Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Hiking? The fuck are you going for your Boy Scout badge or some shit? We talk food and alcohol around here. And occasionally where to slut watch, but that’s closely related to the alcohol talk.

You, sir, are clearly unfamiliar with hiking sluts.

Edited by Hank_Hill

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

You, sir, are clearly unfamiliar with hiking sluts.

Hey. Hit me up. I go out to fw nature center all the time. Canyon ridge trail is 6 or so miles round trip. It’s a good get out and move around hike. I’m in Guadalupe national park at the moment, but will do nature center anytime. 

mineral wells state park is also pretty decent. 

Glen Rose has some good hiking, if you don't mind being told about Adam and Eve's pet dinosaurs 

Edit to add Eagle Mountain Park or whatever its called where Peden Rd hits 1220 has some nice little trails too, but seems hit or miss recently whether its open or not

Edited by cmontexas

• 2 weeks later...

Opening this week... 

Maria’s Mexican Kitchen, covered in a past Eats Beat, was scheduled to open Monday at 1712 S. University Drive; 817-916-0550, facebook.com/mariasmexicantx.

Roy Pope Grocery, which includes a hot food counter, sandwiches, grab-and-go dinners and morning coffee, pastries and breakfast tacos, was scheduled to re-open Tuesday at 2300 Merrick St., facebook.com/roypopegrocery.

Also scheduled to open this week: The Original del Norte, a north side location of the 91-year-old west side restaurant, at 1400 N. Main St.; originalmexcafe.com/del-norte-menu.

Maria’s is the old Hoffbrau, Original the old El Rancho Grande. 

you FTW fellas got a good thing going....we enjoyed our visit, albeit short.  damn good sushi at Hatsuyuki's, the spouse loved Thompson's and we stopped for a damn good margherita pizza at Olivella's on the way outta town.

we're definitely coming back...gotta spend some hours at The Kimbell and botanical gardens.

• Hook 'Em 1

An 'iced tea playground', that's a new one. Guess there's already one in Weatherford. 

A store specializing in iced tea brewed with natural ingredients and purified water is on tap for multiple cities in Dallas-Fort Worth.

Leslie Ann Kitten and Jennifer Jean Davis are weeks away from opening the first HTeaO location in Arlington. The chain uses double-pass reverse osmosis water as a canvas for 24 flavors of sweet and unsweetened tea, as well as pink lemonade and a “Ryan Palmer,” an iced tea and lemonade mix named for a professional golfer from Amarillo.

Davis and Kitten spent three years searching for the right home for their franchise before finding the perfect location in an old Church’s Chicken at 2231 N. Collins St. Kitten said the location’s proximity to major roads and entertainment attractions, as well as the community of residents and businesses nearby, made the location an obvious choice.

Kitten and Davis plan to open around June after putting the final touches on renovations and hiring employees. Kitten said the finished building will look nothing like a fried chicken restaurant.

“You would never know it, if you didn’t know it before because we have completely redone everything down to the studs,” she said.

Spencer Perkins, HTeaO’s chief marketing officer, called the shop a “tea playground.” Customers can sample and combine flavors in single-serve cups or fill up jugs. The store includes a bar where customers can top off their drinks with cucumbers, mint leaves and fresh fruit. The store also allows customers to fill up on water by the gallon.

Perkins said the north Arlington location will allow the company and store owners to “love on” their customers and the city.

“We see the area that we’re located in tends to be the hub of where the community gathers, so that allows us to dive into that local community,” Perkins said.

Kitten said the community has embraced her and Davis as they open the store. The duo has been active on Facebook groups and around town, offering tea samples to soon-to-be neighbors ahead of their opening. The water purification process, Kitten said, makes for a better iced tea.

“We’re so used to everything being so processed and so fake that when they taste it, it’s just really a breath of fresh air to taste how clean and pure and real our product is,” she said.

HTeaO has locations in Carrollton, Plano, Denton, Lubbock, Bedford and Weatherford. More locations are planned in Garland, North Lubbock and Lake Highlands.

I will give them credit, it certainly doesn't look like an old Church's. 

spacer.png

I’m in town for a wedding with my parents. My dad grew up here but doesn’t get to come back very often. Staying at the Renaissance downtown... where should I take them to lunch tomorrow? Not confined to this area but my parents are in the restaurant biz and I want to give my dad good options. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Take ‘em to our oldest deli. 

http://www.carshonsdeli.com

Assume you don’t just want a burger, but Kincaid’s is always good. 

http://www.kincaidshamburgers.com (ONLY the Camp Bowie location)

My freshman year at UT a buddy found a certain Chicotski’s ID in the street and gave it to me. Even though he was a few inches shorter than me and Jewish, it worked every time. Showed my dad one Christmas break since the guy was from FW and apparently he grew up going to their meat market or whatever it was all the time. Carshons might just be the spot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

My freshman year at UT a buddy found a certain Chicotski’s ID in the street and gave it to me. Even though he was a few inches shorter than me and Jewish, it worked every time. Showed my dad one Christmas break since the guy was from FW and apparently he grew up going to their meat market or whatever it was all the time. Carshons might just be the spot. 

Carshon's is the answer.  And the chocolate pie with warm filling and sweet meringue is the best dessert in Cowtown imho.  Cash only and limited seating at last glance.

Hit Brix yesterday. Very solid. Nice bark on the brisket, and big meaty pork ribs. Also, free Hop Fusion beer while waiting for your order!

Trevor is an awesome dude and damn good at what he does. I love his brisket but I have this thing where anytime I go somewhere and they have a hot chicken sandwich I have to get it and his did not disappoint. The Dank Sauce he puts on it is phenomenal
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

This is that strip center behind Mexican Inn, now open. 

