2018 Lawn and Landscape Thread

Chilly Water

I'm not certain but i think this shit is bahiagrass.....Does anyone know the best way to get rid of it without hurting bermuda? I have previously used Spectracide Weedstop spray and it doesn't seem to have worked on this because these have sprouted aggressively in my back yard. This stuff has exploded all around my neighborhood and my next-door neighbors have a lot of it in their yard. I've already put down an application of Amaze pre-emergent in early May and fertilized with Milorganite. I was planning on doing an application of nitrogen-heavy vigoro in the back yard early next month as well, but I'm not sure if that will just give these sonsabitches more fuel to grow.

Btw Cactus, my side yard is definitely back and has greened up considerably after applying a 21-0-0 all purpose fertilizer and watering it aggressively. Now I just gotta get these damn weeds up control and let my bermuda thicken up.....

spacer.png

Our new house in Austin has a xeriscaped yard...  I'm guess we have max 100 sq feet of St. Augustine so basically nothign because the rest is plants, pathsways, beds, etc. etc.  I look forward to having less grass to tend.  

Just bought a new house and the previous owner did nothing for the grass.

Its Bermuda but with a ton of weeds? What’s the best way to start regrowing the Bermuda? 

I was thinking some type of weed killer, then a couple of trucks of top soil and then Bermuda seed. 

Would this work? How close together can I do all of that? Should I aerate?

Also yard is about 1/3 of an acre, so I’m not looking to resod unless that is the only option.

Edited by LebongJames

any ideas on what I can do to help the grass in my front lawn to grow? it's been looking like this the last year or so. Are the trees (oak, maybe white) just sucking up all the water or is there a fungus I need to treat? I'm think the trees since it's concentrated around them.

IMG-20200429-134148.jpg

IMG-20200429-134151.jpg
IMG-20200429-134226.jpg
IMG-20200429-134236.jpg

16 minutes ago, Viper said:

any ideas on what I can do to help the grass in my front lawn to grow? it's been looking like this the last year or so. Are the trees (oak, maybe white) just sucking up all the water or is there a fungus I need to treat? I'm think the trees since it's concentrated around them.

IMG-20200429-134148.jpg

IMG-20200429-134151.jpg
IMG-20200429-134226.jpg
IMG-20200429-134236.jpg

Hard for me to tell from this photo, but looks like a de-thatching would be a good start.  

I de-thatch my yard when it gets that tan looking "layer" just under the grass.  If you've never done this before, be aware---you absolutely butcher your yard in the process.

• Like 1

Just now, Francisco 2.0 said:

Hard for me to tell from this photo, but looks like a de-thatching would be a good start.  

I de-thatch my yard when it gets that tan looking "layer" just under the grass.  If you've never done this before, be aware---you absolutely butcher your yard in the process.

I agree, my first house had St. Augustine and there was one troublesome area near a planter bed that looked dead as shit. I lightly dethatched it with a thatch rake and saw definite improvement. However, be aware that many say you should never dethatch St. Augustine because it can kill it. Otoh it looks like you have a lot of dead grass blocking any new growth. I suggest you take a small sample with an aerator or garden spade and look at the top layer of soil and see if there's a lot of thatch buildup. 

57 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Just bought a new house and the previous owner did nothing for the grass.

Its Bermuda but with a ton of weeds? What’s the best way to start regrowing the Bermuda? 

I was thinking some type of weed killer, then a couple of trucks of top soil and then Bermuda seed. 

Would this work? How close together can I do all of that? Should I aerate?

Also yard is about 1/3 of an acre, so I’m not looking to resod unless that is the only option.

First thing to do right now is to get down some pre-emergent and spot treat for weeds. Bermuda will come back with a force if you water it, feed it with fertilizer, and get rid of weeds. I would caution against overseeding with top soil and bermuda seed because you probably won't get the same type of bermuda and it could look patchy once you get your lawn back into full growth. 

I would get the pre-emergent asap and also send a soil sample to A&M Agrilife so you know the ph of your soil. 

• Like 1

Just for reference, a before and after of de-thatching followed by fertilizer on the side of my house. I was kicking myself after i de-thatched because my lawn looked as green as my neighbor's and then it looked DEAD. But Cactus was right, the bermuda bounced back nicely within a couple of weeks. Still not ideal but it's getting there.....

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

My contribution for the year.  Bermuda was slow to get going this spring, and I've not fertilized yet this year.  Planning on doing it in the next week or so.

