul stone, but this is the first I've seen someone say Thanos is as well.  Since he has the Reality Stone, he could really be anywhere, including Titan as he believes it would be had he been successful in convincing them to follow his plan.   

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I want to take my kids (8 and 6) to see this.  We have only seen Iron Man 1-3 and Wonder Woman as far as super hero movies go.  What others do we need to see first?

I have no idea the difference between the different comic universes.  

If you haven't seen the movies then you might enjoy it, but will be lost at points.  My 8 yr old girl went with us and she has seen only about 6 or 7 of the MCU movies and was pretty lost, but she is also 8.  There is a 15 minute youtube video out there that you can watch and hits a lot of the main points, but 15 minutes is nothing compared to the 30+ hours of movie that has led up to Infinity War.

4 minutes ago, 1978horn said:

If you haven't seen the movies then you might enjoy it, but will be lost at points.  My 8 yr old girl went with us and she has seen only about 6 or 7 of the MCU movies and was pretty lost, but she is also 8.  There is a 15 minute youtube video out there that you can watch and hits a lot of the main points, but 15 minutes is nothing compared to the 30+ hours of movie that has led up to Infinity War.

Sounds like we need to do some binge watching.  Is there a list somewhere of the movies we need to see?

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Sounds like we need to do some binge watching.  Is there a list somewhere of the movies we need to see?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Cinematic_Universe_films

But you can skip Hulk because it sucks and doesn't really tie into the bigger story arc.

Edited by Longhornfan1024

Spoiler

They better make the Hulk be a bad mother fucker in the second one. Didn't like his scared role. Glad they showed Thor being a bad sumbitch again and hope that he keeps that up in the second one. Damn that was a good movie and didn't feel like 2 1/2 hours at all. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I want to take my kids (8 and 6) to see this.  We have only seen Iron Man 1-3 and Wonder Woman as far as super hero movies go.  What others do we need to see first?

I have no idea the difference between the different comic universes.  

Having to have seen those other meetings is not a prerequisite at all.  Because essentially it is A vs B sided conflict.

I barely remember them  (comics is not my religion) but still enjoyed this movie nontheless.  I know the backstory of some characters more than others, and it doesnt necessarily enhance the experience 

43 minutes ago, BERT said:
  Hide contents

They better make the Hulk be a bad mother fucker in the second one. Didn't like his scared role. Glad they showed Thor being a bad sumbitch again and hope that he keeps that up in the second one. Damn that was a good movie and didn't feel like 2 1/2 hours at all. 

Spoiler

If he is a bad motherfucker it will only be because somebody else has distracted Thanos. He's not going to learn how to box before the  next Avengers film, Thanos gave him the whole package, footwork, handspeed, lefts and rights. Hulk got beaten into fear.

2 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:
  Hide contents

What makes you think Thanos is inside the Soul Stone?  I'm fully with the theory that those who were snapped out of existence are in the soul stone, but this is the first I've seen someone say Thanos is as well.  Since he has the Reality Stone, he could really be anywhere, including Titan as he believes it would be had he been successful in convincing them to follow his plan.   

Spoiler

Just a theory.  He could be on Titan, but by tearing a moon from orbit and bringing it down on Stark and company, he's effectively killed the planet.  In the comics, the soul stone houses a pocket dimension where the souls it's gathered can live in tranquility.  We believe the stone has gathered Gamora's soul and therefore we see him watching a sunrise with Gamora as a child, which he explained earlier was his desire after he completed his "solution".  He's able to find his best place by going into the Soul stone's pocket dimension to be with the only person he's ever really loved and in the way he loved her most..... It would also help explain the color of the entire scene, which most will attribute to the sunrise but golden is the soul stone.

http://marvel.com/universe/Soulworld#axzz5EMTHzULG

how the comic "infinity gauntlet" ends:

thanos is defeated by adam warlock (i thought his role was being fulfilled by dr strange) doing some time manipulation, iirc, and then somehow claiming the gauntlet for himself.  thanos is banished to be a farmer, his armor now serves as a scarecrow.  the ending scene of him on the porch was one of two very well done tips to the comics.  the other being when hulk smashes into dr strange's place "thanos is coming!" is almost exactly the same look as what happened to silver surfer.

unlike-infinity-war-the-comic-book-began

Thanos-Shucking-Corn.jpg

^ Yeah, pretty much. Starlord can't help but have a little Burt Macklin in him.

Also, this is clearly a movie discussion thread, what's with all the spoiler tags? You would have to be a fucking idiot to click on this thread if you want to avoid spoilers. 

11 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

finally back at work. 

Hide contents

did thanos not know that the mind stone was in loki's scepter?  it was right there.  he had it.

Look at the first scene in the Avengers.  Then look at what Ultron does to start charging up Vision.

