Texas vs Oklahoma - a classic battle

SEC

One of my all-time favorite videos on Youtube. We're lucky to have gone to a school who has a rivalry that is a cornerstone of the sports. Only Army-Navy, Ohio State-Michigan, Yankees-Red Sox, and Lakers-Celtics can hold a candle to this as one of the greatest rivalries in the history of sports.

3:46 am, drunk, and OU sucks!

• Like 2

Texas defense vs. OU's offense. OU's passing game could make this game get out of hand quickly. Get some pressure on Kyler and limit the big plays. Texas can get yardage on OU's defense. They can be run on. But Murray throws a really accurate ball and OU's WRs are going to be the ultimate test for the secondary.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Texas defense vs. OU's offense. OU's passing game could make this game get out of hand quickly. Get some pressure on Kyler and limit the big plays. Texas can get yardage on OU's defense. They can be run on. But Murray throws a really accurate ball and OU's WRs are going to be the ultimate test for the secondary.

I agree....keep this game close for first half, and the confidence gained in closing out the games against USC, TCU, and KState should help TEXAS have a good shot to Win....

HOOK'EM 🤘

This. Sterns has been really solid but he can't overshadow poor play in coverage by Boyd, Locke, and Jones. We don't have anything special in terms of pass rush so the secondary has to be locked in and ready to go, otherwise OU will jump out to a 20 point lead again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

So which matchup is more important for a Longhorn victory......

1) Texas offense vs BlowU defense

2) Texas defense vs BlowU offense

(Also still really concerned by poor blocking scheme Texas is using when they punt...)

Just found this quote from IT.....

"Our punt team blocking/scheme is a frigging comedy. One blocked---two hurried. Somebody better become concerned and fix this before we lose a game to stupidity. I strongly question whether 47 and 45 are the best blocking personal protectors available---I know neither are strong decision makers in their primary roles of TE and LB. "

Key to this game is putting the fucking fear of God..and fear that future money from the A's won't be coming in...to the munchkin behind center. All else will sort itself out.

15 hours ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, Texas will likely have to disrupt OU's passing game in order to win. But OU also has a pretty rugged running game. They're a complete team on offense. Fortunately for Texas, OU's defense is not all that great. Kenneth Murray is a beast, but he's one guy. The OU secondary is ripe for the picking. 

I think it will be a classic game, and there's still nothing like OU-Texas in college football. 

One of the strangest things that ever happened in this series was when Texas received the opening kick off but punted the ball back to OU during the return pinning them deep in their own territory. This was back in the early 60's and I think it was Bill Bradley that did it.

Many people do not know that you can punt the ball at any time and any place on the field.

1 hour ago, Woodrow Call said:

But OU also has a pretty rugged running game

Their running game has taken a huge step back this year from last year, and another step back with the loss of Anderson.  It is not the beast to be feared that it was last year.

This year, OU looks way more like oSu of the past several years (with a mobile quarterback) than it does the Baker-led teams with Orlando Brown, Erick Wren, and Mark Anderson in the trenches.

12 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I keep feeling like we have shown a better ability to run the ball than the stats have backed up. Hopefully that ends next Saturday. 20 carries for Ingram!

Ingram is not 100%.

The dude looks closer to 80-90%. 

When he's fully healthy, I think he has a real shot to be something special.

Just don't know if that's going to be this week.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

HORNS have to find a way to contain and pressure Kyler.  Sure would be great to get an early interception....

IMHO, this is the key to the game. Can we make the midget uncomfortable in the pocket, without letting him break off big gains with his legs? Also, I would spy Murray with either BJ Foster or Gary Johnson. The one tidbit that is giving me peace of mind, is that last season Orlando was able to create all kinds of problems for Mayfield by confusing him with exotic blitz packages. I believe he will have to be even more creative than that, this year. If Murray runs for 80 and throws for 300, we are in a world of trouble.

This is the week where legends are born, and the stars seem to come out of nowhere. I look for Ingram to be that guy this week, carrying the ball 20+ times and racking up 150 yards on the ground.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If Herman isn’t having Texas run the ball 80% of the time against a shitty ou defense we won’t win. 

Depends on how they play. I would say OU's weakness is their secondary and they have tiny corners that probably can't cover our WRs. 

But this is why OU is likely going to be really conservative defensively and force us to nickel and dime them down the field with a run game/intermediate passing. If they play single coverage against our WRs we should absolutely go downfield.

Edited by texasstrong12

Hope BJ Foster and Ingram are completely healthy.  

Folks wondering why Ingram not getting more carries are forgetting about both hip pointer and deep knee bone bruise (painful) nagging injuries.  Also Ingram not as physically strong since he came in during June.

Wonder if Burt shows up to help provide another speed deep threat at the WR  position that CJ plays.  Wear that blowU secondary out by running deep verticals all day, and rest CJ a few plays so he's fresh in 4th qtr.

Edited by LTtxfan

On 9/30/2018 at 6:28 AM, 52-80 said:

my momma call it red river shootout; imma call it red river shootout

It's The OU Game; period, paragraph. It's not the Red River Shootout, it's not the Red River Rivalry, it's the fuckin' OU GAME. All that other shit was made up for TV by some pencil-dick intern in an ad agency when we sold out to corporate sponsorship. I'd blame selling out on that cocksucker, Patterson (Steve, not Gary; I get 'em mixed up, too) if I could, but I'm afraid we have to lay that squarely at the feet of Deloser Dodds. Oh, yes, and it stays in the Cotton Bowl. Never, ever even think of moving it to Jerryworld.

And in case you need a refresher course on OU Game rules, there's only one:

1.  OU fuckin' SUCKS!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Hasn't the recipe to beat OU over the years always been go downfield?  Which his why Mack/GDGD couldn't do shit with that dink and dunk offense?

Yes. Grind them with the run and then go over the top with deep shots.  That's the exact recipe that Herp Derp killed them with.

17 hours ago, mdmost said:

Ball control. Ball control. Ball control.  We have to have sustained drives 6-8 mins. This is how you beat that offense. Let the D rest and get some turnovers. 

• Like 1