On Devin Nunes, the dingleberry on the asshole that is Donald Trump

Gil Bang

Article is such a good read and it’s implications reach far beyond Iowa dairy farming. Millions of republicans line up every other year to vote against their self-interests because republicans speak their language. You see the same thing with ted Cruz in Texas. He has nothing to run on so he talks about kneeling during the anthem. These fools eat it up.

Yeah the question I kept asking myself is how do people go vote for things that are so blatantly against their self interest and the self interest of their communities?  And how do they do it with such a big smile on their face?  What does some other party need to do to snap them out of it?  

5 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Yeah the question I kept asking myself is how do people go vote for things that are so blatantly against their self interest and the self interest of their communities?  And how do they do it with such a big smile on their face?  What does some other party need to do to snap them out of it?  

As someone that lives in this environment, it’s almost like a patriarchy movement/culture.  People that live in rural/red state communities have their own social/business/religious power networks.  

The leaders of these networks are dominated by wealthy older white men with the Fox News worldview.  If you want to get ahead in these networks, you say and do things pleasing to them that conforms to their perceptions.  If you want to hurt your chances at greater social/business mobility, start praising Kapernick and criticizing Trump.  

These networks are so communal and tight knit that speaking out in opposition is almost like self ostracism and there aren’t many alternative social/business networks like you would find in big cities.  

The consequences of this phenomenon is hardened republican strongholds when it comes to voting because people have no exposure to alternative ideas and points of view.  

In other words, it’s a cult.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Because Jesus.  

10 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Article is such a good read and it’s implications reach far beyond Iowa dairy farming. Millions of republicans line up every other year to vote against their self-interests because republicans speak their language. You see the same thing with ted Cruz in Texas. He has nothing to run on so he talks about kneeling during the anthem. These fools eat it up.

7 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I think a lot of Republican voters like what the Republicans say and never notice that what they do is different from what they say. Republican and Democrat are just two brands competing for our business in a consumer economy and the marketing campaign dictates their preference, not the actual real life ramifications of policy. 

everyone can justify anything.  vulcans don't populate our planet, so leave logic out of it.   That being said, it's super crazy that so many farmers would vote in such a hardliner like King and not look to back someone that might support amnesty or any other policy that would not leave them bk and possibly in jail for running their business. 

4 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

everyone can justify anything.  vulcans don't populate our planet, so leave logic out of it.   That being said, it's super crazy that so many farmers would vote in such a hardliner like King and not look to back someone that might support amnesty or any other policy that would not leave them bk and possibly in jail for running their business. 

I am so fucking sick of hearing about the goddamn farmers.

Fuck the farmers. Hypocritical, welfare-sucking magats.

I hope ICE shuts them all the fuck down, puts their children in camps, and throws them in prison.

Oh, and as for the bolded-- No its not super crazy, when you remember they are white, racist, dumb fuck hay seeds. The world would be a better place if Iowa just fucking disappeared.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I am so fucking sick of hearing about the goddamn farmers.

Fuck the farmers. Hypocritical, welfare-sucking magats.

I hope ICE shuts them all the fuck down, puts their children in camps, and throws them in prison.

Oh, and as for the bolded-- No its not super crazy, when you remember they are white, racist, dumb fuck hay seeds. The world would be a better place if Iowa just fucking disappeared.

HL Mencken:

Let the farmer, so far as I am concerned, be damned forevermore. To Hell with him, and bad luck to him. He is a tedious fraud and ignoramus, a cheap rogue and hypocrite, the eternal Jack of the human pack. He deserves all that he ever suffers under our economic system, and more. Any city man, not insane, who sheds tears for him is shedding tears of the crocodile.

No more grasping, selfish and dishonest mammal, indeed, is known to students of the Anthropoidea. When the going is good for him he robs the rest of us up to the extreme limit of our endurance; when the going is bad he comes bawling for help out of the public till. Has anyone ever heard of a farmer making any sacrifice of his own interests, however slight, to the common good? Has anyone ever heard of a farmer practising or advocating any political idea that was not absolutely self-seeking — that was not, in fact, deliberately designed to loot the rest of us to his gain? Greenbackism, free silver, the government guarantee of prices, bonuses, all the complex fiscal imbecilities of the cow State John Baptists — these are the contributions of the virtuous husbandmen to American political theory. There has never been a time, in good seasons or bad, when his hands were not itching for more; there has never been a time when he was not ready to support any charlatan, however grotesque, who promised to get it for him. Only one issue ever fetches him, and that is the issue of his own profit. He must be promised something definite and valuable, to be paid to him alone, or he is off after some other mountebank. He simply cannot imagine himself as a citizen of a commonwealth, in duty bound to give as well as take; he can imagine himself only as getting all and giving nothing.

