Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

On 12/6/2019 at 1:05 PM, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Went today for lunch.  Thought it was damn good.  Not my favorite in FW but still worth the trip.

Mrs. Allan working the cash register is insane hot.  Might be worth the trip just to see her.

Breakfast now. 

Six months after Derek Allan turned the local craft barbecue scene upside down, he now starts selling brisket at 7 a.m.

Instead of forcing customers into long lines like other restaurants, Derek Allan’s Texas Barbecue opens early to welcome patrons to 1116 Eighth Ave., whether they’re coming for morning tacos and kolaches or for lunch plates.

The new breakfast tacos may be some of the city’s best. From 7 a.m. to 10:30, Allan’s serves pulled pork tacos with a jalapeno jam, egg and cheese, or other kinds like sausage-egg-and-cheese or brisket-egg-and-cheese.

Allan also serves brisket or pork kolaches with pepper jack. (Yes, technically that’s called klobásníky.)

For the diehard, there’s a brisket-and-eggs plate with toast. And on Friday and Saturday nights, come back for dinner.

“Breakfast is one of my favorite meals,” Allan said.

“Nothng’s better than brisket with eggs.”

The breakfast menu rounds out Allan’s restaurant, and also makes going there a little easier. Instead of lining up outside, you can wait inside with coffee until the lunch items are ready.

“We’ve made so many friends here, and they’ve all asked us to be open in the mornings,” Allan said.

Derek Allan’s has also added dinner Fridays and Saturdays along with brisket burnt ends.

The restaurant is open from 7 a.m. for breakfast and lunch Tuesday through Thursday, breakfast through dinner Friday and Saturdays. It’s closed Sundays and Mondays.

Derek Allan’s is one of several genuine small-batch craft barbecue restaurants on the south side, including Panther City BBQ and Smoke-A-Holics.. But only Derek Allan’s is open Tuesdays.

(Heim BBQ started small, but has outgrown the “craft” label.)

Derek Allan’s is at on Eighth Avenue south of West Rosedale Street between Cook Children’s and Baylor All Saints hospitals; 817-238-3840, derekallansbbq.com.

I tried the Derek Allan breakfast tacos this morning. $13 for two tacos and a coffee. 

They don't scramble it together so you have a hunk of chopped beef laying on scrambled eggs and shredded cheese on top. The tortillas are translucent by the time the brisket fat works its way in, which is either awesome or terrifying. Or maybe both. 

I just can't get over the $13 thing. 

Someone open an actual good breakfast taco place here, and become a millionaire. 

I stopped by BBQon the Brazos finally, and I was disappointed. Each time I went to the Cresson location I really enjoyed the brisket and loved the ribs. That was not the case this time. The ribs were fine, but the brisket was not. Plus, the little things like shitty decor and not particularly friendly service seemed okay when eating in a Texaco, but came off much worse in the new location. The inside of that new place is just pitiful. I realize they likely didn't do much to that place on the inside before they opened, but it really shows. It felt like walking into one of those seasonal Halloween shops or Christmas toy stores that clearly used be something else and little to no effort was put forth to hide it. I doubt I'll go back and that sucks because I really liked it previously. Oh well.

Don’t think it was his choice not to renew, sounds like Texaco preferred the other guy. 

Does it still look like a cheap Mexican restaurant? Only went to Royal Falcon once on opening night, & it was just the Mexican joint before with a slightly upgraded bar. 

Edited by spystud13

Yeah, it looks like cheap Mexican restaurant with some bbq banners hung on the stucco walls.

I read the Texaco land lord wanted a restaurant with more regular hours. They just closed up whenever they ran out of food and that seemed to usually be early afternoon. I don't think they were willing to change that so the lease wasn't renewed.

I really did enjoy their food the handful of times I went down there over the years. But I can remember stopping by more than once and they were closed during their regular hours.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TornACL said:

Having been to both tonight, I can personally report tonight that there are more people inside Showdown right now than inside any bar in West 7th. 

