Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

Terrible loss of life last night in my neighborhood.  Street racing on Risinger road resulted in the death of a husband and wife along with one of the racers.  Four children will not have their parents in their life because of this continual problem of speeding. 

Edited by pch
  • Like 1

Halloween night many years ago myself and about fifteen other guys cut 4 girls and a guy out of a car that was hit by a drunk racing. Drunk lived. As a matter of fact he sat on the curb in a neck brace and cuffs while we cut the 4.5 corpses out. 4.5 because the one that lived is in a wheelchair and shitting in a bag for the rest of his life. We got an award for it. Yay.

On 11/9/2020 at 4:36 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Change.org petition to address the racing problem in that neighborhood. Use an email address you don’t give a shit about, because they will hammer you. 

https://www.change.org/p/city-of-fort-worth-traffic-flow-change-to-risinger-road

Thanks for the link.  Made a contribution and hope something positive comes out of this.

Celebrity chef Tim Love will become a hotelier after the Fort Worth City Council Tuesday approved his cabin concept despite opposition from several nearby residents. 

Love wants to use the back portion of the lot at his Gemelle Italian restaurant on White Settlement Road, which is already known for its outdoor garden seating, for a micro hotel concept that uses shipping containers as cabins. He says the cedar-clad containers would give visitors a unique experience on the Trinity River and with a price tag at $200 a night, rent to a high-end crowd. 

Dubbed Hotel Otto, Love plans to place nine shipping containers-turned-cabins to east of Gemelle, 4400 White Settlement Rd.

Neighbors are less enthusiastic, voicing concern since August over the plan. Those in opposition say limited parking and access to the lot will crowd nearby streets. They also worry the cabins, which feature rooftop decks, will rent to loud partiers, not vacationers. Much of the land is in a floodplain. 

The 160-square-foot cabins fit a queen size bed, custom tile walk-in shower and refrigerator. Each unit has a full glass door and a rooftop deck that offers views of the river. They’ll be styled similar to the Gemelle building, according to Love’s presentation. Guests can rent kayaks and bikes to use along the river.

Love will hire two extra employees to keep Gemelle staffed 24-hours to assist hotel visitors. He had wanted to sink two shipping containers into the ground in the restaurant’s garden area for use as a pool, but an updated site plan shows the area as a boccie court.

Wonder how that new hotel in Northside with his tapas bar is doing? Can’t imagine either are killing it. 

Celebrity chef Tim Love will become a hotelier after the Fort Worth City Council Tuesday approved his cabin concept despite opposition from several nearby residents. 
Love wants to use the back portion of the lot at his Gemelle Italian restaurant on White Settlement Road, which is already known for its outdoor garden seating, for a micro hotel concept that uses shipping containers as cabins. He says the cedar-clad containers would give visitors a unique experience on the Trinity River and with a price tag at $200 a night, rent to a high-end crowd. 
Dubbed Hotel Otto, Love plans to place nine shipping containers-turned-cabins to east of Gemelle, 4400 White Settlement Rd.
Neighbors are less enthusiastic, voicing concern since August over the plan. Those in opposition say limited parking and access to the lot will crowd nearby streets. They also worry the cabins, which feature rooftop decks, will rent to loud partiers, not vacationers. Much of the land is in a floodplain. 
The 160-square-foot cabins fit a queen size bed, custom tile walk-in shower and refrigerator. Each unit has a full glass door and a rooftop deck that offers views of the river. They’ll be styled similar to the Gemelle building, according to Love’s presentation. Guests can rent kayaks and bikes to use along the river.
Love will hire two extra employees to keep Gemelle staffed 24-hours to assist hotel visitors. He had wanted to sink two shipping containers into the ground in the restaurant’s garden area for use as a pool, but an updated site plan shows the area as a boccie court.

That’s pretty close to me. My neighborhood association was strongly opposed to the hotel idea, although I’m not really sure why. Concerns about noise or riff-raff I suppose?

I’m just kinda surprised that anyone would pay $200/night to stay in a 160 sqft shipping container with a queen size bed. I’m curious what level of occupancy they’ll be able to attract.

That’s pretty close to me. My neighborhood association was strongly opposed to the hotel idea, although I’m not really sure why. Concerns about noise or riff-raff I suppose?

I’m just kinda surprised that anyone would pay $200/night to stay in a 160 sqft shipping container with a queen size bed. I’m curious what level of occupancy they’ll be able to attract.
That nonsense will be in Texas monthly and people will drive 6 hours to stay there.

From the article... 

Neighbors are less enthusiastic, voicing concern since August over the plan. Those in opposition say limited parking and access to the lot will crowd nearby streets. They also worry the cabins, which feature rooftop decks, will rent to loud partiers, not vacationers. Much of the land is in a floodplain.

