Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

31 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

You remember our friend Dustin that married Shelbie for awhile? He fell off the elk next door one night, although I’m sure that’s happened to many. 

Oh yeah, I used to run into her once or twice a year but it has been a while.  And to be fair, falling off the Elk could happen to anyone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Arlington’s popular Red Claws Crab Shack now plans to open its new Red Claws Hot Chicken concept in Fort Worth before the winter holidays, a spokesman said.

The restaurant, 5278 S. Hulen St., will combine Cajun seafood boils with Nashville hot chicken, which also has been added at other Red Claws locations.

Red Claws Crab Shack’s Dallas and Arlington locations are consistently busy with customers coming for fried seafood, gumbo, chicken wings and shrimp, crawfish and crab boil at a choice of six spice levels.

A new chicken menu offers Nashville hot or Southern crispy sandwiches, wings, legs or tenders.

The current Red Claws is open for lunch and dinner daily at 4629 S. Cooper St.; 817-642-5431, http://www.redclawscrabshack.com/

Another crab boil restaurant, Pennsylvania-based Crab du Jour, recently opened at 5760 Southwest Loop 820.

That’s in the Chili’s/Total Wine strip center. 

Edited by shadow_operative2.0

On 10/13/2020 at 4:24 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Crab Du Jour in the old Keg off BI/20 is open. Good luck. 

https://www.facebook.com/CrabDuJourTX/

They are gonna need it.  Went there tonight at 7:45, ordered an appetizer, got it, then never saw our server again for 20 MINUTES!!!.  Walked to the front register and told the manager I wanted to pay for the appetizer and drinks and then go get served elsewhere.  On top of that, the crab fries we had were cold and tasteless.  From what I saw at other tables, nothing appeared to be telling me I need to come back in a month and give it another shot.

Just now, shadow_operative2.0 said:

And I guarantee that Razzoos right down the street was fucking packed tonight as usual. 

T'was indeed.  Ended up at Zeke's on Camp Bowie.  Old reliable that consistently takes care of business.

• Like 2

Could have sworn we've talked about his dude before, but couldn't find a post. 

Fort Worth city council member Cary Moon was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Burleson, according to police.

Burleson police arrested Moon at 2:34 a.m. Saturday, Burleson police department spokesperson Deanna Phillips said.

Moon was driving on South Dobson Street when he did not come to a complete stop at a stop sign at 2:21 a.m, Phillips said. Moon’s truck hit a curb, drove onto the grass and then back onto the road. An officer turned on their emergency lights to pull him over, and Moon hit the curb again.

Moon told the Star-Telegram he couldn’t discuss details of the case, but he expected to continue to serve as the District 4 councilman.

“I will be responsible for my actions,” Moon said.

Asked if he would resign or if he had notified the city, Moon described the misdemeanor charge as a “victimless crime,” and said he had told those close to him about the arrest over the weekend.

Moon said he had been at Dalton’s Corner, a bar and restaurant at 200 S. Main St. in downtown Burleson that he partially owns.

In February Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts closed the bar for unpaid taxes, but Moon said Monday the debt had been cleared and the restaurant had reopened.

spacer.png

Could have sworn we've talked about his dude before, but couldn't find a post. 
Fort Worth city council member Cary Moon was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Burleson, according to police.
Burleson police arrested Moon at 2:34 a.m. Saturday, Burleson police department spokesperson Deanna Phillips said.
Moon was driving on South Dobson Street when he did not come to a complete stop at a stop sign at 2:21 a.m, Phillips said. Moon’s truck hit a curb, drove onto the grass and then back onto the road. An officer turned on their emergency lights to pull him over, and Moon hit the curb again.
Moon told the Star-Telegram he couldn’t discuss details of the case, but he expected to continue to serve as the District 4 councilman.
“I will be responsible for my actions,” Moon said.
Asked if he would resign or if he had notified the city, Moon described the misdemeanor charge as a “victimless crime,” and said he had told those close to him about the arrest over the weekend.
Moon said he had been at Dalton’s Corner, a bar and restaurant at 200 S. Main St. in downtown Burleson that he partially owns.
In February Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts closed the bar for unpaid taxes, but Moon said Monday the debt had been cleared and the restaurant had reopened.

cary%20moon_fitted.png
Yeah, it's behind the ST paywall, but he was part owner of a Burleytown bar that got shut down last year for non-payment of taxes.