Yet we are asked to venerate this prehensile moron as the Ur-burgher, the citizen par excellence, the foundation-stone of the state! And why? Because he produces something that all of us must have — that we must get somehow on penalty of death. And how do we get it from him? By submitting helplessly to his unconscionable blackmailing by paying him, not under any rule of reason, but in proportion to his roguery and incompetence, and hence to the direness of our need. I doubt that the human race, as a whole, would submit to that sort of high-jacking, year in and year out, from any other necessary class of men. But the farmers carry it on incessantly, without challenge or reprisal, and the only thing that keeps them from reducing us, at intervals, to actual famine is their own imbecile knavery. They are all willing and eager to pillage us by starving us, but they can’t do it because they can’t resist attempts to swindle each other. Recall, for example, the case of the cottongrowers in the South. Back in the 1920’s they agreed among themselves to cut down the cotton acreage in order to inflate the price — and instantly every party to the agreement began planting more cotton in order to profit by the abstinence of his neighbors. That abstinence being wholly imaginary, the price of cotton fell instead of going up — and then the entire pack of scoundrels began demanding assistance from the national treasury — in brief, began demanding that the rest of us indemnify them for the failure of their plot to blackmail us.

The same demand is made sempiternally by the wheat farmers of the Middle West. It is the theory of the zanies who perform at Washington that a grower of wheat devotes himself to that banal art in a philanthropic and patriotic spirit — that he plants and harvests his crop in order that the folks of the cities may not go without bread. It is the plain fact that he raises wheat because it takes less labor than any other crop — because it enables him, after working no more than sixty days a year, to loaf the rest of the twelve months. If wheat-raising could be taken out of the hands of such lazy fellahin and organized as the production of iron or cement is organized, the price might be reduced by two-thirds, and still leave a large profit for entrepreneurs. But what would become of the farmers? Well, what rational man gives a hoot? If wheat went to $10 a bushel tomorrow, and all the workmen of the cities became slaves in name as well as in fact, no farmer in this grand land of freedom would consent voluntarily to a reduction of as much as 1/8 of a cent a bushel. “The greatest wolves,” said E. W. Howe, a graduate of the farm, “are the farmers who bring produce to town to sell.” Wolves? Let us not insult Canis lupus I move the substitution of Hyæna hyæna.

• Like 4

That’s a weird dynamic that these dairy farmers completely reply on illegal immigrant labor while they support trump.   I wonder if they support trump on the other 99% of the issues so they live with their choices.  or do they generally agree with trump on illegal immigrant policy but don’t think deportation will happen to their workers?  

Take Nunes himself.  I assume that he owns or benefits at some level from their family farm in Iowa.  Or maybe he doesn’t but his brother and parents obviously do.   Nunes is actively agreeing to deport every illegal immigrant, effectively destroying his family’s farm.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

That small town in Iowa is perhaps one of the worst sanctuary cities in the entire US in terms of per capita illegal immigrants and the city govt is fully aware of it. And we are subsidizing those farms.  I’m shocked the gop isn’t removing the subsidies from these agricultural areas until they clean up their act.  

• Like 1

I work in ag, and live in a rural area. Although I don't work in the dairy industry, I am somewhat familiar with it. That article makes good points, even if the author insists on himself a bit too much.

Illegal immigrants working in labor-intensive industries has been a thing since the 1st law regulating immigration. I grew up on a farm that hand-picked cucumbers and tomatoes. My dad had to gather copies of I9 (I thing that's the name?) forms from all of his seasonal employees. Reagan's immigration reform (amnesty) pretty much killed hand-picked cukes and tomatoes. Newly-legallized immigrants went to easier jobs. Not sure if they paid better, but it was definitely easier. Picking cukes is HARD labor. Really hard.

Many farmers who deal with this are stuck between a rock and a hard place, and neither party is doing a good job fixing it. But it's hardly uncommon for voters to vote for a candidate we disagree with on certain points. This is a good example.

The mayor getting all squirrely? Yeah. He's in a tight spot too. Not sure what his best play is.

