Perpetual Middle East Geopolitical Quagmire Megathread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

I, too, am far from a Trump supporter.  But impossible to call Iran outcome a win for US president and no, this is not a big opportunity going forward.  

I mean unless you're okay with our country looking complete idiots/assholes.  We killed their #2 in command for no apparent reason other than dipshit picked the wrong answer in a multiple choice question.  

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Hardly anyone had heard of Soleimani before this killing. Now everyone is calling him a terrorist and say he deserved to die.

Again, hardly anyone even knows who he is. Whether he was a bad guy or not, it demonstrates how our political parties and our President can create any talking point and have people blindly spit it out like a robot.

Think about this...  Soleimani led a force that considered the takeover of Jerusalem as their job.  And even the Israelis hadn't killed him yet. 

Doesnt mean they might not have tried but they hadn't succeeded yet.  And you better believe that if the Mossad had pulled it off, Neyanyahu or whoever was in charge sure as hell wouldn't have taken credit for it.

30 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

I, too, am far from a Trump supporter.  But impossible to call Iran outcome a win for US president and no, this is not a big opportunity going forward.  

I mean unless you're okay with our country looking complete idiots/assholes.  We killed their #2 in command for no apparent reason other than dipshit picked the wrong answer in a multiple choice question.  

Good. That’s your opinion. Thanks for sharing.

I was just sharing the opinion of an expert whose job/life focus is analyzing international relations.

5 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Think about this...  Soleimani led a force that considered the takeover of Jerusalem as their job.  And even the Israelis hadn't killed him yet. 

Doesnt mean they might not have tried but they hadn't succeeded yet.  And you better believe that if the Mossad had pulled it off, Neyanyahu or whoever was in charge sure as hell wouldn't have taken credit for it.

How do you know the Mossad didn't pull it off?

I sometimes chuckle to myself watching these cell phone videos capturing the missiles being launched... or passenger jet being shutdown.

Us Americans would be either freaking out that we just witnessed 180 crash to their deaths... or probably shot at by US defense sector for being too close to a missile silo during the middle of a counter attack.

Not these Iranians. They're so used to this shit that it's nothing. Plane shot down a few miles ahead? Imma just casually talk to myself or whoever is by me.

2 missiles shot from the other side of that patch of trees that could start WW3? Ah no biggie.. probably not the only missile theyve seen fired this week

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

That's been debunked. He's actually picked up supporters as of this morning.

Which part is debunked?  He's at like 365K as of right now.  Was he not at 900K before the announcement?  I don't follow him but was just going off the tweet that had him dropping from 900K to 500K.

Edit:

Figured it out.  Apparently the original tweet said he was down from 900K.  It looks like he may have been at 560K before his announcement.  So, we're both technically wrong.  The 2/3 is debunked (looks more like 40 percent) but he most definitely has not picked up supporters since his announcement.

Edited by DDD Dad

4 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Which part is debunked?  He's at like 365K as of right now.  Was he not at 900K before the announcement?  I don't follow him but was just going off the tweet that had him dropping from 900K to 500K.

I don't follow him either, but I saw a tweet this morning showing a recap of his analytics over the past two weeks through this morning and he's been averaging around 350K followers. Here's where I saw the information.

3 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

I don't follow him either, but I saw a tweet this morning showing a recap of his analytics over the past two weeks through this morning and he's been averaging around 350K followers. Here's where I saw the information.

Well, hell.  That's what I get for believing what I read on the internet.  This was the actual post I was trying to link, which seems to contradict the post you cited. 

Since I don't follow Gaetz (and don't pay attention to followers anyway) I have no way of knowing who to believe without sleuthing.

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

Gaetz has two main twitter accounts.  RepMattGaetz and MattGaetz.  Combined around 900k follows.

These morons probably can't subract correctly.

I guess that makes me a moron too.  

Not surprising considering I post here.

Edited by DDD Dad

7 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Gaetz has two main twitter accounts.  RepMattGaetz and MattGaetz.  Combined around 900k follows.

These morons probably can't subract correctly.

This. Throw me in with not reading fully. Though, the take away is he really hasn't lost 400K followers, not that any of that really matters.

