Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

Goddamn, you deserved everything you got. These were the only two posts about the rooftop bar before you decided to make a reservation. 

On 7/1/2021 at 2:43 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

spacer.png

That seems awfully fucking hot. Quite the creative name too. 

On 7/1/2021 at 3:57 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

I’m sure my wife will find a way to drag us up there. Hopefully there’s a dress code and they won’t let me in.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 11:15 PM, Gil Bang said:

Meh.  They were very close to my hotel.  I'm from fucking San Diego, which has the best Mexican food in the US.   I'll humbly ask a Texan for a BBQ recommendation, but y'all don't know jack shit about Mexican food.  I can be in Mexico in an hour, if I'm compelled.

I just ignorantly walked into a restaurant near my hotel.  Well, first off, I walked into a total shithole with "best happy hour anywhere" posted in the window.   The happy hour sucked, the waitress was a vic special, minus the sharpie eyebrows.   "Jakes" I think it was.   

And, whoever recommended the rooftop bar, thanks, but those fucks don't have their shit together just yet.   Great views, but I sat there for 20 mins and nobody took my drink order so I hauled ass.  And that place is very seasonal...it was hotter than fuck up there. 

Lulz. Goes to Mi Cocina of all places and bitches about Texas Mexican food, fucking spare me.

• Like 1

You fell for a “best happy hour” sign? Who are you? Fucking Buddy Elf?

San Diego may have great Mexican food but it ain’t Tex Mex so you can fuck right off as two different things. Not to mention you went to Mi Cocina.

I’m sure you enjoyed the Mambo Taxi just like all the other women in the place.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

This ain’t cool, although have to admit I only went once. Liked it though. 

In west Fort Worth, The Dive Burger Bar closed but continued burgers as an occasional special at Oscar’s Pub in Ridglea.

And we all knew this fucking place had NO chance. 

The Pennsylvania-based Crab du Jour chain closed a short-lived Cityview location. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

This ain’t cool, although have to admit I only went once. Liked it though. 

And we all knew this fucking place had NO chance. 

Crab du Jour was a one and done for the wife and I.  Worst restaurant experience either of us have had in FW in over 40 years, from the time we ordered and waited 45 minutes to be brought nothing we asked for until I finally told the manager we were leaving and that meal would be comped.  Just a complete shit show that got what was deserved, a good old Chuck Barris gong.

Had the Willow Park Hot Chicks for lunch. My wife went to get it and had to wait a good thirty minutes, but they gave her a free margarita and $5 off for next time. I had the medium heat and it was pretty hot. Kind of a slow build up and after a littlewhileyou realize this shit is hot. The tenders are freaking big too. The combo came with three and that was plenty. I really enjoyed the fries. Overall, it wasn't amazing but it was far from bad. I'm sure we'll have it again at some point. (Gotta use that $5 off at least!)0fd8a2d4e5be939a65b19dca57514acf.jpg

• Like 3

Never change, Como. The Startle-gram write-up... 

A gunman opened fire on a group of people in a Como neighborhood, killing one and injuring three others before he was stoned to death, authorities said.

The gunman and the other person were pronounced dead at the scene. Their names have not been released by authorities.

Police said that a shooting erupted after a disturbance between a group of people who knew each other.

Fort Worth police said the shooting was reported just before 1 a.m. after a fight broke out at a small gathering.

In addition to the two deaths, one person was in critical condition and two people had what police described as non-life-threatening injuries, authorities said.

A man attending the party became upset and left, but he returned with another person, police said. They went to the backyard and argued with several people.

The man shot at least one person in the backyard, and fled as other party-goers chased the shooter, police said.

The shooter turned and fired at the group, but other people picked up concrete landscaping bricks and hurled them at the shooter, police said.

At some point, the shooter was caught by the group, and either fell or was taken down by the group. The shooter continued shooting, striking at least at least three others, authorities said.

One of the gunshot victims died at the scene, police said.

The gunman was struck multiple times with at least one landscaping brick and was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

No one has been arrested, police said.

The shooting happened in the 5600 block of Shiloh Drive, which runs from east from Horne Street to West Vickery Boulevard in the Como area.

Dee Edwards said she heard a commotion and saw people fighting outside her house. 

“I peeked out and looked, I saw two bodies in my driveway,” she said in an interview with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram

She then called the police. 

Debra Mobley, who lives in the neighborhood, said Monday she didn’t hear the shooting but was awakened by police lights.

“First there was one light, then the whole street was filled with police lights,” she said. “This is a quiet street. Nothing like this happens on this street. It’s ridiculous.”

Mobley said the family who lives at the home where the shooting occurred had only been in the neighborhood about a year.

“On weekends they play the music really loud,” she said. “One of my neighbors had to go down there and tell them to turn it down.”

Michael Crain, the councilman for District 3, which includes the Como neighborhood, said that violent crime is increasing across the city and Como is not immune to that statistic. 

“Last night’s incident could have happened anywhere in the city, it just happened in Como,” he said on Monday morning. “Just as the July 4th incident could have happened anywhere else in the city. Crime is increasing across the board.”

In the July 4th incident Crain referred to, eight people were wounded after a shooting near a car wash on Horne Street. It happened a few hours after hundreds attended a July Fourth festival.

Crain said he keeps in constant contact with neighborhood leaders in Como, with Police Chief Neil Noakes and with the Neighborhood Police Officer for the neighborhood to talk about trends and how to address them. 

