Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

I stopped by Cookshack on the way home from watching the Cowboys dominate. 

Pretty good. I got the medium chicken sandwich and sweet potato fries. $10. So a little more than a fast food joint (granted, without a soft drink) but way better. Just your basic freshly fried chicken breast with slaw and pickles on the sandwich. 

Medium has imo the perfect amount of heat. If you're a pussy, dial it down. 

Will eat there again. 

Guy that had the trailer at Lola’s before Dayne passed away. 

Barbecue pitmaster Buddy Haga, who turned a dilapidated Bedford convenience store into a 4-star barbecue stand that catered for Don Henley and other touring acts, has died after a short illness, according to comments by friends and family on Facebook.

Haga, 54, was known for slow-smoked, meltaway soft brisket and ribs that won contests before he took over the grill and counter in what used to be the Big Easy Discount Mart on Brown Trail.

A Hurst native, Haga rallied support from a large network of friends and eventually took over the entire store as Buddy’s BBQ. But he tired of the convenience store business of cigs-and-beer sales and closed, saying he would reopen his own restaurant.

He opened a Fort Worth stand for several months this spring at Lola’s Saloon, now home of Dayne’s Craft Barbecue.

Haga was first profiled in the Star-Telegram in 2016 just when small, local craft barbecue operators were starting to draw attention.

In 2017, Buddy’s was voted “best barbecue” by Star-Telegram readers.

In 2018, we visited again for his “Zeke” sandwich, named for the Dallas Cowboys’ Zeke Elliott. It featured brisket, pulled pork, pork ribs, sausage and bologna piled high.

At Henley’s concert in Dallas, he mentioned onstage that he liked Buddy’s BBQ. Haga said a customer was asked to help line up barbecue for a Henley event and ordered from Haga.

His store was also known for clever signs and promotions. In the steamy summer of 2018, he offered “Today’s Special — Free 5 Minutes In The Walk-In Freezer With Any Purchase.”.

Haga was diagnosed about three weeks ago and died Saturday night, according to family members’ posts.

Sucks about Flores, it was my favorite spot in the Fort. I do like some Dayne's though. I saw that BBQ on the Brazos is doing work on the building. I also read that Smiley's Craft BBQ closed up their trailer and will be coming to the Fort Worth soon.

2 hours ago, dmtx said:

Sucks about Flores, it was my favorite spot in the Fort. I do like some Dayne's though. I saw that BBQ on the Brazos is doing work on the building. I also read that Smiley's Craft BBQ closed up their trailer and will be coming to the Fort Worth soon.

Smiley's is good but that odd location on 156 in Ponder is probably not enough traffic.  Had 407BBQ in Argyle last week.  I don't know who the hell voted them No. 1 in DFW but it's a slight step up from Dickey's.  The moist brisket was flavorless, the turkey was edible and the sausage was just OK.

They totally fucked those places by having all that construction all around those storefronts right after they opened. 

I mean, they probably would have closed anyway but it certainly didn't help. 

I never saw more than 6 people in Barrel and Bones. The Cajun place wasn't awful foodwise, but I don't think they made very good hires for bar staff. 

3 hours ago, TornACL said:

They totally fucked those places by having all that construction all around those storefronts right after they opened. 

I mean, they probably would have closed anyway but it certainly didn't help. 

I never saw more than 6 people in Barrel and Bones. The Cajun place wasn't awful foodwise, but I don't think they made very good hires for bar staff. 

Seriously meh on both locations.  Next up!

On 8/27/2019 at 10:17 PM, DeepEastTexas said:

Where did y’all end up last Thursday? 

Whoops, sorry for missing this.  Actually the event is later this month.  Long story short is that, for a variety of reasons, they decided to move this event to the H-E-B area.  That said, thanks to the suggestions on this thread and my subsequent research, we’ll have another event in Fort Worth proper once the weather turns cooler.  Really like some of the outdoor options.

16 hours ago, pch said:

Seriously meh on both locations.  Next up!

Yeah I tried out both places once and was underwhelmed both times.  The cajun place seemed like a cheesy themed bar in the New Orleans Restaurant, the BBQ one belonged in the Memphis airport.

A Pluckers would kill there

Edited by Angry Gorilla
  • Like 1

Here’s all of them. 

Nine restaurants have opened and closed in a north corner of Montgomery Plaza, enough to make that space the Bermuda Triangle of West 7th dining.

Barrel & Bones Craft Bar and Smokehouse and neighbor Bourbon Street Oyster Bar gave up this week, the eighth and ninth restaurants to close in the same space in 11 years, even while neighboring restaurants have thrived.