21 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:
  Hide contents

Just a theory.  He could be on Titan, but by tearing a moon from orbit and bringing it down on Stark and company, he's effectively killed the planet.  In the comics, the soul stone houses a pocket dimension where the souls it's gathered can live in tranquility.  We believe the stone has gathered Gamora's soul and therefore we see him watching a sunrise with Gamora as a child, which he explained earlier was his desire after he completed his "solution".  He's able to find his best place by going into the Soul stone's pocket dimension to be with the only person he's ever really loved and in the way he loved her most..... It would also help explain the color of the entire scene, which most will attribute to the sunrise but golden is the soul stone.

http://marvel.com/universe/Soulworld#axzz5EMTHzULG

Spoiler

That's an interesting theory.  But it would mean the infinity gauntlet is just lying around somewhere.  Or I suppose it could get real out there and he sacrificed himself to the soul stone on Vormir in order to join Gamora.  

Riddle me this:

If Thanos' whole deal is that the universe is over-populated and there's not enough resources to sustain everyone, then why doesn't he just use the Infinity Gauntlet to create more resources?  He can reshape the very fabric of reality to his will. Why does half the universe have to die? 

And then what happens when the universe repopulates?  is he gonna have to snap his fingers again?  I don't think Thanos has thought his cunning plan all the way through.

12 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Well, there's this version out there as well:

https://comicnewbies.com/2015/12/11/god-doom-kills-thanos/

I only know of this because my younger brother sent it to me.

This version is from the more recent Secret Wars story arc, totally different from the "Infinity Gauntlet" story arc. 

6 minutes ago, DocZaius said:

Riddle me this:

If Thanos' whole deal is that the universe is over-populated and there's not enough resources to sustain everyone, then why doesn't he just use the Infinity Gauntlet to create more resources?  He can reshape the very fabric of reality to his will. Why does half the universe have to die? 

And then what happens when the universe repopulates?  is he gonna have to snap his fingers again?  I don't think Thanos has thought his cunning plan all the way through.

Ha.  It's the bigfucking 18 wheeler plot hole.  I asked the exact thing after the movie..... Why doesn't he just double the natural resources????

My guess is there will be an argument for sustainability but still.... Lol.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Because it's easier to destroy than to create. And he's the "Mad Titan" not the "Socially Conscientious, Progressive Thinking Titan". 

Cutting the universe (quattuordecillions?) in half will take a long time to return to previous levels. You guys are overthinking a comic book movie.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Because it's easier to destroy than to create. And he's the "Mad Titan" not the "Socially Conscientious, Progressive Thinking Titan". 

Cutting the universe (quattuordecillions?) in half will take a long time to return to previous levels. You guys are overthinking a comic book movie.

BINGO

That's what makes these movies so good. The answer to "why?" is usally "because he can". 

1 hour ago, DocZaius said:

Riddle me this:

Galactus is out there gobbling up planets (mostly crappy ones), also trying to keep the universe in balance from the cosmic sense.  But his appetite is slow.  If Thanos just creates more resources for everyone, then the universe will become too crowded and eventually expand into the Negative Zone.  Then Annihilus will get pissed, invade our universe and start to wipe out everybody because Nova and Silver Surfer haven't been introduced to stop him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

Galactus is out there gobbling up planets (mostly crappy ones), also trying to keep the universe in balance from the cosmic sense.  But his appetite is slow.  If Thanos just creates more resources for everyone, then the universe will become too crowded and eventually expand into the Negative Zone.  Then Annihilus will get pissed, invade our universe and start to wipe out everybody because Nova and Silver Surfer haven't been introduced to stop him.

Yeah, but if Thanos creates more resources on all the planets, then maybe Galactus will eat them and get full a lot faster than eating half-dead planets. Then he can go back to sleep for a few thousand years.

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I want to know how long thanos has been trying to get the infinity stones. Because he shows up with one, and things progress rather quickly for him during the film. 

He's been wanting them a while, but he waited until a great time to do it.  Odin dead.  Ego dead.  Avengers split.  Asgard destroyed.  

11 minutes ago, coachkiss said:

He's been wanting them a while, but he waited until a great time to do it.  Odin dead.  Ego dead.  Avengers split.  Asgard destroyed.  

Would Ego have done anything to stop him from trying to get the stones?

4 hours ago, freyguy said:

lhagUI.gif

I like it, but Galactus doesn't exist in this movie universe, neither does Annihilus..... Maybe coming later though.  I still award 10 points for the thoughts.

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

What about Deadpool? Is he in this universe?

He wasn't when the initial movie went into production.  But since, Disney has acquired 21st Century Fox and now he, Silver Surfer, and X-men will be incorporated into the MCU although Feige has said probably not starting until 2020 at the earliest....