3 qtrs and zero flags

Rockethorn1978

9 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

We had another defensive holding call on a running play. I was at the game and didn't see a replay, so not sure if it was legit. I think we lead college football in that call against us. 

I’m not a rules guru, but how the hell is defensive holding a penalty if the person being held is not a receiver; and how the hell is anyone a receiver on a run play?

1 minute ago, hornian said:

I’m not a rules guru, but how the hell is defensive holding a penalty if the person being held is not a receiver; and how the hell is anyone a receiver on a run play?

A defensive lineman can hold someone who is going out to block for a runner. It's rarely called and only when it's a blatant grab of a jersey from behind out in the open... unless it's Texas playing. 

The defensive holding was called on Wheeler who did grab an eligible receiver before Delton took off on a run.  It's not that weird to call that.  What made it weird was that Delton picked up like 10 yards on the scramble and then they tacked on the 10 yard penalty to the end of the run putting them in the red zone.  Not wrong, but pretty weird.

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Kansas St penalties this season

South Dakota: 13 - 129

Miss St: 2 - 15

UTSA: 4 - 41

WVU: 8 - 69

Texas: 0 - 0

All of a sudden they turned into a disciplined team vs us even though our defense is better than all those teams except maybe Miss St. Interesting

while obviously egregiously true, it's Xii home cooking, we got a little (not as much as here) against TCU & USC.  small amounts.  not like this.

problem is half our flags were legit stupidity and unnecessary to the outcome of the play in question.

15 minutes ago, hornian said:

now THIS flag was udder bulldaada.  the last time we saw this was in the fixed '15 oSu game.  prima facie ipso facto it's by definition an impossibility in my opinion.

Kansas St penalties this season
South Dakota: 13 - 129
Miss St: 2 - 15
UTSA: 4 - 41
WVU: 8 - 69
Texas: 0 - 0
All of a sudden they turned into a disciplined team vs us even though our defense is better than all those teams except maybe Miss St. Interesting 

Same thing happened in 2008 when Tech suddenly stopped holding for 1 game.

56 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

We had another defensive holding call on a running play. I was at the game and didn't see a replay, so not sure if it was legit. I think we lead college football in that call against us. 

It was atrocious. Wheeler sort of, kind of, brushed the K St blocker and the blocker fell down. So obviously the refs decided that they needed to tack on 15 yards or whatever it was to the end of a 10 yard gain.

41 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

The defensive holding was called on Wheeler who did grab an eligible receiver before Delton took off on a run.  It's not that weird to call that.  What made it weird was that Delton picked up like 10 yards on the scramble and then they tacked on the 10 yard penalty to the end of the run putting them in the red zone.  Not wrong, but pretty weird.

I’d like to know the rationale behind adding the yards to the end of the play.  That doesn’t sound right, 

27 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Same thing happened in 2008 when Tech suddenly stopped holding for 1 game.

Right.  And I think there was an OSU game where they didn't commit a single penalty?  I remember a few just not specifically which.  Almost certain though about that tech game where not 1 single hold was called on them.  

It sure seems our refs have an anti UT bias, while SEC refs would have been handing out healthy doses of holding on KSU to give the ranked team a better chance.  

I pretty much hate this conference, don't care about the Kansas schools or WVU, or ISU.  Fuck Baylor. Who does that leave?  Tech, OSU? I guess. TCU?  Whatever.  OU is the game of the year, every year, and after that there's maybe 1 or 2 other games that move the needle slightly for me.  

8 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Watch the replay of Hager’s pass deflection in KSU’s last series. Gary Johnson is being held by the face mask by an OL. 

I had given up yelling at my tv by this point. I watch a lot of fb and only see this type of consistently bad officiating against us since Mack left.

IMO: coach needs to work the officials, he rarely if ever does.

16 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Lol Herman just now. 

"We've got to do a better job of drawing flags. Other teams are doing good jobs on us with it. I've got to do a better job teaching it. Drawing flags. "

This was awesome.  And sadly, it's about the only thing he can do.

I think it's pretty common for coaches to put together a package of calls they feel were missed, and send them to the league office.  

Unfortunately it's also pretty common for the league office to ignore it.

45 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Watch the replay of Hager’s pass deflection in KSU’s last series. Gary Johnson is being held by the face mask by an OL. 

There was a third down conversion by Kstate where the same exact thing happened. That’s holding, hands to the face, or face mask. When got none of those

K State is actually complaining about the officiating. They feel that single penalty called on them that wasn't enforced was unfair.

https://www.bringonthecats.com/2018/9/29/17918460/final-texas-longhorns-19-kansas-state-wildcats-14-thompson-tries-but-cant-bail-the-cats-out

4) At least discipline isn’t an issue.

We noted there was only one penalty on K-State all afternoon, an offsetting pass interference penalty on Isaiah Zuber which happened on the same play as a holding penalty on Longhorn defensive back Caden Sterns.

Here’s the thing: Sterns was covering Zuber. If you can explain to me how a defensive back can hold (and nearly tackle) a receiver immediately before the ball arrives and the receiver still get called for pass interference, I’m all ears.

