Perpetual Middle East Geopolitical Quagmire Megathread

Hugo Stiglitz

9 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

The fact that these asswipes were eliminated in Baghdad instead of Tehran evidences Iran's role in projecting terror all over the Middle East. 

I wouldn’t be casting stones. At least it’s their own neighborhood and they are closely tied to Iraq now, which is a Shiite majority neighbor. 

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I wouldn’t be casting stones. At least it’s their own neighborhood and they are closely tied to Iraq now, which is a Shiite majority neighbor. 

Sorry, I should have said: "Iran's role in projecting terror all over the world" as was mentioned in the Yashar Ali tweet that you cited.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

5 minutes ago, used2b said:

Can someone who has been paying attention please post a summary of what's going on and why?

This twitter thread was cited above (Scroll down as it now includes arounnd 15 entries) -- it has a lot of detail on the deceased brethren and their role in Iran's terror regime:

Edited by DalTxHornFan

9 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

This happened in Iraq? WTF is a high ranking Iranian military official doing in fuckin Baghdad?

I can't say for certain, but there have been Iranian forces in Iraq for a while, as well as Iranian backed militias comprised of Shiite Iraqis. They fought alongside regular Iraqi soldiers against ISIS the last couple of years. Moreover, their units actually coordinated the fight with Americans and Kurds during that effort.

A report I heard yesterday or the day before, some of those militias were in the process of being integrated with Iraqi regulars, while some were not. One of the latter was responsible for killing the American contractor and we responded by killing 24, which resulted in the attack on the embassy.

So...like...it's complicated I would imagine.

Edited by bolverk
Cleaned up my fat fingered shitshow

Not a fan of this move. I don’t like that this probably moves us closer to Neocon wet dream of direct Iran confrontation. 

That said, this tweet is fucking hilarious. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

This happened in Iraq? WTF is a high ranking Iranian military official doing in fuckin Baghdad?

I had friends in Iraq when the insurgency activity ramped up, and they caught a shit-ton of Iranians and Saudis coming into Iraq with money/weapons or who were there train various factions to fight a Shiite/Sunni proxy war in Iraq.  Quds were known to be coming in and out of Iraq, and both groups were known to have killed Americans, or rather funded/trained those who did.

Can't find it now, but one of the websites for the leadership back in the later 2000s used to mention when coalition troops caught Iranians or Saudis coming over, and it was a pretty surprising number.

It's an open secret.

10 hours ago, Lagunamadre said:

This event just illustrates you don't just go to war with Iran, you go to war with all Shia fighters across the region. The more we provoke them (i.e. tearing up an agreement they were compliant with) the more we risk a full on war in Iran, Iraq and an escalation in the ongoing wars in Yemen and Syria. All because Trump wanted to troll Obama by tearing up one of his biggest accomplishments. 

It also illustrates how utterly predictable it was that knocking off Saddam Hussein and putting the majority Shi'ites in power would result in a huge boost to Iranian influence in the region. It couldn't have had any other result. 

• Like 1