Texas vs Oklahoma - a classic battle

SEC

2 minutes ago, Jack Wilson said:

It's The OU Game; period, paragraph. It's not the Red River Shootout, it's not the Red River Rivalry, it's the fuckin' OU GAME. All that other shit was made up for TV by some pencil-dick intern in an ad agency when we sold out to corporate sponsorship. I'd blame selling out on that cocksucker, Patterson (Steve, not Gary; I get 'em mixed up, too) if I could, but I'm afraid we have to lay that squarely at the feet of Deloser Dodds. Oh, yes, and it stays in the Cotton Bowl. Never, ever even think of moving it to Jerryworld.

And in case you need a refresher course on OU Game rules, there's only one:

1.  OU fuckin' SUCKS!

the funny part about your post is that our frat couldn't put the "Red River Rivalry" on t-shirts because it was some kind of corporate trademark or some stupid shit. 

We just put Earl Campbell on the shirts anyway.

Earl_Campbell_Texas.jpg

1 minute ago, UTEX_ME said:

Ball control. Ball control. Ball control.  We have to have sustained drives 6-8 mins. This is how you beat that offense. Let the D rest and get some turnovers. 

Yup.

Plus get a lead early. If we can pin our ears back and play with a lead I think we stomp their asses.

Here is a fucked up question, I know I'd rather win both, but if we had to lose one and win one, which would you rather?

Beat OU in Dallas but lose in the Big12 Championship game.

Lose to OU in Dallas but beat them in the Big12 Championship game.

10 minutes ago, Jack Wilson said:

It's The OU Game; period, paragraph. It's not the Red River Shootout, it's not the Red River Rivalry, it's the fuckin' OU GAME. All that other shit was made up for TV by some pencil-dick intern in an ad agency when we sold out to corporate sponsorship. I'd blame selling out on that cocksucker, Patterson (Steve, not Gary; I get 'em mixed up, too) if I could, but I'm afraid we have to lay that squarely at the feet of Deloser Dodds. Oh, yes, and it stays in the Cotton Bowl. Never, ever even think of moving it to Jerryworld.

1.  OU fuckin' SUCKS!

Jack Wilson for mayor.

It is the fucking OU game. It does not need any gimmicks or hype. Fuck OU, OU sucks, there's nothing more that needs saying.

12 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Ball control. Ball control. Ball control.  We have to have sustained drives 6-8 mins. This is how you beat that offense. Let the D rest and get some turnovers. 

Did you not see the post game press conference with Tom? It is impossible to score on 12 play 80 yard drives. This will never work. :)

Yes. Grind them with the run and then go over the top with deep shots.  That's the exact recipe that Herp Derp killed them with.

Precisely. Power inside running between the tackles is the bane of OU’s D as they recruit edge speed over inside strength. Then suck them in with a hitch-fly or a deep post. Major knew this and exploited it perfectly.

17 minutes ago, the idoit said:

Precisely. Power inside running between the tackles is the bane of OU’s D as they recruit edge speed over inside strength. Then suck them in with a hitch-fly or a deep post. Major knew this and exploited it perfectly.

We've actually had a lot of success against OU on one particular route combo in the last 5+ years.  Texas has run it under Herman in the past but hasn't put it on film (yet) this year.  There are a few other things that Texas hasn't put on film this year, either, that we definitely have in our arsenal.  I think we'll see a LOT of both on Saturday.

I know it's lame, but I'm not going to go into detail on the two concepts that immediately jump out to me, given that it appears Texas is definitely trying to keep them under wraps.  But if/when we hit them on Saturday, people are going to be yelling out, "Where the fuck has THAT been all year!?"

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

We've actually had a lot of success against OU on one particular route combo in the last 5+ years.  Texas has run it under Herman in the past but hasn't put it on film (yet) this year.  There are a few other things that Texas hasn't put on film this year, either, that we definitely have in our arsenal.  I think we'll see a LOT of both on Saturday.

I know it's lame, but I'm not going to go into detail on the two concepts that immediately jump out to me, given that it appears Texas is definitely trying to keep them under wraps.  But if/when we hit them on Saturday, people are going to be yelling out, "Where the fuck has THAT been all year!?"

Anything Texas ran vs "land thieves" in 2017 blowU Game will be reviewed by current blowU staff..... they probably also rewatch the film when Herman's UH team defeated sooners a few years ago too...

