2018 Lawn and Landscape Thread

Chilly Water

I hate grass and I hate weeds...

I’ve done as much drought resistant landscaping as I can at home. I haven’t cared for the grass I do have other than the ocasional fertilizer and pre emergent every other year or so, and always done half assed and never follow up with the second or third application through the year. I don’t care enough to see what type of soil I have etc. Grew up in the desert, so I just don’t care for grass at all.

My St. Augustine always has like three different types of weeds and crab grass growing on it. Shit grows so thick that I always just mow through the crap and it looks “like grass”. Good enough for looks since it appears to be green when it’s supposed to (and the St. Augustine appears healthy), but I know it’s also riddled with weeds.

I decided to finally start caring a little more. So I will follow through with the more frequent applications etc.

Anyways, my question is this....I was recommended the following little setup. Anyone have any experience with either of these products and will my weeds be gone in a few springs if I apply these products on schedule as recommended above by Okie Lite? Both products are organic and a bit on the pricier range of shit, but I’m cool if my dog doesn’t breathe and eat pesticides or whatever the fuck is in regular fertilizers and pre emergent.

I applied this stuff late March. I think I was feeding some of the weeds as well, but I believe that eventually the corn gluten meal will start acting as the pre emergent. Again I hate grass and just want the easiest method to fucking keep weeds at a minimum. I do hand pick a lot of shit to help battle the weeds.

604be8dab3197f796befa59ba9d744f3.jpg

abdc29cd0e951c5f3acfb6df623fee6b.jpg

12 hours ago, texas08 said:

I hate grass and I hate weeds...

I’ve done as much drought resistant landscaping as I can at home. I haven’t cared for the grass I do have other than the ocasional fertilizer and pre emergent every other year or so, and always done half assed and never follow up with the second or third application through the year. I don’t care enough to see what type of soil I have etc. Grew up in the desert, so I just don’t care for grass at all.

My St. Augustine always has like three different types of weeds and crab grass growing on it. Shit grows so thick that I always just mow through the crap and it looks “like grass”. Good enough for looks since it appears to be green when it’s supposed to (and the St. Augustine appears healthy), but I know it’s also riddled with weeds.

I decided to finally start caring a little more. So I will follow through with the more frequent applications etc.

Anyways, my question is this....I was recommended the following little setup. Anyone have any experience with either of these products and will my weeds be gone in a few springs if I apply these products on schedule as recommended above by Okie Lite? Both products are organic and a bit on the pricier range of shit, but I’m cool if my dog doesn’t breathe and eat pesticides or whatever the fuck is in regular fertilizers and pre emergent.

I applied this stuff late March. I think I was feeding some of the weeds as well, but I believe that eventually the corn gluten meal will start acting as the pre emergent. Again I hate grass and just want the easiest method to fucking keep weeds at a minimum. I do hand pick a lot of shit to help battle the weeds.

604be8dab3197f796befa59ba9d744f3.jpg

abdc29cd0e951c5f3acfb6df623fee6b.jpg

15 hours ago, swraith said:

I can't catch the editor fast enough. So the dp quote gets to stay.

I'll be willing to have the conversation of 'organic' vs chemical later tonight perhaps. 

But,  before I pick up the gauntlet I am going to ask you to review some actual science. Studies on the effectiveness of corn gluten as a pre-emergent. I'll spoil it. No one has been able to replicate Nick Christian's results. 

We can talk toxicity to various living beings of the chemicals we have around us including the ones we use in the yard.

I'll state my stance here too before we begin.

I just want it to work. If I can use a lower toxicity, highly targeted product that's probably what I'll use. If I can do nothing at all and expect the a reasonable economic return on the crop, that includes turf, then I ain't spending a dime. Sometimes though I have to resort to products with Danger on the label. 

I'll do the hippie option if it works, but I'll go full toxic avenger assault if that's what it takes. 

Tl/dr

The fert is fine, both kinds, because that's all the corn gluten is going to be. 

Short answer: Neither I nor Okie Lite is going to recommend something that we won't put out at our own house. I've sprayed the same things at hospitals. The public parks that are well maintained and mostly weed have been sprayed. 

I'm working on dinner, but I aim to talk about this some more. 

Perception and reality. How we think about the yard, and ag in general, and our goals. The idea that 'chemical' is bad and 'organic' is good.

Short answer B. It's cool to apply the fertilizer. A dense, aggressive turf is your best defense against weeds. I don't particularly give a damn what you put on it at the lowest common denominator level. Bird shit based, human shit, scrapings from the slaughterhouse. Don't care. 

