Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

10 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Yeah. Food was okay, ambience kinda cool. It’s close to our house so we go for happy hour occasionally. Actually kicked around the idea of doing that later today.

Nice, if you see a redhead that clearly out kicked his coverage with the Brazilian he’s with come say you’re from the internet 

• Like 1

Went to Castleberry in the late 90’s right up the road and that whole area is insane to me now. I took the wife to Heim today down there and about shit my pants how much it’s changed. She said she wants to try Gemelles. (However the fuck it’s spelled)

On what planet do these prices sound like a good deal? 

Hey, Bud! Is Pinstripes in Clearfork ever going to reopen?

—At least a half-dozen readers

Pinstripes Bistro Bowling Bocce is reopening July 17, with a table-service menu replacing the buffet and many games and seats distanced or moved outdoors. The bowling is limited and by reservation only, for example. There’s also a take-home package with pork ribs or lasagna for eight people ($120) or 16 ($225).

Let's get back to Flores BBQ. As I believed was mentioned previously, they've pivoted to being a tortilleria. 

$10 for a dozen tortillas. I don't think that part was mentioned. 

Not $10 for a dozen tamales. Tortillas. 

As someone raised in South Texas this is a fucking outrage. I love the shit out of tortillas, but I can't imagine that these guys have come across some kind of magical formula that makes their flat biscuits worthy of that kind of fucking price. 

But please, if someone has tried them, I am willing to entertain your feedback. 

For $10 a dozen these better be so good that I eat the whole dozen in the car on my way back from Whitney. And then turn around and buy two more dozen. One for the rest of the drive home, and another dozen for the house. 

Yeah. Food was okay, ambience kinda cool. It’s close to our house so we go for happy hour occasionally. Actually kicked around the idea of doing that later today.
Froggy's used to have an underground poker game in the basement. It looked like a strip club down there, no windows.

On 7/18/2020 at 8:10 PM, TornACL said:

Let's get back to Flores BBQ. As I believed was mentioned previously, they've pivoted to being a tortilleria. 

$10 for a dozen tortillas. I don't think that part was mentioned. 

Not $10 for a dozen tamales. Tortillas. 

As someone raised in South Texas this is a fucking outrage. I love the shit out of tortillas, but I can't imagine that these guys have come across some kind of magical formula that makes their flat biscuits worthy of that kind of fucking price. 

But please, if someone has tried them, I am willing to entertain your feedback. 

For $10 a dozen these better be so good that I eat the whole dozen in the car on my way back from Whitney. And then turn around and buy two more dozen. One for the rest of the drive home, and another dozen for the house. 

While eating their BBQ one time they ran out of bread and gave me a couple of tortillas.  I don't recall them being anything special.

On 7/20/2020 at 9:05 AM, JOSEYWALES66 said:

While eating their BBQ one time they ran out of bread and gave me a couple of tortillas.  I don't recall them being anything special.

I don't know if he used beef tallow previously, and I cant imagine them still being worth it. But hey, I've got a co-worker living whitney, so we shall see.

Also, anyone been to Coco Shrimp by Hop Fusion off of Main Street?  I went by last night and it was packed. Line out of the restaurant and into the parking lot

It’s solid, way overpriced though. Good ppl working there. They run decent deals via text msg.

Weird fucking name. 

It’s not legal to open an Irish pub right now.

So, Trinity College Irish Pub will open as an Irish restaurant.

The new pub and beer garden will open shortly at 910 Currie St. in the West 7th area, taking over a former taco restaurant across from Fred’s Texas Cafe.

“We’re emphasizing the food, and people are going to be surprised,” said Alan Kearney, a Dublin, Ireland, native who operates several pubs in other markets including Dallas.

The menu is large for a pub, with seven entrees, seven burgers, sandwiches and eight salads or soups.

Yes, there’s fish-and-chips and bangers-and-mash (both $14.95). But the menu also includes corned beef and cabbage ($15.95) and either a beef-and-lamb or plant-based version of shepherd’s pie ($13.95-$14.95).

“It’s really intimidating, opening up right across from Fred’s,” Kearney said.

“We have some burgers too. Fort Worth is serious about burgers.”

Trinity College’s burger choices include one with Sriracha sauce and a Scotch egg, and others with deep-fried cheese curds or Jameson Irish Whiskey barbecue sauce.

The other sandwiches include turkey or corned-beef Reubens or a Monte Cristo.

There’s also an all-day Irish breakfast platter of eggs, Irish round bacon, sausage and Heinz beans with grilled homemade brown bread ($18.95).

Was Fort Worth clamoring for this?

“We’re here to do our best as humbly as we possibly can,” he said,

Watch for it to open at Currie and Morton streets.

(And when it opens, don’t park in the Crockett Row garage — that’s only for Crockett Row tenants.)

What was the taco restaurant? 

Edited by ss13

That Irish place doesn’t have a shot in hell, especially considering it’s not part of the garage cartel. If an Effin taco place can’t make it during non covid and stirr shuttered along with the brewery just up the road, then this doesn’t sound promising. Wonder how long that Austin taco place by the former brewery is doing in all this.

(Watch this damn thing turn out to be a smash hit now)

21 hours ago, bluto said:

That Irish place doesn’t have a shot in hell, especially considering it’s not part of the garage cartel. If an Effin taco place can’t make it during non covid and stirr shuttered along with the brewery just up the road, then this doesn’t sound promising. Wonder how long that Austin taco place by the former brewery is doing in all this.

(Watch this damn thing turn out to be a smash hit now)

That, and a $19 breakfast.

10 hours ago, TyphoonSe7en said:

Oh come on, I'm sure people have been really looking forward to searching for a street spot and then hiking a few blocks in the heat for a $19.00 plate a beans for breakfast.

