Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

Reservoir is opening tonight, they must have figured something out with that new 51% guidance... or not.

I read the new stuff from the TABC, I see no reason you could not sell a $4 beer and popcorn combo with the beer costing $1.99 and the popcorn $2.01.bc55a037a8f91832e119a44e2e1beb83.jpg

Went Smoke-a-holics yesterday.  I did the three meat combo. Lean, fatty, and ribs. In these categories, they are just as good as the other top places. Moist and lean was very well smoked. Fat was rendered. The lean was not dry. I still give a nod to Panther City and Heim for ribs. Their sauce works really well for the ribs. I prefer their version of potato salad over the cubed variety. Baked beans also excellent. 

20200812_131453.jpg

• Like 1

Went Smoke-a-holics yesterday.  I did the three meat combo. Lean, fatty, and ribs. In these categories, they are just as good as the other top places. Moist and lean was very well smoked. Fat was rendered. The lean was not dry. I still give a nod to Panther City and Heim for ribs. Their sauce works really well for the ribs. I prefer their version of potato salad over the cubed variety. Baked beans also excellent. 
20200812_131453.thumb.jpg.5ade6a72785d74a0d5e326b95af50616.jpg
What's the line situation?

small interior. take out only. moves pretty fast for a bbq joint. One girl takes your order. The owner and another is guy is cutting and plating, with another dude helping out. Then another girl bags it all up. Only five are allowed inside at a time. I arrived just before 1pm, i was #2 outside. When I left, there five people waiting on the outside. 

I didn't get ask if they make their own sausage or if it was sourced out. Is it pork, pork and beef, is it a coarse or fine grind? I don't know, but they had regular and jal/cheese. Smoked bolo as well. 

Wed and Saturday they offer dirty rice. I want to hit that up, plus some other offerings

Woody’s is struggling. 

Hello, Facebook friends those of you who have known me for a while know that owning a bar has been my dream since I was a young man. I’m so proud say that I am partners in this place we call Woody’s Tavern. We have run our business very successfully for almost 20 years. Meanwhile trying to help out our community and people in need whenever possible.

The governor is keeping us closed due to COVID and not giving us a time frame so we know when we can reopen.

That is why I am reaching out to all of you to help us out.

We have set up a place to donate on:

Venmo Richard Gee @woodystavernfund

ApplePay 817-703-2411

PayPal r.gee@mac.com

Anything you can donate will go to help our staff and their families put food on their table and keep a roof over their head.

If you will be in town this weekend we are having a car wash, a raffle and selling BBQ sandwiches. Please come by. 10am-2pm

If you would like a rack of ribs or a 1/2 chicken. Message me and I’ll have them hot and ready.

Woody Tavern parking lot Sunday august 16th 10am-2pm

Woody’s will not be open or serving alcohol that day.

On behalf of everyone at Woody’s Tavern thank you so much. 

• Like 2

Not Fort Worth but I’m pretty sure this location has been discussed here before. Hooker’s Grill is opening another location in the cafe of David’s Stove Shop on 20 and FM5/Mikus.

Linking the Texas Country Reporter vlog on YouTube from her Stockyards location.

• Like 1

Not Fort Worth but I’m pretty sure this location has been discussed here before. Hooker’s Grill is opening another location in the cafe of David’s Stove Shop on 20 and FM5/Mikus.

Linking the Texas Country Reporter vlog on YouTube from her Stockyards location.

Well this is cool. I've never been to the one in the Stockyards, but at least this is something interesting instead of just another "cafe" that will he gone in 3 months.

Here you go, @TyphoonSe7en

Gone nearly 10 years, the South Texas-style puffy taco has returned as a new menu item at The Original Mexican Eats Cafe.

For 60 years, Modesta Caro and her family were known for the thick, pillowy tacos and chips at two Fort Worth locations of Caro’s Restaurant, still open in the Valley in Rio Grande City.

The Original’s version is named “Berta’s” puffy tacos, for 21-year kitchen manager Berta Miranda., who made them growing up in Villahermosa.