What you thought Organic was all pretty and painless?

Heh. Yeah. More later. 

Bermuda is just taking over what I think is some zoysia strain. Cactus, I think you offered some chemical that might help. So I need to kill the Bermuda and replant pallets? Waiting until after growing season? Other? Looks like zoysia is still under it getting smothered so I’m at a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might need to just burn my grass with gasoline.

Just spent all afternoon top dressing peat and compost hoping it knocks out the fungus funk I’ve chased all around for 3 years and helps the front green up to “2nd worst on the block”

Came in and immediately told the wife to review the HOA documents on xeriscape rules.

Finished pool installation and yard landscaping.  Much less grass to worry about sans a large rectangular strip in the side yard.  Pulled the trigger on a simple rotary cutter.  Man, I love that thing.  Bearing are still new so it's not a chore to push at all.  My 13yr old just inherited a new chore!

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmmltVShw9QlC6a1hLk

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2019 at 2:18 PM, ZB'Tejas said:

Bermuda is just taking over what I think is some zoysia strain. Cactus, I think you offered some chemical that might help. So I need to kill the Bermuda and replant pallets? Waiting until after growing season? Other? Looks like zoysia is still under it getting smothered so I’m at a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any reason you don’t want to just let the Bermuda take over? There’s a reason it’s winning after all. But if you just really don’t want it, then you can spray the whole damned yard, wait a few weeks, till and top dress, and resod. There are obviously times of the year where the conditions are more favorable for new sod, but you can still do it in the dead of summer. You’ll just have to be on the ball with watering.

Any strong feelings on strains of St. Augustine?  I'm going to resod the back yard (fairly shaded) and parts of the front (shaded, but less than the back).

Currently at King Ranch turfgrass in South Austin Amerishade is $255/pallet, Floratam is $195, and Raleigh is $165.  We have a fairly clay heavy soil if it makes any difference.

Just bought a house and the 1 acre “lawn” is mostly clover and other weeds. Few questions:

Would weed and feed just kill everything and leave me with dirt?

Should I place sod or seed? What type of grass?

I’m interested in palisades zoysia for its low grow and drought tolerance, but I have no idea what I’m doing.

The lot has several large oaks and pecan trees.

9c6785db2704444e7069f082f3e5b4aa.jpg

33d1546ecdb1ebe1975f1933cb499f6a.jpg

87b60b87a2268e80edbfa1ab5c302dce.jpg

On 5/18/2019 at 9:57 AM, SquishMitten said:

Any reason you don’t want to just let the Bermuda take over? There’s a reason it’s winning after all. But if you just really don’t want it, then you can spray the whole damned yard, wait a few weeks, till and top dress, and resod. There are obviously times of the year where the conditions are more favorable for new sod, but you can still do it in the dead of summer. You’ll just have to be on the ball with watering.

The Zoysia grass is so much nicer and plush (plus covers about 80% of the yard). Yard is irrigated so watering is not an issue was justifying to figure out whether reside might be my only option. Bermuda grows so much faster, earlier and those stupid runners take over quick.

On 5/20/2019 at 2:51 PM, jofus said:

Just bought a house and the 1 acre “lawn” is mostly clover and other weeds. Few questions:

Would weed and feed just kill everything and leave me with dirt?

Should I place sod or seed? What type of grass?

I’m interested in palisades zoysia for its low grow and drought tolerance, but I have no idea what I’m doing.

The lot has several large oaks and pecan trees.

Weed and feed is the devil.  It may very well kill your oak trees.  And, if you plan on eating those atrazine-infused pecans...

6 hours ago, markstanco said:

I have zoysia grass and this one spot is driving me crazy. Weed is about half the width of a st Augustine blade.

Will Image wipe it out?

Also, pay no attention to the dog urine burns, they are no longer peeing there.

c60a3b25957044c9f845d2fd79fd8000.jpg

Your going to have to zoom in if you want identification. Looks like maybe nut sedge and I see some Dallis grass I think. 

Your going to have to zoom in if you want identification. Looks like maybe nut sedge and I see some Dallis grass I think. 
Okay will do tomorrow evening. Operation drinking mode at the lake currently. Dallis grass with a Google search is definitely one species.

Good job on your agronomy class at BCS!

I’m a month late on the TARR discussion, but I’ve been struck in this gray leaf spot -> TARR cycle for the past 2 or 3 years and it has devastated my St Augustine. This year I finally tried being more proactive and put out fungicide and Peat Moss early. 

