Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

i went opening weekend so it was a general shit show, but sounds like kids running around is still a thing based on friends reviews as well this past weekend. now that the weather is cool, its got a solid setup in general

Edited by bluto
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TornACL said:

Did Rogers Roundhouse ever get covered in this thread? I am thinking of that as a possible pre-TCU game spot, haven't been to this place yet because of the bizarre location.  

Not doing any tailgating this year and I expect Buff Bros and Univ Pub will be filled with purple dorks. I want some room to breathe and to watch Ohio State Wisconsin and get drunk. Plus the weather looks like it might be decent, and you could Uber a straight shot down Colonial Pkwy and get pretty close to the stadium without dealing with University.

Was gonna ask what people were planning for the game and if there was either a tailgate spot or bar beforehand

On 10/11/2019 at 1:17 PM, NOMAAA said:

happened a few years back.  used to be wesleyan.

man went to panther city bbq again today.  those dudes have it down to a science.  really really good.

Ate a pound of panther city ribs on Friday-gonna do this again this week.  Haven't made it out to Sanford's place on the circle yet, but panther city has my vote as best in FW at present.

18 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Was gonna ask what people were planning for the game and if there was either a tailgate spot or bar beforehand

In 2017 we tailgated, but it was a giant pain in the ass and expense to get the parking passes in the donor lots, in order to have a halfway decent tailgate. The other option is to park a mile away from the stadium, so this year we just said fuck it and will find a bar to get drunk.

The bars along University I'm sure will be hopping by noon but I find the purple clad Frog fans, and particularly their students, more than a little annoying, so I don't know if that scene is going to work for me. 

Strangely enough I don't think the Exes have done anything up here the past couple of games at Amon G. I think they were going to do something in 2015 and then it was just too much of a pain in the ass. 

For 38 years, cold weather has meant gumbo at J&J Oyster Bar.

But the return of wind chills also brings another winter warmer: J&J’s chili.

Chef Angel Mota came over last fall from 16 years at nearby Fred’s Texas Cafe and brought along some of Fred’s laid-back specials and style, particularly the chili and calf fries.

He only makes chili in season, but that season is here. So J&J offers big bowls of beefy Texas red, topped with cheese and fresh jalapenos.

Look, Fort Worth has a history with chili. This is where the first commercial chili powder was packed and sold by Pendery’s.

But today, it’s mighty tough to find a good bowl of chili.

The Kimbell Art Museum’s seasonal chili is good, but it’s only served about once a month in winter.

Dutch’s Hamburgers, M&O Station Grill and HG Sply Co. all serve excellent restaurant chili.

But right now, J&J’s might be best.

If you’re not familiar with J&J Oyster Bar, it’s a daily lunch and dinner stop for grilled or fried seafood.

When it opened in 1981 in an old-timey chrome diner three blocks south, J&J quickly became known for oysters, grilled shrimp, catfish and platters.

Today, J&J is in an equally dilapidated, 50-year-old former Taco Bell. Now, it might be better known for grilled seafood, fish tacos and ceviche tostadas.

In the middle of a gentrified hipster West 7th neighborhood, J&J is a haven for rodeo cowboys, beer drinkers and anyone looking for a menu that does not include avocado toast or spicy chicken.

It’s open for lunch and dinner daily at 612 University Drive, at West Sixth Street; 817-335-2756, jjoysterbar.com.

FYI (no CR), Trump is flying into JRB/Carswell tomorrow morning and will be rollin' around town during the day.  I would expect portions of I-30 to be shut down at some point.

The President will fly into the Naval Air Station JRB this Thursday. There will be a presidential motorcade from NAS JRB into downtown Fort Worth for his first stop. He will be at the City Club in downtown for an event.

After his stop in downtown Fort Worth, the presidential motorcade will travel back to the NAS JRB for a helicopter flight down to Alvarado.

The President will be visiting the Rochambeau Ranch located in the 5500 block of County Road 316 southwest of Alvarado in the afternoon. The ranch is home to Louis Vuitton’s new manufacturing factory for luxury goods.

After his stop at the ranch, the President will be traveling by helicopter up to Dallas Love Field. There he will meet us motorcade to take him to the American Airlines Center for a campaign event. After the campaign event, he will be traveling via motorcade back to Dallas Love Field to leave town.

If you live in the areas mentioned above you can expect heavy police presence and helicopter activity throughout the day on Thursday. There will also be additional motorcades for dignitaries and other important persons to and from airports and the President’s events. It is best to avoid these areas. Please be courteous to motorcades and respect road closures. There will be very heavy police presence at the American Airlines Center on Thursday evening for the President’s campaign event.

Edited by Dr Fear

Have any of you had any experience or luck with NTTA and paying past due fees/fines?

My goddamn TollTag was deactivated, I was surprised to get an invoice in the mail. After some research, including going through the abortion of a website that is NTTA.org, I see that my tag has been deactivated because I owe 257.73.  Apparently back in 2010 (!!) I racked up 7.73 in tolls on a highway when I was in between toll tags, and due to lack of payment 250 in fines have been added. This leads to a number of questions...such as, how was I able to use my existing toll tag account for 9 fucking years before this became an issue and put my account on freeze.

