Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

• 2 weeks later...

I don't live in Ft. Worth any more, but I grew up there.  Most of you here aren't old enough to remember - and I would guess a great many weren't born - but I just heard that they made an arrest in the 45 year-old unsolved murder of Western Hills student Carla Walker.  It was a huge deal at the time - it was a different type of crime for our town.  Students at other schools held prayer vigils for her safe return.  If you were a teenager or older, it was a crime that changed the way you view the world.  I'm glad they caught the mother fucker, maybe her brother can get some closure now.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Holy shit, that’s badass. I wasn’t born, but I’ve known about the case forever, an acquaintance is related to Carla. Happened in the old Brunswick bowling alley parking lot, I believe. There was an hour-long show on one of the crime networks about it earlier this year. 

It was indeed at the bowling alley she was taken.  1974 was the year Fort Worth lost its innocence, 10 months later 3 teenage girls disappeared from Seminary South and have never been found.  I realize how melodramatic it sounds, but those crimes shook the city.  

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Holy shit, that’s badass. I wasn’t born, but I’ve known about the case forever, an acquaintance is related to Carla. Happened in the old Brunswick bowling alley parking lot, I believe. There was an hour-long show on one of the crime networks about it earlier this year. 

Where was this bowling alley located?

You know where the Dive Burger joint is now? Close to that. Just north of the traffic circle in west FW. It was an ice skating rink for awhile, now it’s some kind of weird multi-use events center. 

Yes, it was sort of opposite the Frank Kent Cadillac my older sister worked at while she was in college.  

You remember Terry Drennan, the WH QB back around then? I went to Hills with his sons. Anyway, believe he was part of the double date on that fateful evening. 

All the Drennans are practicing dentists in FW & Aledo now. 

I knew of him only as a Cougar QB.  I was a frosh baseball/boxer/basketball at PHS.  But I knew a shitload of Cougars from baseball.  Played against - and with during summer league.

Edited by cafe society

3 hours ago, cafe society said:

Yes, it was sort of opposite the Frank Kent Cadillac my older sister worked at while she was in college.  

I knew of him only as a Cougar QB.  I was a frosh baseball/boxer/basketball at PHS.  But I knew a shitload of Cougars from baseball.  Played against - and with during summer league.

Did you play basketball on the 74/75 PHS team that lost to Kashmere in the finals?

My dad was(actually still is) a big bowler back in the day and I remember going to that alley. My one and only season of hockey was played there.

Also, am I misremembering or wasn’t there a bowling alley on top of Ol South back in the day. All I know is I was very young and it was somewhere there.

5 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

My dad was(actually still is) a big bowler back in the day and I remember going to that alley. My one and only season of hockey was played there.

Also, am I misremembering or wasn’t there a bowling alley on top of Ol South back in the day. All I know is I was very young and it was somewhere there.

Forest Park Lanes, it was in a separate building just to the left of Ol’ South, they shared the parking lot. 

I was on the ‘bowling team’ my senior year at Hills, which didn’t mean shit except you got a free game per day from Brunswick. So by the end of the school year, my buddies & I that did it probably had over a hundred games saved up. We had to bowl a fucking LOT that last week before they expired. 

3 hours ago, pch said:

Did you play basketball on the 74/75 PHS team that lost to Kashmere in the finals?

I was on the freshman team.  But yeah, our program was great for several years.  Ask me about the next year when I had to try to guard Ricky Pierce an entire game.  That was fun.

Edited by cafe society

16 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

16 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Forest Park Lanes, it was in a separate building just to the left of Ol’ South, they shared the parking lot. 

I was on the ‘bowling team’ my senior year at Hills, which didn’t mean shit except you got a free game per day from Brunswick. So by the end of the school year, my buddies & I that did it probably had over a hundred games saved up. We had to bowl a fucking LOT that last week before they expired. 

There was a bowling alley above Ol' South too at some point

54 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

We’re talking about the same place. Pretty sure it was in the glass building to the left. 

This is correct, I spent years of my misspent youth there, and years later of after hours coffee and cigarettes watching my fellow drunks at Ol South.  Hell, I made a night of hanging out at both a few times.

Edited by cafe society
  • Like 1