Front bed looks like shit; I sprayed Roundup on most everything you see that's dead.  Going to pull some of the stuff out, replant, then put down fresh mulch.  Hedge in the second photo with the "sunken" area; an armadillo made it's home underneath there over the winter, and I'm not sure exactly how to repair that.

Screenshot-Front-Yard-May-23-2020-044115

Screenshot-Front-Door-May-23-2020-044516

• Like 1

42a429c5331aeea34a1ed3b6f0f10725.jpg

Bahia? It’s mixed in with Bermuda in some spots in the front yard and some St. Augustine in the back yard.
If so, what’s best for getting rid of it (preferably from the big boxes, but good with anywhere in Austin)

If not, what is it and what’s best for getting rid of it (preferably from the big boxes, but good with anywhere in Austin)

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

42a429c5331aeea34a1ed3b6f0f10725.jpg

Bahia? It’s mixed in with Bermuda in some spots in the front yard and some St. Augustine in the back yard.
If so, what’s best for getting rid of it (preferably from the big boxes, but good with anywhere in Austin)

If not, what is it and what’s best for getting rid of it (preferably from the big boxes, but good with anywhere in Austin)

38 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

that looks like dallisgrass to me

https://aggieturf.tamu.edu/turfgrass-weeds/dallisgrass/

I concur.  It's a bitch to get rid of, too.  I've been fighting it for years now.

This product works well and doesn't kill my Bermuda.  Please note; there are two varieties of this; the Northern grass blend and Southern grass.  Make sure you get the one that doesn't harm St Augustine.  Home Depot and Lowes carries this, but some times, they only have the Northern blend in store and you have to order the Southern.  Also, one application of this might not work, but two will do the trick.  

Dallis is a perennial, so it's gonna come back next year.  You just have to keep after it.

roundup-weed-killer-500891005-64_1000.jp

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I concur.  It's a bitch to get rid of, too.  I've been fighting it for years now.

This product works well and doesn't kill my Bermuda.  Please note; there are two varieties of this; the Northern grass blend and Southern grass.  Make sure you get the one that doesn't harm St Augustine.  Home Depot and Lowes carries this, but some times, they only have the Northern blend in store and you have to order the Southern.  Also, one application of this might not work, but two will do the trick.  

Dallis is a perennial, so it's gonna come back next year.  You just have to keep after it.

roundup-weed-killer-500891005-64_1000.jp

I used this on my st augustine and it worked well. Then I bought a cheaper one that was safe for st augustine but not floratam and it's killing the grass after about a week. not a lot but in the areas I concentrated  the spray on.

Also have dallisgras. you'll want to get pre-emegent down twice a that will prevent it. I also pull out any of the long stems with the seeds before they start "blooming" to spread the seeds (every couple of days). Another option is just to get some roundup and kill it and let the st augustine eventually grow in.

• Like 1

I need fertilizer for St Augustine. Then I need a pre emergent for fall. I want to go ahead and get this stuff so I can be ready. I went at my yard hard at end of last summer and almost killed it with Weed Free Zone. However, I got the spurge and almost all of the crab grass out of the front. I have more weed free zone, but I’m scared to use it. (It was probably a bad time last year - late and in the heat). Yard is looking better, just hate the winter weeds.

14 hours ago, kmac30 said:

I need fertilizer for St Augustine. Then I need a pre emergent for fall. I want to go ahead and get this stuff so I can be ready. I went at my yard hard at end of last summer and almost killed it with Weed Free Zone. However, I got the spurge and almost all of the crab grass out of the front. I have more weed free zone, but I’m scared to use it. (It was probably a bad time last year - late and in the heat). Yard is looking better, just hate the winter weeds.

If you stay on top of your pre-em routine you wont have a lot of winter, spring or summer weed issues.

19-4-10 Nitro Phos Super Turff
18-4-6 Fertilome Southwest Greenmaker
18-0-6 Fertilome's Zero Phosphate Formula
15-5-10 Southwest Fertilizer Premium Gold
20-0-10 Bonide Premium Lawn Food

I typically use the SE premium gold on mine.

finally got my backyard respectable this year since we got a puppy. but now we’re in the process of getting a pool. i need recs for austin-area landscapers to reroute my irrigation, then resod after the pool build. et tu cactus?

40887499-C172-4050-8008-58-B4-C6-CBE6-E6

Edited by joe dirt
bigger pic

1 hour ago, joe dirt said:

finally got my backyard respectable this year since we got a puppy. but now we’re in the process of getting a pool. i need recs for austin-area landscapers to reroute my irrigation, then resod after the pool build. et tu cactus?

