Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

Went to Neiman’s before they moved out of there before heading across the parking lot to watch my buddy’s band play at Spencer’s Corner. One and only time I’ve ever had to pull my gun on another human being let alone point it at them. Not interested in either of those, returning to Ridgmar or the gun situation ever happening again.

I worked at that Chilis for a few years when the mall was still full. They told us Friday night we were having an employee meeting at 8am the next morning. At that meeting they told us to pick another chili's to work at because that one was closing immediately. 

Its been over 10 years and you can still see the booths and furniture inside through the windows, nobody has even attempted to move in.

This is some fucking instant karma. 

The man accused of stabbing and carjacking an Uber driver in Grapevine has died from injuries he suffered in a traffic accident in Weatherford, according to Grapevine police.

Cesar Soto, 33, of Lewisville, was killed Friday in a Weatherford wreck. Details of the crash were not immediately available on Wednesday.

Grapevine police were notified of Soto’s death on Monday.

The fatal accident occurred just over a week after the assault and carjacking in Grapevine.

When was the last time anyone stepped foot into Ridgmar? 
The Military Museum of Fort Worth didn’t open at its new location on Veterans Day like officials wanted to after closing on Aug. 31, 2020, in the Stockyards.
Museum officials were delayed several months as they raised money for a second bathroom at their new location in Ridgmar Mall.
But the museum is open now at the mall, just in time for the Memorial Day weekend and other military holidays.
“We have many types of interactive exhibits,” said Tyler Alberts, executive director of the museum, in a recent email to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “We have expanded scenic elements that put you in the wars.”
The new museum is in Ridgmar Mall, 1726 Green Oaks Road, on the west side on the lower level between JC Penney and Dillard’s.
Admission is free for anyone who previously served in the military or is on active duty, and for children 10 and younger. Children 11 to 17 and seniors 65 and older pay $5. All non-service-connected adults 18 to 64 pay $10.
It’s open Thursday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sundays noon to 5 p.m., and officials say there are plans to expand the days and hours of the museum once they get more volunteers.
The museum will be open Memorial Day from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The museum’s new 11,000-square-foot home is a whole new world for what had been a tiny museum on Dorothy Lane near Camp Bowie Boulevard.
The museum then moved to the Stockyards. The Stockyards location where the museum moved in 2017 had 4,200 square feet of room for exhibits and tourists.
At the Stockyards, the little museum was able to show off such exhibits as a World War I trench and a room from a World War II farmhouse where soldiers established a command center.
The Stockyards location gave the Military Museum of Fort Worth a boost for several years.
But an increase in rental costs in the Stockyards forced Alberts and the museum to search for a new home.
And Ridgmar Mall officials were excited to have the museum.
“Ridgmar is always looking for new and unique uses to round out the tenant mix,” mall general manager Colby Welanetz said in a September 2020 email to the Star-Telegram “A great example of this would be SeaQuest and the Military Museum fits in nicely with that plan.”
The museum with its more than 15,000 displays and artifacts is located in the northwest section of the mall.
It includes items from World War I, World War II, the Korean War, Vietnam and the Gulf Wars.
Alberts said on Monday that museum officials still plan to have artifacts in a “mobile museum” format, meaning members will set up displays at places such as libraries, retirement centers and convention centers.
“One of the things that is really different than a lot of museums is that everything here is tied to someone,” Alberts said in a September 2020 interview. “We’ve just got a lot of really rare and interesting stories that are tied to people, and not just history.”
Donations can be made to the museum online at http://militarymuseumfortworth.org

Movie theater there is actually not bad, I think that technically counts as setting foot in there. Was great for pulling up a movie list on a crappy weather day and making it garage to theater seat in ~10 min

On 5/27/2021 at 12:34 AM, bluto said:

Movie theater there is actually not bad, I think that technically counts as setting foot in there. Was great for pulling up a movie list on a crappy weather day and making it garage to theater seat in ~10 min

Cinemark Rave theater has been a regular destination for us for over ten years.  Their movie watcher rewards beat all others and have been to four movies since they reopened after the pandemic.  Walked the mall in March and remembered when I worked at Neiman Marcus in '91-sad panda.

Anyone got Colonial parking tips? Going tomorrow around noon. The current plan is to Uber. The wife is preggo, so we got a DD if we end up driving.

The last three years we’ve gone we parked at Farrington Field and took the free shuttle over. Not sure what the situation is now with the Covid crap but if it’s an option I highly suggest it over Uber.

Only if the gate at 15 tee/14 green is open but this is where we always park and walk. Super easy in and out. Not sure how pregnant the wife is but it’s not a bad walk if you’re already walking all day.

