Perpetual Middle East Geopolitical Quagmire Megathread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

When I want advice on a world terrorist I go  straight to the country that was the center of two world wars.

The Germans aren’t starting a war with Iran. Trump is. I expect you to report to your local draft board now, my brother. 

Last week, the official troop count (combat and non-combat) was a public figure of 5,000.  I'm sure that doesn't include SAC/SAD, but probably includes all other special operators that are not civilian contractors with sidearms.  I just want to time stamp this because I want to see what our public count is in 30 or 90 days.  And I want to see Trump and his supporters discuss it.  

Gee, imagine having to try to clean up your bosses stupid impulsive decisions day in and day out.  On second thought, fuck them.  They chose the bed they want to sleep in.

https://www.axios.com/trump-iraq-parliament-us-troops-vote-iran-11771de3-f3a0-42d9-82fd-10d13dbf76cd.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic

The Trump administration tried, unsuccessfully, to persuade top Iraqi officials to kill a parliamentary effort to force the U.S. military out of Iraq, according to two U.S. officials and an Iraqi government official familiar with the situation.

Why it matters: The Iraqi parliament passed a resolution today calling on the Iraqi government to expel U.S. troops from Iraq, after the U.S killed Iranian Gen. Qasem Soleimani and a leader of an Iraqi militia with a drone strike near Baghdad airport.

"I think it would be inconvenient for us, but it would be catastrophic for Iraq," said a U.S. official familiar with the Trump administration's effort to block the vote. "It's our concern that Iraq would take a short-term decision that would have catastrophic long-term implications for the country and its security."

"But it's also, what would happen to them financially," the official added, "if they allowed Iran to take advantage of their economy to such an extent that they would fall under the sanctions that are on Iran?” (Countries can be subject to the sanctions if they engage in certain kinds of trade with Iran.)

“We don't want to see that. We're trying very hard to work to have that not happen," the official said.

"It's our concern that Iraq would take a short-term decision that would have catastrophic long-term implications for the country and its security."

If anyone would know what that's like, it would be a member of the Trump administration.

It’s almost like electing a fascist leads to fascism 

Trump may order all Iranian-Americans in the US  to be rounded up, Korematsu be damned. 

Honestly, the possibility of [mention=791]Iconoclast Texan[/mention] getting deported or sent off to an internment camp is so delightful that it really has me rethinking the merits of the Trump Administration.

Yeah...Korematsu can get fucked. Who’s going to stop him? McConnell will block any senate actions. And hell, even if SCOTUS stepped in...who’s gonna enforce it? Seriously, he’ll just ignore them.

We are detaining American citizens because of their ethnic heritage. Again. That’s a thing. That’s happening right now.

But those of us who sounded the alarm about fascism were just being alarmist. Ok then.
When I want advice on a world terrorist I go  straight to the country that was the center of two world wars.

If you wanna know if touching the hot stove fucking burns you, it’s actually pretty smart to listen to the folks who touched the hot stove twice (just to see if they could do it better the second time). When they tell me “dude, that stove will burn the shit out of you,” I believe them and listen to them.

But, you know, continue to support a guy detaining American citizens based on ethnicity, driven by a stupid-ass impulsive decision that he has no end-game plan for...except threatening MULTIPLE violations of the law and unambiguous war crimes. Cool, cool.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

There ain’t no draft no more.

There was one?

Next ME war we get involved in needs to hammer home what war is. 

Even if you or your family member(s) weren't sent overseas in WWI or WWII, the existential threat of WAR was shared at home- Victory Gardens, War Bonds, rationing of steel and rubber. Even when the threat was one Vietnam degree removed  there was a draft.

The Cheney Chickenhawk template tells America "Go about your business. Act like nothing's happening."

Ration fuel. Are you working? You got enough fuel to get to work and back. That's it. Getting on a jet to fly off for vacation or a routine weekend in Florida? 

Fuck.

You.

Let's see how long that lasts.

Edited by Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah...Korematsu can get fucked. Who’s going to stop him? McConnell will block any senate actions. And hell, even if SCOTUS stepped in...who’s gonna enforce it? Seriously, he’ll just ignore them.

We are detaining American citizens because of their ethnic heritage. Again. That’s a thing. That’s happening right now.

But those of us who sounded the alarm about fascism were just being alarmist. Ok then.

If you wanna know if touching the hot stove fucking burns you, it’s actually pretty smart to listen to the folks who touched the hot stove twice (just to see if they could do it better the second time). When they tell me “dude, that stove will burn the shit out of you,” I believe them and listen to them.

But, you know, continue to support a guy detaining American citizens based on ethnicity, driven by a stupid-ass impulsive decision that he has no end-game plan for...except threatening MULTIPLE violations of the law and unambiguous war crimes. Cool, cool.

Well Brisket what would you have them do? Vote for Hillary? We all know she’s so much worse. I mean come on dude, her emails...

Edited by hobbes2702

33 minutes ago, immamac said:

Icono doesn't have access to CR at all. Please stop talking about him and trying to provoke him to showing up. He couldn't even if he wanted to. 