The former Cactus Flower restaurant occupied the space in the early 2000's where the Austin Street taco $19 breakfast is served. Sure miss the breakfast they used to serve for under $6-kinda like the Paris Coffee shop on Magnolia or Olde Neighborhood Grill.  Reviews from friends made this taco joint a no for me.

Austin City Taco does not have a $19 breakfast or anything close to that. They are a casual taco spot kinda like Torchy’s or Velvet, except slightly more traditional tacos. I’ve been a couple times and it was fine.

You guys will get your panties in a wad about anything, and when you can’t find something, you imagine new travesties that are worthy of criticism.

This is impressive, not even 2.5 months. 

The Southside Rambler restaurant has gone dark, apparently closed after one of the most short and turbulent runs ever for a Fort Worth restaurant.

Two days after former employees protested out front over a workplace dispute, the two-month-old restaurant did not open Wednesday and the space is being marketed, according to other restaurateurs who have been approached about the property.

Southside Rambler opened in mid-May as a Fort Worth spinoff from the Tipsy Oak, a popular patio restaurant in the Urban Union neighborhood.

The loud patio music immediately drew noise complaints in the surrounding Fairmount neighborhood. City inspectors visited as recently as last week to remind managers about state health orders that require patrons to stay 6 feet away, according to a city code compliance spokeswoman.

In a June 3 report, the Fort Worth Weekly said that employees and patrons were not maintaining the required 6-foot distance. Co-owner Julia Cary von Ehrenfried had been tangling with commenters on social media about the state health orders and the need for COVID-19 precautions, according to the Weekly.

Kevin von Ehrenfried, owner and founder of Tipsy Oak and Southside Rambler, did not return repeated messages last week. 

Southside Rambler moved into a former barber shop, key shop and used car lot. The restaurant was in the previous location of La Zona on Magnolia.

Last paragraph doesn’t make a ton of sense though. 

This is impressive, not even 2.5 months. 
The Southside Rambler restaurant has gone dark, apparently closed after one of the most short and turbulent runs ever for a Fort Worth restaurant.
Two days after former employees protested out front over a workplace dispute, the two-month-old restaurant did not open Wednesday and the space is being marketed, according to other restaurateurs who have been approached about the property.
Southside Rambler opened in mid-May as a Fort Worth spinoff from the Tipsy Oak, a popular patio restaurant in the Urban Union neighborhood.
The loud patio music immediately drew noise complaints in the surrounding Fairmount neighborhood. City inspectors visited as recently as last week to remind managers about state health orders that require patrons to stay 6 feet away, according to a city code compliance spokeswoman.
In a June 3 report, the Fort Worth Weekly said that employees and patrons were not maintaining the required 6-foot distance. Co-owner Julia Cary von Ehrenfried had been tangling with commenters on social media about the state health orders and the need for COVID-19 precautions, according to the Weekly.
Kevin von Ehrenfried, owner and founder of Tipsy Oak and Southside Rambler, did not return repeated messages last week. 
Southside Rambler moved into a former barber shop, key shop and used car lot. The restaurant was in the previous location of La Zona on Magnolia.

Last paragraph doesn’t make a ton of sense though. 

So there used to be a place you could get your hair cut and have keys made at the same time?

I went to Southside Rambler for drinks and it seemed ok. They have a large outdoor space that made it feel somewhat safe during Covid, but apparently there were concerns raised about Covid precautions and one of the owners is a Covid denier on social media.

I also went to the former La Zona place for after dinner drinks a few times. It was also fine for that simple purpose.

That’s a decent spot and I’m sure someone will open a successful restaurant or bar there, but that needs to be post-Covid and restaurant space is surely cheap at this point.

2 hours ago, ss13 said:

Buffalo West joins the list of no-longers. 

Anyone been to Wild Acre in the old Kroger down there on Camp Bowie? 

No tears for Buffalo West-wife had her company Christmas party there a couple of years and it was meh.

On 7/29/2020 at 6:01 PM, pch said:

No tears for Buffalo West-wife had her company Christmas party there a couple of years and it was meh.

I'm not a salad guy and I could never really find anything on the lunch menu that I liked.  The best thing they had was an occasional lunch special of a thin 7ish oz ribeye that I would assume they would only roll out when they had too much prime rib on hand.

The guy that owns it used to have an office next to ours on West Camp Bowie, really nice guy.

🏽 out Fort Worth. Lived here about a year and moving back to Austin today. 

It was ok. I’m sure my experience would have been better if Covid didn’t throw a wrench in things. Didn’t really get to do any Spring/Summer things, unfortunately. Definitely ready to get back to Austin. 

If we were in a position to do so, we would definitely invest in a property in the Near Southside/Fairmount area. We’ve enjoyed living right off Magnolia. 

Y’all take care now, ya hear?

The 2020 Hatch green chile season will be different in many ways.

Takeout shops such as Central Market and Eatzi’s Market & Bakery are already loaded with the usual Hatch dishes from the fresh New Mexico pepper harvest.

But restaurants such as Blue Mesa Grill, celebrating a Hatch Chile Festival for the 25th year, will be packing enchiladas, fajitas and tacos for takeout along with Hatch margaritas to go.

“The only way to succeed in this scenario is to reinvent yourself,” Liz Baron wrote in an email announcing Blue Mesa’s new Hatch dinner special.

From Aug. 7-16, $30 will buy a Hatch taco combo dinner for two people and a quart of pineapple Hatch margaritas.

If you need to feed the fam, there’s also a $55 dinner for four people with the margaritas.

(But I’d pay $60 and get two small combos and two quarts of margaritas.)

Not a bad deal. 

Edited by ss13