2018-19 PGA Tour

Wally Fairway

On 12/5/2018 at 6:51 AM, hacker said:

PGA Frisco will host 2027 and 2034 PGA Championships and 2040 Ryder Cup.  😳

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Like 1

okay - the most boring week of the tour schedule is now over (I just can't get excited about the team events)

With the PGA Championship starting in 18 days, that means that the PGA Professional Championship is being played. Winning it is great, but the real prize is finishing top 20, and getting an invite to the PGA at BPB in a few weeks. This is scheduled to end Wednesday, May 1

https://www.pga.com/events/pgaprochamp/leaderboard

12 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

okay - the most boring week of the tour schedule is now over (I just can't get excited about the team events)

With the PGA Championship starting in 18 days, that means that the PGA Professional Championship is being played. Winning it is great, but the real prize is finishing top 20, and getting an invite to the PGA at BPB in a few weeks. This is scheduled to end Wednesday, May 1

Great story at 2018 PGA Championship where a Georgetown Tx Pro did well.   Love the Ben Kern story at last year's PGA.....

https://golfweek.com/2018/08/12/ben-kern-drives-straight-to-top-of-club-pros-at-pga-championship/

52 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Seriously. Zurich is just trash. I’m a golf junkie and turned it off after watching for 15 minutes yesterday.

• Like 1

I feel bad for New Orleans that that's what the tour rolls out for their stop. I was interested in watching, but on Friday I looked at the leaderboard and saw team play and thought, never mind. Team play works for the Ryder Cup and President Cup, after that leave it alone.

On 4/29/2019 at 7:18 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Live.... Fight for 20 spots.... On Golf Channel right now.....

giphy.gif

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Live.... Fight for 20 spots.... On Golf Channel right now.....

giphy.gif

If the leaderboard is up to date, then it looks they will have a 6:2 playoff.
I love these playoffs - here, the US Am, US Open qualifiers, really anywhere  - they are great fun to watch.

14 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

If the leaderboard is up to date, then it looks they will have a 6:2 playoff.
I love these playoffs - here, the US Am, US Open qualifiers, really anywhere  - they are great fun to watch.

Correct.... starting now on Golf Channel 

giphy.gif

Does anyone go to this at the new location other than golf fans?  I was out of town last year so didn't pay attention.  This year I completely forgot it was taking place until it was mentioned on the Ticket this AM.  Have heard no buzz at the old location feel like there were lots of tickets floating around/corporate events, etc. or a least plenty of people talking about going on a social basis.   Have heard none of that this year.  Just wondering if new location (and from what I understand it being a massive pain in the ass to get to/park) is hurting the tournament.

56 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Has anyone seen enough of Romo to know his strengths and weaknesses on the course? I’d assume he’s a short but accurate driver, excellent iron gamer and weak putter. Close?

he looks like he's good around the green.  pitched in for eagle on #7.  2 under.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:58 AM, Skipper said:

Does anyone go to this at the new location other than golf fans?  I was out of town last year so didn't pay attention.  This year I completely forgot it was taking place until it was mentioned on the Ticket this AM.  Have heard no buzz at the old location feel like there were lots of tickets floating around/corporate events, etc. or a least plenty of people talking about going on a social basis.   Have heard none of that this year.  Just wondering if new location (and from what I understand it being a massive pain in the ass to get to/park) is hurting the tournament.

Interesting question...

I've been for the past 5 years (always on Thursdays) and in my opinion, yes, the new course is really tailored more towards the golf fan and less towards the socialite.

• Location:  At the previous spot the course was surrounded by million dollar mansions and was located on the Four Seasons property.  If you walked most of the back nine, each hole is lined with these mansions that get rented out to corporations and used for parties, etc.  And a few holes on the front nine were played around the Four Seasons hotel, so many of the rooms and patios were being used as hosting events.  The new location is the polar opposite...the neighborhood is rough, surrounded by trailer parks and low income housing, etc.  The new course was also built on a landfill, so when it got nice and hot last year is smelled awful.
  • Parking:  Previously you could park close and walk to the gates.  Now, parking is at the State Fair and it's a 20 minute bus ride without traffic.

