2018-19 PGA Tour

Wally Fairway

42 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If there is one golfer in need of some time off, it's Phil.

Isn't that the truth.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the younger guys from the web finals get some run. Always interesting to see who's able to take advantage while the big guns take some time off - Aaron Wise, Beau Hosseler last year, for example. Schauffle. Others. I'm a golf junkie, I'll be watching.

I can't get into the fall tournaments.  Are they really trying to make the big name guys play in these?  I saw something a few weeks ago about Jordan not playing enough.  It is a very healthy thing to have some downtime in any sport.  Jordan needs to sort some shit out.  Don't Tiger and Phil have lifetime exemptions?  And Jordan is exempt for 5 years from last years British?  Correct?

There's a "strength of field" rule that got put in maybe 5, 6 years ago. I don't remember the exact details (and too lazy to google right now), but basically the exempt players still have to play a given tournament like, once every four years. Otherwise, the big name players would do exactly what you suggest here, and never show up until Feb 1st, and even during the season places like the John Deere would get largely ignored. The rule boils down to the idea that a strong tour is good for everyone, but for the strength of the tour the names have to show up or a quarter of the tournament sites can't make any money.

14 hours ago, Dewey said:

I liked him, he got tiring at times during every tournament they covered, but he was good. Not.looking forward to Zinger.

Yeah, I actually did enjoy Miller. He is getting a bit slower during telecasts recently so he’s probably retiring at the right time. 

Azinger is probably a step backwards.

On 10/15/2018 at 7:46 PM, housious said:

At least we won’t have to hear about his 63 at Oakmont anymore.

Saw this pop up and thought he was dead, felt bad because I’m tired of hearing about the 63 and rejoyced a little because fuckin’ A Johnny give it a rest, and the grain too. He’ll mention the 63 every chance he gets.  

csb/ shot a 93 at Doral on Monday, Blue Monster. Had my taint handed to me.  

DeChambeau plans to leave flagstick in for putts in 2019

Leave it to Bryson DeChambeau to find a creative way to capitalize on the upcoming changes to the USGA rule book.

The governing body has a number of significant changes planned for 2019, including the elimination of any penalty for hitting the flagstick when putting from on the green. While such an action is currently a two-shot penalty under Rule 17-3, starting next year players will have the choice to leave the pin in for putts of any distance.

DeChambeau, who has previously defied convention with tactics like side-saddled putting and using a compass to double check pin positions, indicated on a recent Golf Channel podcast that he plans to leave the flag in for putts starting next year, and he amplified that stance in a recent Golf.com report.

"It depends on the COR, the coefficient of restitution of the flagstick," DeChambeau said. "In U.S. Opens, I'll take it out, and every other Tour event, when it's fiberglass, I'll leave it in and bounce that ball against the flagstick if I need to."

According to DeChambeau, the thicker, metal pins at a U.S. Open will force him to adjust his strategy, but typical fiberglass pins will offer "a higher propensity for it to go in the hole" when struck by a ball.

Up to No. 6 in the latest world rankings, DeChambeau is the highest-ranked player in the field this week at the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open. Still putting with the pins out, he opened with a 5-under 66 in Las Vegas and sits three shot off the early lead set by Peter Uihlein.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Patrick Reed= fuckhead.

i think he loves being hated. Weird dude.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/kevin-kisners-fiery-patrick-reed-take-college-teammates-all-hate-him?utm-tags=golf1304000

It's no secret that Patrick Reed isn't the most popular golfer on the PGA Tour. A recent quote attributed to Kevin Kisner by Golf Digest about Reed's college tenures at Georgia and Augusta State further pushes that narrative.

"They all hate him — any guys that were on the team with him (at Georgia) hate him and that’s the same way at Augusta," Kisner said. "I don’t know that they’d piss on him if he was on fire, to tell you the truth."

Kisner’s comments are somewhat surprising, considering he’s said multiple times in the past, including at this year’s Open Championship, that he prefers to not talk about other players to the press. Reed's peers have been mostly reserved when asked to elaborate on their feelings about the 2018 Masters champion, and exceptions have typically been done anonymously.

There was the Shane Ryan book, "Slaying the Tiger: A Year Inside the Ropes on the New PGA Tour," in 2016, which brought to light anonymous cheating and stealing accusations from Reed's Georgia teammates. (Reed, who denied those allegations, was kicked off the team in 2009 before going on to win back-to-back NCAA titles at Augusta State, in 2010 and '11.)

Then there was this quote, told to the New York Times by an unnamed U.S. golfer following the Reed-fueled Ryder Cup drama in Paris: "He has no clue how to play team golf. I saw firsthand how bad of a team player he was. Eleven players understood the concept of team golf and only one didn’t. Unfortunately, that one proved to be too costly for the team to overcome."

Reed has avoided tough questions about his past, as well, often saying that he doesn't care what others think of him. It will be interesting, though, to hear how he responds to Kisner’s quote.

4 hours ago, llanoflash said:

Then there was this quote, told to the New York Times by an unnamed U.S. golfer following the Reed-fueled Ryder Cup drama in Paris: "He has no clue how to play team golf. I saw firsthand how bad of a team player he was. Eleven players understood the concept of team golf and only one didn’t. Unfortunately, that one proved to be too costly for the team to overcome."

I would love to know who is responsible for this pathetic quote.

• 4 weeks later...

Good finish coming on GC. Xander and Woodland tied on 18th. Schauffele with a putt for 61. 

Missed the putt. Woodland needs to get up and down for tie. 

Woodland misses. Schauffele wins again with final round 62 (ties course record).

Edited by 4th&Five

I would rather listen to a hundred Millers than one Chamblee.   The guy is basically saying that Woodland choked and gave away the tournament today.  Never mind that it took someone holing out twice for eagles and tying the course record to beat him by one shot.  99 times out of a hundred if Woodland plays like he did in the final round he is walking away with an easy win.  Miller had the golfing equivalent of street cred.   He won two majors, over twenty PGA tournaments, and if world golf rankings had existed in 1974 he would have spent the entire year ranked #1 in the world.  You can be Captain Hardass on the players with that resume.  What the fuck did Chamblee ever do on the PGA tour?  I'd be willing to bet he never cracked the top fifty in the world.  Chamblee in his prime would get his ass handed to him by practically every tour player he hypercriticizes.