I’m not re-sodding my yard again. If I can’t kick it this year, I’ll be the only house on the block with a xeriscape. 

On 5/26/2019 at 5:52 PM, Okie Lite in Zapata said:

Nut is correct, the guy who sprays pre and post for me stopped by this morning and treated the entire yard.  He says it is pretty bad this year in the area. 

On 5/20/2019 at 12:20 PM, drt said:

Any strong feelings on strains of St. Augustine?  I'm going to resod the back yard (fairly shaded) and parts of the front (shaded, but less than the back).

Currently at King Ranch turfgrass in South Austin Amerishade is $255/pallet, Floratam is $195, and Raleigh is $165.  We have a fairly clay heavy soil if it makes any difference.

Buehler? 

Also, Roundup still preferred herbicide for unwanted Crepe Myrtle?

I've got a st augustine lawn. I put some pendimethalin from scotts down in late march. The chart recommends another application around now. Should I mix it up with a different pre-emergent (like Dithiopyr) or just use pendimethalin again?

I used trimec I sourced from tractor supply on my SA Bermuda about 1 month ago. It killed the weeds but it took about a week and a half to kill the weeds and clover. I’m starting to see them peaking back in but I’m worried that it’s too soon for reapplication. Thoughts?

Also from tractor supply, I sprayed bifen 7.9% along backyard fence line (shared with empty lot that butts up to green Belt). Over the last week, I’d say it’s been a noticeable difference in backyard mosquitoes.

• Like 1

I'm on the fuck grass bandwagon...  I need to have the entire sprinkler system redone..yeah!

I have been working on an unused space that faces SW and is basically a sun-blasted hellscape.  I'm in Hardiness Zone 10b. The plan is to do an Italian inspired / butterfly garden area minuses the gratuitous statuary.  Who wants to be looking at dongs all the time?   

My problem is that Tuscany is along the same latitude as Oregon...  so a bunch of the stuff I want just won't survive and I need to find subtropical analogs.  I have a pool area with Coconut palms, Frangipani, Bird of Paradise, and orchids, ...etc so I want to have a real separation in motifs.   The only exception will be a large shade tree to soak some of that solar power so everything doesn't fry.  To that end I have a Poinciana planted that will give some dappled light and hopefully not wreck the garden vibe.

The goal:  Flowering/fragrant natural style garden (41'x24' rectangle)

The plan:

• Green out the fence walls with Confederate Jasmine...  One side is mature and when it blooms it's so damned good
  • Mix in some Honey Suckle along the fence in the far corner to round out that hard 90*
  • Ficus repens to cover the west facing house wall
  • Red Mandaville on the  a Garden Arch/arbor leading in the garden from the side yard
  • Pink Mandaville vining up the Poinciana trunk to make it a focal point instead of a grey trunk
  • Sweet Almond, button Gardenia for fragrance
  • Purslane/Portulaca for vivid color / bonus hard to kill
  • Build a Garden door from Pool area to garden (already found a funky old 36" solid wood door with crystal glass that actually seems too nice to use...  It's at least 100#s without hardware)  Bulk trash holla!
  • Rock/flag stone path from side yard (arbor) to Garden door (pool area)
  • Just add lights and wine.... and deet... lots and fucking lots of bug spray

Just need to round out some ground cover type flowering plants in the mix that won't end up just looking like a bushy mess or get baked.  

On 6/1/2019 at 8:47 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

While I always appreciate and commonly reference the "how do I deal with this issue or that issue" posts, let's share some bad ass lawns and landscapes.  With all the rain this year, we gotta have some lawn pron.  I'll start.

IMG-1406.jpg

Rain and these moderate temp / high humidity situations are wreaking havoc on my 18 mo bermuda lawn.  I've had rust/red thread and leaf spot now in the backyard.  Been running through the rotation of fungicide apps for the past month and still have traces around front and lots in back.  Luckily - fungicide is cheaper than watering this motherfucker so there's that.  Post fungi spray and edging this past weekend - height of cut at 1.5"  You can see the darker areas where the fungi started spreading and I had to put the smack down.

imgur>

Edited by krevo

On 6/1/2019 at 8:47 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

While I always appreciate and commonly reference the "how do I deal with this issue or that issue" posts, let's share some bad ass lawns and landscapes.  With all the rain this year, we gotta have some lawn pron.  I'll start.

