2018-19 PGA Tour

Wally Fairway

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. — Alex Cejka became the first PGA Tour player to be disqualified under the new Rules of Golf limiting green-reading books.

Cejka, who was using a previous year’s version of the green-reading book for PGA National, was informed of a possible infraction on the the 13th hole and one hole later was disqualified during the opening round of the Honda Classic on Thursday.

“It was brought to the committee’s attention that Alex might possibly be using some old greens reading materials,” said PGA Tour rules official Robby Ware, who informed Cejka of the DQ. “Alex was basically using an old yardage book and old greens reading materials that did not fit the size to scale limit.

“He knew he was using an old book. He told me that. I don’t know that he was completely understanding of what the scale limits are.”

Under Rule 4.3 (use of equipment), books are limited in scale for green diagrams to where a grid can be no more precise than 3/8-inch equaling 5 yards of the green. It also restricts the size of the book that contains any green information to the current pocket-sized form of most yardage books (approximately 4 1/4 inches by 7 inches).

The matter was brought to officials’ attention when playing partner Cameron Tringale noticed that Cejka was using an old book as he walked past him as Cejka lined up a putt on the 10th green and was studying the material in the book.

“I saw it and told my caddie,” Tringale said. “I mentioned it to [Cejka] but was unfamiliar how exactly to proceed. I told the first official I saw what I had seen.”

Shelton approached Cejka on the 13th hole, studied the material and made the ruling.

Ironically, PGA National’s greens had been re-done from a year ago.

“I was perplexed,” Tringale said of noticing the book. “That doesn't look right. Did I really see that?

“When we finished the 14th hole, I went to use the bathroom and when I came out I saw [Cejka] riding off in a cart.”

On 3/1/2019 at 9:21 AM, bigup2dahorns said:

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. — Alex Cejka became the first PGA Tour player to be disqualified under the new Rules of Golf limiting green-reading books.

Cejka, who was using a previous year’s version of the green-reading book for PGA National, was informed of a possible infraction on the the 13th hole and one hole later was disqualified during the opening round of the Honda Classic on Thursday.

“It was brought to the committee’s attention that Alex might possibly be using some old greens reading materials,” said PGA Tour rules official Robby Ware, who informed Cejka of the DQ. “Alex was basically using an old yardage book and old greens reading materials that did not fit the size to scale limit.

“He knew he was using an old book. He told me that. I don’t know that he was completely understanding of what the scale limits are.”

Under Rule 4.3 (use of equipment), books are limited in scale for green diagrams to where a grid can be no more precise than 3/8-inch equaling 5 yards of the green. It also restricts the size of the book that contains any green information to the current pocket-sized form of most yardage books (approximately 4 1/4 inches by 7 inches).

The matter was brought to officials’ attention when playing partner Cameron Tringale noticed that Cejka was using an old book as he walked past him as Cejka lined up a putt on the 10th green and was studying the material in the book.

“I saw it and told my caddie,” Tringale said. “I mentioned it to [Cejka] but was unfamiliar how exactly to proceed. I told the first official I saw what I had seen.”

Shelton approached Cejka on the 13th hole, studied the material and made the ruling.

Ironically, PGA National’s greens had been re-done from a year ago.

“I was perplexed,” Tringale said of noticing the book. “That doesn't look right. Did I really see that?

“When we finished the 14th hole, I went to use the bathroom and when I came out I saw [Cejka] riding off in a cart.”

so he got another player suspended then hid in the port-a-john when they ran him off?

Tiger: Unfortunately due to a neck strain that I’ve had for a few weeks, I’m forced to withdraw from the API. I’ve been receiving treatment, but it hasn’t improved enough to play. My lower back is fine, and I have no long-term concerns, and I hope to be ready for The Players.