I guess this makes us an occupying power.

US dismisses Iraq request to work on a troop withdrawal plan

BAGHDAD (AP) — Iraq’s caretaker prime minister asked Washington to start working out a road map for an American troop withdrawal, but the U.S. State Department on Friday bluntly rejected the request, saying the two sides should instead talk about how to “recommit” to their partnership.

Thousands of anti-government protesters gathered in the capital and southern Iraq, many calling on both Iran and America to leave Iraq, reflecting anger and frustration over the two rivals — both Baghdad’s allies — trading blows on Iraqi soil.

Iraqis have felt furious and helpless at being caught in the middle of fighting between Baghdad’s two closest allies. Abdul-Mahdi has said he rejects all violations of Iraqi sovereignty, including both the Iranian and U.S. strikes.

On Friday, the U.S. State Department flatly dismissed the request. It said the presence of U.S. troops was crucial for the fight against the Islamic State group and it would not discuss removing them.

https://apnews.com/182bae76452d7565b0a3d840ff0369cb

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I guess this makes us an occupying power.

US dismisses Iraq request to work on a troop withdrawal plan

BAGHDAD (AP) — Iraq’s caretaker prime minister asked Washington to start working out a road map for an American troop withdrawal, but the U.S. State Department on Friday bluntly rejected the request, saying the two sides should instead talk about how to “recommit” to their partnership.

Thousands of anti-government protesters gathered in the capital and southern Iraq, many calling on both Iran and America to leave Iraq, reflecting anger and frustration over the two rivals — both Baghdad’s allies — trading blows on Iraqi soil.

Iraqis have felt furious and helpless at being caught in the middle of fighting between Baghdad’s two closest allies. Abdul-Mahdi has said he rejects all violations of Iraqi sovereignty, including both the Iranian and U.S. strikes.

On Friday, the U.S. State Department flatly dismissed the request. It said the presence of U.S. troops was crucial for the fight against the Islamic State group and it would not discuss removing them.

https://apnews.com/182bae76452d7565b0a3d840ff0369cb

What a fine mess the Rs have created.

This morning they announce new economic sanctions against Iran and the White House says they will continue to apply "until Iran stops its terrorist activities and commits that it will never have nuclear weapons."  So is Trump is imposing sanctions on Iran until they agree to the same deal he broke?

4 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

This morning they announce new economic sanctions against Iran and the White House says they will continue to apply "until Iran stops its terrorist activities and commits that it will never have nuclear weapons."  So is Trump is imposing sanctions on Iran until they agree to the same deal he broke?

It's the dotard playbook.  Create mess, pretend to fix mess, take credit.  Only this time Iran is going to tell us to get fucked.

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I loved my time in Oman. RIP Sultan Qaboos. 

I listened to a report about Oman a couple months ago, and they made it out to sound like a lovely and tranquil place thanks to this guy and his people's particular brand of Islam. I have no way of judging as an outsider other than I've never heard of disquiet there, which is saying a lot for that part of the world.

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I listened to a report about Oman a couple months ago, and they made it out to sound like a lovely and tranquil place thanks to this guy and his people's particular brand of Islam. I have no way of judging as an outsider other than I've never heard of disquiet there, which is saying a lot for that part of the world.

There was some, but man, it is paradise. Muscat's markets, Sulemaniya, just driving around the country. Gorgeous, not flashy like the Gulf States, and everyone was very nice to be around. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

There was some, but man, it is paradise. Muscat's markets, Sulemaniya, just driving around the country. Gorgeous, not flashy like the Gulf States, and everyone was very nice to be around. 

Avicii died at one of the fancy resorts there too 

Oman was one of the worlds best kept secrets; spent a lot of time in UAE and Oman for work and Oman >>> Dubai by a mile. They are super aggressively nice and accommodating in trying to become a destination for Americans and Euros to come spend money. Super cheap super beautiful, it’s awesome. Wonder if the direction changes now.

9 out of 10 laymen, non traveling folks would be aghast when I told them I’m going to Oman as most people figure the only friendly state in the Middle East is Dubai.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Like 1