Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

12 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Full blown incident last night by my house in Monticello.  Police helicopter was right overhead and 3 cops were going down my street with flashlights looking in back yards.

From Nextdoor:

Sorry for partying??? 

VIP refugee perhaps?

11 hours ago, pch said:

VIP refugee perhaps?

Either that or the guy got pulled over close to there and bolted. VIP shenanigans don't usually get started until midnight. I once saw the Mexican lady that works there chase out some TCU types with a golf club. Good times.

• Like 1

NERD ALERT!!!!

http://www.fortworthbusiness.com/news/a-kon-kicks-off-its-th-year-thursday-june/article_4e672244-6a67-11e8-b9ec-9b7b5ab73392.html

A-Kon has come to Fort Worth for the second time and it’s even bigger than before.

Last year, A-Kon brought more than 25,000 anime, gaming, Japanese pop culture and cosplay fans to Cowtown for four days of cosplay, gaming and concerts; and this year the convention is expected to have more than 33,000 attendees.

This year’s event will run Thursday, June 7, through Sunday, June 10, at the Fort Worth Convention Center, located at 1201 Houston St., though some events are taking place at nearby hotels including the Sheraton Fort Worth Downtown Hotel and Omni Fort Worth Hotel, and the Fort Worth Water Gardens.

1 hour ago, TyphoonSe7en said:

I finally made it over to try Fuego Burger. It is in a sad fucking strip center off of the pitiful part of 377 in between 20 and the traffic circle. The Fuego Burger was damn good, as were the chips and salsa. I was the only person in the place. 

Right past Hugo’s liquor heading north on the same side of the street? 

4 hours ago, TyphoonSe7en said:

Yeah, it is in the next little strip center to the north of Hugo's, on the same side of the street. Solid burger.

Agree the burger is solid-but when more than two tables are occupied, it can take a while to get served.  Haven't returned since that experience and miss the old location on the circle-wish first new location had worked out.

8 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Either that or the guy got pulled over close to there and bolted. VIP shenanigans don't usually get started until midnight. I once saw the Mexican lady that works there chase out some TCU types with a golf club. Good times.

Good times indeed!! Back in the 80's happy hour cans of beer, the second best shuffleboard table in Cowtown (behind the Hi Hat), and a cast of characters not unlike those on Cheers where everybody knew your name.  Always a part of our annual white trash pub crawl, the VIP was a bar bar-none of those boat drinks allowed.

2 hours ago, pch said:

Agree the burger is solid-but when more than two tables are occupied, it can take a while to get served.  Haven't returned since that experience and miss the old location on the circle-wish first new location had worked out.

Yeah, I was the only person in there and it took a while. I doubt I make it a regular place, but I could see myself going back at some point.

20 hours ago, pch said:

Good times indeed!! Back in the 80's happy hour cans of beer, the second best shuffleboard table in Cowtown (behind the Hi Hat), and a cast of characters not unlike those on Cheers where everybody knew your name.  Always a part of our annual white trash pub crawl, the VIP was a bar bar-none of those boat drinks allowed.

What else goes on the white trash pub crawl?

Poop Deck has to be on there right?

Fort Worth has so many good actual dive bars. Maybe they aren't good bars, per se but they're great dive bars. You could drink yourself into a coma with a white trash pub crawl.

Bunaglow, Just One More, Indian Oaks Tavern, Yupps just to name a few.

I bet we could make a list of 25 of them with ease.

And speaking of the old Salsa Fuego location, the Mule & Oscar’s owner also has the Bucket in that same complex as his oyster bar, the Dive. Plenty of good-sized TVs, Golden Tee, pool, Cajun peanuts, cheap drink specials, & a cool-ass bartender named Amanda that worked at Baker St for years too. 

2 hours ago, spystud13 said:

And speaking of the old Salsa Fuego location, the Mule & Oscar’s owner also has the Bucket in that same complex as his oyster bar, the Dive. Plenty of good-sized TVs, Golden Tee, pool, Cajun peanuts, cheap drink specials, & a cool-ass bartender named Amanda that worked at Baker St for years too. 