“One bite is like going back in time,” Original owner Robert Self said in a text message. He’s not exaggerating.

These are not the bowl-like “puffed” tacos served by other local restaurants. These thick tacos are unique to restaurants such as Henry’s in San Antonio and now The Original, in its 95th year (give or take a few) at 4713 Camp Bowie Blvd.

Miranda said she made them growing up in Villahermosa, México.

The tacos start with a ball of fried corn masa, fried and then bent slightly to hold beef or chicken.

“It’s a little bit hard to make, but I like making them,” Miranda said.

Mary Margaret Whitten Moseley, a descendant of the Caro family, reacted strongly on Facebook.

“The Whitten/Caro family brought puffy tacos to Fort Worth from Rio Grande City more then 60 years ago ... You are blatantly serving the green sauce we were famous for now as well.

“Caro’s will be back, and we will be serving our puffy chips and tacos and our delicious nachos as well! ... Not so “Original” there are you??”

In the nine years since Caro’s closed along with brief successor Dos Juans’, puffy tacos have become almost a local legend, the stuff covered by Texas Monthly magazine.

Depending whom you believe, puffy tacos were originated either by the Caro family in Rio Grande City or by Ray’s Drive Inn in San Antonio.

The Caro family meant to open a restaurant in Chicago, but the car broke down here. So Caro’s opened on Blue Bonnet Circle in the space that recently was Fred’s Texas Cafe. Another location operated in the 1960s at Curzon Avenue and Bryant Irvin Road near Zeke’s.

The Original’s puffy tacos are a reasonably faithful rendition, larger than Caro’s and served with either beef or chicken with a chopped jalapeno-cilantro salsa verde similar to Caro’s, Fort Worth’s original “green sauce.”

(Warning: Eat them when they’re fresh, or they’ll break in two. If that happens, deploy an extra tortilla.)

The Original is already known for its fried-in-shell crispy tacos, a couple of notches better than most Tex-Mex restaurant tacos.

The menu also offers contemporary dishes such as cheese-jalapeño tamales, broccoli enchiladas and pan-seared steaks or chicken.

The Original also added new “Mexican pizzas” in beef or chicken.

The restaurant is nationally known for chili-covered, retro Tex-Mex and its history including the “Roosevelt Special” platter, named for presidential son Elliott Roosevelt during his 1930s time in Benbrook and Fort Worth.

Nobody knows exactly when The Original opened. Self estimates The Original opened in 1926. But based on our archives and census records, founders Lola San Miguel Piñeda from Múzquiz, Mexico, and her husband, former Spanish soldier Gerónimo Piñeda of Barcelona, moved here via Laredo and Waco and opened in 1930.

(They were still listed as living in Waco in the 1930 census. The Piñedas’ 1930s Star-Telegram ads for The Original described it as opening in 1930, which would make this its 91st year.)

In a 1932 clipping, Piñeda described the combination “No. 1” plate: “tacos, Mexican rice, chile con queso, Spanish salad, toasted tortillas, Mexican candy [a praline] and a bottle of ice cold Pearl beer” — 50 cents.

If you haven’t gone to The Original lately, it’s become an iconic old-school Tex-Mex restaurant known for beef enchiladas in Texas chili con carne and particularly for crispy tacos made in the shell, the way Lola Piñeda made them in the 1930s.

The menu also offers contemporary dishes such as cheese-jalapeño tamales, broccoli enchiladas and pan-seared steaks or chicken.

It’s open daily except Mondays at 4713 Camp Bowie Blvd.; 817-738-6226, originalmexicaneatscafe.com.

There’ll be more news soon from The Original, but Self isn’t ready to tell.

Caro’s chick sounds a little salty. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Anybody have a rec on a cheap auto paint guy?  I need my hood repainted, the clear coat is peeling off.  Car will likely be sold in the next year so quality isn't really a concern.

Well actually.... my buddy buys and sells cheap cars on the side and takes them here to get body work and paint - El Piston De Oro - 1205 S Ayers 76105

• Like 1

Another attempt at the old food hall on Berry, good fucking luck. 