Another good Mexican restaurant moves from Sylvania Avenue.  Has worked well for Enchiladas Ole (and for those of us who can now find a parking space), hopefully will work out for Mariachi's.  They were actually located in a gas station on S. Sylvania just south of 4th street and their barbacoa tacos are some of the best I have found in Cowtown.

On 5/16/2021 at 6:39 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

So @Etexhorn13, what was the verdict? 

I pitched Carshons deli but my parents were wanting a burger and a beer so we went over to 7th street. I’d been to magnolia street tavern a few years ago and thought it was a cool place, but unfortunately they were closed. Don’t know if that’s permanent or what but it looked a little neglected. We just walked over to Shaw’s - my dad wanted some spice so we got the three alarm burgers. They seemed to be hit by the understaffing going on in a lot of places, but their back patio was neat and the burger was spicy so I’m not complaining. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I had to go check too. 

A missing 10-year-old boy has been found safe after an almost 15-hour search by police and community members, police confirmed about 11:20 a.m. Wednesday.

Fort Worth police and dozens of community members had been searching overnight for the missing child, Joseph Brandenburg, who had last been seen in the 10100 block of Lone Eagle Drive around 9 p.m. Tuesday.

“I just thank God he’s back,” said the boy’s father, who declined to give his name. He expressed thanks to neighbors and friends in the community. Family members said the boy had run away from home and was found in the woods near his neighborhood.

“As soon as he pulled up in the driveway, I opened the door and seen my uncle crying and I knew that he was home safe,” cousin Ramiro Zamarripa said. He said Joseph was not hurt.

“I think he was just frightened. Fifteen hours alone in the woods, I’d be pretty frightened too. With no shoes on ... no food, no drink.”

Joseph had last been seen leaving his home wearing a gray muscle T-shirt and black and white basketball shorts with no shoes, according to a news release from police. After leaving home, he was seen running across White Settlement Road.

His home is in Fort Worth, west of White Settlement and east of the Tejas Trails neighborhood.

Police and members of Fort Worth Memories, a historical preservation group that engages in community service, were searching the area between Academy Boulevard, Chapel Creek Boulevard, and White Settlement Road.

Marion “Tiger” Pipkin, a member helping police coordinate with Fort Worth Memories, said the group had between 75 and 80 people assisting in the search.

Community members were out in droves searching for Joseph, calling his name and checking storm drains, trash cans and overgrown grass and looking into back yards and the windows of any abandoned houses.

Police used a helicopter, dogs and horses to assist in the search.

Lauren Torres had been searching since Tuesday night, when she and her friend saw a post on a White Settlement community watch Facebook page.

“There were some people out here searching with their whole family last night,” Torres said. “Kids, parents and grandkids, the whole family.”

• Hook 'Em 1

I checked the Facebook page and it was him. The first time I went there I didn’t finish my breakfast.  He noticed and recommended a different item that was cheaper.  I always admired him for that. He seemed like a really nice guy nearly always stopping by and checking on me. 

When was the last time anyone stepped foot into Ridgmar? 

The Military Museum of Fort Worth didn’t open at its new location on Veterans Day like officials wanted to after closing on Aug. 31, 2020, in the Stockyards.

Museum officials were delayed several months as they raised money for a second bathroom at their new location in Ridgmar Mall.

But the museum is open now at the mall, just in time for the Memorial Day weekend and other military holidays.

“We have many types of interactive exhibits,” said Tyler Alberts, executive director of the museum, in a recent email to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “We have expanded scenic elements that put you in the wars.”

The new museum is in Ridgmar Mall, 1726 Green Oaks Road, on the west side on the lower level between JC Penney and Dillard’s.

Admission is free for anyone who previously served in the military or is on active duty, and for children 10 and younger. Children 11 to 17 and seniors 65 and older pay $5. All non-service-connected adults 18 to 64 pay $10.

It’s open Thursday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sundays noon to 5 p.m., and officials say there are plans to expand the days and hours of the museum once they get more volunteers.

The museum will be open Memorial Day from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

The museum’s new 11,000-square-foot home is a whole new world for what had been a tiny museum on Dorothy Lane near Camp Bowie Boulevard.

The museum then moved to the Stockyards. The Stockyards location where the museum moved in 2017 had 4,200 square feet of room for exhibits and tourists.

At the Stockyards, the little museum was able to show off such exhibits as a World War I trench and a room from a World War II farmhouse where soldiers established a command center.

The Stockyards location gave the Military Museum of Fort Worth a boost for several years.

But an increase in rental costs in the Stockyards forced Alberts and the museum to search for a new home.

And Ridgmar Mall officials were excited to have the museum.

“Ridgmar is always looking for new and unique uses to round out the tenant mix,” mall general manager Colby Welanetz said in a September 2020 email to the Star-Telegram “A great example of this would be SeaQuest and the Military Museum fits in nicely with that plan.”

The museum with its more than 15,000 displays and artifacts is located in the northwest section of the mall.

It includes items from World War I, World War II, the Korean War, Vietnam and the Gulf Wars.

Alberts said on Monday that museum officials still plan to have artifacts in a “mobile museum” format, meaning members will set up displays at places such as libraries, retirement centers and convention centers.

“One of the things that is really different than a lot of museums is that everything here is tied to someone,” Alberts said in a September 2020 interview. “We’ve just got a lot of really rare and interesting stories that are tied to people, and not just history.”

Donations can be made to the museum online at http://militarymuseumfortworth.org