Edit: doesn’t look like the gate is open.

e13b0789ab19253f0e55aa8f02451d8d.png
98af0d9490a71f726a9bf98dbc3a4b31.png

On 7/10/2019 at 3:48 PM, spystud13 said:

Anyone been here by Wesleyan? 

https://www.bens3b.com/

On 7/10/2019 at 3:51 PM, Errestaurants said:

Drove past it last week. That whole area has been redone. Looks pretty good. Hope it all works out. 

On 7/10/2019 at 3:55 PM, NOMAAA said:

surprisingly better prices from the guy that brought you the $15 blt at fixture.

On 7/10/2019 at 5:03 PM, dmtx said:

I thought prices were great, until my burger arrived. Burgers are thin, you need to order a double patty. Solid biscuit. Overall good food. 

On 7/13/2019 at 2:08 PM, SWCFROG said:

Went last night with the dirty leg.  Chichen sammich is righteous.  Also had tater tots and the double patty burger.  Yeah, I'm a fat pig and the dirty leg beat me at Ms. Pac Man.

On 7/24/2019 at 7:20 PM, spystud13 said:

Went to Triple B, had the buffalo chicken biscuit & loaded tots. Pretty damn good, but that is just a weird fucking location. Real slow in there tonight too, hope that isn’t the norm. 

They gone, blamed it on the staffing shortage. 

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Weekend update: Dutch’s kinda sucks, M&O slaps. Botanic garden is sick, especially when you get to bang off one of the service paths in the woods. 

Had a college girlfriend at UNT that always wanted to meet at the Ft. Worth Botanical Gardens for sex. We would do it in the passenger seat of her 89' Camaro, or if she was feeling adventurous, under a blanket while watching kids play soccer by the picnic area.

CHIEF

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

Had a college girlfriend at UNT that always wanted to meet at the Ft. Worth Botanical Gardens for sex. We would do it in the passenger seat of her 89' Camaro, or if she was feeling adventurous, under a blanket while watching kids play soccer by the picnic area.

CHIEF

image.png.38eafff1ce4343f2deb1a198dbd8e38f.png

• Like 1

Smiley’s has been mentioned on here a few times, they get to be on TV. 

The little barbecue shed in Denton County is about to be famous.

Smiley’s Craft Barbecue, the work of a former Austin pitmaster bringing craft barbecue to first Ponder and now Roanoke, will be in the spotlight at 8 p.m. Mondays this summer on Food Network’s new season of “BBQ Brawl.”

Smiley’s pit boss Brendan Lamb is one of 12 “barbecue stars” nationwide teamed with chef-hosts Bobby Flay, Michael Symon and Eddie Jackson for 10 weeks of smoking and grilling to compete for the title “Master of ‘Cue.”

Lamb spent years in California trying to make it as an actor before coming home to become a pitmaster in Austin and now in Roanoke in a brewery at 206 N. Oak St.

So — of course — Food Network has discovered him through barbecue posts on Instagram.

“I got this message one night saying, ‘Would you like to be on Food Network?’“ Lamb said.

“I’m on the show with mostly trained chefs — French chefs, bakery chefs ... I didn’t even go to cooking school,” he said.

Smiley’s began as a nondescript trailer and shed on Farm Road 156, then moved last year to the brewery in Roanoke.

“We were open three weeks before the pandemic and had a line out the door every day,” he said. “Then — nothing.”

Crowds have picked back up Thursdays through Sundays for Lamb’s brisket, bacon burnt ends, fried potato “brisket balls” and secret-menu items such as a “brisket sundae” of mashed potatoes topped with brisket, corn, beans, Fritos and barbecue sauce.

A prime-time weekly Food Channel show will get Lamb the attention he otherwise couldn’t get in Roanoke, although Texas barbecue fans find him.

He’s in Roanoke because “Babes Chicken was my go-to place all the time growing up,” he said. “My mission is to have my own place in Roanoke.”

Obviously, “BBQ Brawl” isn’t spilling any secrets about how Lamb finished in the contest.

The show’s publicity says two rounds of challenges in each episode test skills “along with how well they work together as a team.” while judges Carson Kressley, Rodney Scott and Brooke Williamson decide which team failed and which competitor was the “weakest link.”

The season premiere is a special 90-minute show from Austin.

Viewers “are going to see what everyone’s got,” Lamb said.

“Everybody brings out their big flavors. You’ll see me trying to impress the three captains.”

He’s the “keep it simple” guy on the show, he said.

“Some people overthink barbecue with their 15 different spices,” he said. “I want the meat to shine through. I just try to get good beef and add salt and pepper.”

He had to adjust his recipes.

“I cook my barbecue in 16 hours — the longest I had to cook anything on the show was four hours,” he said.

The first episode of “BBQ Brawl,” “Introduce Your ‘Cue,” will show at 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. June 14, noon and 9 p.m. June 17 and several more times over the network schedule.