40887499-C172-4050-8008-58-B4-C6-CBE6-E6

I haven't been paying a lot of attention to this thread. So, @ me if you want to be sure that I see it.

Emerald Lawns has been recommended earlier, but here's a link to the membership list of the irrigators assn.

SWEATERGAWD why is the paste not working?

Central Texas Professional Irrigators Assn>member directory 

Andy's is one I recognize. 

• Like 1

Hi Cactus,

I figured out that the weed I couldn't identify in my bermuda is actually the bermuda going to seed. I have one large area in my back yard where it's concentrated but the rest of the yard seems to be normal. I've read differing views online--- are bermuda seedheads a sign of distress or something not to worry about and just mow?

57 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Hi Cactus,

I figured out that the weed I couldn't identify in my bermuda is actually the bermuda going to seed. I have one large area in my back yard where it's concentrated but the rest of the yard seems to be normal. I've read differing views online--- are bermuda seedheads a sign of distress or something not to worry about and just mow?

I'm not finding much research to suggest that what we have said for years is a fact, that seed head production is a sign of nitrogen deficiency. In your case knowing it's in recovery from dethatching you can hit it monthly with fertilizer. 

16 minutes ago, Chapo said:

spacer.png

What are these? Front lawn full of them.

St. Augustine seed head. Again, I'm not finding anything to back up the idea that seed heads are a sign of N deficits. Any time a plant goes into seed production it's going to pull resources. How long ago did you fertilize?

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 2:35 PM, Viper said:

Can anyone help this guy out on Nextdoor?

Next-Door-Weed-Question.png

I had a female colleague who moved to Austin from Boston show me a picture like that and asked the same question.  She said she had been pulling it out all weekend.  I told her that was her grass.  It's like having someone move here from out of state that doesn't know to remove the shuck from their tamales.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Hi Cactus,

Was just getting ready to post this.

2 hours ago, Chapo said:

spacer.png

What are these? Front lawn full of them.

St. Augustine seed stalks.  The seeds look like sesame seeds.  I don't think the seeds are viable.  I believe the only way to propagate St. A is through the runners that the Next door guy called a weed.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Viper said:

Why aren't the seed viable?

Bermuda has a better shot of it, but St. A has about a 30% germination rate. The drawback in the yard is having to leave the stalks until the seeds are matured. This usually causes a run-in with HOAs and code enforcement due to the fact that your yard resembles a pasture. 

18 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

St. Augustine seed head. Again, I'm not finding anything to back up the idea that seed heads are a sign of N deficits. Any time a plant goes into seed production it's going to pull resources. How long ago did you fertilize?

New construction, haven't fertilize at all.

3 hours ago, Chapo said:

New construction, haven't fertilize at all.

I'd hit it with some 14-14-14 with micros to start. The extra dose of phosphorus will help it root out. That's going to be crucial going into the season of hell. Familiarize yourself with gray leaf spot and Take-all root rot. There is a greater than zero chance that you'll encounter either or both. You can hit it with a post emergent after about 4 mows, but it's only necessary if you are seeing a lot of stuff popping up. I'd wait until this fall for any kind of pre. Concentrate on getting it established the first six months or so. 

Edit: Now would be a great time to run a soil test. It's your best shot at getting a baseline reading. Then you'll know exactly how much NPK it needs.

Edited by cactusflinthead

On 6/1/2020 at 11:50 AM, cactusflinthead said:

I'd hit it with some 14-14-14 with micros to start. The extra dose of phosphorus will help it root out. That's going to be crucial going into the season of hell. Familiarize yourself with gray leaf spot and Take-all root rot. There is a greater than zero chance that you'll encounter either or both. You can hit it with a post emergent after about 4 mows, but it's only necessary if you are seeing a lot of stuff popping up. I'd wait until this fall for any kind of pre. Concentrate on getting it established the first six months or so. 

Edit: Now would be a great time to run a soil test. It's your best shot at getting a baseline reading. Then you'll know exactly how much NPK it needs.

question for you. just laid down some zoysia yesterday and spread some 14-14-14. i'm planning to water it twice a day for 30 mins each time for the next week

is this good?

I have moles. Is there a good way to get rid of them beside one of those in ground traps? Dog tries to catch them (digs massive tunnel holes) and I don’t want her to lose a nose. One section of my yard feels like is raised with all the tunnels.