Perpetual Middle East Geopolitical Quagmire Megathread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, StruggleBus said:

98% of Americans had never heard of this dude before today. But 100% of Americans have an informed opinion on how his death will escalate tensions and eventually cause WW3. 

Or stabilize the region and bring peace to Israel and strategically significance oil fields. 

The certainty is (certainly) assured. The foundation will vary. 

• Like 2

So there's a kinda spooky NYT op-ed piece from today about hypersonic missiles entering common use with an eyebrow raising paragraph

Moreover, hypersonics are a weaponized moral hazard for states with a taste for intervention, because they erase barriers to picking fights. Is an adversary building something that might be a weapons factory? Is there an individual in an unfriendly country who cannot be apprehended? What if the former commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards, Qassem Soleimani, visits Baghdad for a meeting and you know the address? The temptations to use hypersonic missiles will be many.

Combined with adult baby trump seemingly knowing and tweeting about it earlier today, makes me think that NYT may be letting us know that we're slinging next-gen missiles 

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

So there's a kinda spooky NYT op-ed piece from today about hypersonic missiles entering common use with an eyebrow raising paragraph

Combined with adult baby trump seemingly knowing and tweeting about it earlier today, makes me think that NYT may be letting us know that we're slinging next-gen missiles 

I would lean towards Apaches.  Friendly airspace, and available intel would make this an easy kill for an Apache.   Meanwhile, Charlie Kirk broke ranks and said he doesn’t want war with Iran, while applauding the strike.  Typical Republican.   

1 hour ago, ousuxndallas said:

Trump is the antithesis of that pussy Obama. The reasons why you guys hate Trump are the reasons we love him. He told Iran not to start shit, and when they did, he laid the wood.

#MAGA
092245e4e9202615cccc4b512a2b4d15.jpg

honestly, if i had to guess, your financial house is in order, you probably have got shit in place to take care of your family, and generally you are a smart dude doing smart shit for a living.

i cannot manage to line up this post with my impressions of you. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

Trump is the antithesis of that pussy Obama. The reasons why you guys hate Trump are the reasons we love him. He told Iran not to start shit, and when they did, he laid the wood.

#MAGA

lmao Trump and his admin did this to get  Iran to respond by killing Americans in Iraq and/or Syria.  Trump wants Americans to die. 

19 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

So if this escalates, who from our alliances will help? 

Think a retaliation will force the NATO articles? I don't see them coming to help thus further fracturing that strategic organization. 

I think it could create very big Alliance issues.  Apparently, we didnt tell the Brits that we were going after Solemaini (sic) and they aren't happy.

Thanks for The New Yorker article. The part that caught my attention was this:

Suleimani seemed distressed by the loss of life. Before sending his men into battle, he would embrace each one and bid him goodbye; in speeches, he praised martyred soldiers and begged their forgiveness for not being martyred himself.

He is now forgiven.

• Like 2

That New Yorker article should be required reading - very comprehensive and informative. And no doubt this was a tremendous blow to the Iranians. I'm inclined to believe they'll either back down or, more likely, lash out in a wildly erratic and violent way throughout their proxy network to exact revenge.

2 minutes ago, Cacti said:

Thanks for The New Yorker article. The part that caught my attention was this:

He is now forgiven.

There was also that bit where he lost high numbers of forces from sending them across battlefields “to clear mine fields.”  Maybe I misread it, but tactically that’s kind of an uneven trade, even for martyrs.

Reading that New Yorker article was quite a refresher for names and events over the last few decades.

6 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

This country deserves whatever's coming for putting a Republican back in the WH so quickly after Bush/Iraq. 

To be fair to history, it's been 165 years and counting, since U.S. voters elected a living Democrat President to take over from another living Democrat President.  But yeah, long wars do tend to shake things up at the top of the ballot.  

My brain already hurts from trying to figure out exactly how his base is gonna rationalize another completely erroneous war in the Middle East.  We're not there for their oil, we're not there to spread democracy (if it didn't take in Iraq, it sure as shit ain't taking in Iran), we're not there to spread Christianity, and we're not there to remove them from an occupation of an ally.  

I guess let's just hang back and let them paint their own picture of delusion.  

13 minutes ago, TriStone said:

I don't believe you.  Do you have a link on that?

Speaker:

“The Administration has conducted tonight’s strikes in Iraq targeting high-level Iranian military officials and killing Iranian Quds Force Commander Qasem Soleimani without an Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) against Iran.  Further, this action was taken without the consultation of the Congress.”

full text:  https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/1220

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

#MAGA

hope you're the first one signing your kids up to be enlisted because Merica.  I wouldn't sign up to die for a country where my commander in chief (or even anybody in his family) would be willing to die for our country. fuck trump and fuck you

Some of the right all excited about starting another war yet our idiot in chief doesn't know what he's going to do next.  The fucking white house and DOD can't even get the name correct of who Soleiman worked for.  The incompetence at the top of our government is sad but fuck it tax cuts for the rich.

Edited by CowboyFred
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

To be fair to history, it's been 165 years and counting, since U.S. voters elected a living Democrat President to take over from another living Democrat President.  But yeah, long wars do tend to shake things up at the top of the ballot.  

My brain already hurts from trying to figure out exactly how his base is gonna rationalize another completely erroneous war in the Middle East.  We're not there for their oil, we're not there to spread democracy (if it didn't take in Iraq, it sure as shit ain't taking in Iran), we're not there to spread Christianity, and we're not there to remove them from an occupation of an ally.  

Considering how completely ignorant and inconsistent he is, Trump got played.  The question is by whom.  I’d put my money on whomever seeks to shield Trump while simultaneously undermining the global standing of the US, jack oil prices, and boost the market for black market arms sales.  I can think of one off the top of my head.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

They aren’t going to see it like that. They are going to take each step as a necessary retaliation for the previous Iranian escalation. 

“They gave us no choice. We had to respond instead of showing weakness like Obama would have.”

Just now, Red Five said:

You love him because he's a career criminal and conman and has no idea what he's doing and is historically corrupt and is incapable of telling the truth and is a truly terrible human being? That's weird. 

just to clarify that was that ousux slapdick who said what you quoted.

• Like 2

You Trumpkins know there's a difference between targeting an ISIS C-level guy who just happens to be in XYZ country one day when intel/sigint picks him up, and then targeting a recognized 2-star from an established nation's Armed Forces,  who was currently in another sovereign nation? ....RIGHT?

One doesn't require Congressional approval, or even notice (save for a few key ones on certain committees pertaining to that region) because they are terrorists from non-recognized "states" that could pop up anywhere including our own shores.  The other is a General Officer in a long-standing and decades-known Iranian military command.  

You can't brag about how high ranking and well-known this guy was that your boy "took out", and then not realize that's different from a killing Isis operatives who base their command structure on number of goat horns in their possession.  

Now yes, time was of the essence.  If you're going to commit an illegal murder, you need to do it before the target moves/hides, or gets into a civilian area.  You don't have time to convene Congress.  I get it.  For better or worse, this country does that all the time through D and R administrations.  But you had time to tell Eric Trump?  Seriously?  Plus you know it took him several hours to process the intel,   then he had to google who this guy was on an unsecured cell phone, then he had to concoct his eloquent and bold tweet, so he probably knew longer than any other unelected official in the history of our Republic.  Way to go TRUMPKINS!