marquise brown vs. kris boyd

BigOrange1

I knew hill would be the guy we missed most of defense.  What I didn't expect was a freshman coming in and making the loss of Elliott not a big deal.  

I don't know what we can do about Boyd, he's got age, size, experience, but the guy gets burned so. Many. Times. Every. Game.  And he's good for at least 2 back breaking 3rd down penalties that extend drives because he gets burned.  

If I'm an opposing OC there's enough film that I know he's the guy to target.  Orlando can put help over the top of Boyd which he will have to do, and then I just pick on Locke.  

Boyd is one of the best athletes on the team and he uses that athleticism to bail himself out of a lot of mistakes he makes in technique and reads. My hot take is that if Akina was still here, Boyd would be on the Mt. Rushmore of DBU due to the raw physical aspect of his game combined with Akina coaching. Unfortunately, Duane Akina isn't walking through that door, so all you can do is pray that Boyd plays a mistake free game against OU.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Isn't Brown in the slot?  Boyd is probably going to be on Lamb.

They lined Boyd up against sc and frog's best reciever. Don't see that stopping against those fuckers up north. 

This game will come down to how many points Texas' O can put up (duh) and how quick we make them abandon the run. 

Boyd does fall victim to the double move more than I would like and Brown has the ability to make life miserable for anyone who has him in coverage.  That said, I believe he will make his share of plays and limit the damage.  Nineteen points will not win in Dallas, and Boyd cannot help our offense.  The last two games were decided by five points each so here's hoping Brown doesn't get the chance to make a difference in the game by scoring. 

Boyd will shut him down the majority of the game, but also do his usual Kris Boyd tax.  In this case, his tax will most likely be a 60 yard TD.
I still generally feel this way but he couldn't cover air yesterday and was consistently picked on by what is probably the worst passing team in the conference. At thisv point Sterns needs to be on his side of the field every play.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sick of reading and hearing about Boyd being our best corner.  He isn't very good, certainly not great.  He gets beaten badly multiple times a game and is always good for at least one drive extending penalty per game.  I think Davis is better overall and I would also be in favor of giving a younger guy with more upside Boyd reps.  K State went to Boyd's side intentionally, after they switched QBs and introduced the forward pass to their offense.  It nearly won them the game.

If your expecting a pitch perfect shutout, you are gonna be disappointed.  However Boyd, Davis, Sterns, Foster and Jones will be fine Saturday.  I'm still a little weary of Locke, but I think in the overall of things, the secondary will be fine.  I'm just hoping that Foster has the greenlight this weekend and the ewok decides to run for it.

3 hours ago, Hozz said:

I'm pretty sick of reading and hearing about Boyd being our best corner.  He isn't very good, certainly not great.  He gets beaten badly multiple times a game and is always good for at least one drive extending penalty per game.  I think Davis is better overall and I would also be in favor of giving a younger guy with more upside Boyd reps.  K State went to Boyd's side intentionally, after they switched QBs and introduced the forward pass to their offense.  It nearly won them the game.

Who do you think is better?

Although I'm a football fan I exclusively played basketball when I was in school so some of the techniques that you work on in practice for positions like CB is kinda foreign to me. Why does Boyd bite on double moves so much? Is it because he's overly aggressive? He's like a guy that gets badly crossed over because he's following the ball instead of watching the other guy's midsection. He falls for it often and relies on raw physical ability to make up for it. Last week he battled well against Raegor, this week I was pulling my hair out. 

We need to use a variant of the the 2012 Muschamp game plan against Manziel.  4 down.  Forget sacks, forget speed rush.  He is too elusive.  Walk your man back into his face and make the OL self create a pocket around him.  Make him stay in that pocket and see over you to find throwing lanes.   1 LB and 6 dbs.   You have GJ take the RB and a dB spy the Ewok.  Everyone else is man up.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pch said:

Boyd does fall victim to the double move more than I would like and Brown has the ability to make life miserable for anyone who has him in coverage.  That said, I believe he will make his share of plays and limit the damage.  Nineteen points will not win in Dallas, and Boyd cannot help our offense.  The last two games were decided by five points each so here's hoping Brown doesn't get the chance to make a difference in the game by scoring. 

So our game plan is to limit OU to 19 or less? That's fair, that could work.

13 hours ago, Slade said:

Although I'm a football fan I exclusively played basketball when I was in school so some of the techniques that you work on in practice for positions like CB is kinda foreign to me. Why does Boyd bite on double moves so much? Is it because he's overly aggressive? He's like a guy that gets badly crossed over because he's following the ball instead of watching the other guy's midsection. He falls for it often and relies on raw physical ability to make up for it. Last week he battled well against Raegor, this week I was pulling my hair out. 

