Perpetual Middle East Geopolitical Quagmire Megathread

Hugo Stiglitz

I don't despise Jared as much as most of you in the CR.  However, I'd like to see Iran take him out because I want to see Donald console Ivanka at the state funeral.  I would imagine it would be exactly like Will Ferrell with the grieving woman in "Wedding Crashers."  

Just now, Lobo said:

I don't despise Jared as much as most of you in the CR.  However, I'd like to see Iran take him out because I want to see Donald console Ivanka at the state funeral.  I would imagine it would be exactly like Will Ferrell with the grieving woman in "Wedding Crashers."  

Actually it'd probably be like his actual reaction to 9/11: "Now my dick is the biggest Ivanka ever had."

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This wag the dog plan is going pretty well so far from an administration standpoint.  Media is completely engulfed with bullshit pressers and Iran analysis.  

Thoughts and prayers to all our troops now in harms way tho

This. I feel for the young men and women in the line of fire for no reason beyond that of a group of war hawks who never served in the military themselves having a dick measuring contest.

Just disgusts me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

This. I feel for the young men and women in the line of fire for no reason beyond that of a group of war hawks who never served in the military themselves having a dick measuring contest.

Just disgusts me.

Meanwhile, McConnell is gonna quietly push through the rules for the sham impeachment trial while the media is focused on this. It almost sounds ... coordinated. Nah.  They would never do that. 

45 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Smack dab in the middle of Sunni territory. 

Relatively anemic and targeted Iranian response thus far - thankfully. I have no doubt we will respond with attacks aimed at the launch sites. And let's hope no American troops were hurt or killed.  

58 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Relatively anemic and targeted Iranian response thus far - thankfully. I have no doubt we will respond with attacks aimed at the launch sites. And let's hope no American troops were hurt or killed.  

I was expecting some missiles in the Gulf at first, but this makes more sense - gauge US reaction.

For the sake of peace, let's hope the administration does treat this as just a little noise and does not overreact. Millions of lives in the ME hang in the balance. 

None of the administration or half the US gives a shit about middle eastern lives. They don’t view them as human.

Here's the stickiness of this situation. Technically as a sovereign nation Iraq was attacked by Iran tonight if you believe the reports. 

I tend to believe the attack in Al Asad originated in Iraq but whatever. If Iraqi soldiers/citizens we're killed and Iran takes responsibility then their government has to respond in some form. 

Quagmire

It's like fucking madlibs for current events. A Ukrainian Boeing 737 crashed in the capitol of Iran hours after escalating tensions with the US. 

Oh, and it appears that there was just an earthquake near one of Iran's nuclear facilities.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us70006w5q/executive

Wonder if Iran just joined the nuke club. 

What fucking interesting times we live in. 

22 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's like fucking madlibs for current events. A Ukrainian Boeing 737 crashed in the capitol of Iran hours after escalating tensions with the US. 

Oh, and it appears that there was just an earthquake near one of Iran's nuclear facilities.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us70006w5q/executive

Wonder if Iran just joined the nuke club. 

What fucking interesting times we live in. 

Indeed. The Iranians have a lot on their plate right now. Enough to keep them busy for a while as they try to get their nuclear facility safely back in shape and deal with a destroyed civilian airliner. I hope that points them again down the path of measured reaction in this flare-up with the U.S.

4 hours ago, maninblack said:

Here's the stickiness of this situation. Technically as a sovereign nation Iraq was attacked by Iran tonight if you believe the reports. 

I tend to believe the attack in Al Asad originated in Iraq but whatever. If Iraqi soldiers/citizens we're killed and Iran takes responsibility then their government has to respond in some form. 

Quagmire

Iraq was invaded by the US, so does Iraq get to attack the US?

We have not moved much at all. 3rd ID? First Cav? When they move, which will take a congressional vote, I will get worried about WW3. 

I said it earlier, we are in a proxy battle and they will hit us back, but we are not storming the shores of Iran. What we moved into the region are to protect what we already have there and pin prick them if Iran keeps it up. 

If Iran invaded across into Kuwait with their full armored strength we have only air power to stop them. And that is all we have to mess with them. 

We don't have the military force in numbers to storm the ground in Iran. It would also invite other countries to come to Iran's aid while our allies stay home because in this situation we are basically Nazi Germany unilaterally invading a sovereign nation for no reason other than power. 

I'd be shocked if this idiot show invades Iran. It would be the worst blunder in US history and the casualties would be massive. 

I feel bad for these troops but if you're stupid enough to enlist in the military of a country that has for the last 40 years straight just been warmongering all over the globe them you kind of get what you get. I'd rather be a bank robber or sell meth than join the US military and be a sacrificial lamb for these pieces of shit. 

• Fuck You 2

Hardly anyone had heard of Soleimani before this killing. Now everyone is calling him a terrorist and say he deserved to die.

Again, hardly anyone even knows who he is. Whether he was a bad guy or not, it demonstrates how our political parties and our President can create any talking point and have people blindly spit it out like a robot.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Hardly anyone had heard of Soleimani before this killing. Now everyone is calling him a terrorist and say he deserved to die.

Again, hardly anyone even knows who he is. Whether he was a bad guy or not, it demonstrates how our political parties and our President can create any talking point and have people blindly spit it out like a robot.

Yep.  It’s crazy how easy the narrative sets in without pushback or investigation. 

3 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Who the hell is this dipshit?

He’s a geopolitical expert/commentator. Big advocate for globalism. He’s posted pics of himself with “friends” like Christine Lagarde and Shinzo Abe. So he’s extremely well connected and, as he stated, no fan of Trump.