Smiley’s is open for lunch and dinner Thursdays through Sundays, with specialty items such as burnt ends or brisket balls running low by early afternoon; 817-675-2656, facebook.com/SmileysBarbecue.

18 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

The abandoned building behind (in front?) of where JJs Hideaway used to be was being torn down this morning. The zoning change for that big development going in was approved yesterday.fbdd8a2108c215ef3f9accda27bf6949.jpg

Saw that yesterday on the way to breakfast at Righteous Foods.  More housing/apartments coming here?

3 minutes ago, pch said:

Saw that yesterday on the way to breakfast at Righteous Foods.  More housing/apartments coming here?

Big project.

On Van Cliburn Way, across from the museums, billionaire John Goff’s Crescent Real Estate has already started work on a mixed-use development. It's slated to include a 5-story 200-room luxury hotel, with a rooftop bar, 175 luxury residential apartment units, and an 8-story 160,000-square feet office building

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/new-apartments-retail-space-hotels-coming-to-fort-worth-cultural-district/287-1ebf76f0-f37a-4e13-b140-4a61b183b60c

• Hook 'Em 1

Who knew this was a thing? Saw the episode last night, that mother fucker is RICH. 

Serial Entrepreneur Ron Sturgeon has been collecting automobile memorabilia and rare toys for more than four decades, so the news that he was considering selling some of his collection attracted wide interest. 

When American Picker Mike Wolfe and his brother and fellow picker Rob Wolfe found out that there could be some auto memorabilia and some rare toys for sale, they stopped by DFW Elite Toy Museum to visit with Ron as they picked their way across Texas. The Wolfe brothers went nuts when junkyard Ron opened the doors to his jaw-dropping Fort Knox of high-end toys. 

"Mike Wolfe and his brother Rob were super cool to hang out with," said Sturgeon, who sold a few items from his collection to the pickers. "They both have great respect for people who collect and for the stories behind the pieces that they pick," said Sturgeon. 

The episode featuring Ron and the museum, titled Fort Knox of Toys, will air Monday, June 14, 2021, at 8 pm CST on The History Channel. Learn more at https://next-episode.net/american-pickers. 

Sturgeon is hosting a watch party at Tarrant Events Center in Haltom City by invitation only Monday night with his fiancée, Linda Allen, who is also in the segment. He said he expects some surprises since he hasn't seen the episode yet.

Sturgeon was previously featured on CNBC's Blue-Collar Millionaire in a segment that chronicled his success in the auto salvage industry. In addition, he and his King Charles Cavaliers have appeared in an episode of HGTV's Pet Palaces, and he has filmed sizzle reels for other reality shows. 

"I am proud to have a toy museum in Haltom City, where I started my first business, a VW repair shop, nearly 50 years ago," said Sturgeon. The dog-friendly museum is open from 9 am to 5 pm on weekdays with free admission and welcomes group tours by appointment. 

"We hope a few people who see us on American Pickers will want to stop in to see arguably the best toy museum in America and the only museum of its kind in Haltom City," said Sturgeon.

About DFW Elite Toy Museum
DFW Elite Toy Museum is a free museum open to the public located at 5940 Eden Drive in Haltom City, TX. The museum includes more than 3000 pieces collected by serial entrepreneur and real estate developer Ron Sturgeon. The museum was recently featured in the DFW guidebook "100 Things to Do in DFW Before You Die." To learn more, visit the dog-friendly museum's website at dfwelitetoymuseum.com or follow the DFW Elite Toy Museum on Facebook.

Any of you Fort Worth insiders know about one of the latter tracts of Edwards Ranch...specifically on the riverfront between Bryant Irving & Clearfork development?  Thanks.  Good intel=good money 

Any of you Fort Worth insiders know about one of the latter tracts of Edwards Ranch...specifically on the riverfront between Bryant Irving & Clearfork development?  Thanks.  Good intel=good money 
I believe the part west of the tollway is phase 3 or whatever of the residential development south of Arborlawn. I will look up who owns it tomorrow.

On 5/14/2021 at 11:51 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

My freshman year at UT a buddy found a certain Chicotski’s ID in the street and gave it to me. Even though he was a few inches shorter than me and Jewish, it worked every time. Showed my dad one Christmas break since the guy was from FW and apparently he grew up going to their meat market or whatever it was all the time. Carshons might just be the spot. 

Necro.  Where did your father go to high school and when did he graduate?  Chicotsky's on Hulen was a couple of par fives from where I grew up.

I’ve never actually been to a Starbucks, but that seems like a lot. 

A Starbucks Pickup is coming to Fort Worth.

The new Starbucks Coffee location downtown in Old Fire Station No. 1, 215 Commerce St., will house a new Starbucks Pickup store dedicated solely to filling smartphone and mobile orders, City Center announced Monday.

Pickup stores are takeout counters for Starbucks Rewards members ordering ahead. So there’s no order counter and little seating.

