Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

I don’t think this woman is a big fan of BoomerJack’s. Kind of a weird location though. 

West Fort Worth has a dearth of cheap, generic chain restaurants serving sports bar/pub fare.

At least, that’s what the developer behind a new Boomer Jack’s restaurant in Fort Worth seems to think. 

According to a commercial grading permit filed with the city, construction work for a brand-new Boomer Jack’s Grill & Bar will begin at 6800 NW Loop 820 Freeway, near Lake Worth. It will go right next door to the Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen.

If you’ve never been to a Boomer Jack’s, picture the most stereotypical sports bar you can think of, with wall-to-wall televisions and pretty women in tight-fitting tank tops slinging cocktails. Then imagine all the deep-fried and sauce-tossed foods that have ever given you heartburn and a deep sense of self-loathing two hours after stuffing them in your face, and voila, you’ve got a Boomer Jack’s.

Several locations already exist in Tarrant County, including three in Fort Worth.

No word yet on when this latest Boomer Jack’s will finish construction.

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

Does the BoomerJacks in Mont Plaza have hot chicks? I haven't been in there in years. Last time I was there the chick bartenders were nice, but were basically roothogs. 

Not really.  A couple of nice bartenders but generally speaking the floor staff isn’t much to write home about. 

On 1/25/2020 at 8:26 AM, TornACL said:

The Shake Shack in DFW Airport, I believe Terminal C, is comically expensive. Even for an airport joint. 

I didn't get the hype. Pathetic little overcooked patties. 

This is my opinion of the Northside one also. Quantity & prices sucked, should have just gone to the Dive. Nice buildout, but no real silverware, plates, or S&P shakers. I expect to eat on yellow wax paper with paper S&P packets at Whataburger, but this place needs more. And no clue where everyone will park when Mule Alley is finally complete. 

Sidenote, drove by the Dive just now, not a single fucking car there. No bueno. 

6 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

uncle daddy's closed/moving.

That's too bad. Went in there for a college football Saturday. Seemed like an OK little neighborhood place to hang out. Food was ok but they had trouble with the new kitchen staff that day. My burger came out Pittsburgh rare. Second attempt was good. 

Must have more excuses. 

“I needed more room to do barbecue, and I didn’t have room there” for equipment, he said.

“People came early in the week for burgers. But on Fridays and Satudrays, they wanted barbecue.”

Lambert also said his next Uncle Daddy’s will serve cocktails. The Cityview location served beer and wine, including wine daiquiris to go.

“People want the real thing,” he said.

Uncle Daddy’s drew quick praise for its large burgers, jumbo hot dogs and housemade chili.

Lambert, a former chuck-wagon cook and kitchen boss at Fred’s Texas Cafe TCU, made previous stops at now-gone Smokey Mae’s Pit BBQ (too big) in Mansfield and also-gone Honey Smoke Pit (too hidden) in Montgomery Plaza. 

Both guys just need to go work for someone else, that much has been proven. 

I drove all the way up to Argyle last week to check out 407BBQ. Place is way overrated unless I went on an off day. The lean was dry as cardboard. The fatty was actually good. The ribs were overcooked as well. They do have a tasty rub, so it would have probably been above avg if it was cooked properly. Sausage is a fine grind, meh. Fried brussel sprouts and potato salad were winners. The next time I drive up to this area I'll check out Smiley's Craft BBQ once they get up and running.

4 hours ago, dmtx said:

I drove all the way up to Argyle last week to check out 407BBQ. Place is way overrated unless I went on an off day. The lean was dry as cardboard. The fatty was actually good. The ribs were overcooked as well. They do have a tasty rub, so it would have probably been above avg if it was cooked properly. Sausage is a fine grind, meh. Fried brussel sprouts and potato salad were winners. The next time I drive up to this area I'll check out Smiley's Craft BBQ once they get up and running.

Smiley's is up and running for lunch only on Fridays and Saturdays.  407BBQ is not good.

407BBQ is what happens when you have millions of dollars in investor money (I presume) and forget to focus on the actual food. 

That place is comically huge. I'm sure it's a great place to hang out on weekends if you're the kind of person who loves visiting IKEA and megachurches. 

11 hours ago, dmtx said:

Agreed, 407 is not good. Tried twice and wasn’t impressed 

Goddamn, this is the bar I asked about awhile back, shit is taking forever. 

Plans for the Fort Worth location of Nickel City are moving forward. 