Whacky PR battle between the USGA and the pros (and tour). Getting a lot of air time lately on the golf channel. The hot word being used is bifurcation. Will they go fully into two sets of rules, one for touring pros and one for everyone else. This new rule about the caddies “lining up” the players seemed to be aimed at the LPGA and now has the PGA tour guys pissed off.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:48 PM, bigup2dahorns said:

Whacky PR battle between the USGA and the pros (and tour). Getting a lot of air time lately on the golf channel. The hot word being used is bifurcation. Will they go fully into two sets of rules, one for touring pros and one for everyone else. This new rule about the caddies “lining up” the players seemed to be aimed at the LPGA and now has the PGA tour guys pissed off.

This one seems to me to be the easiest of all of them to fix. "If the caddie is standing behind the player during any part of a players pre-shot routine, add two shots." Fuck it's not hard. You can both stand behind the ball and talk about line, target/aim points, wind, whatthefuckever. But if you're behind them while golf is being played, penalty. Clarify in decisions or in an addendum that intent is what matters here- don't want players doing stupid shit like grabbing a new club, then going back to the old club just to "reset" the penalty clock. The goal here is that the golfer should golf. So when the act of golfing a ball is starting, only one person should be participating.

Admittedly, that means that ALL of the penalties called so far would still be penalties, but at least the rule is clear.

Edited by capnamerca

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

That's kind of funny and all, but I'd be pissed, too.  That's messing with a man's head before a difficult shot. 

edit: I'd still demand that gift card for the poppers.

Here's those poppers you ordered.....

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

Players Championship Odds (Courtesy ofVegasInsider.com)

Dustin Johnson +1200
Rory McIlroy +1200
Justin Rose +1400
Justin Thomas +1400
Tiger Woods +1400
Rickie Fowler +1600
Brooks Koepka +1800
Bryson DeChambeau +1800
Jason Day +2200
Jon Rahm +2200
Jordan Spieth +2500
Sergio Garcia +2500
Tommy Fleetwood +2500
Xander Schauffele +2500
Patrick Cantlay +2800
Adam Scott +3300
Francesco Molinari +3300
Tony Finau +3300
Webb Simpson +3300
Hideki Matsuyama +4000
Marc Leishman +4000
Matt Kuchar +4000
Patrick Reed +4000
Paul Casey +4000
Phil Mickelson +4000

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2824941-players-championship-2019-favorites-sleepers-and-tournament-preview

Jordan, Rickie, Brooks - 1:59/9:04
Tiger, Webb, Patty Reed - 1:27/8:32

Many other interesting pairings - would be fun to go see this event, and with the change to March the word is that more wind will make it more challenging.
I used to love watching the webcast of this on Thur/Fri - 17, of course, and some other random groups, alas I'm not a PGA Live subscriber so they've lost me.

Jordan, Rickie, Brooks - 1:59/9:04
Tiger, Webb, Patty Reed - 1:27/8:32
Many other interesting pairings - would be fun to go see this event, and with the change to March the word is that more wind will make it more challenging.
I used to love watching the webcast of this on Thur/Fri - 17, of course, and some other random groups, alas I'm not a PGA Live subscriber so they've lost me.

Our office is going to go watch Tiger warm up Friday morning, go back to work a few hours and then go watch the afternoon groups.

Weather looks phenomenal Thurs/Fri but then cooler and overcast for the weekend. Probably a few small pop up showers that hit us in the afternoons. Winds look pretty normal for here, 10-15mph, so they may have caught a break.

15 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Good luck predicting how that all shakes out. Nobody seems to know what the hell will happen with Brexit. But that Open venue should be badass.

im excited.  going saturday and sunday.  riding the train back to belfast each day should be a trip.

5 hours ago, Lurch said:

Our office is going to go watch Tiger warm up Friday morning, go back to work a few hours and then go watch the afternoon groups.

Weather looks phenomenal Thurs/Fri but then cooler and overcast for the weekend. Probably a few small pop up showers that hit us in the afternoons. Winds look pretty normal for here, 10-15mph, so they may have caught a break.

Are you hiring?