The Starbucks Pickup location is three blocks from a more showy Starbucks Coffee at 141 W. Third St. in neighboring Sundance Square. The new Pickup store will be closer to the Tarrant County Courthouse and courtrooms.

The pickup location will occupy a 2,460-square-foot space in the first floor of a fire station built in 1907. A restaurant, 203 Café, operates upstairs.

No change to the exterior was described in a state permit application. Remodeling is estimated at $373,756.

The old fire station, nestled under a corner of the Wells Fargo Tower, was restored in 1982, according to fortwortharchitecture.com. It operated until 2016 as the history exhibit “150 Years of Fort Worth,” showing artifacts from the Fort Worth Museum of Science & History.

The two City Center towers, one home to Wells Fargo and the other to Bank of America, remained under original management when nearby Sundance Square was split off under separate management in a 2019 land deal.

Edited by shadow_operative2.0

On 6/10/2021 at 8:12 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Smiley’s has been mentioned on here a few times, they get to be on TV. 

I checked out Smiley's last Friday.  Massively underwhelming.  

The most accurate word I can use for them is "immature".  They don't understand the concept of a customer focused business model.  

There were three of us that went, and upon arriving, we walked right up to the counter with no one in front of us.  I ordered a half pound of moist brisket, half pound of ribs, and a sausage link.  The lady running the counter (I think the Pitmaster's fiancée/girlfriend) told us to have a seat in the Food Hall, and they'd call us when it was ready.  No problem.  15-20 minutes later, they called us up.  We thought they needed to go out to the pit to get more meat, but they never left their corner of the Food Hall.  Don't know what the hold up was, but we waited around wondering what was going on.  Our order was put on a sticky note, and stuck on the heating lamp over the butting board.  Weird, but okay.  We all thought that they had forgotten about us.  

Finally get our food, and I was disappointed in the portion size.  My half pound of brisket was a thin sliced piece of meat.  Any other place and that would have been considered a quarter pound at most.  I got one rib, the size of my index finger.  I asked the lady running the counter if that was a half pound of meat for each and she said yes.  I was shocked.  

The brisket was good, not worth driving through all the construction on I-35 and Roanoke, but good.  Very moist.  The rib was below average. It needed to be cooked a little longer, and it was really tough.  The sausage was average.  The others in our group that ordered the turkey said it was good.  I can't comment on that.  

No plastic ware to cut the sausage link or brisket with, and when I asked, the lady behind the counter said "we must be out, go around and look at the other restaurants in the food hall, maybe they have some".  They didn't.  Had to steal napkins from the other restaurants too, Smiley's didn't have any.  No bread either.  That was strange. 

I think this place has potential, but they need to up their game.  They need to put some focus on the customer.  Just a very immature operation.  

Goldee's is still the standard in FW for me.  I haven't had Dayne's yet, but I plan on it.  Maybe they can beat out Goldee's. 

$5.75 a slice seems a little excessive. 

A Dallas pizzeria known for its late-night vibe is making its Fort Worth debut with horseback deliveries.

Serious Pizza is anything but, and will prove it July 1 with mounted visits throughout the West 7th district near its first Fort Worth location, a former mattress store at 2728 W. Seventh St.

Serious Pizza started in Deep Ellum more than 10 years ago and became a crowded hangout after club shows for giant 30-inch pizzas ($28.75-$38.50, by the slice $5.75 and up).

That’s more than twice the size of the popular 18-inch extra-large at nearby Hysen’s Nizza Pizza, 401 University Drive. But those pizzas sell for only $2-$4 a slice.

Serious Pizza’s largest is called the “Seriously Large,” and the entire pizzeria is targeted at the late-night munchie market, with decor true to its roots in Dallas’ Deep Ellum.

It’s already operating. But for the official July 1 grand opening, riders will deliver coupons and swag throughout the West 7th bar district.

The restaurant is owned by Dallas-based Milkshake Concepts, which also operates the Dirty Bones wings bar.

Serious Pizza serves lunch and dinner daily. It’s open until midnight weeknights and 3 a.m. weekends; 682-348-2482, seriouspizza.com.

spacer.png

And the failed Deep Ellum is back open. 

Bankhead Brewing, 611 University Drive, is a full-service restaurant, brick-oven pizzeria and brewery that replaced a Dallas outfit in a large dining space off West Seventh Street. It opened this week with dinner service and plans to add lunch hours in a few days. The menu ranges from salads and burgers to a family dinner with a tomahawk rib-eye.

spacer.png

On 6/25/2021 at 6:58 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

$5.75 a slice seems a little excessive. 

spacer.png

And the failed Deep Ellum is back open. 

spacer.png

The slice is freaking huge! Like the size of 2 large slices. Very little pizza sauce so it tasted dry. Pretty cool vibe though.