He has similar conversations about neighborhoods across his district, he said. 

“Como has one of the strongest, if not the strongest neighborhoods in District 3,” Crain said. “This is something bigger that’s happening across the city.”

Initially, there was a 911 hangup call related to the shooting, according to a police call log.

Then, there was a report of five people shot, according to the police call log.

Good try, councilman. That’s right behind the Eskimo Hut on Vickery. 

Edited by shadow_operative2.0

We went to Il Modo this past weekend, the new Italian restaurant in the Harper Hotel. We weren't overly impressed. Food was okay, but for a place that advertises their in-house pasta making and pasta making classes, they only had 4 pasta dishes on the menu - bucatini, spaghetti, linguini, and risotto. That means they basically make spaghetti and linguini in-house, which we each had one of those dishes and they were both just okay. Not really worth the price, and even though Ft Worth has a void of good Italian joints, I still think there are better options.

Edited to add the Harper Hotel does have a whiskey bar on the 24th floor, which we didn't make it up there, but it does look pretty cool. I'll be curious to know if anyone tries it.

We instead opted for Thompson's, which we hadn't been to since pre-COVID but used to really enjoy. I think Thompson's has fallen a bit. They used to have an extensive cocktail menu in a book that you could always find new stuff to try. Now they have a QR code menu with about 10-15 cocktails on it. It wasn't a bad experience, but it felt like a watered down version of the bar.

Edited by wild_turkey

On 11/27/2020 at 6:19 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Just saw this tonight, anyone been? White Settlement Rd next to Bueno, across from Mancuso’s & the liquor store. 

https://charleys.com/phillys

Finally tried it tonight, good cheesesteak, will definitely return. 

I typically don’t care for boneless wings, but they had a sign saying 60 cents on Mon/Tues. Ordered some Cajun, that breading was probably the best I’ve ever had on boneless. 

38 minutes ago, pch said:

Man I miss the Carriage House restaurant in Cowtown.  Wonder if the development outfit is related in any way to that fine establishment.

The three primaries are Kyle Poulson, Jared W. Shope and Richard L. Stuart, per secretary of state.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, pch said:

Man I miss the Carriage House restaurant in Cowtown.  Wonder if the development outfit is related in any way to that fine establishment.

5 hours ago, TyphoonSe7en said:

Carriage House is old school! I remember my parents would go there occasionally when they wanted to do something a little fancier than Mac's House.

Carriage House, Mac's, Swiss House, The Balcony and Century 2 were all popular for high schoolers before dances.  

Edited by cafe society
  • Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 1:13 PM, Angry Gorilla said:

That's where my pediatrician's office was growing up.  /CSB

Same. Mine was Dr Elliott.

A few years ago I made a delivery to his new office on Edwards Ranch and ran into him. When I told him my name he remembered me and my entire family. We hadnt been patients there in probably 20-25 years. I think the last time I went in there he had since retired. What a great man he was

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 5:06 PM, cafe society said:

Carriage House, Mac's, Swiss House, The Balcony and Century 2 were all popular for high schoolers before dances.  

The Balcony was one of my favorite places as a teen. About as highbrow as my family got. The first time we went, my Mom had won a gift certificate off of Channel 11, WBAP, or something like that. I can still remember eating at the Spanish Galleon that used to sit where Pappadeaux's and Pappacito's sit now. There use to be a steakhouse beside there that had ice cream cones and dispensers. Great for all you can waste. 

For my birthday each year, the folks would take me to Bill Martin's 4th Addition across from the Miller Brewery and I got to channel my inner Jameis Winston and eat all the King Crab legs I could eat. All of these places have been gone for decades. Besides The Balcony, all of the others could have been pretty shitty, been too long ago to remember. But Bill Martin's hushpuppies were like crack. My old man would order extra baskets to lower the amount of crab legs he had to buy.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Same. Mine was Dr Elliott.

A few years ago I made a delivery to his new office on Edwards Ranch and ran into him. When I told him my name he remembered me and my entire family. We hadnt been patients there in probably 20-25 years. I think the last time I went in there he had since retired. What a great man he was

Damn, that’s a name from the past. Remember he had a fish tank in his waiting room, that was the shit for a kid. 

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

The Balcony was one of my favorite places as a teen. About as highbrow as my family got. The first time we went, my Mom had won a gift certificate off of Channel 11, WBAP, or something like that. I can still remember eating at the Spanish Galleon that used to sit where Pappadeaux's and Pappacito's sit now. There use to be a steakhouse beside there that had ice cream cones and dispensers. Great for all you can waste. 

For my birthday each year, the folks would take me to Bill Martin's 4th Addition across from the Miller Brewery and I got to channel my inner Jameis Winston and eat all the King Crab legs I could eat. All of these places have been gone for decades. Besides The Balcony, all of the others could have been pretty shitty, been too long ago to remember. But Bill Martin's hushpuppies were like crack. My old man would order extra baskets to lower the amount of crab legs he had to buy.

CHIEF

All great places from my past as well.  The Miller brewery used to give hospitality tours with samples at the end.  It was not unusual for several of us young men to skip the tour and end up in the serving area to knock back a few free beers and then go to Bill Martin's and pound the hush puppies and seafood. Believe the steakhouse you referred to was the Red Rooster according to the wife who grew up here.

• Hook 'Em 1