Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

Looks pretty damn good. 

https://belzoniscatfishcafe.com/menu

All catfish restaurants are not created equal, and sometimes there’s a big difference.

Belzoni’s Catfish Cafe on West Loop 820 seems a fin above the rest, and owner Dwight Cooley says there’s a reason.

“We’re from Belzoni, Mississippi, the Catfish Capital of the World,” he said one day last week, doing an interview after hours as even more customers peered through the window of his 9-table, 30-seat cafe.

If Belzoni’s catfish tastes familiar, there’s a reason. He used to run a festival stand named Cooley’s Catfish, selling catfish fillets as light and crunchy as potato chips that festivalgoers could pick up and eat as finger food.

After a detour into schoolteaching and administration, he’s back selling catfish along with burgers and side dishes in a tiny cafe at 110 N. Jim Wright Freeway on the corner at White Settlement Road.

“We take fish that’s farm-raised in Mississippi,” Cooley said, “then we add our special mix of cornmeal and special breading.

“When you have good catfish. if you break it open, it should be pure — no fishy smell or taste.”

The first question to ask about a catfish restaurant these days is: “Is this real catfish?” Look for boxes in the cooler, if it’s visible. If it says “swai” or “basa,” the fish might be tasty, but it’s not the same as pure, clean Mississippi-raised.

“Catfish is what we eat in Belzoni,” Cooley said.

“I traded in my doctorate to become a head fry cook.”

He’s added something new every week: burgers, a choice of sriracha tartar sauce, catfish fritters (“rounds”), a house-made green pepper sauce of vinegary Tabasco peppers, fried green tomatoes.

Belzoni’s is only open at lunch weekdays and Saturdays now but will add dinner later.

“We’re not a big place,” he said. “We’re going to be careful not to grow until we’re ready.”

Belzoni’s opens 11 a,m.-2 p.m. for lunch only on Tuesdays through Fridays, and noon-4 p.m. for lunch only on Saturdays; 817-386-0714, belzoniscatfishcafe.com.

On 9/10/2019 at 4:56 PM, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Barrel and Bones, the BBQ joint in Montgomery Plaza, has closed per Bud Kennedy.

That spot is cursed.  

On 9/10/2019 at 5:19 PM, JOSEYWALES66 said:

The Cajun place closed too.

We should have a Fake Michael Irvin announcing these closures the same way the school closures are done.

40 minutes ago, bluto said:

Sonovabitch my DQ on montgomery sold off/closed now that the arena and roadwork is almost complete. Damnittttt

Was open for 50+ years.  Fort Worth Urban was speculating a small hotel may go in there.  FYI, depending on where you live, there is a new DQ in Westworth Village across from the la Fitness that may not bee to much further.

Was open for 50+ years.  Fort Worth Urban was speculating a small hotel may go in there.  FYI, depending on where you live, there is a new DQ in Westworth Village across from the la Fitness that may not bee to much further.

Tough to beat my 2 blocks away from the montgomery shop... hits very close to home. Have to wonder if the dq buyers are taking the vacant lot directly behind it too, fairly large tract if combined.

There was talk of another boutique hotel at the dry ice place on Byers but I think the neighborhood assholes shut it down Bc the dev group wanted a slight variance for a bar in it.

Well, this certainly doesn’t suck. 

Award-winning Enchiladas Olé, a homespun restaurant that started as a craft enchilada sauce business, will move into a former taco restaurant on Forest Park Boulevard near TCU, owner Mary Perez said Thursday.

The restaurant, 2418 Forest Park Blvd., needs some repairs but will open by the new year, Perez said. The current restaurant, 901 N. Sylvania Ave., will remain open through Thanksgiving week, she said.

It’s a crosstown move for Enchiladas Olé, voted one of the 10 best Tex-Mex restaurants in Texas in a USA Today poll and also voted to a “10 best queso” list.

The new location is near Black Rooster Bakery on the corner at Park Hill Drive. The space was formerly home to Revolver Taco, and retains its Tex-Mex decor. Before that, it held Sapristi and City Park Cafe.

The current Enchiladas Olé has been beset with air conditioning problems and has limited parking.

Perez opened a business selling complicated, craft enchilada sauces, and customers asked her to open a restaurant. The Sylvania Avenue location opened in 2013.

It was warm in there last month. 

18 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Guess I missed that. How long ago was it? 

Late August?  It wasn't in the news, I heard it from a buddy that is a manager at the Collins location in Arlington.

BTW, some sort of new restaurant is going in next to The Bucket at the old Salsa Fuego.