Heard Dan Neil on the radio this morning compare the "OU Game" to other regular season CFB games as "the difference between regular season NFL games and the Playoffs".  Agree with this.  The speed, hitting and intensity of this game along with the 50/50 supporting crowd at the "State Fair of Texas" make this one of the greatest college rivalries EVER.....

Herman will show up for the big games as he always does, he has had OUs number since that ass whooping he gave Stoops while at Houston.  LJ will run some wildcat, Orlando will have Kyler's head spinning and we will beat those dirt dobbing, redneck, Toby Keith loving Sooners into oblivion.  Afterwards, they will drive their houses back to Oklahoma in shame.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Anything Texas ran vs "land thieves" in 2017 blowU Game will be reviewed by current blowU staff..... they probably also rewatch the film when Herman's UH team defeated sooners a few years ago too...

I'm not talking about a play we ran against them last year.

Edited by Katfid54

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

Yup.

Plus get a lead early. If we can pin our ears back and play with a lead I think we stomp their asses.

Here is a fucked up question, I know I'd rather win both, but if we had to lose one and win one, which would you rather?

Well I would rather beat them in the Big 12 Championship game if I have to choose. But fuck choosing.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Don't recall how Orlando 's Defense slowed down BlowU offense in both 2016 ( UH) or in 2017 (Texas)....... any thoughts on what Orlando's strategy against Lincoln Riley's offense might be this Saturday??

#1) Stop the run.

#2) Stop the run.

#3) Stop the run.

#4) Now that the run is stopped, get pressure without bringing so many numbers that it exposes the D to big pass plays.  Cover routes downfield and force QBs to throw into tight windows or scramble.

#5) When QBs scramble, tackle them before they create explosive plays. (This is my biggest concern on Saturday.)

Same game plan we used against TCU.

1 hour ago, UTEX_ME said:

Very much this, but with the addition of the need to score TD's at the ends of said 6-8 minute drives. If you leave points on the field OU will find a way to exploit. If we have a stat line like we did against K-State it's going to be a long, shitty game. 

2 hours ago, Zavala said:

Yup.

How is this a question? Obviously beating them for the B12CG is a bigger deal. 

Would you rather beat them in Dallas or beat them in the national title game? 

1 hour ago, FloridaHorn said:

Did you not see the post game press conference with Tom? It is impossible to score on 12 play 80 yard drives. This will never work. :)

He meant no one is good enough to do that for an entire game and he's right. 

2 hours ago, Zavala said:

Yup.

Beat them twice please.

But given the choice, I'd take the latter for sure.

I have anxiety about winning this week but seeing them lift the Big 12 title again (a la: 2006, 2008, 2015).

32 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wonder how fresh the bodies of TEXAS players are..... 

Given the physical gauntlet of consecutive games against USC, TCU, KState...realistically how much juice does Texas have left for BlowU??

Last year, in the three games leading up to OU weekend, we had a double OT loss on the road against a better USC team, a grind-it-out road victory in regulation against ISU (perhaps comparable to this year's TCU squad), and a double OT game at home against a better KSU team than we faced this year.

This year, we had a home victory against a mediocre USC team in which the game was essentially in hand by the fourth quarter, a wire-to-wire home victory in regulation against TCU, and a grind-it-out road victory against a subpar KSU team.

In addition, our roster this season is more experienced, healthier, and has been in Yancy's S&C program for an additional year. There should be no excuses based on having enough energy.

UofH held them to 23 points and under 400 yards of offense in 2016.  That is definitely slowing them down, I bet they averaged around 40 points a game that year.  Like Katfid said...stop the run, make them one dimensional then inflict a world of pain on Murray 

5 hours ago, Zavala said:

the funny part about your post is that our frat couldn't put the "Red River Rivalry" on t-shirts because it was some kind of corporate trademark or some stupid shit. 

We just put Earl Campbell on the shirts anyway.

Earl_Campbell_Texas.jpg

You could not possibly have done better.

On offense I think we need to fine tune what we tried to do against K State.  7/8 drives were 10+ plays and 4+ minutes, only one 3 and out.  Army nearly won by keeping OU's offense off the field.  Run Ingram early and often, get the middle opened up and let CJ and LJH work OU's weakest unit.

