Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

Not the most difficult stretch of road to wind up down there. 

car%203.jpg

car%205.jpg

A man died after his Chevy Suburban flipped over the guardrail of a bridge and into the Trinity River early Sunday morning, according to Fort Worth police.

The man has been identified as Joe Michael Watson, 40, of Haltom City, according to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office.

The incident occurred about 12:25 a.m. in the 2000 block of Beach Street.

The vehicle was pulled out of the river by a tow truck and the driver was found dead inside, police said.

18 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Some YouTube guy named Nelk was live streaming. I wish I was joking.

Is that related to this?...

https://www.facebook.com/GiveMeDirtyBones/posts/113657030754271

Also, I've been wanting a good wing sports bar to open up in FW (Pluckers, please) so when I drove by the old Stirr location and saw them putting up a sign for a wing sports bar I was excited.  Then I went to their facebook page and see it's just another bottle service place (with wings).

https://www.facebook.com/GiveMeDirtyBones/

16 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:

Is that related to this?...

https://www.facebook.com/GiveMeDirtyBones/posts/113657030754271

Also, I've been wanting a good wing sports bar to open up in FW (Pluckers, please) so when I drove by the old Stirr location and saw them putting up a sign for a wing sports bar I was excited.  Then I went to their facebook page and see it's just another bottle service place (with wings).

https://www.facebook.com/GiveMeDirtyBones/

Maybe the Bottle Service/Club will be limited to the upstairs part?

9 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Anyone have a rec for a landscape company? I need a new sprinkler system and sod put in. I’ve called a few already but it’s impossible to get them to call back or come give me an estimate.

Got a good estimate for complete renovation of flower beds and two trees to replace lost ones from this outfit yesterday.  Got an appointment on Tuesday after contacting them last Friday. 

https://www.facebook.com/meangreenDFW/

11 hours ago, pch said:

Got a good estimate for complete renovation of flower beds and two trees to replace lost ones from this outfit yesterday.  Got an appointment on Tuesday after contacting them last Friday. 

https://www.facebook.com/meangreenDFW/

That’s funny. Michael from that company came to my house at 8am today to give me an estimate. I haven’t been able to get anyone to show up for 3 weeks now. 

21 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

That’s funny. Michael from that company came to my house at 8am today to give me an estimate. I haven’t been able to get anyone to show up for 3 weeks now. 

And he's recovering from illness.

This is in that weird little shopping center behind Mexican Inn/the old Mule. I like tortas, have still not tried birria tacos yet. 

Mariachi’s Dine-In was already drawing crowds, and then owner Ashley Miller had an idea.

“I said, ‘Let’s try to do a vegan taco,’ ” she remembered.

Two years later, Mariachi’s is about to move up from its cluttered convenience-store location east of downtown to a glossy new restaurant off Camp Bowie Boulevard.

Soon, chef Angel Fuentes’ tacos, burgers and vegan or non-dairy items will be coming to a strip shopping center at 5724 Locke Ave., the former home of much-missed Mariposa’s Latin Kitchen.

“I’d been looking at that spot all along,” Miller said last week in the spartan dining room at the current location, a well-worn gas station grill at 301 S. Sylvania Ave. “I can’t tell you what a blessing this is for us.”

Mariachi’s is known for Fuentes’ exceptional Monterrey-style street tacos, burritos, tortas and salsas. The namesake “Mariachi” is a loaded flour taco with fried poblano and guajillo sauce, or try the birria tacos.

Vegan patrons order from the same full menu, not some limited selection. The tacos or tortas are made with vegan cheese or queso, soy-based pastor or chorizo and the same outstanding grilled veggies and peppers.

It’s become one of the most popular restaurants in town for vegans, along with Spiral Diner and salad-friendly Local Foods Kitchen.

The new west side Mariachi will add dinner platters and mixed drinks.

And for the first time, it’ll be attractive to “Dine-In.”

“Some families are always having to decide — ‘Your restaurant or my restaurant?’ Now they’ll be able to get it all,” Miller said. “It’s a place where dads can get steak quesadillas, and a daughter can get her bean quesadilla, if that’s what she wants.”

The birria is made with either beef or jackfruit. The elote is topped with Valentina, crema and cotija cheese, or vegan crema and cheese.

Even the burger comes as the superstar “La Charra” with beef, pastor, cheese, avocado, cilantro, tomato and onion, or in a soy-based version.

Mariachi’s simple menu and niche appeal kept it busy in a pandemic year, along with the booming popularity of birria tacos.

