Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

He’s the same goof that recommended Zavala and Hurtado when someone asked for FW bbq recs. He ain’t exactly Magellan

As I recall the recs were in a radius from Goldie’s, not specifically Ft Worth. Distance to downtown Arlington about same but whatever.

In this case if you’re driving a distance to Ft Worth for an event, then unless you’re wanting a walking distance joint then it really doesn’t matter. Magnolia isn’t that far. Jeez you talk like Ft Worth is ducking New York.

On 5/17/2022 at 10:09 PM, Frank Erwin said:

Drove by Grumps at noon and place was packed.  Also, J's Casa Burger was shut down?

J's used to be Burgitos. Same guy owns both. They had weird pre-pandemic hours, some days they would be closed mid-week. Haven't been there in over 2 years. Rarely hear anyone talk about it. 

That side of town has Griff's, Grump's, and J's. Interesting options. 

On 3/1/2019 at 10:07 AM, Errestaurants said:

I grew up in Haltom City. David E. Smith>North Oaks> Haltom High. Place been a shit show forever. My Dad never liked Bill or Clown Burger. My first job was at Stop n Stock across the street from Clown Burger on Stanley Keller and Haltom Rd. I know, CSB.

On 5/6/2022 at 2:27 PM, LW Goatman said:

Anybody ever been to the Clown Burger in Haltom City? My dad took me to that place a few times when I was a kid, over 30 years ago. Looks like it may have closed and reopened. The stand itself was a classic burger joint. All i remember was a white bag soaked in grease that bled through and the cooks were yelling at each other the whole time. 

52 Haltom City Tx ideas | haltom city, old fort, fort worth texas

Stealing Goatman's post from the burger stands thread. Changing ownership at the end of the year. 

Clown Burger, a traditional hamburger stand unchanged since it opened in 1959, will change hands to a new owner Jan. 1, owner Kari Snodgrass announced in a weekend Facebook post.

After a series of mishaps including a broken foot and back, Snodgrass wrote that her family has decided to sell the landmark burger stand, 5010 Stanley Keller Road, to another Haltom City family.

She declined to name the new owner. He is a lifelong Haltom City resident, she said.

“It is time to part ways,” she wrote on an online message.

“We feel it’s time for a new family to come in and love it as much as we have.”

Clown Burger is a throwback to the era of drive-ins, Elvis Presley and poodle skirts.

First at its original location at 5512 E. Belknap St., then on Stanley Keller Road, it serves old-school thin-patty double cheeseburgers that taste mostly of cheese, mustard and chopped white onions, along with hot dogs and fresh-cut, thin french fries.

Clown Burger was the first clown in town. It opened two years before the Griff’s Burger Bar chain and three years before McDonald’s launched Texas locations, followed by Jack in the Box.

Snodgrass’s father, Bill Louthan, retired in 2016 after 53 years working the grill.

“I did ask my father’s advice and we came to the agreement that it is time to sell,” Snodgrass said.

Her last day will be Dec. 16, she said.

The restaurant is currently closed while she recovers from the foot injury.

When she recovers, Clown Burger will be open for lunch Tuesday through Saturday; 817-298-1477, facebook.com/ClownBurger.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

It’s good they found a local to buy it who seems to be planning to keep it Clown Burger. I prefer Griffs but it’s good. Too often these storefronts are converted to vape shops, threading shops, and fried swai shops.

Shoulda told everyone the new owner was from Chicago and enjoyed a couple months of increased business from local rubes trying to "save" it

He was inside a home on Lakeside Drive last Friday when police had a warrant for his arrest based on tips and [b]multiple overdose calls connected to the address.[/b]

Man, I would think the first overdose call to his house should have been a sign to move the operation.

Railhead is solid. Reminds me of what BBQ used to be, ribs good french fries and sauce.   Not gonna turn a lot of eyes on Instagram but dang happy when you leave. They has some huge schooners of beer too. 

I too have returned to Railhead. Solid choice brisket, great fries with jalapeños, ice cold goblets of beer. This is true Texas barbecue, as much social as food driven.

5 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I too have returned to Railhead. Solid choice brisket, great fries with jalapeños, ice cold goblets of beer. This is true Texas barbecue, as much social as food driven.

It's been a while for me to eat 'cue in Fort Worth.  I always liked Railhead just fine, but was always more of an Angelo's fan.  Loved getting those frozen schooners of beer for an extra $0.25 over a normal draft beer.  What have they been up to lately?

When I was downtown around the Federal courthouse at lunchtime, I always thought that Bailey's did a credible chopped/sliced brisket or sliced hot gut sandwich.  Is that place still there?

4 hours ago, Bigbend1812 said:

65DAB583-906C-4E74-AD9E-4F46ADEB2906.thumb.jpeg.df4f15ae3e820103d18e89b55212830e.jpeg

Well…how was it? Or did you die?