OU has not played anyone good.  Baylor and Army look like .500 teams to me and those are their best two opponents.  Hopefully we can leverage this for some early gains by just being physical.  Murray is deadly when he has time.  We need to hit him, early and often.  I am hoping Foster can go because if I am Orlando I have him spy/blitz Murray on passing downs.  Foster is going to be a punishing NFL player.  I don't see how a tiny Murray could stand up to repeated Fosterings.  GJ is a great option here as well but I feel like Foster is the best choice for Ewok hunting detail.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Wonder how fresh the bodies of TEXAS players are..... 

Given the physical gauntlet of consecutive games against USC, TCU, KState...realistically how much juice does Texas have left for BlowU??

Texas will get better at the season goes on because I imagine we are one of the better conditioned programs in the country. To add to that we have a lot of young pups. Yancy doesn't fuck around.  

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Last year, in the three games leading up to OU weekend, we had a double OT loss on the road against a better USC team, a grind-it-out road victory in regulation against ISU (perhaps comparable to this year's TCU squad), and a double OT game at home against a better KSU team than we faced this year.

This year, we had a home victory against a mediocre USC team in which the game was essentially in hand by the fourth quarter, a wire-to-wire home victory in regulation against TCU, and a grind-it-out road victory against a subpar KSU team.

In addition, our roster this season is more experienced, healthier, and has been in Yancy's S&C program for an additional year. There should be no excuses based on having enough energy.

Like your optimism......

But not a fair comparison with bye week in 2017 Season between USC and Iowa State Thursday game....

Edited by LTtxfan

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Like your optimism......

But not a fair comparison with bye week in 2017 Season between USC and Iowa State Thursday game....

2017 Texas Longhorns Football Schedule

Sept. 9: San Jose State

Sept. 16: at USC

Sept. 23: OPEN DATE

Sept. 30: at Iowa State

Oct. 7: Kansas State

Oct. 14: Oklahoma (in Dallas)

Oct. 21: Oklahoma State

Oct. 28: at Baylor

Nov. 4: at TCU

Nov. 11: Kansas

Nov. 18: at West Virginia

Nov. 25: Texas Tech

Still interested to watch how fresh Texas is on Saturday..... BlowU may have an advantage after blowing out Baylor....

Edited by LTtxfan

41 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Like your optimism......

You're right, the bye week slipped my mind.

Still, we played a double OT game the week before OU last year. This year's game was a grind, but not compared to 2017.

You of course are talking about the quick kick.

Like all RRS, lesser-knowns will alter the outcome. For my money, Duverney has a huge game and TD on a double move (and Sam makes the throw this year). And I think Brandon Jones creates a Murray TO in the backfield on a blitz. 
What the fuck are you talking about, aggy.

Rrs? What the fuck is that?

A disease you mom has? Rectal rot slime?
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You're right, the bye week slipped my mind.

Still, we played a double OT game the week before OU last year. This year's game was a grind, but not compared to 2017.

Got to believe Herman tries to save the players legs this week.  I'm expecting a fierce, physical game on Saturday.

Last year's game was brutal in the 2nd Half...... TEXAS Defense was especially physical during the 4th quarter.....

7 hours ago, Jack Wilson said:

1.  OU fuckin' SUCKS!

My first OU game was in '93.  I called it the OU game then and that has never changed.

7 hours ago, Zavala said:

Yup.

It would be pretty crazy to see the 2 iconic brands facing off a week after Thanksgiving, for the conference championship & (possible) birth in the CFP..!

My first OU game was in '93.  I called it the OU game then and that has never changed.

This!! To us its the OU game. For TV purposes it should be the Red River Shootout! Not rivalry! Not showdown! Not classic!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kopp0e said:

It would be pretty crazy to see the 2 iconic brands facing off a week after Thanksgiving, for the conference championship & (possible) birth in the CFP..!

One iconic brand, one trailer park shithole. but yeah.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Annexation of Puerto Rico.  

We have a unique combination of weak pass rush and poor coverage skills. Hager and Omenihu disappear for large stretches, and Boyd, Locke, and B Jones are regularly burned on deep passes.

Man I never realized it until I read your well thought out post. Our defense really sucks and since they are better than the offense then our entire team sucks ass. Why even bother watching?