As if this election season needed anymore spice.

Rodeo Goat Ice House, the Fort Worth-based burger restaurant is launching an election-themed burger battle featuring the Biden Burger vs. The McDonald.

The burger in honor of Democratic nominee Joe Biden is described as a “Delaware Surf and Turf,” and includes a blue crab cake on top of a beef tenderloin patty, with arugula, beefsteak tomato, red onion, and Joe’s crabby sauce and lemon-almond aioli.

President Trump’s entry “The McDonald” is a little heftier and offers more red meat with two all-beef patties slathered with Russian sauce, lettuce, American cheese, pickles and onions on a sesame seed bun. It’s a tribute to the president’s love of the McDonald’s Big Mac, of course, and perhaps a wink and a nod intended with the inclusion of Russian dressing. In honor of the president, order it well done. The cooks will love it.

Both burgers are $14. Each order constitutes a vote. The winner moves on to the next round of burger battles. Not sure if that’s in 2024 or the next mid-term elections.

Lemon-almond aioli doesn’t appeal to me, but I’d dig on the rest. 

Got one. Interesting first victim. 

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission on Monday issued an emergency order suspending the liquor license held by a Fort Worth bar that the agency alleged had failed to observe social distancing regulations and whose staff and customers it said it found were not wearing face coverings.

The license held by Ampersand, on Bledsoe Street on the western edge of the West 7th Street corridor, was suspended for 30 days. The business, which also operates a coffee shop, opened in November 2017.

The order suggests that TABC inspected Ampersand on Saturday.

10 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Jesus, cool front is here. Super wind, Sideways rain, little hail, flooding on my exit, and GD deer I didn’t see in the last second but I somehow still missed.

Yeah, there was a nice wreck on CTP at 7:45 this morning when visibility was <10 feet and later at Northside & Jacksboro Hwy a car flipped on it's side.  Stormageddon and people driving like a bat out of hell are not a good combination.

I’d be willing to bet damn near every poster on this thread has partied at Firestone at some point in their days. 

A fire that may have started from a lightning strike damaged four apartments Friday morning at a complex near downtown, fire officials said.

Firefighters knocked down flames in less than 30 minutes. No one was injured.

The two-alarm fire was reported just before 10:30 a.m. at 200 Henderson St. at the Firestone Apartments just west of downtown Fort Worth.

Flames were reported on the roof of a four-story apartment building.

Heavy smoke and fire was coming out of an attic in apartment building, fire officials said. The apartments were occupied, but no injuries were reported.

Fire investigators are checking reports that lightning may have struck the building because there was a report of a loud thunder in the area and power went out to parts of the complex.

Numerous fire engines and Fort Worth firefighters responded to the apartment complex, according to the fire call log.

• Like 1

This guy must be the worst 'regular' ever if no one knows his name. 

Police on Tuesday released a surveillance photograph of an assailant who they alleged shot a man two weeks ago near a parking lot in the Stockyards section of Fort Worth.

The assailant, whose name Fort Worth police do not know, shot the victim outdoors early on Oct. 11 in the 2500 block of Rodeo Plaza.

Police did not release the victim’s condition.

The victim was among a group of of six people who were inside Neon Moon Saloon. The group was harassed by a man who followed the group around the club, police said. After leaving, the assailant followed the group to its vehicle.

An altercation began, and the assailant shot the victim and left.

The assailant is a Neon Moon Saloon regular who rides a motorcycle. He is between 24 and 26 and about 6 feet tall with a medium build. He has short hair, a beard and a tattoo on his right arm.