Signed up and never heard anything. Post said 4 people and by the time I signed up there were 20+ comments. Decided against driving an hour into town to find out I can’t do it. I have no doubt I would have crushed it. I had 4 burgers at Rodeo Goat Thursday before last

• Haha 1

It's been a while for me to eat 'cue in Fort Worth.  I always liked Railhead just fine, but was always more of an Angelo's fan.  Loved getting those frozen schooners of beer for an extra $0.25 over a normal draft beer.  What have they been up to lately?
When I was downtown around the Federal courthouse at lunchtime, I always thought that Bailey's did a credible chopped/sliced brisket or sliced hot gut sandwich.  Is that place still there?

Angelos is still there. I like it but I prefer Railhead in the standard cue joint. I live near David’s in Arlington and it’s our normal go to.

Baileys is still there. Haven’t eaten there since around 2005.
  • Hook 'Em 1

National Donut Day Collaboration: TX Whiskey + FunkyTown Donuts & Drafts

Let’s celebrate a sweet holiday – National Donut Day! Join us for an exciting donut & whiskey pairing with FunkyTown Donuts & Drafts.

Pairings: Peachy Keen: TX Whiskey, Tea, Peach, Chipotle Honey, Lemon – paired with: A Mini Blueberry Glaze Bullseye Donut Filled with House-made Peach Jam Pecan Old Fashioned: TX Bourbon, Brown Sugar Pecan Simple, Angostura Bitters – paired with: A Mini Maple Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich The Bluebonnet: TX Whiskey, Guava Nectar, Lemon, Blueberry, Honey, Rose Water – paired with: A Mini Lemon Glazed Donut Filled with Strawberry Mascarpone Whip

Tickets include admission & 3 mini donuts paired with 3 TX whiskey cocktails. And, DJ Jason Esquire will be spinning some funky tunes! No Refunds. 21&Up only.

June 3, 6-9p, $25 

On 5/24/2022 at 6:42 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Angelos is still there. I like it but I prefer Railhead in the standard cue joint. I live near David’s in Arlington and it’s our normal go to.

Baileys is still there. Haven’t eaten there since around 2005.

Growing up as a kid, my dad would religiously bring home those baby blue plastic containers full of chop and sides from Angelos. That stuff on some white bread buns was heaven. When I was a kid, they had sawdust on the floor. I haven't been there in 25 years. 

• Hook 'Em 3

CSB time about Lucile’s; I helped build the large oak stand the receptionist use when you walk in circa 2004. We had an old Quonset hut off Foch street that we rented and used as carpenter shop. West 7th was way different back then with the old acme brick building ; Fred’s was going strong and used to have topless postcards in the mens bathroom

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/25/2022 at 9:30 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Don’t worry, I’m a big Lisa’s fan too, but 80 is closest to me. 

28th Street location was in my rotation when working on the northside.  Now going to W. Cleburne close to the home.

Angelo's survived some pretty lean years caused by the WS bridge boondoggle. They used to be king of FW BBQ. When the Super Bowl was here in 2011 they were shut down cuz of the ice storm, but got a call from somebody with the Steelers. So they opened up so Ben Roethlisberger and the Offensive line could come in and drop several grand on food and beer.

Now that its a lot easier to get down there I hope they get back to the top. The operator Jason and his wife Storm are good people

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

My old man used to take us to Angelo's when we were little. Loved having a chopped sandwich and a can of Dr. Pepper. I took my little boy there not long ago just because. Chopped was still good and we took a picture with the bear.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

And in other restaurant/bar news... 

Alongside manufacturing growth, Bishop Cider’s Cidercade, a cider bar with games and varieties of beer choices and food, will expand into Fort Worth and Arlington, adding to its three current Texas locations in Dallas, Austin and Houston.

“Construction is currently underway on Cidercade Fort Worth, located just south of downtown,” the news release said. “It will be the largest Cidercade to date at 25,000 square feet and is expected to open by the end of summer.”

The Cidercade Fort Worth location will be at 1813 W. Bowie St.

Sunday, May 29, is the last lunch at 2735 W. Fifth St. on the west side before Dayne’s Craft Barbecue moves back to the south side at 2000 W. Berry St. Expect plenty of barbecue and Dayne’s specialty burgers at lunch Friday and Sunday, and barbecue and tacos Saturday.

Go early — it opens at 11 a.m. It’ll reopen June 17 on Berry.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 1:03 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Ate at Grumps in Burleson twice long ago and didn’t have a great experience either time.

The Granbury location has never disappointed. Hope the FW location and Burleson get up to speed.

On 6/9/2022 at 12:36 PM, cafe society said:

South of 820.  Near All Saints, I think.

The correct reply is always 1/4 mile from Colonial. 

Fort Worth police are investigating a shooting Friday morning at the Club at Stonegate Apartments, at 4100 Stonegate Blvd. in southwest Fort Worth. 

A 911 caller reported shots fired about 7 a.m. but would not go into more details about what happened over the phone, according to a police incident report.

A police spokesperson confirmed there was a shooting but said they couldn’t release more information until they received an update from homicide investigators.

That’s an awful lot of angst waiting for Trader Joe’s to open.