Robbie is one cool owner whose restaurant and bar sense is spot on.

3 hours ago, Angry Gorilla said:

What else goes on the white trash pub crawl?

Poop Deck has to be on there right?

Hell yeah,  JR Allred had a bunch of bars that made the list along with some of these that no longer open-Sundown Dart Bar, JJ's hideaway, Hi Hat, Hop, University Pub, Alibi Lounge, VIP, and as mentioned, the list could grow to 25 easily. 

spy’s latest out-of-the-box recommendation is Bad Azz Burrito on Blue Mound out near the Mint. Poor man’s Freebirds, but I’m 2-2 in having a damn good burrito from there. Just make sure you have somewhere to be to eat it because the inside is like a fucking morgue. Their hottest hot sauce is better than any of the other similar joints. 

https://www.facebook.com/BadAzzSaginaw/

When you open up that FB link that’s the drive-thru window right there on the left. You have to turn left on whatever street is right after that building and turn left on the back side of the building.

I haven’t been inside the Fuel City yet. Heard good things about it though.

19 hours ago, spystud13 said:

NBC just did a segment from Pearl’s parking lot, guess the smoking ban is about to hit out there too. One of the bartenders wasn’t real optimistic about their future. 

Maybe the last days of the Cherokee Inn are soon to be upon us.  When a bartender is depressed, that is not a good sign.

On 6/13/2018 at 5:04 PM, thestud said:

What kind of atmosphere/food are you looking for? We've really enjoyed Mash'd the last few times we've been downtown. Los Vaqueros has never done us wrong either.

I am not a giant Mash'd fan but god damn that red eye gravy is good. 

What kind of atmosphere/food are you looking for? We've really enjoyed Mash'd the last few times we've been downtown. Los Vaqueros has never done us wrong either.

Ended up going to Del Frisco’s Grille. We’ve been there before but it was good for the occasion. Good food, cocktails, and wine list.

Went to heim for lunch, it's merely acceptable bbq now. Pepper sausage and moist brisket, both almost devoid of flavor and zero bark on brisket. Sad 'nana

Went twice, both times were subpar and the bacon burnt ends tasted like super sweet burnt sugar. The only redeeming thing was the Mac n cheese and it was simply ok.

I go to the cheap BBQ joint downtown on Taylor now, pretty good for cheap Q.

22 hours ago, bluto said:

i first tried going to that trailer on Pennsylvania/Hattie where Heim used to be but they were totally sold out of everything but sausage by 1PM

Yeah they are definitely getting more popular. Have gotten a lot of mentions in various articles/magazines...including Texas Monthly

Edited by Bobby Light

Some bar (Texas Republic?) going in next to Reservoir that is going to have an upper deck/covered rooftop that looks interesting. Probably end up with the same douchebag crowd that Reservoir attracts. 

Texas Republic has been there for a while, they are just expanding and adding the rooftop. You are correct about the crowd though.

same here... I went running this morning and ventured down foch. I saw the construction and said WTF, saw the sign for Texas Republic and said WTF is this.

btw... my buddy claims the queso at Mesero is the best ever. I didn't order when I visited. Anyone tried it? I guess I'm going back very soon.

I occasionally eat brunch at the Texas Republic and it's pretty damn good.  

Went to Panther City BBQ a few weeks ago and had the strangest BBQ experience.  They gave me two slices of brisket.  One was incredible and the other was borderline uneatble.  Not sure how that could possibly happen.

15 hours ago, TornACL said:

Republic is the place with the $2000 bottle service on the menu that includes some vodka and fireball as well as the option to have them put your selfies up on the gigantic video board. 

I'm sure it's douchey as shit at night, but it's not a bad place to go eat lunch on a Sat and watch some college football.  Brunch is pretty good and usually hot bartenders.  You want to be out well before sun goes down.

It was great for Super Bowl though, $125 to reserve a table, so you could show up 10 minutes before kick and have your own spot.

