Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

We have generators that run off natural gas or diesel so that’s not the reason. You must have a horseshoe up your ass.

Is that the case for all fire stations? I’m extremely fortunate over here in Dallas with power while a lot of my hood is out. I’m 4 blocks either way between fire stations, can’t imagine any other reason besides that (and luck)

Is that the case for all fire stations? I’m extremely fortunate over here in Dallas with power while a lot of my hood is out. I’m 4 blocks either way between fire stations, can’t imagine any other reason besides that (and luck)

Yes with probably the only exception being your one fire station town in podunkville. We can’t operate without power. Three of our stations generators suffered catastrophic failures and those stations were closed and the crews moved to the next closest station.

On a lighter note... 

Hey, Bud! When is the new Original opening on North Main?

----

The new Original del Norte should open within days at 1400 N. Main St. if the cold snap wasn’t a setback. It’ll serve The Original’s timeless Tex-Mex with some rendition of the former El Rancho Grande’s thin chips and tortillas.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

On a lighter note... 

spacer.png

Until January 23rd, I worked two blocks north of here and loved El Rancho Grande's chips and salsa.  Gonna have to venture back to the Northside when the snow melts and give this place some business.

Someone bailed out the Deep Ellum debacle. 
Bankhead Brewing of Rowlett, named for a century-old federal highway, will open its second location in a $3 million brewery in west Fort Worth.
The brewpub and restaurant will move into the former Deep Ellum Brewing Co., 611 University Drive. It’s one block north of West Seventh Street, which was part of the historic Bankhead Highway across America.
Bankhead Brewing opened four years ago and serves a menu of wood-fired pizzas such as the “Carnivore of Love” with meatballs and sausage or the “Little Piggy” with pork, bacon and sweet figs.
Besides pizzas, the menu includes a brisket grilled cheese, burgers and salads, along with a sriracha cheddar-beer soup.
“While other breweries are focused 90% on beer, 10% on food, we put equal focus on both,” said owner Vivek Rajbahak, a former Pabst Brewing executive involved in the company’s craft beer strategy.
Bankhead wants patrons to come in “for the amazing food” as much as for beer or drinks, he said.

Fucking love Bankhead, pre-covid we’d go there almost once a week. We live in Wylie and will definitely be visiting the FW location with the BiL.

On 2/18/2021 at 9:02 AM, pch said:

Until January 23rd, I worked two blocks north of here and loved El Rancho Grande's chips and salsa.  Gonna have to venture back to the Northside when the snow melts and give this place some business.

WTF? El Rancho was our go to growing up and I always try to hit it up when we go back. What happened?

14 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

WTF? El Rancho was our go to growing up and I always try to hit it up when we go back. What happened?

Here is a link that explains the change:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/in-fort-worth-a-new-combo-el-rancho-grande-changes-hands-will-it-keep-the-chips/ar-BB19hbiW

Edited by pch
updated information

1 hour ago, Dr Fear said:

There has been some sort of activity at VIPs, several trucks there and a dumpster out back the last few weeks.

RIP the mirrored walls and the 60 year old carpet. I'm sure that's the first shit they tore out of there. Actually I can't remember if VIPs was carpeted or if that was some other dive. Memories are hazy, as they should be. 

12 hours ago, TornACL said:

RIP the mirrored walls and the 60 year old carpet. I'm sure that's the first shit they tore out of there. Actually I can't remember if VIPs was carpeted or if that was some other dive. Memories are hazy, as they should be. 

There's not enough PPE or hazmat uniforms anywhere that could make removal of said carpet safe.  Chernobyl/Three Mile Island would have been less hazardous.  That said, VIP was a true bar that was always on the annual White Trash Pub Crawl and never disappointed.

Who’s been to Your Mom’s House on Bledsoe? I have to root for failure just on principle. 

155474623_996179574253729_6943060282738248915_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=zhc2pV-2-AgAX88cPb5&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=93918b8ac58e4cd72b0d16d30731a56c&oe=6064D921
Never had the (dis)pleasure. I swear that I read when they opened that the concept was casual and laid back? Except for first Mondays where they have industry DJ night sponsored by Rumple?

