Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

44 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Just got the okay to leave the family for a few hours and watch the Mexico match tomorrow morning, any ideas on places I should go to?

Appreciate the help. Staying off bledsoe, next to rodeo goat

Should be several bars showing it around there.  I know Boomer Jacks in Montgomery Plaza has been carrying all the matches. Only a 5 or 6 block walk from your location. 

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:22 PM, spystud13 said:

Anyone been to Niles City Hall in Northside? 

Is that new? I don't remember what was previously in that spot, if anything.  My memories of nights in the Stockyards are usually a bit....hazy.

Speaking of hazy memories, I can't remember if I had been to Proper on Magnolia before or not, but spent a few hours there this weekend and really enjoyed it. If you haven't been there, the place probably only holds about maybe 20-30 people inside. They were doing pretty good business and we couldn't get 3 seats together so we camped out on the small back patio. Even though it's hotter than fuck outside, even at 9pm, it was comfortable out there with the fan circulating the air and a double EH Taylor pour in hand.

Added bonus, when some of the Magnolia restaurants close, you'll get some quite pretty service industry ladies popping in for a late-night after-work drink or two. This is certainly not a place for bros night out or anything but a little extra scenery never hurts. Proper is the kind of good grown up bar that grown up cities have in abundance. More of that, please.

Speaking of hazy memories, I can't remember if I had been to Proper on Magnolia before or not, but spent a few hours there this weekend and really enjoyed it.

I’ve been to Proper a few times and really like it for reasons you mentioned. It’s a cocktail-focused bar that’s more relaxed than Thompson’s.

We almost went there on Saturday but we were concerned about the patio being too hot, so good to know that it was still comfortable out there.

Speaking of Thompson’s, we went there a couple weeks ago for the first time in a few months. They changed their menu such that they no longer tell you the specific ingredients (even the type of liquor) in their cocktails. Unless you’re getting a standard drink with known ingredients, you have to ask them or guess what’s in everything. Kind of annoying.

The cursed corner spot in Montgomery Plaza is reopening soon.   I think this is the 7th or 8th different restaurant that has been in that spot.

I don't believe a formal announcement has happened yet but someone asked one of the renovation workers and he said it was going to be a BBQ and oyster bar.

I really hope something got lost in the translation.

So the last two places which failed were a crab / seafood joint and a bbq joint.

Genius business move to reopen as a combination of both failed concepts.

I think a BBQ spot could potentially have worked in there if they hadn't given it a dumb fuck name like Honey Smoke Pit BBQ.  I wish Frankie's could come back to FW< open in that spot, and run BoomerJack's out of business in Montgomery Plaza. Win-win.

29 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:

Didn't someone on here say they talked to the owner of the last restaurant there about how much money they invested on the indoor smoker?

I wonder if new owner just wanted an oyster bar but then noticed all the expensive BBQ equipment.

That was me. A friend that works at Ben E. Keith told me they spent an large amount on a smoker that has an air scrubber so the area didn't smell BBQ-ey.

Oops. 

Celebrity chef Grady Spears was arrested early Tuesday on suspicion of assault resulting in bodily injury, according to Tarrant County Jail records.

Spears, 49, is being held without bond. The arrest was made at around midnight in the 2700 block of Meadowbrook Drive, according to the Fort Worth Police Department.

Police were sent to Spears' home at around 11:51 p.m. on a report of a domestic disturbance. A woman had bruising to her face and body, police said. She told officers that Spears hit her multiple times.

He was arrested without incident.

In 2015, Spears, a Fort Worth native, founded the Stockyards-area Horseshoe Hill Cafe, which specializes in varieties of chicken-fried steaks.

He was the first chef at Reata, a restaurant owned by the Micallef family with locations in downtown Fort Worth and Alpine. He left in 2000 and has had a string of other openings, including co-founding Dutch's Legendary Hamburgers near TCU, his own Grady's on Forest Park Boulevard, Line Camp Steakhouse in Tolar and Clear Fork Station in Willow Park. Except for Reata and Dutch's, those restaurants have all closed.

His next project, Graze, a chicken-and-biscuits restaurant, is scheduled to open this year as part of the upcoming Crockett Street Food Hall in west Fort Worth. He has also written several cookbooks.

3 hours ago, TornACL said:

So the last two places which failed were a crab / seafood joint and a bbq joint.

Genius business move to reopen as a combination of both failed concepts.

I think a BBQ spot could potentially have worked in there if they hadn't given it a dumb fuck name like Honey Smoke Pit BBQ.  I wish Frankie's could come back to FW< open in that spot, and run BoomerJack's out of business in Montgomery Plaza. Win-win.

More likely it failed because the BBQ was pretty bad.  I heard they spent $50k on the indoor smoker. 

Don't go hate'n on Boomers.  I'm kinda partial to $2.50 beers. 

1 hour ago, Dr Fear said:

I would look on their Facebook pages.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Gotta say, that's been the one big problem with putting a bullet in my Facebook account. It seems like 80+% of bars/restaurants maintain all of their event updates on Facebook. A few of them are also on the Twitters and Instagrams.

Edit: Looks like I could check out their FB without signing back into that piece of shit. They opened 9am today and looks like they'll be open 9am tomorrow.  Might have to take a stroll over there tomorrow and get drunk before noon!

Edited by TornACL
  • Like 2

The owners of Sushi Axiom have had the lease on the corner spot for years.  They were subleasing it out but we’re still involved. I can’t confirm it but I’m told they are out of the picture now.  They didn’t have a good reputation with the few people I talked to that were trying to run the restaurants. 