Fuck off. Your obsession with protecting his fragile psyche is bizarre. When Trump starts detaining Iranian Americans we’re obviously going to shit all over the Iranian American on this board that vociferously supports fascist bullshit like that.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Last week, the official troop count (combat and non-combat) was a public figure of 5,000.  I'm sure that doesn't include SAC/SAD, but probably includes all other special operators that are not civilian contractors with sidearms.  I just want to time stamp this because I want to see what our public count is in 30 or 90 days.  And I want to see Trump and his supporters discuss it.  

My understanding is they voted to give us a year to leave.

I spend some time in the German part of the Belgian Ardennes two weeks ago - St. Vith/Malmedy area, .  Glad I was not there now.  They were frosty as it was at my 'Murican ass.

In our travels in Northern Europe in the past few years, we’ve found that it’s very helpful, pretty early in the conversation with anyone, to explain “no Trump” (my daughter handles the translation). Not only does it reduce any hostility, it actually breeds camaraderie - “we loathe him just as much as you do” gives us something in common, right off the bat.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Y’all know Trump is the real terrorist here right? 

If he follows through on that threat, absolutely he is.

Soldiers/pilots aren't supposed to be punished for disobeying an unlawful order but, practically speaking, what happens if they refuse?

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

If he follows through on that threat, absolutely he is.

Soldiers/pilots aren't supposed to be punished for disobeying an unlawful order but, practically speaking, what happens if they refuse?

It's in the UCMJ.  If it's an unlawful order, it would create a shitstorm if somebody tried to fuck with their career - talk about your whistleblowers galore going to Congress.

Keep in mind the military approval for Trump is around 42% as it is (Air Force has a lot of officers tilting that).  Plenty are pissed over the Kurds, and going by my friends/family that are active-duty or Reserve/NG, plenty, including former Trump supporters are pissed about him being flippant in potentially starting a war with Iran.

Trump is in love with the whole military thing (remember the military parade he wanted in his honor?) and given he and his family's avoiding serving in said military, they don't understand that Iran is not Iraq of 2003, or Afghanistan.  

Shit, even the Venezuelans took out a couple of British destroyers and frigates in a fairly wide-open area of the Ocean.  The Strait of Hormuz is only 20 miles across, and the Iranians have plenty of missiles that can cover that and a big chunk of the Persian Gulf.

• Like 1

So, here’s your question.

Purposefully targeting and destroying cultural sites for non-military reasons (i.e., enemy forces aren’t using them as a fighting position, etc.) is a war crime. Committing a war crime is a violation of law, per the UCMJ. An order to commit a war crime is an unlawful order.

You, pilot of a B-1, are ordered to strike the site of Persepolis, a purely cultural site. What do you do?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's in the UCMJ.  If it's an unlawful order, it would create a shitstorm if somebody tried to fuck with their career - talk about your whistleblowers galore going to Congress.

Keep in mind the military approval for Trump is around 42% as it is (Air Force has a lot of officers tilting that).  Plenty are pissed over the Kurds, and going by my friends/family that are active-duty or Reserve/NG, plenty, including former Trump supporters are pissed about him being flippant in potentially starting a war with Iran.

Trump is in love with the whole military thing (remember the military parade he wanted in his honor?) and given he and his family's avoiding serving in said military, they don't understand that Iran is not Iraq of 2003, or Afghanistan.  

Shit, even the Venezuelans took out a couple of British destroyers and frigates in a fairly wide-open area of the Ocean.  The Strait of Hormuz is only 20 miles across, and the Iranians have plenty of missiles that can cover that and a big chunk of the Persian Gulf.

Argentinians?  Or do you mean the Crisis of 1895.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Argentinians?  Or do you mean the Crisis of 1895.

Sorry, miserable from the pollen and not paying attention.

But I did go back and read up on the 1980s Persian Gulf shenanigans for comparison - we had to sink a frigate of theirs, a gunboat, some speedboats, a couple of oil platforms, and down an airliner (by accident) before they finally backed down.   Up until then, they had no problem constantly fucking with us, laying mines, etc., no matter how much we retaliated or chased them off.

So Trump just needs to kill a bunch of Iranian civilians, and maybe they will back down this time as well.  in the meantime, they've got some upgraded Chinese anti-ship missiles from the late 90s and on with a range of 100+ miles to fuck with us.  Who knows how many the Iranians manufactured.  

Oh, and they can be driven around on the backs of trucks.

spacer.png

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You, pilot of a B-1, are ordered to strike the site of Persepolis, a purely cultural site. What do you do?

Blow up a wedding instead?

Okay, that was a shitty joke.  Shitty jokes aside, I don't know how the Air Force handles it, and my experience was with the Army in the 90s as an enlisted soldier, but it was beaten into our heads not to fuck around with the UCMJ.  

You would understand it more than I, but the UCMJ was established by Congress.  I imagine that Trump ordering the Air Force to destroy cultural and civilian targets is going to get plenty of coverage in Congress, and Turtle can't stop that coverage, nor can he stop the images pouring out over social media.

Our media does not like to cover actual footage of dead bodies these days, but many countries don't have a problem with it.

I do not think this is something Republicans want to defend going into November.  And if Trump goes through with that, and the Iranians start sinking/killing shitloads of US sailors, that's not going to play well with the elections.  Obama was helped by the backlash over Iraq.