Rural towns, at least in the Midwest are NOT insular places run by Boss Hogg. The South, with it's former plantations may be different. And maybe not. I don't know.

No surprise Ryan Lizza got a cold reception from most people. We have experience with anti-pesticide, anti-biotech, animal rights, etc people coming in looking for a scoop. We'd do better by being more inviting, but that guy looks to harm our way of life. During the FLOC era of NW Ohio, similar things happened. I was in elementary school back then, and I remember "road protests" of people from a long ways away coming out, stopping traffic, trespassing in fields and stopping machinery. Farmers in a few cases got too aggressive with trespassers, in the interest of protecting their families.

And for the record, I am for expanded, LEGAL immigration that includes a measure of amnesty, as I am for the Rule of Law. I think there are plenty of us Trump supporters who are. Ironically, an immigration hardliner President vs a Congress that is softer may be the way get get good compromise.

Amnesty needs to be combined with better enforcement. Reagan's 1986 (or whenever) law gave amnesty and did way to little to enforce legal immigration. We remember that, and are resultingly wary.

On 10/1/2018 at 1:48 AM, NameAlreadyInUse said:

this book is a good read on the topic.

Image result for whats the matter with kansas

17 minutes ago, Parliament said:

And for the record, I am for expanded, LEGAL immigration that includes a measure of amnesty, as I am for the Rule of Law. I think there are plenty of us Trump supporters who are. Ironically, an immigration hardliner President vs a Congress that is softer may be the way get get good compromise.

Amnesty needs to be combined with better enforcement. Reagan's 1986 (or whenever) law gave amnesty and did way to little to enforce legal immigration. We remember that, and are resultingly wary.

The cognitive dissonance is impressive.

That's not supporting Trump. That is against everything Trump claims to be for on immigration. But hey, he's on your team so I guess you say you support him.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Parliament said:

And this:
https://thefederalist.com/2018/10/02/ryan-lizzas-hit-piece-on-devin-nunes-extended-family-is-deeply-flawed/

Nunes might be a dingleberry, not sure. But Lizza does not acquit himself well with this article.

“Devin Nunes has a secret,” the article begins. So what is this politically explosive secret? It must be big, right? Well, no. The “secret” isn’t secret at all and it’s also entirely irrelevant. Nunes comes from a farming family in the San Joaquin Valley of California. He still has a lot of family in California who farms, including on the farm he grew up on. But — and you may want to sit down for this — Nunes’s father sold his farming operation in California a few years back and bought a farm in Iowa.

Yes, that’s the politically explosive secret. I’m serious. That’s the supposed secret.

this seems super dumb.  he makes a lot of the fact that the family moved and tried to keep it quiet because it isn't politically convenient, but that isn't what's explosive.  its the dependency on illegal immigrant labor.

this seems super dumb.  he makes a lot of the fact that the family moved and tried to keep it quiet because it isn't politically convenient, but that isn't what's explosive.  its the dependency on illegal immigrant labor.
Understanding that requires reading comprehension.

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Did you vote for Trump? Will you be voting for Trump next time? If the answers to either of those questions is yes, then you actually aren't for expanded, legal immigration.

Diary farmers are caught between a rock and a hard place? Bullshit. I have no sympathy for those diary farmers. There is a world wide milk glut. The fed and state govs prop up those farms by buying their excess milk at above market rates, offering below market rate insurance, property and other tax exemptions, on and on, who the hell knows what. Let's call all that "welfare". Throw in a blind eye toward using illegal immigrant labor, and you have a giant welfare class. The cherry on the bullshit sundae is that they all vote for and support a xenophobic moron who rails on welfare and immigrants.

• Like 3

Dairy farmers appear to survive because of the federal govt giving them subsidies and the federal requirement of milk in schools.  How much do all of us work each day to pay these farmer?  Without these programs, I assume that many would fail and/or dairy products would be more expensive for us.  But at least the dairy costs would be transparent.  Throw in that they knowingly employ illegal labor to allow for profits, and I'm trying to understand their benefit to society.     They take govt money and refuse to hire Americans on the excuse Americans want too much money.     

Some criticize tech companies for hiring foreign labor but I doubt that any (0?) tech companies receive govt subsidies.  Why do we let farmers off the hook for their behavior?