Merry Xmas, Cowtown folks. 

Took my last drink there 21 years ago.  Always loved the classic bar bar, Showdown, VIP, Oui, Hi Hat, HOP, etc. 

Never was a fan of BBQ on the Brazos, my shop is about 5 minutes away from the Cresson location. Ate there once, and the ribs were so dry, they were almost inedible. Dry as hell brisket as well. You might expect that from a place with set hours, but not at a "till we are sold out" place.

CHIEF

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Never was a fan of BBQ on the Brazos, my shop is about 5 minutes away from the Cresson location. Ate there once, and the ribs were so dry, they were almost inedible. Dry as hell brisket as well. You might expect that from a place with set hours, but not at a "till we are sold out" place.

CHIEF

Very same experience. Hate that place. Ate there twice with the same experience each time. 

^ Aren’t you a big Edelweiss fan? Some of their former cooks are moving into the old Denny’s on Camp Bowie West down by Riscky’s. 

The German food fight in west Fort Worth will have to wait another month.

Little Germany Restaurant, the home of 45 years of German kitchen experience in Fort Worth, now plans to move Feb. 1 to its new location at 6737 Camp Bowie Blvd.

That’s three blocks from Edelweiss Restaurant, which opened 52 years ago but changed hands in 2010.

Little Germany had planned to move Jan. 1, but continues for another month in its hole-in-the-wall location at 703 N. Henderson St., on a roundabout.

That means Little Germany will be moving in the middle of the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo, traditionally when both restaurants are popular for their inexpensive German-style mustard-rubbed steaks.

Meanwhile, another German restauant is closing. Greenwoods German European Restaurant will close Jan. 11 on Bluebonnet Circle near TCU. The owners, the Grunewalds, are retiring.

Both Little Gemany and Edelweiss restaurants have their loyal customers.

Some followed the Gonzalez family nine years ago when they left jobs at Edelweiss and started Little Germany, loyally serving the original recipes of retired Edelweiss founder Bernd Schnerzinger.

It was like a jaeger schnitzel divorce. Other patrons stayed at Edelweiss, where German polka bands have merged with the singing waiters of the former Italian Inn for a dining and entertainment experience combining German and Italian entrees.

“They’ve done well,” Lupe Gonzalez said.

Then she said proudly: “We think we cook everything the original way.”

Little Germany is popular for the red cabbage, sausages, sauerbraten, kraut and for the tenderloin and New York strip.

The signature dessert, apple strudel with ice cream, is still baked in-house daily, she said.

The new location in a former Denny’s is nearly ready to open, but needed work on a natural gas line, she said.

“It has new everything,” she said. “And the location’s good. Not like here.”

Little Germany’s location near downtown was good for the first few years, but business has dropped by half since White Settlement Road was blocked for work on a Panther Island bridge.

“We still get people from downtown but we don’t get as many people from the west side,” she said.

(Motorists can reach the current restaurant from Henderson Street, or by zigzagging along backroads from Harrold Street in the Left Bank shopping area.)

Little Germany opens at 10 a.m. weekdays and Saturdays, 11:30 a.m. Sundays for an early lunch crowd. It stays open through dinner daily.

Watch for a moving update or call 682-224-2601.

Any of you Parker County cats know this dumbshit? He sure fucked his life up. 

A drunken Parker County educator driving a pickup truck struck and killed a man walking Wednesday on a highway shoulder, authorities alleged.

Boyd High School Assistant Principal Kevin Evans was arrested on suspicion of intoxication manslaughter with a vehicle, Reno police said.

Ernest Medley, 51, died about 9:30 p.m. in the 4200 block of East Texas 199 in Reno, the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office reported. Medley lived in Springtown.

Evans drove from the scene of the crash, police said. He was stopped as he drove the pickup in Springtown.

Evans, who is 38 and lives in Springtown, was released Thursday from the Parker County Jail on a $25,000 bond.

The Boyd Independent School District will place Evans on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation, Superintendent Tami Vardy wrote in a statement.