Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

54 minutes ago, Bobby Light said:

Looks like perfect weather this weekend for Fortress Fest. The layout looks waaaayyy better than it did last year since they moved it to the new area. I'm going Saturday, anyone else going?

It is on the grass in front of the main entrance to the Rodeo? Not a very large space.

13 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

It is on the grass in front of the main entrance to the Rodeo? Not a very large space.

Yes I think that's where it is. They sent an email with the layout and compared to the cluster it was last year with having to walk so far in between stages, I'll take it

I think this might have come up at the old place, but I can't remember. Anybody use a local coffee roaster in FW?  I guess Avoca sells coffee but are they roasting in house? There's also Buon Giorno near downtown which looks like a coffee shop / roaster. Only other one I can find online is some place Rodak's Coffee Roaster and BBQ Grills, which is so perfectly Fort Worth I feel like I should give them my money on principle alone. Their selection looks a little better than the others. Figured I'd check here before I go shopping.

I've spent a lot of time in the various coffee shops around town. I personally think Avoca's coffee tastes odd, kinda sour or tangy, not quite sure how to describe it. Buon Giorno roasts their beans at their Grapevine location, but I've enjoyed every coffee roast I've had from their FW location. I haven't heard of Rodak's so I'm curious what you find there.

For making coffee at home, I've always bought beans from Central Market. They have a wide selection but I usually end up with one of their house blends or something from Katz.

6 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I've spent a lot of time in the various coffee shops around town. I personally think Avoca's coffee tastes odd, kinda sour or tangy, not quite sure how to describe it. Buon Giorno roasts their beans at their Grapevine location, but I've enjoyed every coffee roast I've had from their FW location. I haven't heard of Rodak's so I'm curious what you find there.

For making coffee at home, I've always bought beans from Central Market. They have a wide selection but I usually end up with one of their house blends or something from Katz.

I really want to like Avoca but their staff are dickheads -- at least at the one in W7th -- and I haven't ever been knocked out by the coffee enough to buy a bag to take home.

I will occasionally pick up some stuff at CM...just wondering how long that shit sits there. I don't know what kind of turnover they have with those giant vats of coffee beans.

Sunday morning I made some coffee and went outside around 1030, just in time to hear Courtney Barnett fire up her soundcheck from Fortress Fest. That was pretty cool, sounded good. I didn't make it out to the actual festival but everything I heard was that it was a success.  

5 hours ago, TornACL said:

Sunday morning I made some coffee and went outside around 1030, just in time to hear Courtney Barnett fire up her soundcheck from Fortress Fest. That was pretty cool, sounded good. I didn't make it out to the actual festival but everything I heard was that it was a success.  

It was dope, the layout was awesome and the sound was incredible. I know they didn't sell out but there was plenty room to enjoy every set without being too crowded. Hope it's back next year.

• 2 weeks later...

So I may be taking a job in Denton in the next month or so. My wife is going to be going to grad school at TCU. Based on my drive from FW for the interview there is not much in between. Any recs for an area to live more on the north side of town? Or should I just suck it up and commute from closer to downtown/university area? Not sure what rush hour traffic is like heading north, but at least I won't have to deal with Houston 290 anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was in Fort Worth for a few days for work, and I must say, the downtown area is pretty cool. Walkable to some good lunch spots. The only knock was the bbq joint riskys was pretty below-average-- I think I'd almost rather have Dickie's-- and the hotels are pretty expensive due to a low supply compared to most cities you'd expect to do business in.

Went to Heim the other day for the first time in a year. Had some burnt ends and was completely underwhelmed. They were covered in an incredibly sweet sauce. Seemed like something that would fit in more at a Kansas City style BBQ joint. The brisket was dry with minimal bark. Probably won't go back unless I'm with other people who really want to go.

On 5/21/2018 at 10:02 AM, hookem2010 said:

So I may be taking a job in Denton in the next month or so. My wife is going to be going to grad school at TCU. Based on my drive from FW for the interview there is not much in between. Any recs for an area to live more on the north side of town? Or should I just suck it up and commute from closer to downtown/university area? Not sure what rush hour traffic is like heading north, but at least I won't have to deal with Houston 290 anymore.

Some pretty nice houses of 35-Yucca. Would give your wife a ~15-20 minute drive to TCU and you probably a 30 minute drive to Denton. 35 is much worse going south between 820 and 30 than it is anywhere else.

The area by Martin House/Top Golf features some potential investment properties. The hipsters that got priced out of Fairmount are migrating towards Haltom. My prediction is that home values in that area will rise

• Like 2

We may only be there for a couple years so at this point we are just looking to rent. Will I be saving myself significant commute time to Denton by living in the Oakhurst area vs getting a place downtown or close to the university? It does look like I would at least be bypassing a few big highway intersections but I have no idea what downtown FW traffic looks like.

7 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

We may only be there for a couple years so at this point we are just looking to rent. Will I be saving myself significant commute time to Denton by living in the Oakhurst area vs getting a place downtown or close to the university? It does look like I would at least be bypassing a few big highway intersections but I have no idea what downtown FW traffic looks like.

Downtown traffic isnt bad at all except between 8-930 and 5-530. Im a UPS driver and I always cut through downtown to get back to the hub (at Northside and 35) rather than get stuck on the highway. The 30-35 interchange is the killer, it stays bright red on google maps until 8pm at earliest. From TCU to Oakhurst is an easy drive though-Yucca turns into Northside then turns into University so probably 10-15 minutes to 35 from the school

• Like 1

Who all is going to The Colonial this week? I’m doing Friday afternoon, Sunday all day, and possibly Saturday. Already have passes. Any other tips?

Making my yearly venture Friday.

My few tips.

If you’re there to watch golf and want to see the most golf possible I suggest going out to the back nine and walking number 10. From 10 green you’re right next to 18 tee, 17 green, 11 tee/fairway, 14 fairway/green, and everything that’s at 13.

13 has become a cluster f over the years but still a good time on Wednesday-Friday. They’ve added corporate shit and bleachers the entire length of that hole. I stay away from there on the weekend.

It also gets pretty crowded around the Clubhouse during the weekend but 16 is cool Par 3 to watch and you’re right by 18.

What’s your parking situation? We have a little hidden spot that is less than a mile walk from the entrance at 15 if you’re interested.

I'm probably going Sunday.  Last year we took Uber to Woodshed, didn't eat or drink anything there (because F Tim Love) and then just walked into Colonial from there. It was super easy. Plus if you imbibe on too many $18 Crown and Cokes, it's easy to do the exact same in reverse to get the hell out of there at the end of the day.

8 hours ago, dmtx said:

Went to Mesero in clearfork. Big props to the queso fundido, chihuahua cheese enchiladas, and their puerco pasilla cocido.

Thanks for the report-wife has been wanting to go there.

Full blown incident last night by my house in Monticello.  Police helicopter was right overhead and 3 cops were going down my street with flashlights looking in back yards.

From Nextdoor:

8:59pm: Police are looking for someone around Williamsburg & Lenox. Helicopters out. Lock up & turn on outdoor lights

An officer just came to our driveway and told everyone to get inside- dogs included.

Caucasian, white T-shirt, long swim shorts/board shorts, two toned baseball cap. Drunk. He was hiding behind trees and running

Green shorts, white T-shirt, ball cap with sunglasses sitting on the brim. About 5’8” tall. White, but very tan, scruffy face, dark eyes. Creepy looking!

Sorry for partying??? 

Edited by Dr Fear