A remodeling permit for the bar and restaurant was submitted with the city on Thursday. Nickel City will be in 212 S. Main St., in the heart of the burgeoning food and drink scene in Near Southside. According to the permit filed, the space will be 3,287 square feet and will include a patio for patrons to drink outside.

Nickel City is based out of Austin, and was named Bar of the Year in 2017 by Eater. This time last year, the bar owners Travis Tober, Craig Primozich and Brandon and Zane Hunt announced they were opening a new location in Fort Worth with special items specific to Cowtown itself.

Fort Worth’s Nickel City will also include an on-site food truck Delray Cafe, with a menu that has an original Detroit-Style Coney Dog and a “loose burger” served on a steamed hot dog bun. 

With the permit filed in February, it’s likely the bar will open as early as summer of this year.

Original post was over a year ago. 

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by La Pantera Tacos y Mas, the late night taco shop being run out Panther City BBQ, and I really enjoyed my tacos. By the time I got there, right around midnight, the only meats left were chicken and pork carnitas. The chicken was good, but the carnitas were awesome. I will go back again and try some the other options for sure.

• Like 3

PSA-Andy's frozen custard opened on Wednesday in SW Ft. Worth,  5328 McPherson.  Triple chocolate concrete futures are a buy I predict.  Still will frequent Curly's on Camp Bowie, but will be on a first name basis with the employees at this location in my backyard.

On 2/22/2020 at 12:21 PM, TyphoonSe7en said:

Stopped by La Pantera Tacos y Mas, the late night taco shop being run out Panther City BBQ, and I really enjoyed my tacos. By the time I got there, right around midnight, the only meats left were chicken and pork carnitas. The chicken was good, but the carnitas were awesome. I will go back again and try some the other options for sure.

I'm gonna need to go check that out. Cheesecake empanadas also.  

3 hours ago, ss13 said:

You know what FW needed? A fucking axe throwing bar, that’s what we fucking needed. Good luck, there is one going in right next to Woody’s in the old Crossfit spot. 

Thirty years from now : "Hey, remember when axe throwing bars were a thing?" 

"Ha ha ha ha, no, that was a thing? 

^ Got a text from a buddy about that one earlier. 

The one on Lancaster, across from the homeless shelters, appears to be mildly popular. We went one time and you couldnt even get both feet out of the car before someone was asking you for money. The homeless also like to stand outside and watch you throw axes

All I got is don’t try to Sunday Funday at one of the motels just west of good ol’ Horny Toad. 

Fort Worth police were investigating a fatal shooting in west Fort Worth on Sunday evening.

The shooting was reported at a motel in the 9600 block of Camp Bowie West Boulevard. One person was killed. Homicide detectives were notified. 

The victim’s name has not been released.

The shooting was reported to police about 5:45 p.m.

No information about suspects or a motive was released. Further details were not immediately available.

From a former poster here... 

HEB in Hudson Oaks is evidently murdering it. Father in law has a meeting this morning about knocking out the east wall and adding an additional 9,000sqft. Hasn’t even been open a year and already expanding.

Yep, just came to post the same. 

Pitmaster Billy Woodrich has closed Billy’s Oak Acres BBQ in west Fort Worth and will open a new restaurant, Rufus Bar & Grill, in the Cityview Centre shopping center, he confirmed Wednesday.

Rufus Bar & Grill will serve barbecue, home cooking and most of Woodrich’s menu from Billy’s Oak Acres, he said. It will open in the shopping center space that was formerly home to Uncle Daddy’s B&B, 4608 Bryant Irvin Road near Razzoo’s.

Billy’s Oak Acres, known for chicken-fried steak and pork chops along with barbecue, started at a rural backroad location called Oak Acres outside Loop 820 in far west Fort Worth.

In 2018, it moved to a former nightclub in the Western Hills neighborhood.

He is leaving that location over a disagreement with the landlord, he said.

The move pits Woodrich’s yet-unnamed restaurant head-to-head against established Cousin’s Bar-B-Q in the Cityview neighborhood. But Woodrich’s restaurant was also known for buttermilk-batter chicken-fried steaks, pork chop nights, pulled-pork “Taco Tuesday” and a variety of specials.

Have a feeling both parties will get fucked on this deal. The landlord will wish he hadn’t pissed him off, & Billy will probably fail in that Cityview spot. 

Virtually zero chance he’ll open for breakfast in Cityview, & he’ll probably cut way down on his cue. One of the multitude of reasons Rodney blamed for leaving was he could only really serve it one night a week in that small space. 

Apparently Billy went to HS with the wife half of the Camp Bowie landlords, they divorced, & shit went sideways.