• Braves over Dodgers in 7
  • Astros over Indians in 6
  • Red Sox over A’s in 6

LCS:

• Brewers over Braves in 6
  • Astros over Red Sox in 7

World Series:

•  Astros over Brewers in 5

(Except for the WC games, I doubt I’ll get any of these exactly right. And I’m not even that confident in my WC picks.) 

34 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

this part seems particularly unlikely

Yeah. I live about 10 miles from the Braves’ stadium but have never been inside it and don’t really even follow the team. (Still an Astros guy after 34 years in Georgia.)My stepson is a Braves fan, though, so I’m pulling for them. Or maybe just pulling against LA. 

As for the others, who knows? It’s October, so everything in MLB is up for debate. 

3 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

was just referring to your number of games predictions since the LDS are best of 5.

Ah... good catch. Suppose that’s what I get for posting before that second cup of coffee. 

As for the winners and losers, guess I’ll stick with what I predicted, no matter how many games they end up playing. 

A's over Yanks. 

Cubs over Rockies. 

Division Series:

• Brewers over Cubs in 5
  • Dodgers over Braves in 3
  • Astros over Indians in 5
  • Red Sox over A's in 4

LCS:

• Dodgers over Brewers in 6
  • Red Sox over Astros in 7

World Series:

• Red Sox over Dodgers in 6.  Sometimes ya gotta play hurt. 
  • Like 1

I'll throw shit at the wall and see if it sticks 

WC:

A's over Yankees

Rockies over Cubs

DS:

Brewers over Rockies in 4

Dodgers over Braves in 4

A's over Red Sox in 5

Astros over Indians in 3 

LCS:

Brewers over Dodgers in 7

Astros over A's in 6

WS:

Astros over Brewers in 5 

• Like 1

Yankees over Red Sox in 4

Indians over Astros in 4

Brewers over Rockies in 5

Dodgers over Braves in 3

Indians over Yankees in 7

Dodgers over Brewers in 6

Indians over Dodgers in 7

Picking the Indians because I believe they have the best group of starters in the playoffs, and Lindor-Ramirez-Donaldson-Brantley-Edwin top of the order is also best in the playoffs. Their bullpen will blow a few games though 

Love playoff baseball

WC:

A's over Yankees

Cubs over Rockies

DS:

Brewers over Cubs in 5

Dodgers over Braves in 3

A's over Red Sox in 5

Indians over Astros in 5 

LCS:

Brewers over Dodgers in 7

Indians over A's in 6

WS:

Indians over Brewers in 6 

Wild Cards:

Cubs over Rickies

A's over Yankees

NLDS:

Cubs over Brewers in 4 (Wrigley North wakes the bats)

Dodgers over Braves in 5

ALDS:

Boston over A's in 4

Astros over Indians in 4

NLCS:

Cubs over Dodgers in 6

Boston over Houston in 7

WS:

Boston over Cubs in 5

22 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I love predictions from ranger fans. They definitely played out like last year so I invite flagship to continue his picks against the Astros every round like he did last year. 

Astros over dodgers in 6

Anyone picking the Astros is betting against history. There’s a reason few teams repeat

47 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Picking the Indians because I believe they have the best group of starters in the playoffs, and Lindor-Ramirez-Donaldson-Brantley-Edwin top of the order is also best in the playoffs. Their bullpen will blow a few games though 

i'm not saying the indians won't win the division series, or the world series.  but if the above is true (and it might be), then what is the theory on why they were pretty average compared to all the other al playoff teams?  they won 91 in the worst division in baseball, and were healthy for the most part.  i know their bullpen sucks, but is that a 10+ game deficiency?

i would also argue that betts-benintendi-jdm-bogearts is better.  so is a healthy astros 1-5, but who knows with correa.

I wouldn’t say they were pretty average, they had a +170 run differential which was just behind the Yankees. They also have had Donaldson for only a month, and gave 19 starts to Plutko/Tomlin who won’t factor in the playoffs. I do wonder if not being challenged caused them to be complacent though.

Agreed that the Red Sox top 4 is right there. I like EE over Moreland/Devers however

i said they were pretty average next to the other al playoff teams.  they finished 17 games back of boston.  12 back of houston.  9 back of new york.  this while playing 75 games vs detroit/kc/cws/minny.  which also explains their solid differential.

i only ask because i'm having a similar conversation with a buddy who's an indians fan.  his explanation is timing, slumps, and weird unluckiness, but i'm not sure that's the case.  i think ramirez and lindor have been very streaky (and pretty cold lately), and who knows what we'll see out of donaldson.

19 starts to plutko and tomlin?  that's your explanation?  come on.

Cubs over Rockies in 6.

Yankees over A's in 7. 

Hey to Gut Wagon.

Astros over Indians in 3.

Red Sox over Yankees in 5.

Brewers over Cubs in 5.

