The Sad State of Texas College Football

Huckleberry

1 minute ago, this said:

Given that Oklahoma has 35(out of 100+) players from Texas, I'd add them to this list and it doesn't look as bad:

# 7. Oklahoma

#20. Texas
#29. Texas Tech
#33. TCU
#41. Texas A&M
#45. North Texas
#52. Houston
#64. Baylor
#97. SMU
#122. UTSA
#126. Rice
#129. Texas St.
#130. UTEP

Nice. Let's add the Miami Dolphins while we're at it. 

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Per capita it seems like Florida produces the most talent with Texas in 2nd out of those 3

Texas has roughly 40% fewer blacks( 17%FLA v 11.8%TX) as a percentage of the population and almost 50% higher percentage of Hispanics( 37.8%TX vs 25.6%FLA.)

Draw your own conclusions.

As far as the overall thread goes, the pussification hasn't occurred at the High School level nearly as much as our college coaches suck shit through a straw.

Edited by slorch

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

Texas has roughly 40% fewer blacks( 17%FLA v 11.8%TX) as a percentage of the population and almost 50% higher percentage of Hispanics( 37.8%TX vs 25.6%FLA.)

As far as the overall thread goes, the pussification hasn't occurred at the High School level nearly as much as our college coaches suck shit through a straw.

Agreed on both points (save that I'm not a fan of the term "blacks"). Florida has just as many poor black kids as Texas does despite being a smaller state. 

I don't think anyone in the 2000s was questioning the talent of Texas high schools. 

9 hours ago, bluto said:

Then there's talk of more Tx schools adding fball programs (UTA is I think), so very very dumb

I graduated from UTA in 2008. It sucked going somewhere that didn't have a football team. It would be cool to see them bring a team back there. Can't remember which year in the 80s was there last season. But if UTSA can have a team, so can UTA. Of course they aren't going to be FBS for a very long time. But they can play in the Southland Conference with no issues for football. I don't think this will hurt Texas (the state) football. I just don't know how many years it will take to get a good following for the team. It takes a lot of resources/money to field a football team as opposed to any other sport. 

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Agreed on both points (save that I'm not a fan of the term "blacks"). Florida has just as many poor black kids as Texas does despite being a smaller state. 

I don't think anyone in the 2000s was questioning the talent of Texas high schools. 

Bleks is the preferred nomenclature. 

Scipio Tex, a few years back:

Texas high school players are spoiled.  Reviewing south Florida film was a wake-up call.  The field is a drained mangrove swamp covered in broken glass and No Dumping signs.  There's a bullet riddled cigar boat sticking halfway up out of the end zone.  The game stops whenever a pit bull wanders onto the field.  There's a referee wearing lycra shorts and tank top with a fanny pack. 14 people in the stands; two of them there to serve warrants.  Gatorade buckets full of pruno. I've counted only nine men on the field on at least half of the highlights.  Meanwhile, Texas kids have been training like Ivan Drago since they were 11 and their stadiums are Elysium.

• Like 2

Kyler Murray, DeMarcus Lodge, Greg Little, JK Dobbins, Baron Browning, Walker Little, Marvin Wilson, Jaylen Waddle, Kaden Smith, Tyrie Cleveland, Klevon chaisson, and Jeffrey Okudah leaving the state might have something to do with it.

In 2007 only 2 of the top 18 recruits in the state left the big 12.  Times changed.

But I really do not give a shit about any of those schools being good again except Texas.  None of them were that great in 2005 and life was just fine.

56 minutes ago, slorch said:

I've seen more than enough "Valley Weeks" in round 3 of the Region 4 playoffs to draw my own conclusions already. The kids play with as much heart and toughness as anyone, but when your entire o-line averages 5'9" 185 lbs you're only going to be able to do so much. 

Catch us on the soccer field though and see how it goes. Can't even remember the last year a valley team didn't make the state tournament in that. 

Rule changes have changed the game also.

When I played O'line couldn't extend their arms much less grab a jersey.  Defensive backs could be a lot more physical.  

Coaches take advantage of the rules. 

BTW,  West Orange Stark plays pretty good defense.  

Edited by Laga4

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I've seen more than enough "Valley Weeks" in round 3 of the Region 4 playoffs to draw my own conclusions already. The kids play with as much heart and toughness as anyone, but when your entire o-line averages 5'9" 185 lbs you're only going to be able to do so much. 

Catch us on the soccer field though and see how it goes. Can't even remember the last year a valley team didn't make the state tournament in that. 

agreed.

