Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

1 minute ago, Dr Fear said:
14 minutes ago, pch said:
I remember when the seventh street corridor was nothing but abandoned car lots and a few bars when Fred's was about the only going interest.  Always had good food and the staff was always outstanding.  Sad that as you say the decline was very noticeable before COVID and will likely lead to the end of a great FW eatery if it continues in the new location.

Me and Typhoon used to frequent Bronx Zoo. They didn't even have drywall in half the place.

Part of the monthly White Trash Pub Crawl back in the 90's.  Good times, I think?

• Like 1

Well that just sucks about Drew's Place.  It was the best place to eat before going to here live music at Robert Ealey's bluebird blues club.  Both Drew's Place and Drake's Cafeteria on Rosedale were the best places to get soul food.  I shall miss the smothered pork chops with collard greens and broccoli rice & cheese casserole at Drew's that never failed to satisfy on a spiritual level, as well as the best customer service in Fort Worth.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, pch said:

Well that just sucks about Drew's Place.  It was the best place to eat before going to here live music at Robert Ealey's bluebird blues club.  Both Drew's Place and Drake's Cafeteria on Rosedale were the best places to get soul food.  I shall miss the smothered pork chops with collard greens and broccoli rice & cheese casserole at Drew's that never failed to satisfy on a spiritual level, as well as the best customer service in Fort Worth.

I only got to eat there once, but I really enjoyed the food (chicken fried steak) and the fantastic service. 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, pch said:

I always did one smothered and one fried. Sad times. 

• Drool 1

This is the joint in the failed sub shop that also does hot seafood. They may break Crab Du Jour’s record for shortest stay. 

A new restaurant from a Nashville-area family, Helen’s Hot Chicken, opened last month across the intersection at 2812 Horne St. but has been serving limited hours due to staff shortages.

16 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I spend entirely too much time in southern Colorado for work and they put green chiles on everything. Even in their beer. And their favorite burger is called a “slopper”. I can’t do it.

Well, the "Whopper" was already taken by Burger King, so there you go.

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I spend entirely too much time in southern Colorado for work and they put green chiles on everything. Even in their beer. And their favorite burger is called a “slopper”. I can’t do it.

Holy shit, this.  New Mexico, too.  Great area, but the food is a conscious effort to create an identity.  Ugly overcompensation.

3 hours ago, pied06 said:

Back in the office for a bit(at least).  Someone said Serious Pizza on 7th is good, and has HUGE slices.  

Has anyone been, if so worth trying?

These were the two reviews I found. 

On 6/26/2021 at 8:46 PM, fwtxbevo said:

The slice is freaking huge! Like the size of 2 large slices. Very little pizza sauce so it tasted dry. Pretty cool vibe though. 

On 7/6/2021 at 2:50 PM, JOSEYWALES66 said:

It's actually $5.75 for a slice of cheese pizza.  $1 for each additional topping.  It is a big slice though.  I thought it was okay.  Not really notable. 

Edited by shadow_operative2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Funny you mention Nizza's.  A friend of mine who used to frequent the place when back there last week and said it wasn't the same.

Have you been recently?

I ordered shortly after the renovation was done and didn't notice a drop off. I do also like Zalat but I think Nizza is still > Zalat. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just saw the Texas Exes watch party email at WoB. Has anyone attended one this season? Bet that’s a meager fucking turnout now. 
We went up there for the opener, attendance was definitely down. They do have the game audio on, which is nice. Let me know if you go, I may be able to sneak away from the house for a bit.

I’m not, was just wondering. 
I’ve never actually been there, is it full bar? 
Typical exchange...
Waitress: Here's the beer menu, I will give y'all a minute to..
Dr Fear: Actually, I want a well whiskey and diet, double tall. Everyone else needs to look over the menu.
  • Like 1

I think the last game we watched at WoB was that terrible Kansas home game where KU scored 47 or whatever and almost beat us. 

By the second half we were outnumbered in there by KU football fans.

I didn't even know KU football fans existed. 

So I don't go anymore. 

On 11/5/2021 at 4:03 PM, Sal said:

I went to Dayne's fairly recently and don't think it holds a candle to Panther City. How early would I need to get to Goldee's to get brisket? I'd be fine picking up as well but didn't see a way to do that. 

Online for Goldee's is shut down at the moment. Someone the other day got in line by 9am and had brisket by 1p

Play stupid games... 

A man is in critical condition Sunday after he threatened an AutoZone employee while pretending to have a gun, then was shot by the employee, according to a Fort Worth police spokesman. 

Officer Tracy Carter, a spokesman for police, said the clerk at the AutoZone at 8636 S. Hulen Street is being cooperative in the investigation. The man who was shot around 11 a.m. Sunday was “irate” and patted himself as if he had a weapon, police said.

The man who was shot was taken to the hospital in critical condition. Police have not released any information about his latest condition.

The shooting is under investigation. Police did not announce any charges or indicate whether they plan to pursue any.

In this week’s edition of fun on the west side… 

Dude stabbed another guy in the neck in one of those shitty apartments around LVT, stole his truck, repeatedly drove it into a game room in the complex behind Taco Casa on 80 killing a guy, then killed a woman at a bus stop trying to flee. That's a hell of a spree.

Video of the eventual SWAT standoff here.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/11/10/man-custody-fort-worth-police-chase-standoff-subdivision/

13 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Ron Gentry, 72-year old owner of Kincaid’s, passed away last week, so hit up the OG location for first visit in a LONG time. That shit still fucking rocks. 

RIP to one of the nicest men in the restaurant business who never met a stranger and defined good customer service.  So many days of my life were spent eating a burger at the OG location and then spending the afternoon consuming adult beverages at the Showdown.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pch said:

RIP to one of the nicest men in the restaurant business who never met a stranger and defined good customer service.  So many days of my life were spent eating a burger at the OG location and then spending the afternoon consuming adult beverages at the Showdown.

I never met Ron, but I know his son John and he is a great guy. RIP

• Hook 'Em 1