I also think that this year's player field is the worst they've had in some time.  I can understand Thursday being down in attendance (the entire course was a ghost town) because of the weather and rain we had on Wednesday, but a lack of star power doesn't help either.  If it weren't for Tony Romo, that place would have been deserted.  He had by FAR the biggest crowd following him...about twice as large as Jordan Speith.  And speaking of weather, the new course is all dirt paths and such for spectators (as opposed to paved at the previous) so Thursday was just a muddy mess.

I think long term the tournament either moves back to Las Colinas, or up to Frisco when the new PGA Headquarters opens.  While Crenshaw and crew did a nice job creating the course, it's an awful location and not accommodating at all.  I know that Corporate Sponsorships and donations were WAY down this year, and that combined with the less than stellar playing field will make the Byron Nelson people have to re-evaluate things sooner rather than later.  Hell, look at The Colonial player field vs. the Byron Nelson's...not even close.

What I figured.  I mean going into the weekend I still did not hear a single mention about tournament from friends or clients.  Weather has something to do with it I'm sure as does probably the worst field we've seen as you mentioned.  If it were nice today I might have tried to see if others interested but no desire to go out in this.  Tomorrow is supposed to be nice but Mother's Day so that's a non-starter.  The more surprising thing is I didn't hear of a single corporate event.   At the old location, if we didn't sponsor something, I always knew of various corporate parties in the club sections around 17th or 18th hole.  Those tix were a pretty hot commodity (and a lot of fun).  I haven't heard of a single thing this year.   They have to be struggling to sell those packages.  Agreed I don't see any way it stays out there once this contract is up.  Just a dumb idea to begin with.

Out on the course right now. Trinity River is starting to flood the lower cart paths and one of the bridges for spectators is underwater. Most of the paths through the trees from the VIP parking lot to the course are underwater. Salesmanship club guys are saying that the river will flood across the main road between the course and driving range soon and that no one should park in any of the VIP lots.

Really awful conditions out here. Very muddy for gallery areas.

I went yesterday and the weather was perfect but that’s the best thing I can say about the tournament. Dull environment and the course is in the middle of nowhere. It was so much more fun in Las Colinas (near that new McDonald’s). 

Edited by Firemans4Horn

4 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I went yesterday and the weather was perfect but that’s the best thing I can say about the tournament. Dull environment and the course is in the middle of nowhere. It was so much more fun in Las Colinas (near that new McDonald’s). 

Interesting

On 5/11/2019 at 5:14 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

Why was it moved from Las Colinas??

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Just one bad hole for Jordan today.  One off the lead.  Maybe he really is close.

He sank some 25+ ft putts yesterday like he used to do during his incredible run.

If he can maintain consistency on the greens it will just come down to staying out of trouble with the driver. His iron/wedge game has never faltered.

1 minute ago, Auto Driller said:

He sank some 25+ ft putts yesterday like he used to do during his incredible run.

If he can maintain consistency on the greens it will just come down to staying out of trouble with the driver. His iron/wedge game has never faltered.

Actually, his iron approach shots let him down some on Saturday at the PGA Championship.  Agree that his Driver needs to improve, keep tightening up the irons and hybrid he likes to hit.  Really encouraging seeing Jordan's putter getting hot again!! 🤘

LIVE:  Colonial on Golf Channel right now. 

From the fairway, Jordan just pulled his approach with a shorter iron again on #9 and missed green short and left... ends up with bogey as his 7ft par putt barely misses.

3 bogeys and 1 Birdie.... +2 on front 9

11th place, Spieth currently -3 and 6 shots back

Edited by LTtxfan

After hitting iron off the tee, Spieth from fairway on #10, 154yds out  and overclubs his shot maybe 30 feet past the pin but center of the green.... still trying to dial-in his iron approach shots.

BIRDIE..... makes the bomb putt 💥💥💥

-4 after 10 holes today (+1 on today's Rd)

Par 5 #11

Spieth 3rd shot from rough with short iron leaves shot short of the green.... that's three mishit approach shots in a row.

Nice 4th shot chip within 18 inches of the hole.

PAR..... Currently -4 and 10th place (5 back)

Edited by LTtxfan

#12 tough driving hole..... Jordan hits Driver in fairway.  Has 148yds, leaves it wide right but on the green... 40+ feet from pin.

Average approach shot, but proper side to miss...

BIRDIE..... Another BOMB 💥💥💥

-5 for Jordan.  (even on today's Rd)

Edited by LTtxfan