Valley football is competitive as hell, as is El Paso; but the truth of the matter is that they are hardly recruiting hotbeds like Florida and Texas East of the Caprock and north of the Frio River.

Fuck soccer.  and the Yankees.  Gotdam that's 2 strikes against ya, right out of the box.

2 hours ago, this said:

Given that Oklahoma has 35(out of 100+) players from Texas, I'd add them to this list and it doesn't look as bad:

# 7. Oklahoma

#20. Texas
#29. Texas Tech
#33. TCU
#41. Texas A&M
#45. North Texas
#52. Houston
#64. Baylor
#97. SMU
#122. UTSA
#126. Rice
#129. Texas St.
#130. UTEP

LSU has 20

bama has 12

tOSU has 8

keep those kids home and you have a hell of a team.  

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

What we need to do is some kind of massive nutritional program in the Valley to turn every undersized lineman down there into beasts like Anthony Munoz, Max Montoya, Tony Casillas, Connor Williams, and Roberto Garza. 

DKR can be sponsored by Negro Modelo and Takis

• Like 2

A lot of great Texas HS players go play elsewhere when UT is down.  It's not very complicated.

It’s all of this. If you eliminate Austin do you want to live in College Station, Lubbock, Ft Worth, Waco, or go somewhere out of state. PAC 14 and Big 10 have some pretty badass cities to pick from.

Just now, shnsajax said:

It’s all of this. If you eliminate Austin do you want to live in College Station, Lubbock, Ft Worth, Waco, or go somewhere out of state. PAC 14 and Big 10 have some pretty badass cities to pick from.

And more. Even when Texas is down we put Texas HS kids in the NFL every year.

12 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

What we need to do is some kind of massive nutritional program in the Valley to turn every undersized lineman down there into beasts like Anthony Munoz, Max Montoya, Tony Casillas, Connor Williams, and Roberto Garza. 

Roberto Garza is from the valley, dude was one of the rare genetically blessed ones. There are some players from the valley every couple years that can play at the next level, they just don’t get the exposure.

I also disagree with the “Texas high schools play soft” argument. Not everyone uses the air raid or spread here. There’s still a fair number of teams that run power I, slot t, wing t, and triple option.

Texas, will always have the luxury of having arguably the best recruiting footprint within the borders of the Lone Star State...

With the right mix of player evaluation & recruiting Texas is a mainstay as a national brand...A more concerning question for two schools that Texas regularly beat on the gridiron in the Huskers & Razorbacks, is how to turn those programs back to at least being on par with schools in Texas as: TCU (#30), and A&M (#36), as of now, both of those schools are about 60+ slots lower than even those two brands...

The most recent ranking of USA Today 130 NCAA football programs, shows the current state of both OU & UT in the XII, and the 4 fomer league members...

#7- Oklahoma (XII)
#18- Texas (XII)
#36- Texas A&M (SEC)
#37- Colorado (PAC)
#46- Missouri (SEC)

#94- Nebraska (B1G)
#97- Arkansas *(SEC)

Only time will tell if Nebraska has only a temporary "blip" in loosing, or if the move to B1G is closer to Arkansas leaving the SWC, for the SEC...

6 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

seems to me Texas high football has gotten worse when it comes to the fundamentals of the game, and coaches only care about 7 on 7 and offensive stats /get off my lawn 

I am starting to see some Texas HS bringing the smash mouth run game back with spread concepts. Hopefully this continues so the defense personnel can develop and toughen up.

16 hours ago, slorch said:

That’s racist gif

Edited by Pig Bellmont

17 hours ago, slorch said:

...and we still can’t find a kicker???

18 hours ago, shnsajax said:

I honestly don't know why UTSA or Texas St wanted to be D1?

Beats the hell out of me. Each of those is losing millions a year. I honestly don't know what either one is expecting for the millions spent (wasted?). I don't think its building their student recruiting - that's usually what schools going FBS say they want it to do. Just seems like pissing money out the window. Texas State was a fine 1AA program, won a couple of national championships and was in the hunt deep in the playoffs not that long ago.

2 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Pretty sure the first Texas in his sentence was shorthand for 'University of Texas', but that's just my reading.

It was. For those curious, there is only one year since Texas' first draft selection (1939) where a UT player was not drafted.

On 10/1/2018 at 9:27 AM, ClubWhatever said:

How is other Texas teams sucking worse than us bad for the U of Texas?  From my standpoint we want every other Texas team to suck hard, forever.

Misery loves company . No team in Texas has ever been elite. EVER. What's the big deal?  They all suck .

• Fuck You 1