2018 Lawn and Landscape Thread

Chilly Water

14 minutes ago, Grumpy Camel said:

I spot treated with the Roundup that’s safe to use on grass.  No effect.

Will do.  Plan to mix up some Quinclorac and Methylated Seed Oil and spray this weekend.

Makes sense, that version of Roundup won't kill crabgrass or dallisgrass.

One of my rose bushes suddenly started to show signs of what I assumed to be heat stress but the other one is doing ok for the most part. I regularly water but watered it again thoroughly and didn't see any sign of change. A few stems have green leaves that are wilting and curling. I am guessing rose canker but not sure how aggressive to be with pruning these back.

IMG_20200719_123032.jpg

IMG_20200719_123043.jpg

IMG_20200719_123108.jpg

IMG_20200719_123207.jpg

IMG_20200719_123225.jpg

IMG_20200719_123339.jpg

IMG_20200719_123345.jpg

1c5030b4f858f4be4e69d246ed7491c3.jpg
0b0a5bf6bef485126542069d22f46d68.jpg
Father in law’s yard has gotten in some trouble. Sprinklers go regularly. These look like tracks from the mowers. Grass is toast. Any ideas? They seem to think someone sprayed weed killer and then got it on the blade. I disagree. These are also the areas that get blasted by sun.

On 7/19/2020 at 6:22 PM, kmac30 said:

Father in law’s yard has gotten in some trouble. Sprinklers go regularly. These look like tracks from the mowers. Grass is toast. Any ideas? They seem to think someone sprayed weed killer and then got it on the blade. I disagree. These are also the areas that get blasted by sun.

I had that issue a few summers ago.  I think it had to do with me mowing during the heat of the day.  Too much stress, blades get mashed down by the tires.  I could be wrong, but that was my analysis.  Couldn't find any visible signs of disease or bugs. 

On 7/19/2020 at 1:10 PM, Gourmand said:

One of my rose bushes suddenly started to show signs of what I assumed to be heat stress but the other one is doing ok for the most part. I regularly water but watered it again thoroughly and didn't see any sign of change. A few stems have green leaves that are wilting and curling. I am guessing rose canker but not sure how aggressive to be with pruning these back.

IMG_20200719_123032.jpg

IMG_20200719_123043.jpg

IMG_20200719_123108.jpg

IMG_20200719_123207.jpg

IMG_20200719_123225.jpg

IMG_20200719_123339.jpg

IMG_20200719_123345.jpg

Stem dieback on #6 for certain. The leaf curl makes me wonder if it is a root rot. Check the ones that are completely curled up like a cocoon. That's entirely possible. I had to cut mine back hard earlier this season. The standard rec is bleach or alcohol in between cuts. Hell with that. 409 or Lysol won't corrode my pruners and nukes fungus. Cut, spray or dunk, repeat. There is no consensus on remedial sprays. If you have something broad spectrum like myclobutanil, propiconazole, or thiophanate- methyl I'd use it. The curling could also be a response to the vascular system being compromised below it. 

If it's phytophthora it's going to take a rotation of phosphorus acid and mefenoxam, Agriphos or equivalent and Subdue GR. The liquid is much more expensive and it is 2oz in a hundred gallons, so like the never-ending roll of Xmas wrapping paper you can pass it along to your grandchildren. I can't remember if a bag is 25 or 30lbs, it's about $120. 

On 7/19/2020 at 6:22 PM, kmac30 said:

It's definitely not herbicide. It's  not that durable on a blade. Look for gray leaf spot. Do the coffee can trick to check for chinch bugs. Not in the dead areas for either. Scout the adjacent areas that are still green. There is a good chance that it's just stress like @Spaulding Smails said. Tell him to run a water check. Throw out some cat food, tuna fish cans or whatever and run his regular watering.  Then go see what they caught. And then go dig a divot. See how far down it got wet.

Gut says gray leaf spot. That can be spread by the mower. Running around with inoculation loops for wheels. It's pretty distinctive on the leaf blades. 

• Like 1

I planted a Monterey Oak last year and it dropped almost all of its leaves a few weeks ago.  I think the soil around it isn’t draining well, and I’m thinking of digging out “chimneys” around the drip line and filling with sand.  Bad idea or nah?

20 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Anyone, Beuller?

@cactusflinthead?