His new restaurant is going so well that chef Stefon Rishel opened another.

With the industry in a recession, Rishel is all smiles about his new Berry Street Ice House.

In the home of a former ill-conceived food hall, the Ice House opened this week at 2000 W. Berry St., serving burgers, sandwiches and salads.

An old trailer on the giant backyard playground is the stop for shakes and snow cones.

“This place just seemed so underutilized,” Rishel said last week, giving a tour of his new restaurant in the former Americado and Moon.

“Nobody took advantage of this grassy area. It’s a great place for kids to eat and run around. ... We want this to be a real family place.”

His newish Wishbone & Flynt restaurant in South Main Village is doing well, although for now the adjacent Amber Room bar is an extra dining room.

“We’ve had to get super creative,” Rishel said.

Wishbone & Flynt added family-style takeout meals to help families get safe, inexpensive dinners.

In the same way, Berry Street Ice House is an inexpensive family night out.

The double cheddar burger “Frog Burger” is $11 with sweet-potato waffle fries.

“It’s the same concept as at Wishbone & Flynt — brisket, chuck, short rib and belly, seared in duck fat — but it’s two thin patties, more like a diner burger,” Rishel said.

There’s an almond-grape-Dijonnaise chicken salad ($11!) and chicken skewers or wings in five flavors ($8-$13).

And there’s a $6 kids menu. 

His favorite item is the fried smoked-bologna sandwich with housemade cheese sauce ($11).

Berry Street Ice House is open daily for lunch or brunch and dinner; 817-386-0724, berrystreeticehouse.com.

4 hours ago, dmtx said:

Well actually.... my buddy buys and sells cheap cars on the side and takes them here to get body work and paint - El Piston De Oro - 1205 S Ayers 76105

I swung by there this afternoon and that place was everything I imagined and could have asked for.  Dropping my car off in the AM.

3 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

I swung by there this afternoon and that place was everything I imagined and could have asked for.  Dropping my car off in the AM.

Haha! That is awesome. I dont know if anyone else I know would actually venture over to the area. 

Opted for Enchiladas Ole on the patio this evening.  The Vaquero is my go to and once again it smashed and went hard.  Nice breeze and zero humidity in August definitely makes eating outside a good option.  Parking lot was packed but we were seated immediately and were served within 15 minutes (got there at 6:10pm).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Ever ate at that Greek place in the same complex? 

Once or twice when we lived in Berkeley.  Friendly family owns it but it was hit or miss on the quality.  George's has for years been my favorite Greek restaurant.

• Like 1

Anyone been here yet? Kennedy wrote it up again. 

On 9/28/2019 at 8:33 PM, spystud13 said:

Looks pretty damn good. 

https://belzoniscatfishcafe.com/menu

When is a catfish not really a catfish?

Dwight Cooley of Belzoni’s Catfish Cafe knows.

“Farm-raised catfish, when you break it open, it should be pearly white,” said Cooley, a Belzoni, Mississippi, native and former local math teacher and school principal.

Belzoni is the “Catfish Capital of the World.” So he knows how to tell real farm-raised catfish from basa or “swai,” a similar but cheaper fish.

Catfish fraud is rampant. Basa or “swai” is often substituted.

But farm-raised catfish should have “no fishy smell — no fishy taste,” he said in a recent episode of the Eats Beat podcast, available on itunes.com..

“It should take on the flavor of however you’re cooking it. And the fillets should be inconsistent. If you see all consistent fillets, you’re probably not getting farm-raised catfish.”

There is no question about the catfish at Belzoni’s, serving lunch 110 N Jim Wright Freeway (Northwest Loop 820).

They’re the only fillets that are so light and crisp, you can pick them up with your hands and eat them like popcorn.

Belzoni started frying catfish at school carnivals 20 years ago, when he was still teaching.

He always said he’d start a restaurant “one of these days,” and the day came.

“I decided to make the leap and decided to pursue some dreams,” he said.

His friends are starting school in a very different way this year, with Zoom calls, Plexiglas partitions and lots of sanitizer.

I can tell he misses it.