The following is some old man talk, but I just can't understand the obsession the 7th St bars have with shitty DJs.

You can be on a sunny patio on a laid back Sunday afternoon and some dipshit will show up with a laptop and a table and spin cocaine fueled trap shit and ruin everything. 

February was even better. I know [mention=935]Fudbelty[/mention] remembers this Rocky cat, you two above probably do also. Rack Daddy’s, Spencer’s Corner/Coconuts, probably several others I’m forgetting. 
Spoiler

143997139_979997682538585_7674696550199214361_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=TChrVZek_QMAX8Oabp-&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=f47aae3e57bfc39496e7f48f659f47ae&oe=60632CCE

Pretty much grew up with him. He is a year older than me but we played football and basketball together at ol CHS. Want to say pre Covid he was trying his hand(s) at running a barbershop on River Oaks BLVD.

The shitty ones are the older ones. The older ones burn more because they have common attics with no firewalls and more importantly they aren’t sprinkled.

Funny you say that about the attic. This was exactly what happened here. Not that I know any Fort Worth Firemen who worked it.

11 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

always the shitty apartments catching fire.

When I was growing up in Ft. Worth our church was Ridglea Presbyterian, right by the country club at the corner of Westridge and Camp Bowie.  The south side of Westridge headed west from Vickery was very nice, running the gamut from horse breeders to the affluent, but the north side was very poor and got progressively worse the further north the neighborhood went.  When I traveled to Buenos Aires as an adult it was the same way, the city was never gridded out.  If you didn't know where you were going you could turn the corner from a nice neighborhood into a ghetto.  Crazy.  

2 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

“The cause is under investigation “. Someone is getting arrested for that shit. Again, not that I’d know anything.

Again, growing up there - a long ass time ago - my summer league baseball coaches were always guys who had played minor league ball, never got far and became firefighters and paramedics.   Those gentlemen had LOTS of stories to tell.  I guess it's no secret 40 years later that they busted a TCU prof who taught classes on the subject of arson or fires (would that be a thing?) who was actually the guilty pyro setting buildings on fire.

9 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Again, growing up there - a long ass time ago - my summer league baseball coaches were always guys who had played minor league ball, never got far and became firefighters and paramedics.   Those gentlemen had LOTS of stories to tell.  I guess it's no secret 40 years later that they busted a TCU prof who taught classes on the subject of arson or fires (would that be a thing?) who was actually the guilty pyro setting buildings on fire.

For clarity, 40 years ago they busted the prof.

We were headed south on Bryant Irvin last night between Vickery and Edwards Ranch Road when I saw the roaring fire that was rapidly consuming the apartments.  The FD had not arrived yet but by the time we got to Arborlawn, there were multiple trucks headed that way.

Irving, but the bolded seems odd. I get water would fuck with the weight a little, but 4 inches of height too? 

Irving police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a body they found at 11:50 a.m. Monday in the Trinity River near the Irving Golf Course in the 2000 block of E. Shady Grove Road. 

The person is described as a white or Hispanic male in his 30s or 40s, with a tattoo on his back saying “God Forgive Me,” one on his shoulder saying “Brenda,” “Joubert” on his left shoulder, “SMC” on his right forearm and one unreadable on the left side of his chest.

Police said the man weighed between 173 and 220 pounds and was between 5-foot-10 and 6-foot-2.

Police do not suspect foul play in the death.

Irving, but the bolded seems odd. I get water would fuck with the weight a little, but 4 inches of height too? 
Irving police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a body they found at 11:50 a.m. Monday in the Trinity River near the Irving Golf Course in the 2000 block of E. Shady Grove Road. 
The person is described as a white or Hispanic male in his 30s or 40s, with a tattoo on his back saying “God Forgive Me,” one on his shoulder saying “Brenda,” “Joubert” on his left shoulder, “SMC” on his right forearm and one unreadable on the left side of his chest.
Police said the man weighed between 173 and 220 pounds and was between 5-foot-10 and 6-foot-2.
Police do not suspect foul play in the death.
Maybe he jumped and his legs suffered major trauma? There is no mention of any lower body tats. I would think someone with that many tattoos would have some on his legs.