MNF: Chiefs @ Broncos

Machinator

what's fucking crazy is that at one point in time, kliff had mahomes, davis webb, and baker mayfield on the same team.  2 are playing on nfl teams.  webb was highly drafted and is on a scout team.  

so kliff is the jeff fisher of college football?

Edited by crash_davis

Just now, crash_davis said:

what's fucking crazy is that at one point in time, kliff had mahomes, david webb, and baker mayfield on the same team.  2 are playing on nfl teams.  webb was highly drafted and is on a scout team.  

so kliff is the jeff fisher of college football?

Mahomes was never on the same team as Mayfield.  He was in high school during Mayfield's one year at Tech.

1 minute ago, Dirk X West said:

Harrell had two future NFL O-lineman playing in front of him, but the thing you'd notice if you actually watched the games instead dismissing anyone who puts up gaudy stats as "another system QB" is physique and arm strength.  

I get what you're saying but let's not act like Mahomes was some surefire thing that anyone who paid attention could figure out.  "Physique and arm strength" is something scouts always talk about with the next sure thing QB that inevitably flames out.  There's a list a mile long of guys that have a "cannon" for an arm and don't do dick in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

I get what you're saying but let's not act like Mahomes was some surefire thing that anyone who paid attention could figure out.  "Physique and arm strength" is something scouts always talk about with the next sure thing QB that inevitably flames out.  There's a list a mile long of guys that have a "cannon" for an arm and don't do dick in the NFL.

Sure, but my point is Harrell (and Kliff, Cumbie, etc.) didn't have a cannon arm.  A lot of guys who flame out have great physical attributes, but nothing else.  Harrell had everything but the arm and physique.  

Edited by Dirk X West

9 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

You're right.  I don't really watch Tech play.

I just know Graham Harrell threw for 5k yards at Tech and then went on to complete all of 2 passes in the NFL.  Guys like Doege and Potts could put up 4k+ yards and complete near 70% of their passes in the Air Raid offense.  And I doubt their O-lines were world beaters (maybe just better at holding, amirite?).  And Tech's defense always sucks.

I wish Mahomes all the best.  I harped for years while DJ/Jamaal were on the Chiefs about how Alex Smith wasn't going to get them anywhere.  Glad Reid finally found his guy.  Just wish the UT guys were around to benefit from it.

That’s fair.

Mahomes is a waaaaaay different player from all of those guys, with unmatched armstrength and huge ‘it’ factor when the ball is snapped. Harrell was a great college QB, but obviously didn’t have the stuff to play at the next level. Potts had the big arm and was smart too, but he wasn’t a game changer like Mahomes.

At risk of derailing the thread, I’ll say this anyway... for all of the excuses and accusations of why Baker Mayfield left Tech, Patrick Mahomes’ emminent arrival was absolutely a contributing factor.  I think both guys are still trying to prove they were the right choice, for different reasons, of course.  We, the fans, win in the end because of it.

The thing I've been pleased to see with Mahomes is that he's obviously letting himself be coached and playing under control.  I didn't know if he could or would do that.  He looks like a far better QB now than at Tech.  One thing I'm beginning to realize about Kliff is that while his ability to scout QB talent is pretty impressive, his ability to actually coach them up might be a little overrated.

1 minute ago, Dirk X West said:

The thing I've been pleased to see with Mahomes is that he's obviously letting himself be coached and playing under control.  I didn't know if he could or would do that.  He looks like a far better QB now than at Tech.  One thing I'm beginning to realize about Kliff is that while his ability to scout QB talent is pretty impressive, his ability to actually coach them up might be a little overrated.

Flip side of that is that Andy Reid is one of the best QB developers in football.

Yeah, great teacher...and surrounded by badass weapons.  My biggest concern was KC OL...then I shrugged, F It, he mastered running for his life at Tech.  he’s got this.

My biggest take from last night was when KC scored to make 23-20 and Mahomes was laughing it up and enjoying the moment with his teammates. Then the camera pans over and you see Andy Reid walking towards Mahomes and both take a seat on the bench. Mahomes grins turn serious and they were probably reviewing that last sequence and what he missed on that scoring drive. 

As mentioned above, Mahomes is allowing himself to be coached up.

15 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i got slorched for asking this last night.

que???

I pretty much lambasted our own program for what Mahomes had to overcome, speaking to the o-line shittiness and defensive lack of anything.  Kingsbury's results with the QB are pretty much unquestioned.  Funny thing though, it's a team sport and having a great QB only gets you so far.

If i took a shot at you, i don't recall, but offer an apology. i distinctly remember 3 different douchetards taking shots at Mahomes/ Tech during the thread.  It was minimal, as is usually the case around here.

Edited by slorch

chefs = not aggy
browns = aggy
Chiefs are pretty Aggy when they get to the playoffs. Blew a 17pt lead last year and that 30 something point lead to the Colts some years back. I can't remember if it was a bigger deficit than the Bills Oilers game but if it wasn't, it was second. Not to mention they haven't won a home playoff game in some decades.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
23 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:
chefs = not aggy
browns = aggy

Chiefs are pretty Aggy when they get to the playoffs. Blew a 17pt lead last year and that 30 something point lead to the Colts some years back. I can't remember if it was a bigger deficit than the Bills Oilers game but if it wasn't, it was second. Not to mention they haven't won a home playoff game in some decades.

aggy blows leads and craters in the regular season

blowU craters and blows leads deep in the post season

chefs craters and blows leads when they get to the post season

but the chefs have been relevant for more than half their life

aggy is relevant once every 25 years, when they cheat

aggy blows leads and craters in the regular season
blowU craters and blows leads deep in the post season
chefs craters and blows leads when they get to the post season
but the chefs have been relevant for more than half their life
aggy is relevant once every 25 years, when they cheat
No, you're definitely right. I get the Chiefs actually have enough success to get to the playoffs consistently. So yes, they'd be more comparable to OU in that regards. But I still prefer the term Aggy. Just has a certain ring to it haha.