The Nunes story had a small side-story about a dairy farmer in 2011 being convicted for hiring illegal immigrants potentially as a warning to other farmers.  Served time and had a large fine.  I doubt that the Obama administration won too may fans in that part of the country with that action.

What really sucks here is that I watched a guy upthread tell me that he cut off his nose to spite his face.  As a fucking American I should want to make sure that he gets his nose sewed back on with a quickness, so he can see the error of his ways, but I'm tired enough of this moronic thinking that I'm almost convinced I should just watch it bleed.  How many of those farmers needs to get locked up for hiring illegal workers before they re-think their support for policies that they can only support because they don't expect those policies to actually be enforced?

And why would anyone support a policy that only works if that policy isn't enforced?  The logic pretzel there is pretty spectacular.

The Fresno Bee on Sunday endorsed Democrat Andrew Janz over Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) in next month's election in California's 22nd Congressional District.

"Voters in the 22nd District ... can elect a representative who will both help them with their needs, listen to their concerns and invite them into the process, and chart a bipartisan course that the nation must find if it is to meet the challenges of the future. That leader is Andrew Janz," the paper's editorial board wrote.

"Voters can also choose Nunes and remain stuck with the damaging partisanship he practices, the party-above-country mode that motivates him to protect President Trump from the investigation into Russian meddling more than meet his constitutional obligations as an independent arm of government," the editorial continued. "Then there is his lack of regard for the needs of his part of California."

The Bee, which is among the most prominent news outlets in the district, credited Janz for his views on addressing illegal immigration, implementing gun control without eliminating the ability for law-abiding citizens to arm themselves, and protecting health-care access for individuals with pre-existing conditions.

The news outlet noted that it twice invited Nunes to speak with the editorial board ahead of declaring an endorsement, and the congressman did not respond either time. The editorial board suggested that reflected Nunes's larger lack of accountability to voters in his district.

Janz has risen in prominence in recent months thanks to millions of dollars worth of fundraising hauls in his challenge to Nunes.

The California Republican has carved out a national profile for himself as one of Trump's staunchest allies. Nunes has been at the forefront of efforts by conservative lawmakers to uncover alleged bias against the president within the Justice Department and FBI.

While The Fresno Bee noted that this year marks the first time in more than 15 years that it is endorsing someone other than Nunes, the paper and Nunes have traded barbs in recent months.

The editorial board earlier this year wrote that Nunes had become Trump's "stooge," and criticized him for leading GOP attacks on the FBI.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/410319-nunes-hometown-newspaper-endorses-opponent-in-midterms

• 5 months later...
As someone that lives in this environment, it’s almost like a patriarchy movement/culture.  People that live in rural/red state communities have their own social/business/religious power networks.  
The leaders of these networks are dominated by wealthy older white men with the Fox News worldview.  If you want to get ahead in these networks, you say and do things pleasing to them that conforms to their perceptions.  If you want to hurt your chances at greater social/business mobility, start praising Kapernick and criticizing Trump.  
These networks are so communal and tight knit that speaking out in opposition is almost like self ostracism and there aren’t many alternative social/business networks like you would find in big cities.  
The consequences of this phenomenon is hardened republican strongholds when it comes to voting because people have no exposure to alternative ideas and points of view.  
In other words, it’s a cult.

Or...maybe they aren’t all selfish self absorbed assholes who are all about “me me me and what can everyone give me”. Maybe they actually think they are doing what’s best for the country. Unfortunately, they aren’t well informed enough to understand they are getting hoodwinked by a con man.

Wasn't this type of stuff already settled in suit against Larry Flynt?  And if not, doesn't this open discovery for the defendant to seek evidence he actually has eaten Trump's shit?

I hate this fucking guy.  Truly despicable human being.

3 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

lol Nice going, Devin.

The cow account had less than 3,000 followers when the lawsuit news broke.

Now?

ea729ebb10acd3e0efdb9243cd83c813.jpg

And now we have Devin’s Dad and Devin’s Proctologist chatting on Twitter with Jacob Wohl’s Mom and Roy Moore’s Horse.

372367cc1e95b52ebde05a05ee6b5eb7.jpg
0212fcf6d7f0507ffae372b9709a6740.jpg

Devin Nunes is an extremely stupid person, but even he isn’t stupid enough to not foresee this reaction. He’s just harassing critics because he can, and maybe as part of a larger long-term strategy to change the  current law protecting speech against public figures (which Thomas recently indicates he wanted to revisit).

• Like 1