The yogurt store is always busy even in the winter.  The other day the special was $5/cup and the line was thirty deep outside in the hallway.  People are crazy. 

I drove up to Keller area on 35 this weekend, is the final plan to be 4 lanes in each direction with 2 being express/toll... and they merge and split again? Shit reeks of the decks through austin that effed 35 beyond repair. 

49 minutes ago, bluto said:

I drove up to Keller area on 35 this weekend, is the final plan to be 4 lanes in each direction with 2 being express/toll... and they merge and split again? Shit reeks of the decks through austin that effed 35 beyond repair. 

I think the original plan was to have the toll roads go all the way to 170 but I think they are only going to 287 now.

It's inevitable that more construction will be planned for that area though

14 hours ago, bluto said:

Thanks to construction and the general fuckery of anything north of 820, I rarely drive 35W north of downtown anymore. I happened to come down on the 35W express lanes from 820 yesterday. The express lanes themselves weren't bad, especially considering it was rush hour. But oh what a clusterfuck once the express lanes merge back into the regular traffic.

As was said above. I think the idea is for the lanes to stay separate over a longer stretch but it'll be incremental as the construction finishes. There's one sign up that suggests an express exit off of 35 southbound into downtown, which I believe is the flyover that they're constructing over Belknap. That would be nice. Anything to avoid the 121-35-30 confluence of highways, which is a constant traffic jam.

In other news, Bud Kennedy reports that something called Barrel and Bones is going into the cursed Montgomery Plaza space. I guess there's one in The Colony, this will be location number 2. I look forward to checking it out during its 6 week run.

Bud's Facebook page says two restaurants are going into Montgomery Plaza.  Barrell and Bones and Bourbon Street Oyster Bar & Grill.  Both are under the same ownership.  

I don't know of another space open in MP.  Maybe they are combining the two?  Would confirm my earlier post.

Edit:  Yup.  Splitting the space.

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/restaurants/article214691420.html

Edited by JOSEYWALES66
Added ST link.

https://www.barrelandbones.com/

1. It says "The Finest BBQ in Texas" but the picture of their brisket looks awful. 

2. I'm getting kinda tired of people throwing the word "craft" into every restaurant or bar description or all over their menu. They say "Craft bar and smokehouse" and they say "Craft cocktails and whiskey". What makes something a "craft" cocktail these days?

I got a notice on my door today that says "West Seventh Safety Improvements". Among the things listed, they are adding 250 parking meters in the West 7th area. They will be in effect from 10 am to 10 pm. I'm not sure how charging for street parking improves safety and the parking garage situation is already a disaster over there.

4 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I got a notice on my door today that says "West Seventh Safety Improvements". Among the things listed, they are adding 250 parking meters in the West 7th area. They will be in effect from 10 am to 10 pm. I'm not sure how charging for street parking improves safety and the parking garage situation is already a disaster over there.

Think this is in coordination with making all the roads one way?  That would theortically open up a lane they could use for parking.  Don't see it making 250 spots.

The same notice also said they are making a bunch of the roads one way. The changes will be:

1. Parking by Farrington Field (the FWISD football field)

2. Parking meters being added

3. Sidewalk improvements

4. Adding police officers

5. A new circulating bus

6. Improving right of way from Trinity River west to University Drive

Did it say what the bus route was?

The same notice also said they are making a bunch of the roads one way. The changes will be:
1. Parking by Farrington Field (the FWISD football field)
2. Parking meters being added
3. Sidewalk improvements
4. Adding police officers
5. A new circulating bus
6. Improving right of way from Trinity River west to University Drive

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

https://www.barrelandbones.com/

1. It says "The Finest BBQ in Texas" but the picture of their brisket looks awful. 

2. I'm getting kinda tired of people throwing the word "craft" into every restaurant or bar description or all over their menu. They say "Craft bar and smokehouse" and they say "Craft cocktails and whiskey". What makes something a "craft" cocktail these days?

Agree with the misnomer "Craft" craze.  Especially when "Crap" would be more appropriate. Just another label to jack up the price of whatever the perceived "Craftsman" thinks his crap is worth.

Mac's Steak and Seafood
Deluxe Bar & Grill
Monty's Corner
Bite City Grill
King Crab Tap House
M Bistro
Honey Smoke Pit BBQ
Barrel and Bones
Bourbon Street Oyster Bar

Just keeping this list updated for posterity. The funniest thing is, out of the first 4 restaurants, I had some decent meals and service. I recall some pretty solid brunches and a few good meals with good bartenders and/or waitresses. A little overpriced at times, but whatever.

I haven't been through the door since Bite City closed. It's like I already know the place will only be open for 3 months, so why bother possibly liking a place that'll just vanish soon.

King Crab Tap house was not good at all.

M-Bistro was good but pricey.  They tried to go the upscale route but apparantly the lease holders were jerking them around.  Not sure it would have worked.  The only people that go to MP for upscale food go to Sushi Axiom.  Everywhere else is pretty cheap.

Honey Smoke was down right bad too.   I thought they had a chance if they would have catered to the cheap lunch/dinner crowd with cheap chopped beaf sandwiches, etc.  I don't think they even had a lunch menu.  Hard to remember since they were barely open a month.

I'll give the new place a chance but the odds seem to be against it.  I did notice some new t.v.'s on the outside patio.  Maybe they will attract some of the sports crowd from Boomer Jacks. 

Edited by JOSEYWALES66