Bad Times at the El Royale

Still not out?  

EDIT I suppose not this week.  It looks to be a good lineup next week:

Opening This Week - October 5 

Venom (2018) Poster

Venom (2018)

Certificate PG-13 112 min   -   Action | Horror | Sci-Fi | Thriller

When Eddie Brock acquires the powers of a symbiote, he will have to release his alter-ego "Venom" to save his life.
Director:
 Ruben Fleischer
Watch Trailer Add to Watchlist Get Tickets
A Star Is Born (2018) Poster

A Star Is Born (2018)

Certificate R 135 min   -   Drama | Music | Romance

87 Metascore
A musician helps a young singer and actress find fame, even as age and alcoholism send his own career into a downward spiral.
Director:
 Bradley Cooper
The Hate U Give (2018) Poster

The Hate U Give (2018)

Certificate PG-13 132 min   -   Crime | Drama

81 Metascore
Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Now, facing pressures from all sides of the community, Starr must find her voice and stand up for what's right.
Director:
 George Tillman Jr.
The Happy Prince (2018) Poster

The Happy Prince (2018) - [Limited]

Certificate R 105 min   -   Drama | History

67 Metascore
The untold story of the last days in the tragic times of Oscar Wilde, a person who observes his own failure with ironic distance and regards the difficulties that beset his life with detachment and humor.
Director:
 Rupert Everett
Watch Trailer Add to Watchlist
Over the Limit (2017) Poster

Over the Limit (2017) - [Limited - Opens 10/3]

74 min   -   Documentary | Sport

An intimate portrait of the world's most outstanding rhythmic gymnast Margarita Mamun who needs to overcome mental fragility to take part in the Olympic Games.
Director:
 Marta Prus
Add to Watchlist
Heavy Trip (2018) Poster

Heavy Trip (2018) - [Limited]

92 min   -   Comedy | Music

Turo (25) is trying to overcome his fears by leading the most unknown heavy metal band in Finland, Impaled Rektum, to the hottest metal festival of Norway. The journey includes heavy metal, grave robbing, Viking heaven and an armed conflict between Finland and Norway.
Directors:
 Juuso Laatio | Jukka Vidgren
Loving Pablo (2017) Poster

Loving Pablo (2017) - [Limited]

Certificate R 123 min   -   Biography | Crime | Drama

41 Metascore
A journalist strikes up a romantic relationship with notorious drug lord Pablo Escobar.
Shine (2017) Poster

Shine (2017) - [Limited]

Certificate R 95 min   -   Drama | Music

Two Puerto Rican brothers from New York's Spanish Harlem and the street's best Salsa dancers, are separated after a tragedy only to reunite years later on opposing sides of gentrification.
Director:
 Anthony Nardolillo
Studio 54 (2018) Poster

Studio 54 (2018) - [Limited]

98 min   -   Documentary

Studio 54 was the epicenter of 70s hedonism--a place that not only redefined the nightclub, but also came to symbolize an entire era. Its co-owners, Ian Schrager and Steve Rubell, two friends from Brooklyn, seemed to come out of nowhere to suddenly preside over a new kind of New York society. Now, 39 years after the velvet rope was first slung across the club's hallowed threshold, a feature documentary tells the real story behind the greatest club of all time.
Director:
 Matt Tyrnauer
Stavisky... (1974) Poster

Stavisky... (1974) - [Re-release]

Certificate PG 120 min   -   Biography | Drama

Irrestisible charm and talent helps Serge Alexandre alias Stavisky, small-time swindler, to make friends with even most influential members of French industrial and political elite during the early 30s. But nothing lasts forever and when his great scam involving hundreds millions of francs gets exposed result is an unprecedented scandal that almost caused a civil war.
Director:
 Alain Resnais
Add to Watchlist
Chasing the Blues (2017) Poster

Chasing the Blues (2017) - [Limited]

77 min   -   Comedy

Two rival record collectors attempt to con an old lady out of a rare, but cursed, 1930s Blues record. When a series of unfortunate circumstances lands them in jail, the feud festers for over twenty years until they are released from prison and get a second chance at snagging the vinyl, this time from a more formidable foe.
Director:
 Scott Smith

• 2 weeks later...