On the west side, Mariachi’s moves into a familiar location where Mariposa’s ruled before taking a much-publicized developer’s offer for a Willow Park location that has never materialized. (It was briefly Fivi’s Kitchen.)

The current Mariachi’s Dine-In opens for lunch and dinner Tuesdays through Saturdays; 682-760-9606, mariachisdinein.com.

13 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

This is in that weird little shopping center behind Mexican Inn/the old Mule. I like tortas, have still not tried birria tacos yet. 

Another great Mexican place that is leaving Sylvania for higher traffic areas. 

23 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I know Angel.  Great guy and has worked his way up thru several kitchens throughout Fort Worth.  I hope he kills it. 

On 3/23/2021 at 6:29 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Had these on Tuesday for the first time at Maestro Tacos (3 for $10) on Bledsoe.  Would recommend them.

• Like 1

I actually emailed Kennedy back in early January for his birria recs because shit was all over my Insta feed, but nothing in FW. He replied right away, said he wasn't on the bandwagon, but this joint is the go-to. 

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057221058542

Apparently long-ass lines, so plan ahead. Wed-Sat 11a-4p only, bring cash. 

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I actually emailed Kennedy back in early January for his birria recs because shit was all over my Insta feed, but nothing in FW. He replied right away, said he wasn't on the bandwagon, but this joint is the go-to. 

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057221058542

Apparently long-ass lines, so plan ahead. Wed-Sat 11a-4p only, bring cash. 

Some of the best street tacos can usually be found in trucks and gas stations.  The folks who make these wonderful options sometimes find success with financial backing to open places of their own like Aaron Franklin once did with his brisket.

8 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Sup bois, starting Monday I’m officially a FW resident. Living a block off Mag. Here for all the recs

Moved 4.5 years ago, so might shit might be dated, but right there you've got Heim for bbq. Lili's for a date spot and some good if not overpriced coffee at Craftwork or Avoca. 

There was a little hole-in-the-wall Thai place off 7th just NE of UNT health science campus that was pretty fucking good. Research says it's now called Tuk Tuk Thai which was not the case in '16, but I'm guessing it's the same ppl. No frills. BYOB. Tasty.

• Hook 'Em 1

If you’re in Fairmount enjoy the neighborhood Facebook group shit show.

Nonna Tata is good stuff, cash only I think
Always good meal at lilis
Shinjuku is solid too
Not far from Derek allans bbq and panther city, both better than heim
Melt is good ice cream shop
Kent co wine bar is a uppity for the area but a nice place on a date night
Not in the hood but cookshack for hot chicken is a better choice than gus’s, but Gus’s is good too

Sounds like you have a job lined up and I think you’re married/engaged too (right?). If so, FW is a great place, if neither of those it’s a little bit of a rougher go than Dallas in my experience. It’s a very small city feel and very clique-y for young professional types, especially if you aren’t from there.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/27/2021 at 3:19 PM, bluto said:

If you’re in Fairmount enjoy the neighborhood Facebook group shit show.

Nonna Tata is good stuff, cash only I think
Always good meal at lilis
Shinjuku is solid too
Not far from Derek allans bbq and panther city, both better than heim
Melt is good ice cream shop
Kent co wine bar is a uppity for the area but a nice place on a date night
Not in the hood but cookshack for hot chicken is a better choice than gus’s, but Gus’s is good too

Sounds like you have a job lined up and I think you’re married/engaged too (right?). If so, FW is a great place, if neither of those it’s a little bit of a rougher go than Dallas in my experience. It’s a very small city feel and very clique-y for young professional types, especially if you aren’t from there.

Haha I’m in a new build apartment building so I’ll probably avoid the neighborhood FB chatter. Might check it for the lulz. Yea I’m newly engaged/new grad first job. Very excited for a change, been in Dallas 4 years and am pretty tired of it. Born and raised in Austin so FW seems more my speed.

At work so I’ll circle back later, but some of mine and my old lady’s favorite spots right there

Sushi Axiom is pretty good. Hatsuyuki is better but holy balls the wait to get in is stupid.

Blue Mesa has a Sunday brunch buffet that is fucking killer.

Rodeo Goat seems to be the more popular burger joint amongst most people I know, but I prefer Fred’s Texas. Never had a bad burger at either one so definitely try both

Stay the hell away from the downtown Hooters. Only thing worse than the food is the scenery/service.

• Like 1

Bluto was not FW, i.e. the chicks never dug him when he was out solo. 
He doesn’t live here anymore. 

I ran through the dozen single gals over there who were under 140# and didn’t have kids, smoke, or have restraining orders.