It does not die with the normal stuff, it's in Bermuda and I'm using a braodleaf killer.  It also will root the stems (stolons)

I think it's a kind of crabgrass. If you can find a seed head it will help ID it.

I'd hit it with quinclorac or a low rate of glyphosate. I'm becoming convinced that the results of glyphosate and MSMA are nearly indistinguishable. You can try Celsius too if you have it on hand. 

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

I think it's a kind of crabgrass. If you can find a seed head it will help ID it.

I'd hit it with quinclorac or a low rate of glyphosate. I'm becoming convinced that the results of glyphosate and MSMA are nearly indistinguishable. You can try Celsius too if you have it on hand. 

Thanks, it grows next to the Crabgrass in some places but left alone in a garden bed where it is not mowed it can create a mat that is 8-10 inches thick where the stems weave themselves together and root anywhere they touch the ground.  It's growing pattern is closer to Common Bermuda but the leaves look like crabgrass just the stems and roots don't.

Aggy doesn't have it on this page: https://aggieturf.tamu.edu/turfgrass-weeds/

Looking in other places to see what I can find.

• 3 weeks later...

we started on a pool build in july and my sprinklers have been off ever since. i’ve been using an impulse sprinkler and hand watering a total of 2 hr/wk. i’ve used my usual milorganite and added hydretain for good measure but it looks like i’m losing the battle to keep it alive. could it be from stress where the skid steer tore shit up? overwatering? underwatering?

this is my 6th summer here and the first time it hasn’t been deep green in august

AD164-C39-70-C4-41-B4-80-DD-303-C3774-BC

Edited by joe dirt
reasons

On 8/21/2020 at 8:01 PM, joe dirt said:

we started on a pool build in july and my sprinklers have been off ever since. i’ve been using an impulse sprinkler and hand watering a total of 2 hr/wk. i’ve used my usual milorganite and added hydretain for good measure but it looks like i’m losing the battle to keep it alive. could it be from stress where the skid steer tore shit up? overwatering? underwatering?

this is my 6th summer here and the first time it hasn’t been deep green in august

AD164-C39-70-C4-41-B4-80-DD-303-C3774-BC

Seen any recovery?

17 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Seen any recovery?

it hasn’t gotten worse, so i’m just gonna take that as a win haha. we’re probably a month away from repairing the sprinklers and laying new sod. i kind of want to scalp the existing and see if i can get it to green up before then. 

2 hours ago, joe dirt said:

it hasn’t gotten worse, so i’m just gonna take that as a win haha. we’re probably a month away from repairing the sprinklers and laying new sod. i kind of want to scalp the existing and see if i can get it to green up before then. 

I'd wait until the irrigation is squared away before I chop it down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

St Augustine brown patch question for you. A part of my lawn near my neighbor (whose sprinkler system is on a lot and covers this portion of my yard) clearly has had brown patch for a couple of weeks:

5e7d82ebac9aab49800c9fc3ce8fcb06.jpg

That’s not that uncommon for my yard this time of year.

However the odd thing I just noticed this morning (and which I’ve never seen in my lawn in the 20 years I’ve lived here) are these brown streaks which are along the borders of my lawn (both along the curb/sidewalk borders and also along the path leading up to my house) and which almost look like hash marks measured out and along the same basic plane. All are away from the area shown in the first pic.

e9cdc6872dee46ff5e7b1d5a197109a4.plist

6d23b9054852017c8aa23842811df963.plist

I did recently fertilize and apply some fungicide if that matters.

TIA

4 hours ago, drt said:

Considering top dressing my st Augustine. Should this be straight compost, Dillo dirt, etc? Should I aim for 1/4 inch or more?

this is in Austin if it matters

I'm just a home gardener, so @cactusflinthead would have the top dollar answer, but personally if you're going to do it, I'd get it done soon. I think topdressing is supposed to be done (optimally) during the active growing season, which for central Texas I'm estimating as May to late Sept maybe early October. We have a front coming through again this upcoming week and I'm noticing I'm not needing to mow twice a week as the grass seems to be slowing a touch due to the cooler temps of late.

We have done ours in May to June simply because it has a better chance of getting a nice shower to soak it in. The grass pops through pretty quick then. We don't put more than 1/4ish inch on ours and have used compost mostly but occasionally peat moss if the area is prone to fungi or damp. That's been our biggest issue: our neighbor's system sends water into a spot in our side yard that we really can't raise up without causing more issues, but it is typically where if we are going to get brown patch--that is where it shows up even with being somewhat proactive with spray.