I am inclined to just pay the 7.73 and tell them to get fucked with the 250, but I'm wondering if this works if I talk to a live human being or if I need to go somewhere and put the whole system on trial.

7 hours ago, TornACL said:

I am inclined to just pay the 7.73 and tell them to get fucked with the 250, but I'm wondering if this works if I talk to a live human being or if I need to go somewhere and put the whole system on trial.

Sounds to me that paying the $7.73 in person and asking them to waive the 250.  Your past record of having paid your charges for 9 years should be enough to convince a customer service rep to remove it and restore your right to drive the CTP and other toll roads.  If that doesn't work, ask to see someone who will be reasonable.  Pain in the ass having to try to decipher their worthless website but even more having something from your past from 9 years ago suddenly impact your driving.  Let us know what happens and call if you need bail.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:13 PM, spystud13 said:

Jim Schusler had a great trio at one time-the blues bar on Henderson, the Hideaway on w. 7th, and the oyster bar on university.  Spent many a good night at all of these and the chili at the Oyster Bar is definitely is not to be missed.  The Richlieu Grill in downtown had the best in FW back in the 70's and JJ's is on par with their quality, imho.

2 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Wtf are you serious?

Yea. Took the family there 2 weeks ago and it was hot as shit inside. I made a comment to our server and that's when he told us Headington sold them to Golden Chicken. Said they are cutting back on staff especially at lunch and in turn is making it harder to get dinner service ready.

I also noticed the menu hasn't changed at all in the last couple years and the wine list is of much cheaper choices. Went on friday evening and it was pretty slow.

Yea. Took the family there 2 weeks ago and it was hot as shit inside. I made a comment to our server and that's when he told us Headington sold them to Golden Chicken. Said they are cutting back on staff especially at lunch and in turn is making it harder to get dinner service ready.
I also noticed the menu hasn't changed at all in the last couple years and the wine list is of much cheaper choices. Went on friday evening and it was pretty slow.

So we should probably see some city paperwork posted on the door in a few months?

Had the hand roll sushi place in the Foch shopping center today, pretty good stuff. No effing idea how they survive with Friday lunch crowd consisting of me and 4 other ppl total. (Literally more employees than patrons while I was there)

14 minutes ago, bluto said:

So we should probably see some city paperwork posted on the door in a few months?

Had the hand roll sushi place in the Foch shopping center today, pretty good stuff. No effing idea how they survive with Friday lunch crowd consisting of me and 4 other ppl total. (Literally more employees than patrons while I was there)

Yea I've heard that sushi place is excellent. Need to hit it up but the parking over there is shit. 

Today’s notebook... 

Hey, Bud! We moved to Fort Worth and I can’t find a good Reuben anywhere. Can you help? 

Easy. Come over to south Fort Worth and Carshon’s Delicatessen, open about 90 years and currently at 3133 Cleburne Road south of West Berry Street near TCU. The Reuben is legendary at Carshon’s, one of the oldest kosher-style delis west of the Mississippi River. (But the real legend is the chocolate meringue pie Wednesdays and Saturdays.)

Hey, Bud! Can you tell us what’s going in at the corner of West Seventh Street and University Drive?

Had to think a moment. But Stirr, a Dallas restaurant and cocktail lounge from Deep Ellum, is opening in early 2020 at the corner of Crockett Street and University. It’s the old Kona Grill with a balcony patio, so expect Stirr to have the same patio ambiance as the Dallas location.

Hey, Bud! What do you hear about BBQ on the Brazos reopening? Sure miss them down here in Cresson.

After a few delays, BBQ on the Brazos is booked to open next week on the Benbrook Traffic Circle. (Yes, it’s the Benbrook circle and not the “Weatherford” circle, which was demolished years ago a couple of blocks north at Spur 580.)

Have never been to Carshon’s, need to fix that. 

4 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Today’s notebook... 

Have never been to Carshon’s, need to fix that. 

Do yourself a favor-go on a Saturday, have a Reuben and a slice of the pie of the day, chocolate meringue(the filling is warmed before serving and is the sheeeeeit!!!)

Also love their chili.  Note-cash or checks only.  I have enjoyed the food at Carshon's for thirty years and bet you will be glad when you go.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 11:04 AM, TyphoonSe7en said:
On 10/15/2019 at 7:22 AM, NOMAAA said:
you talking about bbq on the brazos?  not sure its open yet.  anyone know?

The Bud Kennedy post I saw about it said that they were getting close. But it didn't have a date.

BBQ on the Brazos opens Tuesday at 10 am according to Allen Sanford, Pitmaster John Sanford's brother.

• Like 2

Any recs for Indian? I like Thai Select off Hulen but haven’t found a good Indian restaurant yet.
Thai select is good

Now im not going to say its the best but Maharaja off of hulen does have a lunch buffet that is usually solid (south of thai select maybe 2 miles)

Also if thats your neck of the woods ,indians king kitchen on trail lake is also worth a try.

If i dont do the buffet my standard is beef vindaloo and tell them to make it spicy.