I'd guess K State is generally under penalized relative to the rest of the Big 12 just because it seems like something you'd associate with a coach like Snyder.

But fuck 10-0 in penalties?  That does not happen, and if it does the game was called poorly.  It can't happen, it threatens the integrity of the game result.  We all know Big 12 refs are shit but there needs to be some kind of follow up to this.  And honestly, I felt like most of the time we got flagged it was earned, minus the unsportsmanlike on Zach.  But they just refused to call anything on K State.  So many holds my god.  Also 71 is a piece of shit, he was getting away with murder.  There was a play where he and Gary Johnson were going at it and I guess he felt like Gary had his hands in his face for too long after the whistle and he started throwing punches trying to get separation from.  Right in front of a fucking official and nothing.

It was very inconsistently officiated.  I was really surprised Charles O did not get taunting called when he stood over their QB and leaned down at him after the sack/safety.

Thank god we won.  I'd be at just below Ok St criminally fixed needed an FBI investigation game levels of outrage.

edit: On the Wheeler defensive holding on a successful run by their QB...I was initially very triggered because of, again, the fucking Ok St heist where that happend...but when I saw the replay...a good ref wouldnt have flagged it because it had zero impact on the play and was so far away from the ball, but I mean to me at least, it looked like Wheeler knocked down an eligible receiver even if the RB might have oversold the impact.  From a rules perspective, I don't know if it should have been tacked on to the run or not.

Edited by Hozz
Wheeler call
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, hornian said:

I got called for defensive holding in HS as a safety blowing up the lead blocker on a pitch. I thought the lead had the ball because the line screened me from seeing who actually took the pitch. The ref wasn’t fazed by my excuse. It was ridiculous. 

7 hours ago, tjhooker said:

You know who complains about refs a lot and conspiracies refs are out to get them?  aggy.

Meh. No one here is saying it was a game changer. It's just about unpossible that KState didn't commit a single penalty. Most people on this thread said as much - it's not the ones that were called (some of them were iffy or strange, but many/most were the right call), it's the odds that zero penalties would be called on the other team - especially when there were blatant missed calls on many different plays. 

• Like 1

I don’t find college officiating to be so one-sided as I do pitifully inconsistent. There’s lots of stuff to be called on every series...if not every play. But it’s so random. At least these fair catches on kickoffs are saving us another five flags a game. 

Edited by Gut Wagon
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I don’t find college officiating to be so one-sided as I do pitifully inconsistent. There’s lots of stuff to be called on every series...if not every play. But it’s so random. At least these fair catches on kickoffs are saving us another five flags a game. 

You know, except when they call 10 penalties, to zero.  Then, it's not inconsistent.  It's just inexcusably one-sided.

Other than that, though, I agree.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

You know, except when they call 10 penalties, to zero.  Then, it's not inconsistent.  It's just inexcusably one-sided.

Other than that, though, I agree.

After getting that totally gifted non-safety against USC and not having taunting called on Omenihu against KSU, I’m just glad to count both those games as wins.

9 hours ago, Nivek said:

It wasn’t as bad as the Okie State game where they just negated every Texas big play with a flag and minimized Okie states with more flags and phantom flags.

Goddamnit. Until the USC game two weeks ago, this was the last game I'd attended in Austin (live out of state). That sequence of the absurd holding on Poona followed by the ref running into Charlie and then penalizing him for it gets me triggered every time I think about it. Stoops went fucking ballistic on the refs every week for 20 years and that shit never happened to him. And Charlie wasn't even going that crazy. I've never seen that fucking call on a coach in a football game - not to mention at a critical juncture. It was ridiculous and felt like a scene out of Remember the Titans

I always felt badly for Strong about that game - that was a legit big win that he had literally taken from his team. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Texas was averaging 7.25 penalties for 69.5 yards per game

KSU was averaging 6.75 penalties for 63.5 yards per game.

It was bullshit and had an impact on the game.

Hey nobody got suspended for the 1st half of the RRR praise the lord.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Goddamnit. Until the USC game two weeks ago, this was the last game I'd attended in Austin (live out of state). That sequence of the absurd holding on Poona followed by the ref running into Charlie and then penalizing him for it gets me triggered every time I think about it. Stoops went fucking ballistic on the refs every week for 20 years and that shit never happened to him. And Charlie wasn't even going that crazy. I've never seen that fucking call on a coach in a football game - not to mention at a critical juncture. It was ridiculous and felt like a scene out of Remember the Titans

I always felt badly for Strong about that game - that was a legit big win that he had literally taken from his team. 

Hey I was the drunk guy in row 25 screaming RIG 12 RIG 12 BOOOOOO like a wild animal that game.

36 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Texas was averaging 7.25 penalties for 69.5 yards per game

KSU was averaging 6.75 penalties for 63.5 yards per game.

It was bullshit and had an impact on the game.

Maybe some cat made it slide that this was Bill (Grant Teaff) Snyder retirement game.