On 10/2/2019 at 4:16 PM, spystud13 said:

Guess I missed that. How long ago was it? 

It was in late August iirc.  I was on the tollway at 6am and saw the smoke/flames pouring out of it along with numerous FW firetrucks. 

Edited by pch

As a SWAT investigation continues in downtown Fort Worth following a woman’s suicide attempt, the city is saying there’s no threat to the public while alerting residents that certain streets will be closed.

A spokeswoman for the city confirmed there was a suicide attempt near St. Patrick Cathedral across the street from City Hall. A woman was on top of a building, according to Officer Tracy Carter, a police spokesman.

There are a high volume of first responders in the area and several roads were closed, the Fort Worth Office of Emergency Management said in a tweet around 11:10 a.m. Additionally, City Hall and the Zipper Building were sheltering in place to accommodate first responders and avoid civilian interference.

People are asked to enter City Hall only through the west side of the building, and there’s no entrance or exit on the east side, the Office of Emergency Management said in a tweet. All entrances and exits to the Zipper Building are reportedly closed until further notice.

The streets that are closed include: Jennings Avenue from Lancaster Avenue to 10th Street; Texas Street from Monroe Street to Throckmorton Street; and Throckmorton Street from Texas Street to 10th Street.

Police asked the media on Twitter to avoid flying helicopters downtown amid the SWAT investigation, as officers were having trouble hearing.

Another one... 

The city’s best barbecue is not all on Magnolia Avenue or the west side.

Smoke-A-Holics BBQ is drawing barbecue customers to 1417 Evans Ave., where pitmaster Derrick Walkersmokes and serves the same prime brisket, Duroc ribs and turkey.

It’s a first: a restaurant east of the South Freeway serving craft barbecue like Heim or Derek Allan’s or Panther City, but smoked over pecan wood with a lighter rub and sauce in a style Walker calls “Tex-soul.”

At Smoke-A-Holics, the flavor of the meat isn’t dominated by black pepper or sauce. You taste the prime brisket or top-grade pork, sliced meticulously and served on a tray with side dishes like smoked mac-and-cheese, collards with pork or baked beans with pork shoulder.

“It just seems like I’m the new guy on the scene, but I’ve been out here doing barbecue from a truck for years,” Walker said.

He used to set up shop on South Hulen Street, but decided to launch his restaurant closer to home.

He rented a popular neighborhood bakery known for wedding cakes and turned it into a barbecue palace that now draws crowds from John Peter Smith Hospital across the freeway and from new office developments nearby.

Texas Monthly magazine took an immediate liking, saying that Smoke-A-Holics is helping to revitalize the historic southside and Evans Avenue, much quieter now than in its rough-and-tumble days.

The customers say Smoke-A-Holics reminds them of Jimmie’s Bar-B-Que, a beloved 1970s-80s rib haven on East Tucker Street known for its garlicky rub.

Walker, 42, grew up going to the old Adam’s Rib restaurants or Robinson’s Bar-B-Que, still a good stop on East Berry Street.

He went to culinary school and used to run hospital food service.

Now he’s one of the young pitmasters giving Fort Worth a reputation as the “next big thing” in Texas barbecue.

“I love what’s going on,” he said.

“Barbecue was always big but suddenly people started getting awards for it. Now a lot of guys are getting creative — they’re doing some amazing stuff.”

He’s bucking the trend by not heavily peppering his brisket or using a thicker sauce. And he’s proud of focusing on “meat first.”

“In Central Texas they think you need black pepper to make a good brisket, but I took mine way back so people can taste the prime beef,” he said.

The sauce is particularly distinctive.

“It’s homemade with a little fruit undertone and peppers,” he said.

“I don’t want anything to take away from the meat.”

He buys smoked or jalapeno-cheddar sausage from a Waco company and sells 200 pounds a week, he said.

Smoke-A-Holics also sells chicken, turkey and rib tips. One special is the “Big Macc,” a bowl of smoked mac-and-cheese with choped brisket, sausage, onions and sauce ($8).

Walker plans to add smoked chicken-and-dumplings.

Plates cost $13-$17, sandwiches $5.50 (for bologna) and $7 up to $11.

Smoke-A-Holics also serves typical soul-food desserts such as sweet-potato pie and Coca-Cola cake.

Maybe the most notable point about Smoke-A-Holics: It’s open for lunch and dinner Wednesday through Saturday, four full days and not one or two.

Look for it on Evans Avenue between East Rosedale and East Allen streets, two blocks east of the South Freeway (Interstate 35W); 817-386-5658, smoke-a-holicsbbq.com.