Another Mexican restaurant I will recommend in that same area is El Paseo. Usually hit their Azle location as it’s closer to home, but the River Oaks spot is just as good. Their Pollo Mexicana is fucking fantastic.

Great restaurant. Been eating there since I was a kid. However that’s not RO.

It’s weird to me how much shit they’ve added and are still adding all in that area.

7 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Great restaurant. Been eating there since I was a kid. However that’s not RO.

That would be closer to Sansom Park.  And their Mexican food is some of the best in Tarrant County.  I have been known to drive past ten Mexican restaurants on the Northside to go have their lunch offerings.

11 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

$200 a night is still cheaper than a DWI, for an out-of-towner that's probably the demographic. Especially if there is an event in town that makes it difficult to get an Uber.

CHIEF

8 hours ago, TornACL said:

If they had those things back when Froggy's was there, there would have been a shitload of white trash babies conceived in those containers. 

Of course they wouldn't have been able to charge $200 a night.  But maybe $20 for 15 minutes. 

Would that include freshly swept sheets?

I heard today that Razzoo's in Sundance is leaving when their lease is up at the end of the year.
Three other restaurants are rumored to be leaving Sundance as well but I'd rather not mention them until it happens.

I worked a few shifts there and their kitchen is insanely small. Like 250 square feet.

1 hour ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

I heard today that Razzoo's in Sundance is leaving when their lease is up at the end of the year.

Three other restaurants are rumored to be leaving Sundance as well but I'd rather not mention them until it happens.

I was working at Caravan of Dreams when Razzoo's opened.  Haven't been to the Sundance location since 1999 but have heard some bad reviews from friends who have.  Usually go to Bryant Irvin once or twice a year and they do good work.

15 minutes ago, pch said:

I was working at Caravan of Dreams when Razzoo's opened.  Haven't been to the Sundance location since 1999 but have heard some bad reviews from friends who have.  Usually go to Bryant Irvin once or twice a year and they do good work.

Pre-pandemic I went there a lot.  Service was always good.  Lunches were packed.  Most of the good people may have seen the writing on the wall and left .  

On 11/14/2019 at 10:51 PM, spystud13 said:

Who’s been to Olivella’s near the old Baker St? 

https://www.olivellas.com/fort-worth

On 11/14/2019 at 11:06 PM, pch said:

Been there-solid pizza, fettucine alfredo, but the best damn tiramisu in DFW imho.  Still prefer Campisi's but not a bad change of pace.

They’re moving East, across the street from Showdown & Kincaid’s, next to the Gunter TV repair shop. 

Olivella’s Fort Worth location has moved to a smaller Camp Bowie Boulevard location and switched to a pizza-and-wine carryout and delivery shop, owner Charlie Green said Monday.

The new location, 4910 Camp Bowie Blvd., is expected to open Dec. 3, featuring the same pastas, Neapolitan-style pizzas, salads and desserts, plus finer wines at lower prices, Green said.

The new Olivella’s downsizes from a cavernous space 2 miles west in the Village at Camp Bowie in Ridglea. That location closed Sunday, Green said.

Olivella’s competes against Cane Rosso and Fireside Pies in the Neapolitan-style pizza market and also offers a thin-crust pizza described as “Roman style” that competes with neighbors such as Campisi’s and Zoli’s.

The switch to carryout and takeaway dinner and wines “where the pizza business is today,” Green said.

“We’re not just making pizzas — we are delivering an Italian dinner experience,” he said.

The new location is across from Kincaid’s Hamburgers on a quieter stretch of Camp Bowie Boulevard better suited for a delivery and takeout shop. Olivella’s will operate its own delivery service, Green said, eliminating high third-party delivery fees and slow service.

The new shop is the former home of Dough Boy Donuts, which moved to 291 W. Hidden Creek Parkway in Burleson.

Went to Los Vaqueros new location on University for lunch today at 1pm.  Never went into the location before LV became the new occupant.  We were the only customers in the whole place from 1-2pm.  The parking is limited to spaces available in the complex which could be a problem.  Not sure this move from their former spot is going to work out.  The meal was fine as usual, just concerned about lack of customers and limited parking maybe posing a problem.  What say you people?

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

They tore down the old Dickeys on University, next to the Nizza Pizza (which itself is undergoing remodeling)

They're already setting foundation for something new on the Dickeys site. Anyone know what's going in?

Dickies sold the dirt to an "RLS II Properties Management, Inc." at the end of 2015.  The address on the tax rolls for the LLC is 1635 Rogers Rd., same as the Encore Live event planners. Beyond that, IDK.