My wife left with 40 mins left because the dementia angle hit close to home and the violence got too real. Luckily we walk to the movies so that didn’t end the evening.
At the end, my 12 year old daughter declared “instant classic”, and my older daughter (15) said “that was really fun”.
Takeaway: I need to make my kids watch Pulp Fiction

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/14/2018 at 7:59 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

My wife left with 40 mins left because the dementia angle hit close to home and the violence got too real. Luckily we walk to the movies so that didn’t end the evening.
At the end, my 12 year old daughter declared “instant classic”, and my older daughter (15) said “that was really fun”.

I see Dan McDowell posts here

On 10/14/2018 at 8:59 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Preparing to get lashed but same here. Completely lost interest when the cult leader showed up and just started doing other stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just watched it on a flight. Definitely had shades of The Hateful 8 (which I really enjoyed) plus a little of Four Rooms, so I suppose I agree that it's Tarantino-esque. 

Who did you all assume was on the film? I somehow came to the conclusion that it was either JFK or MLK.

Nothing poignant to add, but echo that it's worth a watch. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2019 at 2:11 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Just watched it on a flight. Definitely had shades of The Hateful 8 (which I really enjoyed) plus a little of Four Rooms, so I suppose I agree that it's Tarantino-esque. 

Who did you all assume was on the film? I somehow came to the conclusion that it was either JFK or MLK.

Nothing poignant to add, but echo that it's worth a watch. 

It was set in 1969. Unless it's zombie JFK or MLK that's a no. I don't think it's any real politician. Just a fictional one. 

• Fuck You 1

• 1 month later...

Avoided the thread because I didn't want any spoilers. Just finished watching and I give it an 8/10.

Struck me as a Tarantino/Coen Brothers mashup that tried a little too hard to be a Tarantino/Coen Brothers mashup. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it needed a little more polish on the script.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2019 at 10:26 PM, RPM said:

Avoided the thread because I didn't want any spoilers. Just finished watching and I give it an 8/10.

Struck me as a Tarantino/Coen Brothers mashup that tried a little too hard to be a Tarantino/Coen Brothers mashup. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it needed a little more polish on the script.

My thoughts exactly, it had up and down moments I thought but it was a good watch.

On 6/2/2019 at 12:29 AM, Lobo said:

Didn’t Miles all but say the guy on the film was a senator?   

I think he was talking about another one of the ones he filmed and sent back. I imagine the mob was who he was sending the recordings. I assumed it was JFK on the film he kept. If it was a senator, probably Bobby.

1 hour ago, bamachine said:

I think he was talking about another one of the ones he filmed and sent back. 

Correct. He was not talking about the film, but about stuff he had seen. Everything implied the film was another politician, which meant likely a Kennedy.

Another thing I wanted to mention was how much I disliked Chris Helmsworth's character. I'm not sure if that means he's a great actor or if I just hate Chris Helmsworth. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/4/2019 at 1:33 AM, bamachine said:

I think he was talking about another one of the ones he filmed and sent back. I imagine the mob was who he was sending the recordings. I assumed it was JFK on the film he kept. If it was a senator, probably Bobby.

Geez louise.

Spoiler

The whole reason Hamm was there, and reporting to Hoover, was to recover the surveillance equipment.  The "managers" were Hoover/FBI, possibly acting on behalf of or in concert with Nixon.  Also there was "but that was before the election," that implicated Nixon. 

The timing and the "senator" and "election" might well indicate RFK.

Not that any of this matters, but the conspiratorial signposts were pretty clear.

Agree with those saying it started strong to very strong and fell off a bit toward the end.  Thought Pullman's kid showed some promise.

Edited by TwiceHorn