Anyone who has information on the shooting should call 817-392-4692, police said.

spacer.png

Nice shirt, bro. 

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

This guy must be the worst 'regular' ever if no one knows his name. 

spacer.png

Nice shirt, bro. 

He always paid cash, we just knew him as "Tex" lol

We did a murder case a while back where 3 guys and a girl driver robbed a convenience store on Hemphill & I-20 and shot and killed the clerk.  The driver cooperated with the DA and got 20 or so, two of the guys got 60 or life, I can't recall exactly.  The third guy they only knew around the neighborhood as "Smoke" and nobody knew his name or where to find him.  To my knowledge they never did.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 7:44 AM, DeepEastTexas said:

Tried Smoke a Holics BBQ this past Friday. It was damn good. Great ribs, brisket, and sausage. It’s to-go only, so we took our food and ate at Taps and Caps on Camp Bowie. Cool craft beer place. Very interesting concept.

it is very good.

I liked this line too. 
He is between 24 and 26

That is incredibly specific for a nameless dude. 

I’m 6’3 and 39. Definitely not me. Also May or may not have been down with the Rona during said altercation

Edit: I have an alibi. Thanks Harris Downtown. I’m clear!

On 4/1/2019 at 3:30 PM, Bone3421 said:

Stopped by bartaco last night for first time...seems like it would be a nice spot on a sunny day
Tacos are 2.50 or 3.50 all tasted good (had 4)
Pork belly was my fave...fish, carnita and duck were tasty

Had huge press juicers on bar top and believe they use fresh squeezed limes in cocktails...22$ before tip 4 tacos ,one beer and order of the salsa verde

They gone. 

Rumored for years and then under construction just as long, Ascension Coffee will open by mid-November, but the space next door is empty in the WestBend shopping center.

Bartaco will not reopen, the company told customers in an email this week. A notice on the door, 1701 River Run, says the locks have been changed.

The new Fort Worth location of Dallas-based Ascension, billed as an Australian-style coffee shop, restaurant and happy-hour lounge at 1751 River Run, along the Trinity Trails facing the Clear Fork near Forest Park, the Fort Worth Zoo and TCU.

An Ascension was planned for WestBend when the center opened, but its arrival was delayed when a supermarket with a Starbucks briefly leased space nearby. 

The Fort Worth Ascension overlooks the trail, serving a complete menu along with local pastries from nearby Black Rooster Bakery.

The most popular items on the menu are the ubiquitous avocado toast or eggs Benedict, but the menu also includes sandwiches and paninis, salads and a soup of the day.

Breakfasts range from bacon and eggs to a ricotta souffle pancake or a bacon-leek frittata.

Connecticut-owned Bartaco was briefly part of Southlake-based Del Frisco’s, but the two companies split and have gone separate ways.

A Lao-Thai restaurant, ZAAP Kitchen, will also open nearby adjacent to HG Sply Co.

Lunch at Lucile's today.  Loved the atmosphere, couple of little old ladies slugging down  martinis and one loner having a liquid lunch at the bar.  Given the price of the chicken fried steak, couple of cocktails might have been a better option.  Chicken Fried Steak was damned good, though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Frank Erwin said:

Lunch at Lucile's today.  Loved the atmosphere, couple of little old ladies slugging down  martinis and one loner having a liquid lunch at the bar.  Given the price of the chicken fried steak, couple of cocktails might have been a better option.  Chicken Fried Steak was damned good, though.

top3 cfs in FW proper.  in my opinion.

Edited by NOMAAA
imo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Olde Neighborhood Grill was a go to for CFS when Peter Schroeder was the owner-probably still decent, but haven't been in years.  Massey's on 8th avenue back in the day was always a top choice as well.  Lucille's, M&M, and Texas Roadhouse all do good work with the CFS.

Hey, Bud! What do you know about Jon’s Grille on Berry Street?