“Once an educator, always an educator,” he said.

“I’m sure if I were still in education, we’d be putting together plans and solving some problems. We’d work to make schools safe where kids can get the education they need.”

In the year since Belzoni’s opened, Belzoni’s has added grilled catfish in three flavors: lemon-pepper, Creole or brown-sugar-bourbon.

That’s more catfish that any restaurant I know, with the possible exception of a restaurant out west that also offers it pecan-crusted.

But Belzoni’s also offers whole catfish, or catfish-cake “rounds.”

Sides include fries, turnip greens, fried okra, corn, green beans and mac-and-cheese.

Catfish is easier to find at drive-thru windows these days, from unique local restaurants like Zeke’s to the local Lisa’s Chcken & Seafood restaurants and Mineral Wells-based Chicken Express.

Belzoni’s is best of all the drive-thrus, and one of the best catfish cafes we’ve seen.

Cooley also adds sriracha tartar sauce and a housemade green pepper sauce of vinegary Tabasco peppers.

The menu now also includes fried chicken sandwiches with bacon, pepper Jack cheese and ranch dressing (try it Buffalo-style), and half-pound burgers with pepper Jack, fried jalapenos, fried pickles, bacon, mushrooms and chipotle mayo.

“We’ve got a real good burger, and it’s big,” he said,

There’s also sweet potato pies.

Belzoni’s is open for drive-thru or curbside dining for lunch weekdays and Saturdays and for dinner Fridays only; (817) 386-0714, belzoniscatfishcafe.com.

Somehow never once ate here. 

Uno Pizzeria & Grill is closed, apparently ending a 28-year run for one of downtown Fort Worth’s oldest restaurants and one that survived despite the Boston-based parent company’s troubles.

A message posted late Sunday night on the restaurant Facebook page offered vague hope: “Ugh! This has been a tough year! We are closed! It’ll take a miracle to reopen ... Anybody have a spare miracle??!”

When the Chicago-style deep-dish pizzeria opened in Arlington and then Sundance Square in 1991-92, company founder “Ike” Sewell of Chicago had just passed away and was often remembered for his Wills Point upbringing and Texas Longhorns football career.

The Sundance Square location thrived for years at the center of activity, next to a movie theater, the Caravan of Dreams nightclub and busy Billy Miner’s Saloon. But the restaurant began struggling after the movie theater closed and crowds moved to the new Sundance plaza.

The Arlington location, 1301 N. Collins St., closed in an earlier corporate reshuffle.

Uno joined Bird Cafe and Taverna by Lombardi as Sundance restaurants to close during the coronavirus pandemic, along with retail shops Earth Bones and Retro Cowboy, as many downtown office and government workers continue to work at home.

Sundance Square is under a new property manager, Dallas-based Henry S. Miller Co., with a plan for changes in the 30-year-old retail center.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:17 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Anyone been here yet? Kennedy wrote it up again. 

I've been there.  It's okay, but it's pricey.  I think I spent $15 for two catfish fillets and some fries.  I remember the fish being good, but not memorable.  It's not quite as good as Pappadeux's catfish, more like Razoo's catfish only a larger fillet.  For the money, I'd rather go to Pappadeux's.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Uno's wasn't bad.  Went there occasionally.

I'm very worried about downtown.  That's four restaurants that have closed and I'm hearing rumors about at least one more.  

Jimmy Johns closed last week too. Sign on the door says temporarily, but you know how that goes.

I've been there.  It's okay, but it's pricey.  I think I spent $15 for two catfish fillets and some fries.  I remember the fish being good, but not memorable.  It's not quite as good as Pappadeux's catfish, more like Razoo's catfish only a larger fillet.  For the money, I'd rather go to Pappadeux's.  

Have you been to BooRay’s? Their catfish is my favorite between them and two you mentioned.

1 hour ago, DeepEastTexas said:

No, I need to hit them up. I love some catfish.

My catfish go to is Catfish Sam's on Division in Arlington.  Worth the drive and priced right.  Straight out of the 50's decor but great catfish, hush puppies, etc.

• Like 1