IMG-1406.jpg

Looking good Smails. What are the plants under the oaks? 

Edited by Anastasis

@Anastasis I've had trouble with plants under those "islands".  Nothing seems to do well.  Even the "deer resistant" plants seem to take a beating.  I think the root system is close to the surface there, so nothing really takes hold like it does adjacent to the house.  I really wanted something low and full.  Just planted some Purple Lantana to see if that would take off.  In that picture, I think you can see some Salvia, Creeping Rosemary, and Mexican Mint Marigold.  The pale green plant in the far island is Lambs Ear.  It's blooming for the first time this year.  Pretty cool plant.

On 5/20/2019 at 12:20 PM, drt said:

I've got the same issue but have been unsuccessful in getting the SA to take root over the past few years.  I'm thinking just too much shade (needs a minimum of 6 hrs of sun I think).  I've seeded some fescue along the N side of the foundation and it has done quite well over 2 seasons.  What are the thoughts fescue?  For reference, I'm in far North Dallas.

Ya I ended up just going with Raleigh as Floratam apparently doesn't do well with any shade, and couldn't justify the extra cost for Amerishade around a house we might outgrow in a year or two.  We'll see how it goes, I need to trim some limbs in the back as well so maybe that'll help.  Also I'm tilling in some compost as the soil sucks currently.

On 6/6/2019 at 2:07 PM, chikin23 said:

Damn reel mower is all messed up. Sharpened the blades but can't get it to cut smoothly.

There should be a way you can set the bed knife/blade contact and then do a paper cut test while turning the reel with your hand.  I think the bedknife to reel contact is actually more important than the blades being sharp.  If it's a cheaper model of reel mower (California Trimmer, Tru Cut, etc)  they all use lower quality steel that is softer than you'd find on a higher end greens mower.  Okay for residential use but kind of a pain in the ass to adjust/maintain.

Anybody used MSM in their yard?  I have heard it's a good way to kill bahia, but won't hurt St Augustine or Bermuda.  I have read you need to mix it with a surfactant to make it stick better.  I never knew that was a thing.

My St Augustine ( cultivar unknown) is really starting to thin out under the canopies of several of my mature pecan trees. As mentioned above, my primary suspect is too much shade. Wife doesn’t want the pecan trees thinned or limbed up, so I just put in 144 plugs of palmetto st Augustine. I put them in a range of conditions from almost full sun to full shade. We will see how it performs. Online, palmetto reads as being one of the better shade tolerant varieties.

How much direct sunlight do the spots get?  I planted some last year in a shady spot in the backyard and it was not doing well until I had a couple of trees trimmed.  Then it took off.

Edited by kevwun

Probably already covered but can't find it.  Is there some magical bullet that will take care of bermuda grass in flower beds without killing the plants?  Just had two flower beds built and filled with rock so mulch isn't the answer.  One bed is butterfly iris and pittosporum and the other flower bed has sego palms, a Mexican fantail, salvia and gulf coast muhly grass.

On 6/11/2019 at 10:19 AM, kevwun said:

Anybody used MSM in their yard?  I have heard it's a good way to kill bahia, but won't hurt St Augustine or Bermuda.  I have read you need to mix it with a surfactant to make it stick better.  I never knew that was a thing.

Not trying to tell you what's right or wrong - but MSM isn't approved for residential turf.  (something about organic arsenic becoming inorganic arsenic)  It is a straight up fucking killer of dallisgrass / crab etc.  I believe it's not even approved for golf courses anymore.  Only roadsides and select places where runoff is controlled.   Also - when apply any herbicide - surfactant will help it adhere/strip away the waxy exterior of the weed you're trying to kill.  I always use it in any herbicide app whether spot treating or blanket apps.

Fast forward to two weeks of curative application of propiconazole / azoxystrobin for red thread/rust/brown patch and what looked like gray leaf spot in the back yard.  I treated two weeks ago and then again this past weekend.  Also - dethatched the bad areas not realizing just how bad the thatch was contributing to the fungal issues.

This is a few days ago at dusk.  Had to increase the lighting of the image a bit because it was almost dark out.  Approx 1" height of cut Tifway 419

pcWwHVC.jpg

Edited by krevo

Just had a tree taken out in my front yard (almost dead oak - just moved in, not sure what it died from). Ground down the stump and instead of taking those chunks, they left them. In the past, I’ve had tree guys take all that, then I’ve backfilled with dirt and then sod over top. Can I just lay sod over that?

I thought I read somewhere it’s best to get it out.