First I remember hearing of this case. 

Gerald “Jerry” Shults and Amy Herrig, joint owners of a chain of head shops called the Gas Pipe, were each sentenced to three years in federal prison on Tuesday for defrauding the federal government.

Federal attorneys argued that the father and daughter owners of the stores, Shults and Herrig, were selling a mislabeled synthetic marijuana product known by some as spice or K2, which was legal at one time by federal standards, but then the laws were changed.

A jury found Shults and his daughter guilty in October 2018 of conspiring to defraud the United States, a federal felony, and not guilty on all other counts, according to the U. S. Attorney’s Office.

Shults and Herrig were indicted along with scores of their employees in 2014 for their alleged roles in a “massive synthetic-drug distribution conspiracy.”

George Milner III, the attorney for Shults, 73, and Herrig, 44, argues that the current laws need to be changed again to something more understandable.

“The law is vague,” Milner said. “Lawmakers should rewrite it so that people can determine what conduct is and what conduct is not prohibited. It’s time for lawmakers to write a clear law. I think what they want to say is that if it gets you high and it’s not alcohol, it’s a crime. But that’s not the law.”

Shults has been ordered to surrender to federal prison officials in early November, Milner said. Herrig will be able to remain free for the next two years, he said. The staggered surrender dates will allow the owners to keep the remaining stores open so that the store employees can keep their jobs, Milner said.

A forfeiture case involving assets valued at more than $16 million was settled, Milner said. Two stores in Austin were sold and some assets were forfeited in order to complete the settlement arrangement, according to Milner.

Prior to trials when fraud convictions were announced, Shults and Herrig faced multiple drug and drug-related charges.

“They are disappointed,” Milner said about Shults’ and Herrig’s moods. “They were hoping for a shorter sentence.”

IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE

Before the not guilty verdict on 11 counts of drug possession and sales charges, Shults was facing a possible sentence of life in prison.

And it was federal time, where most people typically serve most of their sentence.

But the jury found Shults and his daughter guilty on only one minor felony count. 

Shults, 73, a former Vietnam veteran who owns the Ridglea Theater in Fort Worth, a string of head shops in Texas and New Mexico called the Gas Pipe, five airplanes, an Alaskan resort and a pleasure craft, could have seen all that fade away.

Shults is believed to have invested between $1 million and $2 million to acquire and renovate the Ridglea Theater, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Shults never did care that much about the money, Milner said.

But the government did, Milner said.

“In my opinion, from day one, this was only about the money,” Milner said. “This thing should have been settled with a cease and desist letter. If they had done it that way, Jerry would have quit. But then they would have never gotten at the money.”

Those prosecuting the case said the jury did good work, after the guilty verdict was announced.

“As always, we respect the jury’s decision,” said Erin Nealy Cox, U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Texas, in a statement after the guilty verdict. “Following the announcement of the verdict, Mr. Shults and Ms. Herrig left the courtroom as convicted felons ... The jury found that for years, the defendants peddled dangerous synthetic cannabinoids — also known as ‘spice’— as innocuous ‘herbal incense’ products, causing harm to our citizens.”

If you were living under a rock this weekend (or drunk the whole time like I was), you may have missed that Fort Worth now has its own police shooting getting national coverage.  Initial details look really bad for the cop, they were set to be fired this morning but quit first.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Fort-Worth-Police-to-Hold-Press-Conference-After-Shooting-Killing-Woman-in-Home-563004851.html

Did Rogers Roundhouse ever get covered in this thread? I am thinking of that as a possible pre-TCU game spot, haven't been to this place yet because of the bizarre location.  

Not doing any tailgating this year and I expect Buff Bros and Univ Pub will be filled with purple dorks. I want some room to breathe and to watch Ohio State Wisconsin and get drunk. Plus the weather looks like it might be decent, and you could Uber a straight shot down Colonial Pkwy and get pretty close to the stadium without dealing with University.

11 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Did Rogers Roundhouse ever get covered in this thread? I am thinking of that as a possible pre-TCU game spot, haven't been to this place yet because of the bizarre location.  

Not doing any tailgating this year and I expect Buff Bros and Univ Pub will be filled with purple dorks. I want some room to breathe and to watch Ohio State Wisconsin and get drunk. Plus the weather looks like it might be decent, and you could Uber a straight shot down Colonial Pkwy and get pretty close to the stadium without dealing with University.

I would say it the biggest thing is to expect a fair amount of kids to be running around on the patio.  TV situation is just ok, I thought the food was decent.