Maybe you remember the Fort Worth location of Mac’s Steak & Seafood, Deluxe Bar & Grill, Monty’s Corner, Bite City Grill, King Crab Tap House, M Bistro or Honey Smoke Pit.

All have come and gone since 2008, the last eight restaurants each lasting only a year on average in what has become a classic “jinxed” location.

Speaking of Mac’s, anyone ever eat at the one on 20 out in Arlington? Heard it’s pretty damn good, been there forever. 

On 9/11/2019 at 8:32 PM, spystud13 said:

Here’s all of them. 

Speaking of Mac’s, anyone ever eat at the one on 20 Afout in Arlington? Heard it’s pretty damn good, been there forever. 

After the OU game last year.  Three or four times a year and it never disappoints.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

What would y’all say is the best pizza in FW? I tried the search function but it fucking sucks.  

like regular 'ol pizza or a place like fireside pies? Margies used to make a damn good pizza but I haven't been in several years. Slice City was pretty good a couple weeks ago. Mammas and Perrotti's are good local pizza places. 

Fireside Pies is my personal favorite, not just for pizza but also for apps, pasta, drinks, and atmosphere.

Cane Rosso is in your area (Magnolia) and has pretty good pizza but their crust is a little flimsy for me.

For more traditional pizza, I like Slice City Pizza (near Central Market) or Fort Worth Pizzeria (W 7th area).

5 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Partons is my favorite. Their buffet is overpriced now, but their takeout is reasonable.

Mancusso's used to have really good pizza, but I haven't had it in years. 

Yeah, saw Parton's had jacked the price up on the buffet and kept driving. Mama's on Berry or Bryant Irvin are better options.

Went to Gemelle last night for the first time. I like the atmosphere, especially the back area with bocce courts and areas to lounge around. The cocktails were good and they had a Tuscan wine that we like but don’t see many places. The service was good and friendly. All positives there.

That said, the food was just okay. It was far from being an authentic Italian menu, apps were kinda strange and not representative of what we consider Italian. We both had pasta and it was decent but overly spicy to the point of masking the flavors of the sauce. I tolerate spice fairly well on salsa, Asian food, chicken wings, etc. I don’t think pesto sauce should ever be spicy to that level.

I’m sure we’ll go back because it’s close to our house and a good outdoor hangout for nice weather, but I’ll probably try the pizza next time around.

58 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Went to Gemelle last night for the first time. I like the atmosphere, especially the back area with bocce courts and areas to lounge around. The cocktails were good and they had a Tuscan wine that we like but don’t see many places. The service was good and friendly. All positives there.

That said, the food was just okay. It was far from being an authentic Italian menu, apps were kinda strange and not representative of what we consider Italian. We both had pasta and it was decent but overly spicy to the point of masking the flavors of the sauce. I tolerate spice fairly well on salsa, Asian food, chicken wings, etc. I don’t think pesto sauce should ever be spicy to that level.

I’m sure we’ll go back because it’s close to our house and a good outdoor hangout for nice weather, but I’ll probably try the pizza next time around.

Well at least the service has turned for the better

Went to Blaze Pizza for the first time today and I’ll say it was actually pretty decent. Fresh ingredients make a damned big difference. Was a tad on the pricey side but we’ll be going back. $8.99 for basically every topping in the house. Let the wife build ours and we had red sauce, mozzarella, ricotta, meatballs, Canadian bacon, spinach, and she put olives on mine and I was impressed.

On 9/24/2019 at 7:38 PM, fwtxbevo said:

After months of exhaustive research, I have come to the conclusion that the best hamburger in the 817, is the Griffs Double Giant/River Oaks location. That is all. Flame away.

On 9/25/2019 at 9:47 PM, Errestaurants said:

My aunt was the GM of the Griff’s in Haltom City back in the 90s. We went there a lot. Loved the chimichanga. 

Have had the #1 at both locations and have never been disappointed.  Go to the River Oaks location weekly from the Northside.

• Like 1

Went to Swiss Pastry for lunch today. It had been a couple of months. But damn, their cheesesteak sandwich is phenomenal. Then to top it off with the black forest. 

Btw, if you have not had their kouign amman, however it's spelled, great blast item if you like croissants. 

4 hours ago, dmtx said:

Went to Swiss Pastry for lunch today. It had been a couple of months. But damn, their cheesesteak sandwich is phenomenal. Then to top it off with the black forest. 

Btw, if you have not had their kouign amman, however it's spelled, great blast item if you like croissants. 

The black forest will cause you to need a 12 step program-it is so ADDICTIVE!