On 9/22/2020 at 9:45 PM, mdleast said:

St Augustine brown patch question for you. A part of my lawn near my neighbor (whose sprinkler system is on a lot and covers this portion of my yard) clearly has had brown patch for a couple of weeks:

5e7d82ebac9aab49800c9fc3ce8fcb06.jpg

That’s not that uncommon for my yard this time of year.

However the odd thing I just noticed this morning (and which I’ve never seen in my lawn in the 20 years I’ve lived here) are these brown streaks which are along the borders of my lawn (both along the curb/sidewalk borders and also along the path leading up to my house) and which almost look like hash marks measured out and along the same basic plane. All are away from the area shown in the first pic.

e9cdc6872dee46ff5e7b1d5a197109a4.plist

6d23b9054852017c8aa23842811df963.plist

I did recently fertilize and apply some fungicide if that matters.

TIA

How long ago did you apply a fungicide? And do you remember the active ingredient?

The hashmarks look like a dog pee spot.

7 hours ago, drt said:

Considering top dressing my st Augustine. Should this be straight compost, Dillo dirt, etc? Should I aim for 1/4 inch or more?

this is in Austin if it matters

Peat moss. And I'd recommend the same to @mdleast. The two most important applications for take-all are going into dormancy and coming out of it. That's when the damage is done.  we see the results  in the summer. Peat moss has suppression properties for take all. Why and how is not well understood. How much? I think it's 3 cubic feet per thousand. That's not a lot.  You can put it on heavier. I got 35 yds of a 25 compost/75 sand for top dressing early in the summer. It looked like 25 % was a generous estimate. Gave no fucks. That's what it says to get, ok then. It worked fine. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 7:43 PM, cactusflinthead said:

How long ago did you apply a fungicide? And do you remember the active ingredient?

The hashmarks look like a dog pee spot.

Peat moss. And I'd recommend the same to @mdleast. The two most important applications for take-all are going into dormancy and coming out of it. That's when the damage is done.  we see the results  in the summer. Peat moss has suppression properties for take all. Why and how is not well understood. How much? I think it's 3 cubic feet per thousand. That's not a lot.  You can put it on heavier. I got 35 yds of a 25 compost/75 sand for top dressing early in the summer. It looked like 25 % was a generous estimate. Gave no fucks. That's what it says to get, ok then. It worked fine. 

same for zoysia in austin?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, drt said:

Can we talk about ball moss and what time of year I should hire someone to do something about it?

If you choose to do nothing it's not a bad option. It's an epiphyte. It gets zero resources from the tree. However, you can blast them off with a pressure washer and next spring spray with a copper based fungicide. 

https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/library/landscaping/ball-moss/

• Hook 'Em 1

I've noticed a lot of moths in my grass as I've been mowing and some browning in places. I'm guessing sod worms. I put some granular bifenthrin down last weekend. Can I put some triazicide granules down this weekend or should I stick to liquid bt and liquid bifenthrin so soon after the first granules.

Is it too early for winter rye? I’ve always done it towards the end of October or early November, and it doesn’t ever seem to really establish itself until it’s damn near spring time. And then it fucking thrives for a month or two. I’d really like my WINTER rye to be growing in the gotdamn winter

18 hours ago, swraith said:

St Augustine growth has really slowed. Don’t even need to mow this weekend.

Same with mine. It seemed once the first "cool" front came through here in Pearland, growth just came to a halt. Looks as though parts of the yard are already going dormant too. 

8 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

I have sod webworms. They’re all over my neighborhood. Sprayed Bifen but that doesn’t seem to faze them. Any ideas? I might up the use and spray again this weekend.

https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/gardenline-with-randy-lemmon/content/2020-08-06-sod-webworm-wipeout-the-extreme-protocol/

Day 1:

Granular bifenthrin (I prefer Bug Out, because it’s the strongest.)

Liquid bifenthrin (Which, applied after the granular product, helps water it in)

Day 3:

Liquid bT (Organic Caterpillar & Webworm Control)

Day 7:

Liquid bifenthrin

Day 10:

Liquid bT

Day 13 or 14:

Liquid bifenthrin

• Hook 'Em 1