2018-19 PGA Tour

Wally Fairway

To give and idea about how significant giving JT a -10 starting point for the Tour Championship, here are the winning scores the past years (and top 10 score)

2018 - Tiger Woods at -11 (4 T7 -5)
2017 - Xander Schauffele at -12 (3 T10 -6)
2016 - Rory at -12 (5 T10 -2)
2015 - Jordan Spieth at -9 (2 T10  -2)
2014 - Billy Ho at -11 (3 T9 -4)
2013 - Henrik at -13 (3 T9 -5)
2012 - Snedeker at  -10 (5 T10 -1)
2011 - Bill Haas at -8 (10 -4)
2010 - Furyk at -8 (4 T9 -1)
2009 - Phil at -9 (3 T10 Even)

Am I reading this correctly? $15m for first for one tournament?

I’m an oldie...but damn that’s a nice pop for a weekends work.

Actually dropped in here to post this as I am a Tiger fan...there is a cool video of his fist bump with this reporter too in the link.

"Yeah, you're out in the parking lot. That was my job," Maltbie told reporters at East Lake earlier this week ahead of the Tour Championship. "Jack wouldn't do them. Watson wouldn't do them. Tiger's not going to do it. Tommy, he's not going to do it. Ask him anyway. So I asked him one time, I said, 'Hey, Tiger, I hate to bother you, but they pay me a lot of money. They asked me to do this. They paid me a lot of money. I don't mean to be a pain.' He looked at me and said, 'they pay me a lot more to not do it.' Bingo! I said, 'you're right.'"

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/rorger-maltbie-shares-hilarious-story-of-tiger-woods-turning-him-down-for-a-parking-lot-interview

Edited by Tailgate

5 minutes ago, housious said:

We must have different definitions of exciting

It's the best 30 players on tour playing for 8 digits, 3 are tied for first, 6 are within 2 shots, 10 are within 4 shots. 

At the start of the day only 2 players were within 2 of the lead, and only 4 were within 4 shots. 

What else did you want from Thursday?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

It's the best 30 players on tour playing for 8 digits, 3 are tied for first, 6 are within 2 shots, 10 are within 4 shots. 

At the start of the day only 2 players were within 2 of the lead, and only 4 were within 4 shots. 

They want to keep yelling at clouds and complain about how since the tournament score isn’t directly reflective of the players actual score to par that the whole thing is pointless and sucks shit through and completely ignore great golf being played by the best players in the world for huge piles of cash. 

I want a double elimination match play event for the last few weeks. If you want a playoff-like atmosphere then make a playoff. 

Thats just of we’re being honest. It’s still pointless to have 30 guys out there. I didn’t see one stroke from about half the field on tv yesterday. 

3 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I want a double elimination match play event for the last few weeks. If you want a playoff-like atmosphere then make a playoff. 

Thats just of we’re being honest. It’s still pointless to have 30 guys out there. I didn’t see one stroke from about half the field on tv yesterday. 

Double elim match play would be fun, and wouldn't bastardize a PGA title as much as they are with the uneven stroke distribution. 

Having 30 out there is maybe pointless to the overall title - but even the guys from 25-30 are still playing for fat wads of cash. 

I like that they are moving the tee times after every round. Puts more pressure on the leaders going into Friday. 

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Double elim match play would be fun, and wouldn't bastardize a PGA title as much as they are with the uneven stroke distribution. 

Having 30 out there is maybe pointless to the overall title - but even the guys from 25-30 are still playing for fat wads of cash. 

I like that they are moving the tee times after every round. Puts more pressure on the leaders going into Friday. 

Playing for wads of cash was what the skins game was all about; this is just letting more player get into it and playing for 10x the cash (after inflation)

2 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Playing for wads of cash was what the skins game was all about; this is just letting more player get into it and playing for 10x the cash (after inflation)

pretty much. if anyone is having trouble watching or getting excited, just remind yourself that every putt a player makes is worth at least $50k. 

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

first round of the PGA?

16 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

He's good at golf. 

I don't think the strokes-gained metric is quite accurate however - Furyk went 2.508 in 2006. Rory is at 2.495 right now. Maybe this event would catapult him over?

Edited by ztejas

2 hours ago, housious said:

I’m still salty about the the handicapped start. Awful.

Also, East Lake must be a hell of a hard golf course.

Yeah it really kept.... no one from winning. 

If you don't fuck with a final round Rory/Brooks duel then I don't know what to tell you. 2 best players in the world by a nice margin. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, housious said:

I’m still salty about the the handicapped start. Awful.

Also, East Lake must be a hell of a hard golf course.

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah it really kept.... no one from winning. 

If you don't fuck with a final round Rory/Brooks duel then I don't know what to tell you. 2 best players in the world by a nice margin. 

So I glanced at how the tournament results would have changed without the handicap - and there was 1 player who would have been in the top 10 had it not been for the handicaps, and that person is BDC. He would have finished T7, instead of T12; other than that the other players in the top 10 would have still been in the top 10, except for Patty Reed who got a T9 instead of a T15.
Sure some $$$'s were shuffled around (amongst millionaires), JT got the biggest boost in cash payout and Casey and Reavie took the hit - but maybe not really because the bonus money would still have been distributed based on points not tournament results. And I haven't seen how the Fed Ex standings would have been had they used last years points system.

It was great to watch, Rory put on a show (with some help from that drainage opening that kept him out of the water) while those around him struggled.
Now a few weeks until the slow start to the 2019/2020 season, and a Presidents Cup in December which should be a snooze fest as it doesn't seem connected to the season at all.

Here is to hoping Jordan finds his game, or some magic, in the 2020 majors.

2020 Schedule 

The Players: March 12 - March 15

The Masters: April 9 - April 13

PGA (TPC Harding Park): May 14 - May 17

US Open (Winged Foot): June 18 - June 21

The Open (Royal St. George's): July 16 - July 19

Olympics (Kasumigaseki): July 3 - August 2

Ryder Cup (Whistling Straits): September 25 - September 27

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, alincoln said:

2020 Schedule 

That looks like a great post to start the 2019/2020 PGA tour thread
FWIW - the men's golf competition at the Olympics is 7/30-8/2 (women compete the following week)

And here is the standings, so you can try and figure who might play at Kasumigaseki
https://www.igfgolf.org/olympic-games/tokyo-2020/tokyo-2020-qualification-system/tokyo-2020-olympic-golf-rankings/

Edited by Wally Fairway

4 hours ago, alincoln said:

2020 Schedule 

Hmmm...PGA finishes on my 40th.  Seems like a good excuse for a trip to SF and Napa.

• 2 weeks later...