Braves over Dodgers in 4.

Red Sox over Astros in 7.

Braves over Brewers in 5.

Red Sox over Braves in 4.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i said they were pretty average next to the other al playoff teams.  they finished 17 games back of boston.  12 back of houston.  9 back of new york.  this while playing 75 games vs detroit/kc/cws/minny.  which also explains their solid differential.

i only ask because i'm having a similar conversation with a buddy who's an indians fan.  his explanation is timing, slumps, and weird unluckiness, but i'm not sure that's the case.  i think ramirez and lindor have been very streaky (and pretty cold lately), and who knows what we'll see out of donaldson.

19 starts to plutko and tomlin?  that's your explanation?  come on.

91 wins is still nothing to sneeze at, even if it’s not the 100+ wins everyone else has.

I truly think there is a mental aspect to being locked into the 3 seed for almost the entire season and not having much to play for. But talent wise, there’s no question their playoff roster is just as good as the other AL teams. 

20 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Lol. Come on man.

yeah.  the 2017 indians were screwing around in the same exact spot after 100-110 games or so, but then decided to play for something, went crazy and got the 1 seed.  with the talent disparity and the scheduling, there's got to be some reason the indians don't have a better record, and i don't think complacency is it.  if they're not mentally tough enough, that's not a good sign heading into the postseason.

27 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

yeah.  the 2017 indians were screwing around in the same exact spot after 100-110 games or so, but then decided to play for something, went crazy and got the 1 seed.  with the talent disparity and the scheduling, there's got to be some reason the indians don't have a better record, and i don't think complacency is it.  if they're not mentally tough enough, that's not a good sign heading into the postseason.

Is bad luck a good reason? It’s baseball, weird shit happens. The 2016 Rangers won 95 games with a +8 run differential for example. Sometimes you can’t explain it.

1 hour ago, TheFlagship said:

Is bad luck a good reason? It’s baseball, weird shit happens. The 2016 Rangers won 95 games with a +8 run differential for example. Sometimes you can’t explain it.

The Indians' third order winning percentage is about the same as their actual winning percentage.  So, no, they weren't unlucky.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/standings/

i would say "unlucky" is a reason, but i don't exactly know what goes into that.  they were 22-24 in one-run games.  of course the astros were 24-24 for whatever that's worth.  the a's were 31-14. 

i only bring that stat up because i know a few years ago when the rangers were "lucky" they were crazy in one-run games.

if cleveland can split in houston, it's anybody's series.  but they need to split, or they're fucked.  they''ve had some major postseason collapses the last couple years, and i wonder at this point how much is mental.

boston and cleveland haven't had to play meaningful baseball in a month.  i'm interested to see if that plays into the division series. 

On 10/2/2018 at 11:24 AM, TheFlagship said:

Yankees over Red Sox in 4

Indians over Astros in 4

Brewers over Rockies in 5

Dodgers over Braves in 3

Indians over Yankees in 7

Dodgers over Brewers in 6

Indians over Dodgers in 7

Nice pick

• Like 2

Flagship continues his horrific predictions.  

Anyone picking the Indians to do jack shit in these playoffs is a freaking moron.   They were the smartest retard and would've finished behind 3 other teams if they played all their games in the AL West of AL East

On 10/2/2018 at 12:24 PM, TheFlagship said:

Well that worked out.

Flagship, as usual, shits on Houston and is dead wrong.  

On 10/2/2018 at 9:24 AM, TheFlagship said:

this opinion comes from just looking at stats and not watching these guys or how the team has been up and down throughout the season.  yeah, the bullpen has been rough, but a lot of their offensive stars went dormant the last 6 weeks, and it caught up with them.  anyone can pound shitty teams, get a good differential, and put up stats.  they barely scored outside of lindor's 2 solo shots the last 3 games.

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

this opinion comes from just looking at stats and not watching these guys or how the team has been up and down throughout the season.  yeah, the bullpen has been rough, but a lot of their offensive stars went dormant the last 6 weeks, and it caught up with them.  anyone can pound shitty teams, get a good differential, and put up stats.  they barely scored outside of lindor's 2 solo shots the last 3 games.

I watched plenty of the Indians this year dude. Lindor and Ramirez are ballers and their pitching was legit. They’re a good team, and would be favorites in the NL. Unfortunately for them, the Astros pitching is unreal right now and Springer and Marwin had good ABs after relatively poor regular seasons. And Bregman is obviously insane. Congrats to them. May even pick them to win the next round!

I watched plenty of the Indians this year dude. Lindor and Ramirez are ballers and their pitching was legit. They’re a good team, and would be favorites in the NL. Unfortunately for them, the Astros pitching is unreal right now and Springer and Marwin had good ABs after relatively poor regular seasons. And Bregman is obviously insane. Congrats to them. May even pick them to win the next round!
Which division would the Indians have won in the NL?