All I know is what 360 West reported: Chef Jon Bonnell is opening a burger grill in the former location of The Hop and the Aardvark, 2905 W. Berry St. The name evokes memories of an old Jon’s Grille nearby on South University Drive, known for serving the “greatest hits”: a replica of the old Carlson’s bakon-burger, a Griddle Systems burger and a Rockyfeller Hamburgers burger.

Damn, the original Jon’s was badass. 

Edited by shadow_operative2.0

Had the Hookers Grill in the stove shop off 20 tonight after our luck-box W. Shit was real good, but you need to eat there. I live in Benbrook, buns were pretty much obliterated on the drive home. Meat was badass. Their inside dining area isn’t big, but they have a nice outdoor patio. Need to hang a couple cheap Vizios around the joint though. And BYOB for those interested in such things. 

On 10/30/2020 at 3:23 PM, pch said:

Olde Neighborhood Grill was a go to for CFS when Peter Schroeder was the owner-probably still decent, but haven't been in years.  Massey's on 8th avenue back in the day was always a top choice as well.  Lucille's, M&M, and Texas Roadhouse all do good work with the CFS.

Last time I went to ONG under the new ownership, I decided it was the last time I would eat at ONG. Big drop off in quality. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Last time I went to ONG under the new ownership, I decided it was the last time I would eat at ONG. Big drop off in quality. 

The few times we went, it was as you said, a big drop off in quality.  For the seven years we lived on Warner Road in Berkeley, it was the definitive breakfast choice and many times dinner as well.

For Chicken Fried Steak, the Purple Frog on Bluebonnet Circle has a damned good one too.  Plus, the french fries at both Luciles and Purple Frog are great. Went back to Lucile's for a Sunday afternoon cocktail and the scenery does not disappoint (I don't mean T&A but bona fide characters.-old farts with wife #4 and a battalion of dead soldiers lining the bar)  

Interesting. 

Chef Louis Lambert and the investors remodeling Roy Pope Grocery have a tentative deal to buy the 95-year-old Paris Coffee Shop, Lambert said Monday.

Mike Smith, the Paris’ owner and main pie baker for 55 years, said that a deal is close, but “they’re not done yet.”

“They’re interested,” he said. “We’ll see.”

Lambert, founder of several Austin restaurants and a co-founder of Dutch’s Hamburgers, said he expects his team with investors Rodger Chieffalo, Mark Harris and Chris Reale to complete the deal.

“We want to embrace the Paris Coffee Shop because of its great history, its great location and what it means to Fort Worth,” Lambert said.

If his group buys the Paris, they will operate it until midyear and then remodel the dining room and kitchen, Lambert said.

Tentative plans call for breakfast, lunch and dinner service daily along with a full bar.

Lambert compared his plans for the restaurant to those for Joann’s Fine Foods on South Congress Avenue in Austin, adjacent to a relative’s Austin Motel.

“We’ll still have meatloaf and chicken-fried steak,” he said.

The Paris, 704 W. Magnolia Ave., is located in what was originally built in 1941 as a Safeway grocery across Hemphill Street from the original Paris location. The restaurant is named for founder Vic Paris, but Smith’s family has owned it for 88 years.

Smith and the restaurant’s meringue pies have been featured on the Food Network’s Ace of Cakes and listed among the nation’s best in USA Today, and the chicken-fried steak has been heralded in Jane and Michael Stern’s Roadfood series.

In May, Lambert and investors bought Roy Pope Grocery, 2300 Merrick St., a neighborhood meat market, grocer and bistro. It’s being remodeled and will reopen as soon as January, Lambert said.

Out of pure curiosity and fomo I picked up some of those Flores beef tallow tortillas.

I guess if you've never been south of Waco and never had anything but Mission tortillas you bought at Super Target they may be amazing, but I don't get it. 

They taste like mediocre homemade tortillas. Don't waste your time. 

I will do up some homemade migas and cheese tacos Saturday before kickoff and see how these things perform wrapped around that greatness, but so far, meh.