Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

Tried Wishbone and Flynt last night. Apps were great, beef skewers were the best bite of the night. My lamb shank entree was bland as fuck though. Either I got temporary covid tongue or they used zero salt in the shank or the polenta. Will give it another go though as the other entrees at our table looked great. 

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1

For @Herbie Hancock & @Dr Fear, behind that Firehouse/Starbucks. 

Burgers will replace doughnuts in an Eighth Avenue space in the hospital district.

But these aren’t just any burgers. 

Derek Allan’s Wagyu Burgers, 1000 Eighth Avenue, will serve thin-patty burgers smashed and crisped on the grill at the new cousin restaurant to his Derek Allan’s Texas Barbecue in the next block.

The burgers will be made from a blend of Wagyu brisket and chuck from the barbecue restaurant, Allan said this week. 

“This spot came open, and there’s no hamburger place around here,” he said.

It’s amazing to think there was anywhere in Fort Worth that didn’t have a hamburger place. But he’s right.

The Near Southside corner of Eighth Avenue and Rosedale Street near Cook Children’s hospital has burritos, barbecue and coffee, but no burgers.

It’s at least a five-block walk to Lili’s Bistro for a lunch burger. And the nearest takeout burger grills are a Braum’s Ice Cream & Dairy Store or the old-timey, 1976-vintage Good Luck Drive In.

None is anything like the grill Allan plans. He’ll serve thin and juicy burgers in the awkward space that was formerly home to a Funky Town Donuts, which continues in its Sundance Square space at 132 E. Fourth St. 

“They’re just different — the thin burgers that you smash on the grill just melt in your mouth,” he said.

He’ll offer a menu of regular burgers with toppings such as his “beef bacon,” along with fries and shakes.

“I want to give the hospital crowd something new,” he said.

There’s only one concern about the location: You can’t see it.

It’s wedged behind a bank and a Starbucks, a block north of Rosedale Street.

“That’s exactly what I said,” Allan said. “When Funky Town was closing, my wife said, ‘Let’s go,’ and I said, ‘Where? I can’t see it.’ “

“My Number One goal for that spot is to bring more visibility.”

It’ll open by fall, and Allan plans an expanded patio and parking lot activities, he said.

And Mayfest is tomorrow thru Sunday, free admission tomorrow. 

• Like 1

A new brewpub will open by fall in the Village at Camp Bowie shopping center, 6333 Camp Bowie Blvd. Burleson-based Old Texas Brewing Co. will open its second location. It’s where Baker St. Pub closed years ago, in a huge space near Sunset Drive and a Sprouts grocery only a few blocks from popular Wild Acre Brewing.

The long vacant Baker St. is getting a new tenant. 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t get in line at any time of day for Heim. Hurtado is downtown/east Arlington and Zavala’s is Grand Prairie so yeah not quite anywhere near cowtown there either

Different options depending which way one is going from Goldee’s area. Pretty quick to downtown Arlington .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity seems fun. 

Two people were injured around 1:30 a.m. Sunday at Varsity Tavern after police said a man fired into the crowd there and fled the area on foot. 

Fort Worth police said the two victims were found with gunshot wounds and taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Officers in the area reported hearing gunshots and then were told by a witness that they saw a man shooting into the crowd and fleeing from the location on foot, police spokesman Officer Tracy Carter said. 

It’s not yet clear if there were any injuries of people who witnesses said were knocked to the ground trying to get out of the nightclub in the West 7th district. 

About 10 minutes after the shooting, an estimated 150 people had gathered on sidewalks and in the street on Morton Street between Norwood Street and Currie Street.

Some groups gathered in the area got into small fights, some of them broken up by police, but no arrests related to the fights were immediately evident.

Around 2 a.m., police began ordering people around Varsity Tavern to disperse, then bicycle officers and two patrol cars went east on Morris Street ordering people to get off the streets.

Coming down I-30 yesterday about 11:00 am there were about 8 motorcycle cops lined up on the shoulder near the University exit. Then between Montgomery and Hulen, I saw 6 different cops (motorcycle and cars) had pulled various people over. Was this just a massive speed trap or was something else going on? Never seen that many cops in such a small area just for the sake of writing speeding tickets.

4 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Coming down I-30 yesterday about 11:00 am there were about 8 motorcycle cops lined up on the shoulder near the University exit. Then between Montgomery and Hulen, I saw 6 different cops (motorcycle and cars) had pulled various people over. Was this just a massive speed trap or was something else going on? Never seen that many cops in such a small area just for the sake of writing speeding tickets.

Harrison Ford is in town, haven't you heard?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

They do it all the time. A few weeks ago they were on 820 from 30 to Silver Creek Rd. Selective traffic enforcement or some shit.

Somebody's got to pay for the never fucking ending construction on 7th Street.

Somebody's got to pay for the never fucking ending construction on 7th Street.

Now they are about to embark on a complete overhaul of Lancaster on the east side from Dottie Lynn Parkway to Henderson. That’s a fucked up project that won’t do a thing for that side of town. Might make a nicer area for the hookers, meth heads, and robbers.

They can admire the vintage look fancy street lights and work their panhandling from a nice median.

It’s a shame FW has neglected the east side since annexing it in the 40’s. Meadowbrook should be a highly desirable area as it has location, trees, vintage houses, and elevations.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/15/2022 at 5:04 PM, Fudbelty said:

I’d put good money that someone from this site was planning to attend. 

0085f1a43831932aaf2f19439d9b0127.png

They’re back. 

The Hollywood Knockouts, a touring show of bikini-clad female oil wrestlers, are coming to Fort Worth a month after five of their members were arrested in North Texas on marijuana charges.

—— 

According to a Facebook event listing, the performers are set to be at Whiskey Garden on West 7th at 9:30 p.m. on Tuesday, the same venue they were scheduled for in April before the arrests forced them to cancel. 

headed to dickies arena tonight. never been there and know fuck all about fort worth dining.  anything convenient to that area that is worth checking out on the way?

I like Railhead too as it’s been forgotten in the craft cue days like Angelo’s and David’s. It’s solid brisket, good sausage, great homemade fries with onions, sides and ice cold beer in frozen goblets. I ate there weekly for years when I worked downtown.

You’re close to Magnolia St. Great sushi at Shinjuku Station, Gus’ Hot Chicken (from Mason TN, it’s a different kind than Nashville hot but great), Heim Bbq, Shaw’s Grill is solid bar joint.

Also close to cultural district. Lucille’s is solid American bistro place, I hear Hatsuyuki Handroll Bar is good. The place is loaded with places to go.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, sidis said:

headed to dickies arena tonight. never been there and know fuck all about fort worth dining.  anything convenient to that area that is worth checking out on the way?

New fancy Mex (not tex mex it appears) place opened up nearby Don Artemio, lots of talk. Winslow’s wine cafe not far either. Besides taco heads not much for walking distance tho. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Angry Gorilla said:

I'm headed to Dickie's tonight as well and am opting for Roger's Roundhouse.  Food is good not great, but has a nice outdoor patio and shouldn't be crowded and is very convenient to Dickie's.

i like that burger.