He has yet to fully allow himself to use the force. Keeps relying too much on his guidance system to try and launch the proton missiles.

M. Brown is good. Very good. But fuck him.

Boyd will get a few PI calls that he shouldn’t due to bad positioning like he does every game. We really need Caden Sterns to play center field like a 4 year starter. BJ foster needs to bring the wood on crossing patters and slants. Get the crowd in to it. 

33 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

That’s not new though.

Sure, but it's something that could be changed. Locke isn't great, as 6th Street mentioned, but it's absolutely unfair to him to expect him to cover someone like that. He just can't cover a quick slot by lining up 10 yards off the receiver and yet we keep asking him to do it. He finally "stopped" the slant against Kansas State last Saturday once we brought Brandon Jones down to essentially double team it.

The way I see Boyd running on the field it's almost like he's put on too much mass and it's affected his quickness. He may be very fast but I don't know how "quick" he is. It looks like he's running with concrete shoes at times. Just my opinion with my eyeball test, I'm sure his "measurables" such as shuffle indicate otherwise.

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

On the flip side, our WRs should have success too. 

OU's starting corners are 6'0. LJH is 6'4 and Johnson is 6'6. If we see single coverage on the outside we should not be afraid to throw the ball up and let our WRs make plays. 

That is assuming Sam throws the ball well.... which is not a given.

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

That is assuming Sam throws the ball well.... which is not a given.

Well, he usually throws over their heads so there’s that. 

Boyd is Duke Thomas+, and they probably need to redo the experiment from last year where they finally got his eyes right, because he’s sloppy as hell this year. 

17 hours ago, Slade said:

Although I'm a football fan I exclusively played basketball when I was in school so some of the techniques that you work on in practice for positions like CB is kinda foreign to me. Why does Boyd bite on double moves so much? Is it because he's overly aggressive? 

Corners are generally taught to contact (or maintain very close position to) receivers as they’re running down the sideline. Generally, if you feel a WR separate from that contact, you expect an out route and react by turning out to cover the man. If you’re slow to react, he can easily turn upfield, leaving you several steps behind. A corner has to anticipate the double move and react quickly. 

My opinion of Boyd is that he so confident in his ability that he lags off of receivers, believing he can make up ground and make a play if the QB throws to his man. He’s usually correct, but that is a terrible way to play. Like the attitude, hate the practice. 

I think Boyd has played out of position most his career. I'm not sure he's ever been a "coverage" type. He's more of a roamer that likes to hit and can make big plays. 

I've always thought Boyd was a better fit at nickel or safety. Or some position where he can roam more than being a coverage type. 

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think Boyd has played out of position most his career. I'm not sure he's ever been a "coverage" type. He's more of a roamer that likes to hit and can make big plays. 

I've always thought Boyd was a better fit at nickel or safety. Or some position where he can roam more than being a coverage type. 

Sterns has the body to be a CB and Boyd a SS 

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

Let him know he's got help over the top. BJ, Caden, and Brandon need to plant this little motherfucker.

He often doesn't, which is the problem. Against K-State the delayed safety blitzes kept leaving Boyd on an island. And the blitzes failed to get any additional pressure on the QB. If we flipped coverage and blitzed the safety from the other side you'd see Davante Davis start to get burnt too.

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

He often doesn't, which is the problem. Against K-State the delayed safety blitzes kept leaving Boyd on an island. And the blitzes failed to get any additional pressure on the QB. If we flipped coverage and blitzed the safety from the other side you'd see Davante Davis start to get burnt too.

No worries, Orlando will have a scheme he's been savin for these fuckheads. I think we play dime - 3 DL, 2 LBs, and 6 DBs. We absolutely make it a no-fly-zone from 10+ yards. Anyone running routes better hope the ball doesn't come their way because they will be getting POPPED. 

The 5 guys up front can shut down the run as long as the DBs keep helping fast to the ball like they have been with Orlando. 

Caden Sterns -- BJ Foster -- Brandon Jones

Davis - Boyd - Locke III (Thompson and Brown get some time too) 

Wheeler - Johnson

Omenihu - Nelson - McCulloh (Hager, Bimage, Ossai get some time too)

On 9/29/2018 at 9:01 PM, Eastwood said:

Boyd is one of the best athletes on the team and he uses that athleticism to bail himself out of a lot of mistakes he makes in technique and reads. My hot take is that if Akina was still here, Boyd would be on the Mt. Rushmore of DBU due to the raw physical aspect of his game combined with Akina coaching. Unfortunately, Duane Akina isn't walking through that door, so all you can do is pray that Boyd plays a mistake free game against OU.

I think you are exactly right.  He is just too undisciplined, but his physical skills are off the charts.  Some NFL team will love him, at least until they get him into training camp.  Then they'll have their work cut out for them.