Nothing good ever comes from getting a massage from a guy named Sting Ray. 

A woman filed a lawsuit claiming a massage therapist sexually assaulted her under the guise of giving her a massage.

The woman, identified in the lawsuit as Jane Doe 115, said she was assaulted by a man she knows as Sting Ray Salgado, who is named in the lawsuit along with Massage Envy. Jane Doe said her first massage with Salgado took place during summer 2017 at the Massage Envy in Montgomery Plaza and was uneventful.

Jane Doe wore yoga shorts during her second massage with Salgado. During the end of the massage, Salgado allegedly moved Jane Doe's shorts aside to expose her genitals and rub them on the outside, according to the lawsuit.

Jane Doe "thought perhaps Sting's conduct was inadvertent and quickly banished any thoughts that his actions were untoward because, after all, Massage Envy was a reputable Spa with reputable massage therapists," the lawsuit said.

Jane Doe, who signed a contract with Massage Envy to receive monthly massages in Feburary 2016, got a third massage from Salgado in September 2017 and he was more aggressive. Salgado pushed her shorts aside and rubbed her genitalia repeatedly with his hands, the lawsuit stated.

Jane Doe moved her shorts back into place, flipped over and said "no," but Salgado continued to touch her genitalia inappropriately, the lawsuit said. Jane Doe ended the massage session to complain and was told no manager was available.

The next day Jane Doe called and wanted to cancel her membership with Massage Envy but was ignored, the lawsuit said.

When "Massage Envy Montgomery Plaza did respond, they refused her request to cancel her membership," the lawsuit stated.

Jane Doe said in her lawsuit that Massage Envy has failed to properly train and supervise its employees and has allowed their customers to experience unnecessary harm. The lawsuit lists numerous other failures on the part of Massage Envy and asked that the courts compensate Jane Doe because of her ordeal.

Massage Envy was sued by a number of women last year who reported that they were sexually assaulted at the spas nationwide, according to a BuzzFeed News report.

And Burleson gets an Ol’ South. 

If you live in Burleson, by this time next year, you won't have to drive as far to satisfy a craving for Dutch Babies.

Ol' South Pancake House, the more than 50-year-old institution on University Drive in Fort Worth, plans a Burleson location, set to open in 2019.

Owner Rex Benson says in a text that the lease is signed for a 260-seat restaurant next to the Burleson location of Rio Mambo, which is at 295 E. Renfro St.

The Burleson Ol' South will have something that the Fort Worth one doesn't: a patio. Benson says that it will be ready sometime in mid-2019. 

Unlike the Fort Worth location, which is open 24-7 and only rarely closes, the Burleson one will be open 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and 6 a.m.-midnight Friday-Saturday, Benson says. They'll see how those hours go before making any adjustments.

Last one, this dude really has (had) a great fucking name. 

A man who was trying to rescue a calf that had fallen into a pond Wednesday in Cleburne drowned, police said.

The drowning happened shortly before 3 p.m. in the 500 block of Edgewood Lane, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner.

Coyote Rooster Renner, 29, was working ranchland at the site when he saw a calf go into a stock tank, which is a small pond used for watering livestock, said Cleburn Fire Chief Keith Scarbrough.

"A stock tank tends to be muddier than a typical lake," Scarbrough said. That could have been a factor in Renner's drowning, he said.

Also, "he was still wearing jeans and cowboy boots" when his body was removed from an area of the pond that was 6 to 7 feet deep, Scarbrough said. That could have contributed to fatigue, he said.

The calf survived, Scarbrough said.

Public records show Renner had been living in the Cleburne area since 2013. He lived in Waco before that.

On 6/21/2018 at 2:28 PM, bluto said:

Went to heim for lunch, it's merely acceptable bbq now. Pepper sausage and moist brisket, both almost devoid of flavor and zero bark on brisket. Sad 'nana

Went to Heim’s for lunch today.  It really isn’t the same.  Even the potato salad wasn’t that good.